Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Weird West: Definitive Edition - top-down immersive sim action-RPG from Arkane founder Raf Colantonio

Nothing like getting a tutorial detailing the mechanics of BEST FRIENDS 4EVER after you bandage a half-eaten bandit so he'll tell you where he stashed some treasure, then you pull out your machete and he reacts with confusion and fear as you kill him. Initial impression is the game's fairly easy and the maps aren't very interesting, but this is still in extended tutorial territory so it's quite possible that's why. Would be more of an issue if it wasn't so fun to shootdodge everywhere. Also seems like the game may be favoring playing a good guy since all the quests thus far have been +reputation and I only lose reputation from killing unarmed prisoners (-10, sheriff reacts but understands) and killing healed bandits (I think it was -5. Think I gained rep from saving him then lost some on killing) but I don't know if there are knock-on consequences to those like if I let the bandit go after healing him he'd get up to no good, despite having BFF status and the game telling me he'll come to my aid. It's cool but the easy combat and potentially distant C&C is making it hard to judge after a few hours of fucking around. Do like having timed quests though, games always get bonus points for that.

edit: guess this is the thread where the codex finds out the wild west had a lot of minorities, wonder why
The Wild West had a lot of White, Chinese and Hispanic people, and yes, some Blacks, but certainly not so many that they outnumbered the White population North of 16637 to 1. The Wild West also didn't have a lot of interracial relationships, openly gay cowboys, letters strewn about that exist for the sole reason of informing you that racism is bad, people standing around just waiting for someone to come up to and speak with them so they could lament about how racism is bad, modern identity politics, black female Sheriffs and not every single woman you came across was the strong independent type, but this game sure seems to have a lot of all of that.

AFAIK the Wild West also didn't have anthropomorphic pigs, werewolves, or Satanic cannibals practicing literal black magic.

I mean, wtf Wolf-Eye? It's like you're not even trying for historical accuracy or something.

Skdursh

Savant
edit: guess this is the thread where the codex finds out the wild west had a lot of minorities, wonder why
The Wild West had a lot of White, Chinese and Hispanic people, and yes, some Blacks, but certainly not so many that they outnumbered the White population North of 16637 to 1. The Wild West also didn't have a lot of interracial relationships, openly gay cowboys, letters strewn about that exist for the sole reason of informing you that racism is bad, people standing around just waiting for someone to come up to and speak with them so they could lament about how racism is bad, modern identity politics, black female Sheriffs and not every single woman you came across was the strong independent type, but this game sure seems to have a lot of all of that.

AFAIK the Wild West also didn't have anthropomorphic pigs, werewolves, or Satanic cannibals practicing literal black magic.

I mean, wtf Wolf-Eye? It's like you're not even trying for historical accuracy or something.
Nice strawman completely ignoring the context of the comment I replying to so you can smug fanboy like a bitch. Retard.

Regardless, it doesn't matter that the game is historically accurate, the issue is that half of the budget was spent on pandering to modern Progressive politics.

The Wild West had a lot of White, Chinese and Hispanic people, and yes, some Blacks, but certainly not so many that they outnumbered the White population north of 16637 to 1. The Wild West also didn't have a lot of interracial relationships, openly gay cowboys, letters strewn about that exist for the sole reason of informing you that racism is bad, people standing around just waiting for someone to come up to and speak with them so they could lament about how racism is bad, modern identity politics, black female Sheriffs and not every single woman you came across was the strong independent type, but this game sure seems to have a lot of all of that.

Edit -

Also: Forced Telemetry that you can't opt out of.
lmfao

How many Westerns can you name off the top of your head with a (main) character that isn't a white guy? Apart from Jango and Blazing Saddles.

How many Western-themed videogames can you name with a protagonist that isn't a white Clint Eastwood type?

Whenever anyone starts going on about "SJWs this", "performative wokeness that", my eyes immediately glaze over and a part of me dies.

The anti-SJW, "all lives matter", "what about White Men??? Won't anyone think of the White Men??????" brigade are not bright people.

It's a mixed blessing that you guys are so vocal nowadays, and have so many platforms to express your, erm, views: on the one hand, I appreciate your outing yourself so I can avoid you. Very considerate of you and I appreciate it. On the other hand, there's the depressing realisation that there are far more dimwits in the world than I ever imagined.

80% of lead characters in games are male, 54% are white and 8% are non-white women. Think about that, you don't seem to be crying about those games, nor did anyone in the 90s other than women and POC, now you're mad more POC and women are getting lead roles? Just look at yourself, throw away your political bias and just think. Hilarious, just hilarious.

Diversity in a fantasy game, might as well get mad there's no Orcs in your fantasy setting. LMAO

Skdursh

Savant
The Wild West had a lot of White, Chinese and Hispanic people, and yes, some Blacks, but certainly not so many that they outnumbered the White population north of 16637 to 1. The Wild West also didn't have a lot of interracial relationships, openly gay cowboys, letters strewn about that exist for the sole reason of informing you that racism is bad, people standing around just waiting for someone to come up to and speak with them so they could lament about how racism is bad, modern identity politics, black female Sheriffs and not every single woman you came across was the strong independent type, but this game sure seems to have a lot of all of that.

Edit -

lmfao

How many Westerns can you name off the top of your head with a (main) character that isn't a white guy? Apart from Jango and Blazing Saddles.

How many Western-themed videogames can you name with a protagonist that isn't a white Clint Eastwood type?

Whenever anyone starts going on about "SJWs this", "performative wokeness that", my eyes immediately glaze over and a part of me dies.

The anti-SJW, "all lives matter", "what about White Men??? Won't anyone think of the White Men??????" brigade are not bright people.

It's a mixed blessing that you guys are so vocal nowadays, and have so many platforms to express your, erm, views: on the one hand, I appreciate your outing yourself so I can avoid you. Very considerate of you and I appreciate it. On the other hand, there's the depressing realisation that there are far more dimwits in the world than I ever imagined.

80% of lead characters in games are male, 54% are white and 8% are non-white women. Think about that, you don't seem to be crying about those games, nor did anyone in the 90s other than women and POC, now you're mad more POC and women are getting lead roles? Just look at yourself, throw away your political bias and just think. Hilarious, just hilarious.

Diversity in a fantasy game, might as well get mad there's no Orcs in your fantasy setting. LMAO
The argument you're crying about is not the argument that I made. I personally don't give a shit about the game to begin with, but the issue isn't that black people exist or that gays exist or any of the other shit you're mad about. The reason why some people are taking issue with the game is because the game is excessive in its "inclusivity" which results in it being "exclusive" when it comes to White people, specifically White men, who mostly seem to fill the role of "bad guy". Also, learn to understand what "context" is. The comment I replied to was specifically about the "Wild West" itself and not the game, hence my response, you absolute sperg.

Also, Western-themed media tends to focus mostly on White main-characters, specifically male ones, because BIG SURPRISE, most of the popular history of the "Wild West" was written and established through the lens of White men who lived through it. It's not a fucking conspiracy, it's just the result of how the United States evolved. If someone made a game about African Warlords you wouldn't see me complaining about a lack of White men and I'd probably actually be interested in playing it, but I guarantee that you would absolutely shit your pants if the only playable characters in the African Warlord game were White guys, even if it was "fantasy".

Last edited:

Edit -

lmfao

I can think of more too. It's just those trailers are pretty fun.

Edit -

lmfao

The argument you're crying about is not the argument that I made. I personally don't give a shit about the game to begin with, but the issue isn't that black people exist or that gays exist or any of the other shit you're mad about. The reason why some people are taking issue with the game is because the game is excessive in its "inclusivity" which results in it being "exclusive" when it comes to White people, specifically White men, who mostly seem to fill the role of "bad guy". Also, learn to understand what "context" is. The comment I replied to was specifically about the "Wild West" itself and not the game, hence my response, you absolute sperg.

Also, Western-themed media tends to focus mostly on White main-characters, specifically male ones, because BIG SURPRISE, most of the popular history of the "Wild West" was written and established through the lens of White men who lived through it. It's not a fucking conspiracy, it's just the result of how the United States evolved. If someone made a game about African Warlords you wouldn't see me complaining about a lack of White men and I'd probably actually be interested in playing it, but I guarantee that you would absolutely shit your pants if the only playable characters in the African Warlord game were White guys, even if it was "fantasy".

I'm not exactly sure how true it is that most of the popular history of the Wild West was written and established thought the lens of white men like you're saying. There were western dime novels about white guys, and black guys, Indians, and even some women. It's more like a specific era of western movies you're talking about. And it's not even like what you're saying was true of the forerunner to the western movies, the old Wild West shows, since some of the biggest draws of Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show were Annie Oakley, Calamity Jane, and Sitting Bull.

The most disconcerting thing I've seen of this game is the view looks kind of shitty, and the character portraits are in a totally different visual style than the actual game. Although I haven't exactly been looking into the game much either.

Also, doesn't seem as weird as you'd expect something calling itself Weird West to be.

The reviews all say the combat controls are terrible (should have made a turn-based game or a first person shooter Raph) and even with five character campaigns it's only 20 hours long if you do everything. :M
are they saying combat controls are 'terrible'? or 'muh controller' don't work right!!....

because I have mostly read whining about controllers which I don't use and are only for faggots anyway...but I have not read all that many reviews....

oasis789

Arcane
The AI wont notice a shootout in the next room over and can easily be baited into going through choke points one by one.

it definitely feels weird that you can blow up a room with dynamite and the next room doesn't notice a thing in an "immersive sim"

since the game relies heavily on bad guys chatting for environmental storytelling i guess it had to be this way or you wouldn't have any chatter at all.

Terenty

Liturgist
Shit I hope it's not as bad some people are making it out to be.

At least tell me there are no transgender cowboys settling a score with evil cannibal christians??

kangaxx

Arbiter
Shit I hope it's not as bad some people are making it out to be.

At least tell me there are no transgender cowboys settling a score with evil cannibal christians??

Play it and decide for yourself. There isn't a single thread on this site that doesn't have loads of people whining about one thing or another... in this case a feature that allows you to save (not exactly a new feature in gaming), or the presence of an Asian gang.

Trithne

Erudite
UI has severe con
The reviews all say the combat controls are terrible (should have made a turn-based game or a first person shooter Raph) and even with five character campaigns it's only 20 hours long if you do everything. :M
are they saying combat controls are 'terrible'? or 'muh controller' don't work right!!....

because I have mostly read whining about controllers which I don't use and are only for faggots anyway...but I have not read all that many reviews....

Funny considering the UI has a terrible case of Consolitis:

1zZ29vX.jpeg

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Played a few more hours. I think the systems are cool, and how stuff interact with each other, creating chaos all over. The game having a day & night cycle with corresponding mechanics is nice for immersion and for criminal acts (looking at you divinity original sin). So big plus here. But so far, the story feels like it's not really there. The characters I don't care about, and it feels like I'm just doing stuff checking off a list.

The combat is way too hectic for me. You get all these cool stuff, but good luck using any of it in combat. And being hectic is not the only issue in combat, the camera seems to fight you all the way, especially with throwing items. Companions sometimes just stand there, and other times they are on full suicidal mode. They are invisible during stealth, and they also teleport with you. Not very immersion sim. I find it funny how the game tells you that companions will die a lot. I guess it's a cope from the devs, since they couldn't get the AI to actually survive. Melee monsters are a pure pain. One on one it's fine, but prepare to backtrack while shooting. Two or more? RIP. I mean, it's cool that you have to use traps and such to survive certain encounters, but man they are so fast and deadly. F5 indeed.

Like mentioned before in the thread, having levels on cowboys feels off. It's turning some dudes into damage soakers. Reminds me of the division games.

Anyway, that is my impressions after a few hours. Wonder how this game would have been in turn-based mode, with all these cool systems interacting with each other
thinking.png

Edit:

And yeah, the woke stuff is a bit much.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I know very little of this game and seeing all this not so positive comments about the wokeness made me very skeptical of it.

Still I wanted to see a bit of the gameplay to see how bad it really is, I turned on a gameplay video on youtube and the first dialog in game you have is with sheriff who is a black woman.

Well thats it for this game.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Think about it, if there was no niggas and die-versity in-game, who would you kill?

White genocide is your anti-woke plan? Is that what you wish for? IS IT!?

Infinitron That's a hot take right there.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron

its not the wild west dumbass. it's part of a genre called Weird West (from which they took the name, dead giveaway) people trying to bitch about it not being accurate to American frontier history are a special kind of stupid, or maybe this is their first exposure to the genre. Also NO you are wrong and blind, in the very first couple areas there are lamenting helpless women, prostitutes, dumb ass bitches. and men of various stripes. Its ONLY the first chapter character is a retired female officer, and her first tutorial quest is to meet up with the female sherrif. People are crying faggot tears that one town, one small area happens to have a black female sheriff (and few men probably because they are dead) and then ragequit and went to post on the codex and whatever other incel faggotry they use in place of actually beating women. Stephen King's first Dark Tower book was Weird West. and not trying for historical accuracy. like you have to be trying hard to be that obtuse, otherwise I shouldnt be able to make female mages and clerics in DnD because that's not historically accurate.
Most characters have been white or seem to be, i wouldnt know since theyre all cell shaded and their audible dialogue sounds like angry sims, which might sound like a brown language to you dumbfucks but only if you dont know any but your own.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
The controls feel like Hotline Miami and are weird for someone expecting an rpg
at least let me tilt the camera to get a perpective on things its hard to tell before battle what cover you can shoot over and what will block it all
Give me Witcher3 side quests that move beyond Daggerfall style -gather 10 roses to get +5 infuence-. All these retarded racist incels reading propoganda into the game, half the enemies are of color, it has dead children all over the place, you slaughter innocent wildlife, you have a HUSBAND not a wife or tranny, and is it so weird that a world in which many of the men died fighting that a certain amount of women picked up their roles because they were all thats left? You didnt ragequit deus ex because Jensen had to be a dude...and his boss was a dude, and the only strong female was a bdsm russian dominatrix, but hey that''s totally realistic and doesnt ruffle my ball hairs

I havent been forced to take hormones or have any gay sex and nobody has mentioned Black Lives Matter yet.
I know very little of this game and seeing all this not so positive comments about the wokeness made me very skeptical of it.

Still I wanted to see a bit of the gameplay to see how bad it really is, I turned on a gameplay video on youtube and the first dialog in game you have is with sheriff who is a black woman.

Well thats it for this game.
yep, you ran into one element that turned you off and ragequit before even playing, how do you even order a burger?

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
there's a reason no one trusts the opinion of someone proud to wear a fedora
its like the hat from Devo. it means you want your cream to be whipped and you are ashamed of the you fat belly and bald head and maybe they'll pay attention to my hat and let me sneak my hotdog into their hand.
literally the worst kind of incel 1940s wannabe power fantasy.
just order a chinese wife if you an afford to and pay her off enough so you can beat her for the way the world betrayed you by not birthing you 100 years earlier.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom