Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter We need more buttons

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Sorry to say, but current funny is meh, yet it is still better than the presented options, as it is clear.

And frankly, the proposed trolls do not capture or represent the Codex troll's character or attitude. Plus they look like horned pigs.

IMO, it's a bad idea to change buttons if the proposed replacements aren't better. The bar is high, I guess.

Semiurge

Cipher
Ok so, first foray. I will rework the icons based on the feedback I get. Just make sure you point out what needs fixing in your opinion.

I wanted to give ''informative'' button a shot first.
CYDpIif.png

The current button is 18x18 with 225 colors (therefore non-pixel art).

Note: all the logos below are too big. I know. I'm posting them to know which style you guys would like the most. I'll resize and rework it after.

A.
QaO2wQN.png

48x28
This is the one I made. It's 48x28 so it's *probably* too big (since it can't be resized because it'll mess the pixels up).

B.
ILVxmqU.gif

57x52
This is one is animated and the design is different. I added the ''i'' for informative inside the book. I wasn't sure if I should go for animation or not. Some buttons are animated while others aren't. It's probably way too big as well but I could reduce the size of this one by half I think.

C.

27x20
This one is much smaller but not animated.

So you can say which one you prefer and why and which modification you'd like to be done in order to improve it. Animation or no animation (too distracting?).

gLY3yJF.gif

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
Gettin' there, L. with the closed eyes of O. I'd recommend adjusting the readability of the expression to better fit the smaller resolution. Perhaps a darker shade for the eyes and mouth, along a more contrasting shade of pink for the tongue.

I think L with the closed eyes of O should be pretty close. Def don't need to expand the color palette. Lose the teeth, they don't read and we want to see more mouth interior anyway. Maybe animate the jaw instead of the face, it's weird to see the eyes sliding up and down on the skull. Just a thought.

Gotcha, I’ll try again. The reason I moved the face in one instead of the jaw is because that’s how the current yellow one does it (moving the face up and down 1 pixel).

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
Next set:
P. Removed the teeth, made the horns shorter. Moved the jaw instead of the full face.
SbU7gyo.gif

Q. More frames, different timing.
zIAgIIN.gif

R. Back to two frames, shorter horns, tongue, bigger eyes.
xQfpokV.gif

S. Longer chin to make it more like the original reference of the troll. Change the shape of the horns as well to better represent the troll. Also changed the eye shape for that reason.
4LTGCLF.gif

T. Non-frowning, different head shape, different horns.
iupiTEO.gif

Lady Error Ol' Willy Ghulgothas
Your notes/feedback would be helpful and appreciated.

LqbjSfA.gif

Last edited:

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Different versions:

K.
bfVlhdl.gif

It's two frames. The movement is the same as in the current 'funny' icon (same number of frames as well).

L.
tFX2Xnv.gif

Two frames, rounder.

M.
DCWtFbG.gif

Three frames, shorter ''horns''.

N.
WQOva85.gif

11 frames.

O.
i3S2SFG.gif

Eyes closed, no teeth, head movement.

Thanks! I've started on working on the 'shit' icon. I had to google piles of poop to find a good photographic reference but I finally found one. I'd rather put in spoilers as it's pretty disgusting to look at all things considered.
These are all pretty cool, but none of them look like they're laughing. More like trying to devour your soul or smthn. I'm scared.

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
Maximus
Those aren't the latest version. I changed them because I also thought they could look more like they were laughing.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Mate let's be honest, people don't care, DU won't do shit, most users don't see a problem with the current icon. If it bothers you that much, use the redirector add-on and replace it with a thing you like. You're just throwing your time and effort into the bin.

Codex Year of the Donut
Mate let's be honest, people don't care, DU won't do shit, most users don't see a problem with the current icon. If it bothers you that much, use the redirector add-on and replace it with a thing you like. You're just throwing your time and effort into the bin.
AFAICT he's just doing it for learning/practice, I don't think he cares about all the negative feedback and probably likes it.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Mate let's be honest, people don't care, DU won't do shit, most users don't see a problem with the current icon.
DU did say out loud that he wanted to update some buttons. He's a man of many mysteries but it doesn't seem like him to blatantly (and publicly) lie to a friendly stranger's face to waste their time for no reason.

fork

He's a self-loving pseudo-artist who spams the whole forum with his mediocre shit, puts probably thousands upon thousands of hours in, but doesn't realise the talent simply isn't there.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder if the funnies would look better if the jaw stayed in place and the whole upper head moved. Flapping jaw on motionless head has a strange look to it. Probably too low res for it to look natural either way I guess.

Last edited:

fork

Mate let's be honest, you're an untalented, self-important hack.

There, ftfy.
Why are you so butthurt about this guy?

Read the last couple of pages, it's hard to miss.

In case you're too lazy or you don't get it: the normal approach is to create a button and post it. If it's good enough and fills a niche not covered yet, the administration might consider adding it; if so, great honour! But not this freak, he must insult the existing buttons he wants to replace first. And not only does he want to replace them, he wants to replace them with Codex troll versions! Sounds great, right? But now DU has to personally confirm first that he's theoretically interested, because our artist's time is valuable. And then this cretin comes up with the dozens of shit-versions you couldn't tell are Codex trolls nor that they're supposed to replace the lol button?

Yeah, fuck this asshole!

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
This laughing button
rating_lulz.gif
is total shit, and :lol: is even worse. I very much welcome Zizek's efforts to rapeplace it with a codexian troll, and hope he continues to improve the animation until it feels right. Btw, the monocle troll is already very good (but perhaps the monocle itself should be of a different color, to more easily differentiate it?)

Most of the other buttons I would leave alone, they're fine as they are. Maybe the crying one should be redrawn as well, but it's not as atrocious as the default laughing ones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom