Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What's the recommended difficulty for a first playthrough?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I just started to play this and to be honest, it's not working well.

For some reason I wanted to try Supreme Jerk difficulty. I knew about the HP bloat thing but I guess I wanted to see it for myself.

Because of the enemies HP bloat the special attacks become somewhat irelevant during fights and the only safe way to win fights - for me - is to spam turrets, spiders, decoys, grenades and molotovs cause they have no cooldown and they waste incoming attacks.

This difficulty level seems completly unbalanced without any insight applied to it -> they simply doubled the mobs hp and the damage received. Basically each enemy is a tank while your characters are african starving children with guns.

This is complete garbage. I simply cannot see me going through this bullshit.

jackofshadows

Magister
Well, I got that only on that difficulty you have incentive to min-max (since after certain point it's a faceroll anyway). If you enjoy minmaxing at least somewhat then get over early game and you will be fine (I did enjoy it to degree but mechanics are total mess here, at least were at the release).

More often than not SJ also means that you better start to fight yourself or you're fucked. It's kind of "take it or leave it" aspect.

Dhaze

Cipher
Yes, Supreme Jerk really is a classic 'starts off painful, ends up painless' kind of difficulty.

Chances are you won't get past the early parts of the game without quite a bit of min-maxing; then once your snipers start to crit for 3k+ and get Chain Ambush, the HP bloat becomes inconsequential since every enemy might as well be made of wet rice paper.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
WL3 is a fine game. Even at 15 dollars its a steal, and honestly, u shouldnt think twice about getting it, unless u really are a poor broke ass bitch, as I reckon most codexers are.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thinking of doing a replay. Is the 2 dlcs worth getting? They seem to have poor reviews on Steam. Do they add much to the narrative?

Dhaze

Cipher
Thinking of doing a replay. Is the 2 dlcs worth getting? They seem to have poor reviews on Steam. Do they add much to the narrative?
wondering this myself too, kind of wnna play that monk nuke dlc

I'll quote myself on this:

Cult Of The Holy Detonation is not so good, but I enjoyed my time playing through the Battle Of Steeltown about as much as through the main game.

It has its problem. Mainly that whatever you do in Steeltown doesn't seem to have any real impact in Colorado at large, at least not while the game is still going on (end slides are dealt with appropriately), whereas it should be of capital import. Aside from that: a narrative misstep here; quite a contentious design decision for combat there; also one truly stupid take on a potential resolution to Steeltown's inner conflict; but overall no complaint that couldn't also be leveled against the main game.

As far as I'm concerned, the only good thing about Cult Of The Holy Detonation are its setting and the fact it offers and alternative to the oil provided by the Gippers or the Hard Heads.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm not a learning animal.

Started another run: 10 Charisma -> max Awareness -> max Coordination and then whatever.

I'm fucking mad that I've put Mechanic on my Sniper especially now when I realized what Sniper + Sneaky Shit combo could be.

That being said: the game is perfectly playable even on Supreme Jerk except for a few fights.

It's not a good idea for a 1st playthrough but I can reasonably finish fights without getting touched and this is insane.

For example I've just beat the Smugglers fight from Bizzare. Lost 2 turrets and 1 decoy.

Dhaze

Cipher
It's not a good idea for a 1st playthrough but I can reasonably finish fights without getting touched and this is insane.

It's weird, right? It has a bit of an "all or nothing" feel to it, where the all part is very much in your favor once you roughly understand how combat works.

They tried to change things a bit in the DLCs; but while it mostly works in Battle For Steeltown (though feels very forced), it makes a lot of fights in Cult Of The Holy Detonation tedious.

jackofshadows

Magister
I realized what Sniper + Sneaky Shit combo could be.
Yeah that was my first thought too but a bit later I realized what explosives + sneaky shit could be (basically broken shit).

By the way, I'd thought unlimited deploys was bug/oversight but turns out it's not. Kinda crazy.

One way or another, at least on SJ you have to think about things like that, I assume on lower ones it's enough to decently do the tactical part.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
By the way, I'd thought unlimited deploys was bug/oversight but turns out it's not. Kinda crazy.
I have 2 mechanics in my team and a turret takes like 4 AP therefore I can deploy 4 things in one round but it's not unlimited.
90DC80023FD406561B52AE7C689C03EE13F7407A

This fight was completly insane on SJ. My guys are kind of glass cannons therefore I had to spam 3 turrets and 3 sawbots cause only one attacker would fuckup my entire team. I honestly don't know an alternative approach on Supreme Jerk.

F4AF1A07B10657CB9794600D55949BCB7E43DAD9

Codex Year of the Donut
guess they didn't change the atrocious ~balancing~?
was exactly the same at release, enemies on SJ would kill you in a single turn but if you attacked first you could just kill them before they got to act
also the difficulty below SJ was incredibly easy so it was either play SJ or nothing

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
guess they didn't change the atrocious ~balancing~?
was exactly the same at release, enemies on SJ would kill you in a single turn but if you attacked first you could just kill them before they got to act
also the difficulty below SJ was incredibly easy so it was either play SJ or nothing
They improved the balance but all RPGs are ultimately impossible to balance.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The game is a mess.

I reached Denver and I was almost overwhelmed by boredom.

The game's setting is garbage. The world is empty. The reactivity was frontloaded. The writing is bad. The companions don't have personal quests. There is no balance and almost all fights are trash encounters on SJ. And there so much more crap in this game.

I'm not having any fun anymore. I don't know if I have the patience to carry on. W2 was better.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Why do most of my squad not get turns in combat? I think it's related to the Speed stat, but this seems really fucking stupid. It keeps alternating between one of my guys who has high Speed, and the entire group of enemies, and the rest of my squad just sits there like assholes doing nothing for the entire combat.

Modron

Arcane
That's you being ambushed, start combat yourself nobody will be greyed out in the first turn. If persisting across multiple turns it's because they aren't engaged in combat so move them closer to join the fight.

Trithne

Erudite
Wasteland 3? W3 is fully "your entire side acts, their entire side acts". Are you using the "ambush/defend/prepare" buttons to end a character's action, or pressing end turn?

You can also swap between your characters freely during your turn.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 3? W3 is fully "your entire side acts, their entire side acts".
Yeah, the game never told me that. I assumed it was a regular turn-based system because there are stats called Initiative and Combat Speed, and the game doesn't explain what any of that shit does.

Trithne

Erudite
Wasteland 3? W3 is fully "your entire side acts, their entire side acts".
Yeah, the game never told me that. I assumed it was a regular turn-based system because there are stats called Initiative and Combat Speed, and the game doesn't explain what any of that shit does.

Seems they initially made it a classic init system, and changed to squad sides late in dev, leaving behind a few vestigial limbs.

Combat Speed is how many tiles the character can move for 1AP, btw. Initiative I think only gets used at the start of a fight if you're ambushed to determine who gets to act in the surprise round.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom