Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter We need more buttons

Semiurge

Cipher
Skull and crossbones, previously requested by Darth Roxor:
aPEpRCX.gif

or

TUjI6AI.png

A stop sign means stop, but a post sign looks like it's warning me that there's a post. It makes no sense that way.

Again, that's fine, I understand your point. There are traditional 'stop' signs in the spoiler of that same message.

The trolls should be the guideline for future buttons. Keep them simple and flat like the dumpster fire
crispy.gif

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
Judging by your continued attempts to replace perfectly fine rating icons in this thread, I suspect that also the traditional 'stop' rating might be hard to understand, indeed.

Either your conclusion is right or your premise is wrong. Either way, it’s irrelevant honestly. Keep on reading:

What it constructive criticism?
I’ll give some examples and rate them in terms of usefulness.

tHcgRZJ.gif
Pointing out specifically how to improve an existing piece. That’s the most valuable and the most useful. Here are some examples:

The trolls should be the guideline for future buttons.

Left one is better. I feel like the chin should be more pointed though. The codex troll is pretty skinny and angular.

No nose. No 3D perspective. Simple mouth and eyes. Oval face. Slight shadow. Nothing more.

A stop sign means stop, but a post sign looks like it's warning me that there's a post. It makes no sense that way.

Vw08jr2.gif
Saying what you like or don’t like. It’s important since everyone should have the right to express their preferences but not as useful as #1. This one is pretty straightforward.

Current salute is fine.

7JXL5w9.gif
I’m having a hard time coming up with #3 since everything I’m interested to read will fit in 1 or 2. I guess comments like:

« I don’t want anyone to submit any new buttons »
and the like. I mean, the most astute have probably noticed by now that this doesn’t really do much. I’m doing this for fun and will keep doing it as long as I enjoy it. I think your best bet is to save you some grief and put me on ignore. Incidentally, if people stopped reacting or responding, I’d stop making anything.

gQZaQdc.gif
Then we get to actual shitposting. I think we all know what shitposting is:

Because he's a self-important, retarded little fuck.
(For the record I’m actually quite tall).

I have a pretty good eye to spot the mentally unhinged (keep in mind we’re talking about buttons here) and won’t read those just like I won’t start a conversation with the rambling, homeless guy talking to himself downtown. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Fork’s face on the news for trampling a baby to death because it woke him from his nap. Stay away.

DjVsJPi.png
Finally, there’s what I call the ‘retardatron’. It’s not as well known and actually exists beyond the lower levels of #3. While someone on #3 might listen to reason, the ‘retardatron’ is for people who you can’t reason with. If often includes people who have uneducated opinions. A classic being « animation is making everything bouncy », or anything fantadomat related really. Not for the faint of heart.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
‘Constructive criticism only, please.’ = be nice to me I want to be seen as valuable even though I'm not don't hurt my feelings if you do u suk :mad:

Actually, isn't this kind of hypocritical? This guy's criticism of our criticism isn't very constructive. Make u think!!

Last edited:
Unwanted

†††

Patron
I have a pretty good eye to spot the mentally unhinged
Says the guy who has been flooding an unimportant button thread like his life depended on it. You need to get a life, too bad you won't read this because you're a snowflake.

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
now that's dedication to trolling :popcorn:

Shhhhhh... I haven't reached 10 'stop posting' yet.

Another thing of note is that constructive criticism isn't always valid, i.e. the consumer doesn't always know best. This means that, although feedback is welcome, it doesn't mean it'll be implemented because not all ideas are good ones. Case in point, I'll often do multiple revisions because what I think is a good idea at first turns out not to be one.

A good example of this was the suggestion to move the jaw instead of the face for the 'funny' smiley. Turns out it didn't work out. That's fine but just to show that not all suggestions will work. Some are worth trying, others not so. Another example, let's take the prestigious smiley:

jn5I9Sc.png

One suggestion was to have the monocle the same color as the original smiley, let's see how it looks:
PdURKZH.png

I wouldn't say it's an improvement personally (I actually added a second color so that the original blue isn't so clashing). Even if I tone down the color a bit it still doesn't look as good as without in my opinion (it would also mean adding more colors instead of sticking to a strict palette):
qpIUoNT.png

I'm not sure though, maybe I could still toy around the blue to make it work.

Another criticism was about some not liking the original animation (not that the faces above are longer to make it look more like the original):
t2JFQEc.gif
and new one
JrkR8er.gif

Question: Should I stick to the concept on the one on the left or the one on the right?

(the 'glass glare' idea is from Cybersix at 0:08-0:09):

Whole process below:

At the moment, I'd got for something like this:
68qm7SW.png

Animation wise, this is the process (it's all the same smiley):
UHNK7J3.gif

Self-criticism: the monocle bounce is too much. The mouth could use some variation a bit.

K1B2ZI6.gif

The timing is wrong and will probably be told that it's too complex with 17 frames... The head movement might be too much.

8eP6O2p.gif

Still probably too much, might have to tone it down further. I like the chain movement though.

YhDsMYE.gif

Timing is better but it could be better.

GlUblBr.gif

Some stray pixels on the forehead. Could look more pretentious.

XiyoFqW.gif

Getting ever closer...

So you guys basically don't like long animations, got it. I guess you wouldn't like my 'liar' smiley then:
43hZIqq.gif

I reworked the 'funny' smiley so that it fits with the prestigious one.
AHmHPp8.gif

or just without a nose:
7bSGWH3.gif

So the reason I included the background is because that's the current backdrop for the button 'box'.
Agree:
xHtZlfd.png

a6eImZi.png

ykafEHK.png

Disagree:
CXEVjXf.png

yzBMcQu.png

KC9mFq7.png

ninA5w0.png

IojI84a.png

DDhjmMu.png

LDy33mu.png

VP37ugw.png

C6CqCpQ.png

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Agree with the above post. In general, your animations are too long and elaborate and have got stages where they don't look like what they're supposed to look like, which makes them harder to identify at a glance. Less is more, if you can pull it off.

Semiurge

Cipher
Shhhhhh... I haven't reached 10 'stop posting' yet.

Another thing of note is that constructive criticism isn't always valid, i.e. the consumer doesn't always know best. This means that, although feedback is welcome, it doesn't mean it'll be implemented because not all ideas are good ones. Case in point, I'll often do multiple revisions because what I think is a good idea at first turns out not to be one.

A good example of this was the suggestion to move the jaw instead of the face for the 'funny' smiley. Turns out it didn't work out. That's fine but just to show that not all suggestions will work. Some are worth trying, others not so. Another example, let's take the prestigious smiley:

jn5I9Sc.png

One suggestion was to have the monocle the same color as the original smiley, let's see how it looks:
PdURKZH.png

I wouldn't say it's an improvement personally (I actually added a second color so that the original blue isn't so clashing). Even if I tone down the color a bit it still doesn't look as good as without in my opinion (it would also mean adding more colors instead of sticking to a strict palette):
qpIUoNT.png

I'm not sure though, maybe I could still toy around the blue to make it work.

Another criticism was about some not liking the original animation (not that the faces above are longer to make it look more like the original):
t2JFQEc.gif
and new one
JrkR8er.gif

Question: Should I stick to the concept on the one on the left or the one on the right?

(the 'glass glare' idea is from Cybersix at 0:08-0:09):

Whole process below:

At the moment, I'd got for something like this:
68qm7SW.png

Animation wise, this is the process (it's all the same smiley):
UHNK7J3.gif

Self-criticism: the monocle bounce is too much. The mouth could use some variation a bit.

K1B2ZI6.gif

The timing is wrong and will probably be told that it's too complex with 17 frames... The head movement might be too much.

8eP6O2p.gif

Still probably too much, might have to tone it down further. I like the chain movement though.

YhDsMYE.gif

Timing is better but it could be better.

GlUblBr.gif

Some stray pixels on the forehead. Could look more pretentious.

XiyoFqW.gif

Getting ever closer...

So you guys basically don't like long animations, got it. I guess you wouldn't like my 'liar' smiley then:
43hZIqq.gif

I reworked the 'funny' smiley so that it fits with the prestigious one.
AHmHPp8.gif

or just without a nose:
7bSGWH3.gif

So the reason I included the background is because that's the current backdrop for the button 'box'.
Agree:
xHtZlfd.png

a6eImZi.png

ykafEHK.png

Disagree:
CXEVjXf.png

yzBMcQu.png

KC9mFq7.png

ninA5w0.png

IojI84a.png

DDhjmMu.png

LDy33mu.png

VP37ugw.png

C6CqCpQ.png

I like the 'liar' button.

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
As well you should, it's great as in anything I do.

What's bothering me at the moment are the horns. As mentioned by someone else I forget, they look like devil horns as opposed to the troll's horns (ears?) which I can't get quite right.

Retarded:
ue5QAeD.png

My point is, I can do better.

This being said, I too am having trouble getting the 'retarded' aspect across visually. How do you depict retardation (I realize I'm opening myself up to a lot of jokes here). Ideas and suggestions are welcomed as usual. I think an animation would help here although I'm aware you guys aren't quite keen on long animations.

KO58qvB.gif
or
qDbDq7y.png

I'm pretty happy with these two.

Previous attempts:
I've tried some animations:
0SMqLAS.gif

Too busy...

A.
bCykwvi.png

B.
9lAb9Mr.png

C.
x2zmiwz.png

D.
Wtp0Dt4.png

E.
DR6kl0i.png

Peachcurl

Arcane

What's bothering me at the moment are the horns. As mentioned by someone else I forget, they look like devil horns as opposed to the troll's horns (ears?) which I can't get quite right.

Retarded:
ue5QAeD.png

This being said, I too am having trouble getting the 'retarded' aspect across visually. How do you depict retardation (I realize I'm opening myself up to a lot of jokes here). Ideas and suggestions are welcomed as usual. I think an animation would help here although I'm aware you guys aren't quite keen on long animations.

KO58qvB.gif
or
qDbDq7y.png

Previous attempts:
0SMqLAS.gif

Too busy...

A.
bCykwvi.png

B.
9lAb9Mr.png

C.
x2zmiwz.png

D.
Wtp0Dt4.png

E.
DR6kl0i.png

I like C, tho maybe it helps to have some drooling (in a blue-ish color?) instead of the tongue (if that is what is hanging out)?

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
It's drool, yes. I try not to add in additional colors if I can avoid it. Will give it a short, thanks my dude.

fork

Your creations are all so terribly shitty that I'm convinced the entire administration loves laughes their asses off at the effort you spend.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ghulgothas

Arcane

Retarded:
ue5QAeD.png

KO58qvB.gif
or
qDbDq7y.png

Previous attempts:
0SMqLAS.gif

Too busy...

A.
bCykwvi.png

B.
9lAb9Mr.png

C.
x2zmiwz.png

D.
Wtp0Dt4.png

E.
DR6kl0i.png

For the retarded icon, I'm more partial to the ladder 2, D & E; particularly E's lopsided eyes and D's fatter tongue. I can understand wanting to go with the new route of the drooling-idiot interpretation with a mindless smile, but the original is based on the facial structure and shared expression of those with Down's Syndrome. Speaking of depicting retardation.

Mismatched eyes (squinted potentially) & an open mouth occluded by a fat tongue/bad teeth (drool potentially) are the two design necessities. An actual expression is another matter; I think the one of mindless vacancy the original has fulfills it's intended derogatory use better, but one of dumb glee with a crooked smile might work similarly.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with for Sheeple and It Was Aliens.

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
Thanks, Gulgothas. I just read your message so I'll try another version with your input.

I'm honestly surprised Fork is still around (as in among the living).
SlVfmZQ.png

Seems to me we're getting the short end of the stick with Kurt Cobain and Chris Cornell gone. Hardly seems fair.

I tried with some drool but not convinced just yet.
8cOfsk2.gif

Updated my .txt. It's just a smiley but I felt like giving it a shot.
6cIe3KJ.png

This is as small as I can get it. I would've liked to reach 22 px high like the other ones but it didn't look right. It doesn't really matter as it's a smiley and ot a button however.

Process below:
jZjyUbb.png

Lfdf7uy.png

eEcwrDA.png

kYzx1qz.png

B6m1WJa.png

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
I can't pull off the drool just yet. Turns out drawing someone retarded is harder than I tought.

F.
7yOd2KZ.png

G.
yqCAtrb.png

H.
Zr8jfvP.png

I.
sgZg5Su.png

J.
e72ICh6.png

K.
EF7wJMr.png
cdptajw.png

Too squinty probably. *sigh* still doesn't look right.

Apprently they have a smaller mouth too:
kx87Cn7.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom