Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 3 coming to Fig on October 5th, introducing two player co-op and cinematic conversations

Weasel
Last few pages seem to be heading in a familiar direction

The last few days on the codex made me realise that I am not a good fit for the Codex. I'm usually a calm, racional person, who doesn't like hurting others, and just wants to enjoy videogames. I probably lost all my respect because I'm not partaking in the shit slinging which are present in some threads, and rather ask people to not do that.

First, I was contemplating leaving the codex, self-ejecting. But there are parts of this community which worths one's time, and it is good to communicate with these people. So I just decided that I change the way I'm interacting with this forum. From now on, I'm not going to give a shit if some people are whining about something. Let them do their thing, what do I care. My time and sanity worth more than that. I will only post and reply to stuff which is about an actual discussion. I will stay strong and not reply to the insults. These guys can fuck themselves, I pity them in a way with all their hate and negativity.

Now, say hello to J_C the Wise.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

The last few days on the codex made me realise that I am not a good fit for the Codex. I'm usually a calm, racional person, who doesn't like hurting others, and just wants to enjoy videogames. I probably lost all my respect because I'm not partaking in the shit slinging which are present in some threads, and rather ask people to not do that.

First, I was contemplating leaving the codex, self-ejecting. But there are parts of this community which worths one's time, and it is good to communicate with these people. So I just decided that I change the way I'm interacting with this forum. From now on, I'm not going to give a shit if some people are whining about something. Let them do their thing, what do I care. My time and sanity worth more than that. I will only post and reply to stuff which is about an actual discussion. I will stay strong and not reply to the insults. These guys can fuck themselves, I pity them in a way with all their hate and negativity.

J_C the Wise was really trying, but the codex killed it (hence the avatar changed back to the old one). Still, I like to believe that I managed to save some of his essence. And in reality, I reply much less, so some progress has been achieved.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
My longstanding prediction for Wasteland: New Vegas was wrong then. It happens sometimes.

Maybe they will use the concept for a new franchise.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
And the more elite part of RPG clientele will sooner choose Iron Tower's Colony Ship RPG or Styg's RPG (possibly Underrail 2 although he might want to release something else first) than this.

Yep, Fargo is going to be shattered by the loss of those 10 people to other RPG's.
And the more elite part of RPG clientele will sooner choose Iron Tower's Colony Ship RPG or Styg's RPG (possibly Underrail 2 although he might want to release something else first) than this.
Yeah, the sales of AoD and Underrail really blew Wasteland 2 out of the water as well.
No shit Sherlocks. That's not my point, my point is that popamole players will sooner choose something of Witcher 3 quality rather than a game that tries to please both hardcore players and popamole players (can't be done). Same goes for RPG veterans, I doubt that turn based combat will be enough to encourage them to buy W3. So far W3 has nothing interesting to offer, the thing that Brian Fargo boasts about the most are multiplayer function and better graphics (which is one of the reasons game will be shorter) which tells us the target he's aiming at:

While the game itself promises to be a bit shorter at 50 hours, the graphics and the feature set will be significantly beefed up.
Last time Brian "Facebook games lover" Fargo wanted to add social interactivity so you could share your thoughts via Facebook or some shit like that, now he's finally implementing it.

Uqahs: You've briefly mentioned social features that will be included in Wasteland 2. Have any of that ideas been yet cristallized?

Brian Fargo: Yes that concept got me more user comments than our 16 page vision document. Our fan base reacted quite negatively to that concept so we have not spend any effort looking into it. Our first order of business needs to remain making this the BEST single player game possible and all efforts are on that for now.
At this point he doesn't care about his core clientele that helped him found Wasteland 2. He showed that many times already by developing console versions, shitting on the Codex and bullying small indie studios by sending them C&D letters but now he can afford to do so because he has the resources and apologists like you J_C . He wanted to add MP and social shit earlier but had to drop it because his core clientele didn't like it, now he's doing it again but this time we're too small of a group compared to his whole clientele.

P.S.
“The audience is very focused on making sure you stay focused,” Fargo says. “I was playing a Facebook game once and it posted on my newsfeed what I had done.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

J_C the Wise was really trying, but the codex killed it (hence the avatar changed back to the old one). Still, I like to believe that I managed to save some of his essence. And in reality, I reply much less, so some progress has been achieved.
I find the internet in general is a better experience if you dont take it too seriously and just go with the flow, and ignore the ones you hate.

There are some truly vile people in the codex, but it is still a good source of crpgs and the most active community which aligned closest to my personal taste.

My mind just automatically filter the shit and let the fun part pass. It is called growing a thicker skin
no moderation, no censorship, no bullshit. Don't take away people's freedom, you do the moderating for yourself.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yep, Fargo is going to be shattered by the loss of those 10 people to other RPG's.

Yeah, the sales of AoD and Underrail really blew Wasteland 2 out of the water as well.

Which of course means Wasteland 2 is the superior game and Fargo is doing the right thing by moving away from those supposed ideals he kept babbling about in the first Kickstarter. No publishers, direct communication with fans, focus on gameplay etc etc, bullshitting and more bullshitting.

But yeah, I'm also very worried that he won't allow me to give him only $20 and instead I have to give him $25!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I find the internet in general is a better experience if you dont take it too seriously and just go with the flow, and ignore the ones you hate.

There are some truly vile people in the codex, but it is still a good source of crpgs and the most active community which aligned closest to my personal taste.

My mind just automatically filter the shit and let the fun part pass. It is called growing a thicker skin
no moderation, no censorship, no bullshit. Don't take away people's freedom, you do the moderating for yourself.
:bro:

ArchAngel

Arcane

Which of course means Wasteland 2 is the superior game and Fargo is doing the right thing by moving away from those supposed ideals he kept babbling about in the first Kickstarter. No publishers, direct communication with fans, focus on gameplay etc etc, bullshitting and more bullshitting.

But yeah, I'm also very worried that he won't allow me to give him only $20 and instead I have to give him $25!
More like what he said before no longer applies so now he has to find other ways to keep his company afloat.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I rather enjoyed W2; the combat was fun, and it ran well enough on my laptop to have the less than stellar graphics not matter much to me
Easily worth $25 just for the entertainment value
What is going to be shocking is that Fargo's kid will probably be like a teenager this time around...how time flies

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
The same core clientele that thought multiplayer-championing Divinity: Original Sin was better in every way?

You do have a point here. There are a bunch of closet popamoles here who love D:OS for its shinny graphics and decline elements such as co-op, but that is socially acceptable, even if the game was released for consoles, because Swen is such a bra. The impression I have is that if the blacklisting didn’t happen or if Fargo was more sympathetic with the Codex, they would be saying this game would be a new GOTY.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
The question is whether MCA will be a stretch goal again or he will be in the project from the very beginning? Unlike in the case of WL2, he is now indepenedent, so he could contribute much more to the project.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The question is whether MCA will be a stretch goal again or he will be in the project from the very beginning? Unlike in the case of WL2, he is now indepenedent, so he could contribute much more to the project.

He's founding his own studio and has hinted that he wants to lead a project again.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
No shit Sherlocks. That's not my point, my point is that popamole players will sooner choose something of Witcher 3 quality rather than a game that tries to please both hardcore players and popamole players (can't be done). Same goes for RPG veterans, I doubt that turn based combat will be enough to encourage them to buy W3

But that is not how these things work, Goral. You should have known better after the last couple of years. Most codexers have inconsistent standards and celebrity whorism syndrome. In fact, I bet that even most players who know that Stygian and ITS games are superior to this farce, would still buy, or back, or review, or discuss this thing to no end because they want to be in the loop of the last cRPG gossip and worship obscure celebrities. Thus, even if Stygian or ITS games blow the other games to smithereens, they will "lose" at the end, because they will receive less money and attention. That is the reality. If you check, you will find that some of the same people who bought one copy of Underrail gave much more money to grotesque things such as the Shadow Run kickstarters. People suck. The best we can do is try to promote the games we want and ignore this farce. Let Infinitron fill the news page with these shitty games and focus on the things you do like.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Infinitron has already plastered this interview everywhere else, so I'll just quote the main bits:

MMORPG: Will the sequel be using the Pillars engine like Torment, or will it be using the WL2 engine?

BF: We'll be using a modified and updated version of the Wasteland 2 engine, which will provide a significant visual upgrade from Wasteland 2. Unity has come a long way since we first started using it and we've just gotten better at using it. Additionally, we’re utilizing the Pillars of Eternity conversation editor again, which is the same we used in Torment, which allows our writers to quickly mock-up and step through branching conversations.

MMORPG: Will modding and level building be possible in this installment?

BF: We have no current plans for mod tools, as we want to deliver a very solid core experience. That said we always know enterprising fans will create mods, and it's certainly not something we're totally ruling out down the line.

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.c...-Is-Coming-Its-Going-Rocky-Mountain-High.html

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

He's founding his own studio and has hinted that he wants to lead a project again.

I have a hunch that the "studio" that he's founding (if that's really what he asked a name for) at this point may be more like a brand name that he's adopting for his personal endeavours. "Wasteland 3, developed in association with Chris Avellone's Puzzlewell Studios."

He's said that he can't work full-time on a game until his family issues are resolved.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The lack of modding support is the first instance of an outright cut feature compared to WL2: DC. Wonder how many more there will be.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
The lack of modding support is the first instance of an outright cut feature compared to WL2: DC. Wonder how many more there will be.
Wait, there was modding support for WL2? I just thought people were just tinkering with the files, but it was not officially supported.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wait, there was modding support for WL2? I just thought people were just tinkering with the files, but it was not officially supported.

They quietly released some mod support info in January: https://wasteland2.inxile-entertain...rs-cut-modding-support-update/?act=view&id=33

There was never an editor or "tools". It was a bullshit stretch goal and they're right to throw it away.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom