Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter We need more buttons

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I take it it's a cultural thing where different countries do things differently?
This,different armies and cultures have different salutes.

salute-to-women-womans-day.gif

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Which one would be more appropriate? Open palm like on the left or the right?
Three fingers (thumb, pointer, middle) together to symbolize the Holy Trinity, the other two fingers folded (to symbolize Christ's divinity and humanity), touch forehead (in the name of the Father), navel (and of the Son), left shoulder (and of the Holy), right shoulder (Spirit), middle of the chest (one God, amen).

Peachcurl

Arcane
Quick question for the military inclined. I'm looking at reference pictures for the military salute:
Which one would be more appropriate? Open palm like on the left or the right? I take it it's a cultural thing where different countries do things differently?

This discusses the two salutes:
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MilitarySalute

In the English speaking world, which here means the US and the commonwealth there are two types of salutes. The first, with palm facing outwards, is the "British military salute." This is used by the armies and air forces of most Commonwealth countries. Its origins are with the British Army. The other which is palm downwards, originating with the Royal Navy, is the British "Naval" salute (this was originally introduced because sailors' and officers' hands were often stained with tar through life aboard ship, and showing a dirty palm was considered to reduce the dignity of the gesture). This is used by the Naval forces of the Commonwealth and the US Armed Forces. This is often in popular parlance seen as an American salute, even in the commonwealth. There has been examples of nitpickers and scolds attacking works (or real life) where British or Australians are depicted as saluting palm downwards as an example of Eagleland Osmosis.

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
Thanks, I'll go for the one on the right then. Seems to be the most common one.

2cyZv18.gif

As far as I know, a salute doesn't involve throwing your hand upwards after though.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
In other news, this was previously requested by Zombra regarding the 'thanks' button. I used the same head shape as 'prestigious' but made the horns slightly longer.

First shot
I.

Different sign, face and smile.
II.

Different sign and smile.
III.

I don't like this one as it's greatly simplified but I know some prefer when it's more simple. Also, capital letters this time around.
IV.
IV is the only one that's minimally acceptable, and is keeping with the style of existing trolls. The other three are basically prosper faces.

Still, IV is not simplified enough. It's like you're trying to make a big icon with details, but that just makes the icon hard to read at its real size.

Compare the eyes and the contouring:
Thanks2.png
vs
rating_rage.gif

Angry dude has thicker and clearer contour lines, well-defined eyes, and is very readable. Yours is muddy as fuck. And what's that white spot on his chin, cum?

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
I quite like the 'thanks' button I've made. I think the faces look great. I doubt I'll modify them further except maybe for the palette. Or maybe add in an animation. We'll see.

First shot at 'salute':
ji4mZCv.gif

Last edited:

Kev Inkline

(devious)
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I quite like the 'thanks' button I've made. I think the faces look great. I doubt I'll modify them further except maybe for the palette. Or maybe add in an animation. We'll see.

First shot at 'salute':
ji4mZCv.gif
Dude, I think you should make and suggest new ratings instead of trying to replace the old ones. Otherwise this soon'll look like an anime forum.

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
Unreal, you're out of your depth here. Animation isn't only about making things bouncy, no.

Speaking of retarded youtube video, it's probably based of Richard William's book:
VH0IP86.jpg

Animation is one of the hottest areas of filmmaking today--and the master animator who bridges the old generation and the new is Richard Williams. During his fifty years in the business, Williams has been one of the true innovators, winning three Academy Awards and serving as the link between Disney's golden age of animation by hand and the new computer animation exemplified by Toy Story.

Right know you're having opinions about things you don't understand. Read the bits about animation in this book. It's available online. Then make up an opinion about it.

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
I've reworked the laughing smiley based on Lady Error's feedback.
6Jx0huW.gif
or
MZQWgx3.gif

I think that's the best it's going to get as far as the 'funny' smiley is concerned. I think I've made all the changes various members have requested.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I've reworked the laughing smiley based on Lady Error's feedback.
6Jx0huW.gif
or
MZQWgx3.gif

I think that's the best it's going to get as far as the 'funny' smiley is concerned. I think I've made all the changes various members have requested.
Left one is better. I feel like the chin should be more pointed though. The codex troll is pretty skinny and angular. These are both more round.

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
Honestly, as far as the shape of the face is concerned, it’s the best I could come up with. I’m fine with anyone doing an edit to change the chin but I don’t see myself modifying this one further. I still want to do butthurt and try a few more versions of ‘prestigious’ (although that’s also close to being done on my end).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom