Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter We need more buttons

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
What Zombra said, and I'd say the most important thing is button differentiation. You have to be able to tell at a glance which button is which. Right now your WIP trolls all blend together, like the Trump buttons.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, it is good pixel art but not in the style of the Codex trolls. And the differentiation between them should be more clear.

One difficulty is probably that face expressions in black against red are less clear than black against yellow.

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
And the differentiation between them should be more clear.

It’s all the same smiley. I started on the one in the left and improved it to the one on the right. They’re not meant to be individual smileys. That’s why the ones on the left look rough.

Right now it uses about the same amount of colors as the book. What I’d be going for is using the same palette as much as possible so that everything looks homogenous.

Simple line art drawn in 1/8 second, solid dark red, black dots for eyes. Know your source material.

The thing is that, as it stands, there’s no homogeneity with the buttons. They’re all different sizes and resolutions. The goal would be buttons who have the same resolution as well as the same size. It’s usually the case with smileys.

I could use less colors and make it simpler. But then it won’t match the same style as the book.

Anyway, I’ll try to make it simpler and post a new version.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I could use less colors and make it simpler. But then it won’t match the same style as the book.

The style should be probably the one of the existing Codex trolls. It is a difficult task in any case to get the same style as the Codex trolls as well as the same clear expressions as the yellow smileys. I would try to do the "monocled", "laughing", "roll eyes", "sad" and "saluting" first. If you get those right, you can try the more difficult troll faces. Or you can do just five or six.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think anyone especially wants homogeneity with the buttons.

Do you honestly think we're going to replace them all with your work? Because I'm going to need to approve your version of sheeeiiit before we take another step.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
If there's opposition towards a book being informative, what would be representative then? A light bulb?
Take the head of The Nameless One from Planescape Torment. Resize it so it wouldn't look like shit.

The meaning remains the same -"informative", but the underlying meaning "UPDATED MY JOURNAL".

This is the type of button suited best for KKKodex, after all, PST still tops that the 101

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
Please don't change any of these buttons, they're fine as it is. Only the "funny" button needs to be changed.

Laughing smiley is the only one that needs to be replaced.

You’ve said so twice already so your opinion on this is clear, I assure you. It’s ultimately up to the community to decide however, not one individual in particular (except DarkUnderlord). I won’t tailor what I do on what you want individually although I’ve read and understood your request.

Though replacing a few of the generic yellow smileys with well done trolls may be worthwhile.

That’s fair regarding the generic yellow ones as the other ones are more unique. I’ll focus on those as a priority namely:
Funny, retarded, butt hurt, thanks and salute.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
I wanted to give ''informative'' button a shot first.
CYDpIif.png

The current button is 18x18 with 225 colors (therefore non-pixel art).

225 colors. The madness! the size is just an insurmountable 858 bytes!

Have you ever thought of indexing the image so it doesn't break your internet connection? here, I made a version with just 8 colors:
CYDpIif.png

You might have to wait 5 minutes for it to load on your 14.4k modem though.

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
Ok, other versions (for funny):
A.
MV6ZUGx.png

B.
ptzJ4hJ.png

C.
dIiiQg3.png

I know the troll uses black lines for the eyes and mouth but it's a mistake in my opinion as both are dark colors which hurts readability because of the low contrast. I can sort of bypass that by using a lighter color around the eyes:

D.
SOM17Nt.png

E.
kVfhWYw.png

Yes, it's still too complex, I know. I'm wondering:

Which set of horns? Shorter, longer? Teeth, no teeth, upper teeth only, lower teeth only? I'll keep on simplifying.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
The nice thing about the current funny button is that it's animated. One of the few buttons that should be. I'm also not really a fan of pixel art in general so if it can't be made to look like the usual codex trolls I'd say just leave it alone.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hope this has been good exercise but it seems like a waste of time. None of those are readable next to the others. And where did that godawful pink come from?

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Zizka

I would take something like this as a template (the head):

:greatjob:

and then take the black on yellow smiley face expressions and put them on his face. The shape of the face may need to be shortened too for it to work better.

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
Zizka

I would take something like this as a template (the head):

:greatjob:

and then take the black on yellow smiley face expressions and put them on his face. The shape of the face may need to be shortened too for it to work better.

Why not, worth a try! I'll give it a shot.

EDIT: Forgot this one:
F.
ZT5XNEr.png

Ok, some more:

G.
p3edDEz.png

H. Further simplified.
pXFCvs2.png

I. Further simplified.
pqHGQ0T.png

J.
goVjY5i.gif

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
Different versions:

K.
bfVlhdl.gif

It's two frames. The movement is the same as in the current 'funny' icon (same number of frames as well).

L.
tFX2Xnv.gif

Two frames, rounder.

M.
DCWtFbG.gif

Three frames, shorter ''horns''.

N.
WQOva85.gif

11 frames.

O.
i3S2SFG.gif

Eyes closed, no teeth, head movement.

Thanks! I've started on working on the 'shit' icon. I had to google piles of poop to find a good photographic reference but I finally found one. I'd rather put in spoilers as it's pretty disgusting to look at all things considered.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Gettin' there, L. with the closed eyes of O. I'd recommend adjusting the readability of the expression to better fit the smaller resolution. Perhaps a darker shade for the eyes and mouth, along a more contrasting shade of pink for the tongue.

Zombra

Patron
I think L with the closed eyes of O should be pretty close. Def don't need to expand the color palette. Lose the teeth, they don't read and we want to see more mouth interior anyway. Maybe animate the jaw instead of the face, it's weird to see the eyes sliding up and down on the skull. Just a thought.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom