Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Overall I'd say it's a much better game than Wasteland 2.

Is it though?

Yeah, as I've said several times here (so stop me if it's tedious :) ), it's not such a simple thing.

I would say that WL3 definitely has some improvements in the tactical gameplay and some QOL tweaks, and you could probably say it's a more professional product; but as an overall RPG experience, WL2 (Director's) is kind of ... well, better, more immersive, more real-feeling (and yes, the old skool diegetic UI does have a fair bit to do with that).

I feel like a Desert Ranger more when I'm playing WL2 than when I'm playing WL3. When I'm playing WL3 I seldom depart from the feeling of being a gamer sitting in a chair playing a fairly entertaining, well-made game; when I'm playing WL2, I get more moments of presence where I feel like I'm that character in that world.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
WL3 just isn't old enough for contrarians to like it yet, wait until WL4 releases.
I liked WL3 a lot more as a game that W2 on almost all fronts. What's missing in both is heart. For the lack of a better word.

Somehow the humor and worldbuilding of InXile's Wasteland games just comes up a little too short, but WL3 is an improvement.

It's like modern developers just can't hit it out of the park until after two attempts. I hope Microsoft whips them into making WL4

LizardWizard

Cipher
Tried playing W3 earlier but got bored. Has the DLC actually made the gameplayloop more interesting? Or just added more of the same?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
WL3 just isn't old enough for contrarians to like it yet, wait until WL4 releases.
I liked WL3 a lot more as a game that W2 on almost all fronts. What's missing in both is heart. For the lack of a better word.

Somehow the humor and worldbuilding of InXile's Wasteland games just comes up a little too short, but WL3 is an improvement.

It's like modern developers just can't hit it out of the park until after two attempts. I hope Microsoft whips them into making WL4

Rusty is a well-known debilitated cretin whose brain was permanently damaged by playing console ports.

It's like people who don't get Kubrick or Tarkovsky. They are forced to invent massive copes such as "That's nostalgia!", or "You're wearing rose-tinted glasses!"

No mate. Cruel fate has doomed you to eternal shit taste. That won't change even after 150.000 posts, as evidenced.

Codex Year of the Donut
if you need evidence that they're contrarians, just check what they said about wl2 closer to its release
For me they are both different shades of shit, however, speaking with absolute honesty, I do feel WL2 turned out somewhat better than Pirates of Eternity , maybe just for a notch or two but w/e

Even though combat in WL2 is more or less equally boring, the game didn't feature such a horrid, gangrenous ruleset that only the hipster-King can create. And didn't use so-called Endurance which is the most blasphemous travesty in the world of system design.

Also I'll argue that reactivity is noticeably higher. Namely, my godlike in PoE, despite having shit paste for a face, was always greeted in a most courteous manner such as , Good day Sir, how may I be of assistance?, or in a similar dick-riding tone. Wasn't this supposed to a depressing, wretched land, where children are born soul-less, and most are killed at birth, where I'm an abomination that's chased out of town by a pitchfork-wielding mob? It seems not, 'cause all I got during the entire game was one kid asking me if I can see properly. Whereas in WL2 any settlement knew what I did previously.

That said, I suspect even the world-building skills of inXile are noticeably ahead of the SJW HQ at neo-Obsidian. Maybe that's a matter of taste, or not, but I did have 10x more fun in the carefully-crafted Canyon of the Mad Monks, than I had with my entire PoE run. Furthermore, whereas PoE simply dries up by the time you reach Twin Elms, WL2 maintained some sort of narrative cohesion and C&C throughout the game.

I feel maybe companions were better written in PoE, but then again WL2 doesn't have companions (cause you create a party not a single character) so that's kind of a moot point. We can say trashmobs are a staple of both games though.

Now without going on and on, if PoE is a generous 2 on a scale from 1 to 5, I'm giving WL2 a 3

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tried playing W3 earlier but got bored. Has the DLC actually made the gameplayloop more interesting? Or just added more of the same?
The DLC is phoned-in trash. They stopped caring to go all-in on the big budget fps-rpg.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

Is it though?

Yeah, as I've said several times here (so stop me if it's tedious :) ), it's not such a simple thing.

I would say that WL3 definitely has some improvements in the tactical gameplay and some QOL tweaks, and you could probably say it's a more professional product; but as an overall RPG experience, WL2 (Director's) is kind of ... well, better, more immersive, more real-feeling (and yes, the old skool diegetic UI does have a fair bit to do with that).

I feel like a Desert Ranger more when I'm playing WL2 than when I'm playing WL3. When I'm playing WL3 I seldom depart from the feeling of being a gamer sitting in a chair playing a fairly entertaining, well-made game; when I'm playing WL2, I get more moments of presence where I feel like I'm that character in that world.

Completely agree with you

W2 was bigger, longer, harder. It had more dialogue options, had more C&C. World felt wide open like in W1 and you actually feel like a desert ranger

W3 is also fully voice acted making it more streamlined and with less paths. Places are smaller and emptier. Skills were combined so there are less skills

W3 is like a watered-down, console version of W2

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
The DLC is phoned-in trash. They stopped caring to go all-in on the big budget fps-rpg.
Yeah the DLCs were rather uninspired. Basically two dungeon runs or "mini" adventures, unconnected to the main game in any material way.

I like DLCs that are expansions, that add to the main game. This was not that.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet

Is it though?

Completely agree with you

W2 was bigger, longer, harder. It had more dialogue options, had more C&C. World felt wide open like in W1 and you actually feel like a desert ranger

W3 is also fully voice acted making it more streamlined and with less paths. Places are smaller and emptier. Skills were combined so there are less skills

W3 is like a watered-down, console version of W2
Luj1, I respect your views on RPGs. Which modern RPG should I play?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I like DLCs that are expansions, that add to the main game. This was not that.

Few people remember what an EXPANSION PACK meant back in the day

These meager breadcrumbs called DLCs aren't it

The only good modern example I can think of is perhaps Expedition (Underrail)

Modron

Arcane
KCD had some proper expansions and West of Loathing had one. Haven't played it but surely Fallout 4 had at least one proper expansion? Would say Trudograd but it's a stand alone. Limiting to 2015 is a pretty high bar to clear when looking for expansions, cuts out Dragon's Dogma, Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim lulz, et cetera.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Sorry I mean what is a good RPG for an old fag like me to play that is 2015 or older. Doesn't have to be an expansion. Sorry for hijacking thread.

Modron

Arcane
You've probably already played most since the last 5 years have been pretty lean in the proper RPG department. ATOM RPG + Trudograd, Fallout Nevada/Resurrection/Sonora, Archolos, Expeditions Viking, Titan Outpost, The Quest, Dex, Underrail, Age of Decadence, Shadowrun Hong Kong, and Brigand Oaxaca. Maybe West of Loathing, Vigilantes, Knights of the Chalice 2, Bloodstained, and Elex. Space Wreck is coming out early December.

Edit: Forgot to mention Kingdom Come: Deliverance and A Legionary's Life which is currently half off so check the demo if you have not already.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Luj1, I respect your views on RPGs. Which modern RPG should I play?

Escape from the Pit (2011) - fantastic design and low exposition sciency writing a la Jules Verne, great exploration and atmosphere, good combat
Grimoire (2017) - Wizardry VII on steroids, could be the best blobber of all time, great writing, humor, combat and character building
Underrail (2015) - brilliant combat, character building and crafting, world and story nothing special but made by one guy
Kenshi (2018) - squad based game set in an alien world similar to Dune or Morrowind, free form exploration, go anywhere and do anything from the start
Brigand: Oaxaca (2017) - fun hybrid of Deus Ex and Morrowind, spells, drugs, demons and uzis in a brilliant South American setting
Neo Scavenger (2014) - perhaps not a pureblood CRPG but very cleverly designed little game, great atmosphere and very fun to play
Legend of Grimrock (2012) - great atmosphere and core systems, spawned a realtime blobber revival

EDIT: KotC I-II

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
You've probably already played most since the last 5 years have been pretty lean in the proper RPG department. ATOM RPG + Trudograd, Fallout Nevada/Resurrection/Sonora, Archolos, Expeditions Viking, Titan Outpost, The Quest, Dex, Underrail, Age of Decadence, Shadowrun Hong Kong, and Brigand Oaxaca. Maybe West of Loathing, Vigilantes, Knights of the Chalice 2, Bloodstained, and Elex.

Ain't nobody got time for that shit

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Wasteland 3 was a very fun and enjoyable cRPG, it could have been longer, and had more paths and C&C.
Ultimately, it was an improvement over WL2 in basically every way, and it was a solid cRPG thats shares alot of the good stuff to obviously fallout 1+2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom