Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

Codex Year of the Donut
I thought he was referring to the base game at first. I'd have trouble believing his work was anything more than drafts for the DLC. He stopped working with them before the game even released, right?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I thought he was referring to the base game at first. I'd have trouble believing his work was anything more than drafts for the DLC. He stopped working with them before the game even released, right?
Data mining back near release revealed that this stuff was cut content, repurposed into DLC

So, judging from the quest strings ripped out of the game, quite a bit of content seems to be cut - something like 3 locations. Library (that one looks especially big), Steeltown, Cheyenne Mountain. 1 or 2 companions (one new and second one may be Ralphy, but that one is not guaranteed, though). DLC fodder, for sure.

Avellone's terrible designs couldn't be salvaged into a fun enough game in time and then it turns out they couldn't be salvaged into fun period. :M

As if his work in Wasteland 2 was any better.

Ag Center and Highpool weren't great, but they weren't Cult of the Holy Detonation bad.

warci

Educated
We've been playing coop almost every day for a week now. I don't get what all the bitching is about that it is a bugged mess and bwaaah bwaah. It works incredibly well in coop, they really thought this one through with some great quality of life multiplayer mechanics. Absolutely love it so far.

Hellion

Arcane
By the way, the game is on sale at Fanatical for almost 10 euros, for the next 2 days or until stocks last. It's the lowest price so far according to isthereanydeal.com.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
We've been playing coop almost every day for a week now. I don't get what all the bitching is about that it is a bugged mess and bwaaah bwaah. It works incredibly well in coop, they really thought this one through with some great quality of life multiplayer mechanics. Absolutely love it so far.

'You dont get what all the bitching is about... and you find yourself on the KODEX and ask such questions.

Maybe review your statement. And your life.

warci

Educated

'You dont get what all the bitching is about... and you find yourself on the KODEX and ask such questions.

Maybe review your statement. And your life.

Butthurt because only your mom wants to play coop with you? I'm talking about the base game btw, don't have the DLC's.

warci

Educated
Does coop involve handing over the mouse to your coop partner?

MP in games like this is a retarded idea.

no, in fact it's totally the opposite: you're in the same world, but you can each do things completely separate. For example one player can start a conversation with an NPC. The other player doesn't even have to join in, but has the choice to do so even halfway the conversation. You can see the other players' mouse hover over the dialog options and you can choose to either hand over control or select the preferred option yourself. Same goes for item management, crafting, combat, etc.

I am probably going to buy this since its on sale with GOG right now. Will skip the DLCs until I get it working on Linux. Anyone play it on linux yet?

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why is the Supreme Jerk difficulty setting, the hardest difficulty in the game, fronted by a black woman? Wouldn't it be more logical to have a white male? How many black women do you think beat games on the hardest difficulty? Also the player base is predominantly white and male for these type of games.

I'm getting politically correct vibes from this game...

e: There's also almost only black dudes among the portraits.

e2: No proper blond hair colour either. There's something wrong here...

e3: Few suitable faces if you intend to create a white character.

Last edited:

warci

Educated
I am probably going to buy this since its on sale with GOG right now. Will skip the DLCs until I get it working on Linux. Anyone play it on linux yet?
works just fine (running Manjaro + I3). Even playing coop sessions with a windows pleb has not given any issues.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Questions are asked of Avellone of just how responsible he was for Cult of Holy Detonation's utterly terrible content, but we may have to wait for definitive answers. https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/1471551628939464706

Avellone said:
Regarding Wasteland 3, how much involvement did you have on Cheyanne's FADERS faction? They were definitely the most interesting and potentially well-written faction of the whole game, and it was a massive shame to see them entirely cut from the DLC.
The principle of the faction and their look were decided when passed on to me, and then I fleshed out Cheyenne Mountain based on that. I agree on the FADERS, they were a really cool concept (but I can't take credit for them).

Avellone said:
question asker said:
Were any elements of your Cheyanne Mountain kept for the Cult of the Holy Detonation DLC, or was it entirely reworked/removed?
Beats me, is there a Let's Play I can scan through? Or a Wiki summary?
A Let's Play, sure, but unfortunately no wiki summary.

Of course one couldn't expect him to have actually played this thing. :lol:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Do you listen to your own albums?

Aziz: “Kanye are you sitting in your own house bobbing your own head to your own music?”
Kanye: “Yeah, these beats are dope.”

I've played my own games multiple times. The number of hours Josh Sawyer put into New Vegas and Pillars of Eternity was in the hundreds. :M

Yosharian

Arcane
Completed the game, it was alright I guess. Some annoying design decisions.

Made a Steam page with the builds I used, with some post-completion tweaks.

Completed the game, it was alright I guess. Some annoying design decisions.

Made a Steam page with the builds I used, with some post-completion tweaks.
The most annoying of them for me was alpha strikes always being the objectively best way to approach every encounter. I started every scenario with a preemptive high-velocity explosive ordinance and it really trivialized a lot of the fights. Oddly enough I think if friends and foes were not as visually distinct, a lot of this could have been avoided. I don't know who okayed "insane clown posse" as a primary antagonistic force in this game, but they really should reevaluate things. Shit design like that contributes to this franchise's other primary flaw as whole: not having a distinct character of its own beyond "wacky".

Also yes, my PP is ironic.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom