Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Werewolf: The Apocalypse – Earthblood - action-RPG adaptation from Cyanide

Xelocix

Learned
https://www.ign.com/articles/werewolf-the-apocalypse-earthblood-review

CeZEIRp.png

Lol even IGN gave this as low as a 4/10. It's looking like so far every prediction I've had about this game has come true. It's a boring shitty ugly buggy mess. Shocker. :roll:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Anyone that read Werewolf Apocalypse, I never bother with it, only read vampire stuff, are werewolves on World of Darkness just eco activist furries? This looks boring as fuck even if the gameplay actually worked.

Caim

Arcane
Anyone that read Werewolf Apocalypse, I never bother with it, only read vampire stuff, are werewolves on World of Darkness just eco activist furries? This looks boring as fuck even if the gameplay actually worked.
Yes. Some take on the hippie approach with the whole "accept everyone heal the world" kind of deal while others are "rip and tear the humans race war now". Short overview of the werewolf tribes:

- Black Furies. Man-hating esoteric feminist werewolves who only accept males if they are Metis (spiritual inbreds who can't challenge the matriarchical order of the tribe).
- Bone Gnawers. Hobo werewolves.
- Children of Gaia. The aforementioned tree-huggers, who swing too far into the peace and love territory to rip and tear.
- Fianna. OIRISH WEREWOLVES. Some of them used to back the IRA.
- Get of Fenris. A mix of viking werewolves and nazifur.
- Glass Walkers. The Werewolves of Wall Street. Can travel across the Internet to whoop your ass.
- Red Talons. Want to murder all humans because fuck 'em. Too few in number to actually do so.
- Shadow Lords. Slav werewolves who scheme a lot, and the power behind the throne amongst the Garou.
- Silent Striders. Egyptians who are more like jackals than wolves. Were kicked out of their native land and cursed to forever wander by the Followers of Set.
- Silver Fangs. The kings of the Garou, inbreeding to the point where the Habsburg family looks genetically diverse.
- Stargazers. Stoner werewolves who just want to watch the stars and shit. Pretty chummy with the non-werewolf shapeshifters.
- Uktena. Native Americans who get their jollies by allowing evil corrupting spirits to possess them.
- Wendigo. More Native Americans who hate whitey and want to murder them all.

Then there's three more, but they got wiped:

- Bunyip. Werewolves down under who got wiped out by white settlers and werespiders. Going to Australia is a VERY bad idea for the Garou because of vengeful spirits.
- Croatan. Native Americans who were pretty chill and stopped an incursion of the Wyrm at the Roanoke Colony during the late 1500s, costing them the lives of their entire tribe and those of thier ancestors. Their deaths caused plenty of assmad amongst the other Native American tribes and their potential return has been a plot hook for years.
- White Howlers. Scottish werewolves who upon learning that a path into hell had opened up in their backyard charged in en masse to go all Doom on the monsters there. But the spirits of corruption won out and turned the White Howlers to their side, and after they hunted down and killed or converted all stragglers became the Black Spiral Dancers, who have been a thorn in the side of the Garou for centuries.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, it seems now that not reading werewolf was actually a good idea.

You missed a lot. The only Werewolf book I read (no clue which one it was, probably some sourcebook) had a story about a werewolf living in some shitty spick quarter of LA (or some such city). The werewolf got into a confrontation with some Mexican gangbanger while he walked home in his human form and ended up solving the situation by wrestling the Mexican to the ground, ripping off his pants and fucking him in the ass.

Then as the werewolf was walking away his internal monologue was like “I ain´t no homo OK, this is all about dominance.”

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Like all WW products it depends a lot on edition and individual books. The overall idea was to have a game where every scene looks like a heavy metal album cover. In reality it sometimes comes off as a feminist lecture at a furry convention.

Caim

Arcane
All the bad shit in Werewolf: The Apocalypse went down because of nonconsentual BDSM between a spider and a worm.

Not to be confused with how in Werewolf: The Forsaken all the bad shit went down because the moon was deprived of its regular poundings from FAT KNOTTED WOLF DICK.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

pros: you can rebind your keys, it's a werewolf game

cons: graphics are poor, stealth is terrible, combat is spam most of the time, feels like it was made 20 years ago

3.5/10

PrettyDeadman

pros: you can rebind your keys, it's a werewolf game

cons: graphics are poor, stealth is terrible, combat is spam most of the time, feels like it was made 20 years ago

3.5/10

How is this a con? does he imply that shit being made today is somewhat better when what was made 20 years ago? Action adventure games made 20 years ago (roughly) : Rune (2000), Blade of Darkness (2001), Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Outcast (2003), Drakan (1999), ONI (2001), American McGee’s Alice (1999), Heavy Metal FAKK2 (2000).

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Even my normalfag roommate said this isn't an rpg after playing it. Thread should definitely be moved.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I've been playing it today (simped for fit-girl)

This game's production is weird

Graphically it looks like The Witcher 2
I'm serious
The important characters are human looking but like W2 they seem to be bathed in their own lighting wich doesn't match up the one from the levels, and like W2 have very simplistic expressions outside cutscenes
Then also like W2 the enviroments have simple but effective lighting and textures and have the right amount of detail (a gripe I have with most modern photorealistic games is the overabundance of detail which makes it difficult to truly apreciate them imo)
Making for the areas outside facilities pleasent to look at - that is the catch here I guess, and it might be intentional, because the areas connected to the Werewolf's are pleasent and have interesting designs (the Garou guardian spirit in the Hub looks like something that could totally be in a Witcher game), but the areas controlled by Endron are just bland

The music...
I won't make judgments since I am not a fan of metal so I can't determine it's quality
But I'll just say it's not distracting or annoying, but it also doesn't give the combat any sense of energy and mayhem

The story though just exists there to give context, there's no attempt at "emotional engagement" (this for me is good)
But the setting doesn't remind me one bit that I am playing a game set in the World of Darkness
Sometimes it even seems to completely counter to the core appeal and characteristics of the setting (i.e. the tone and way the few Garou characters so far view humans, respectively)
Honestly when I think about it, I believe Cyanide just needed funding and so they decided to make a short action game with the WoD brand
Why I say short, because I've only completed the first level after the tutorial level and I am already at 12% completion with barely 1 hour of gameplay

Speaking of
How about the gameplay?

Well, when I said that this game was like Arkham Asylum I meant it
As far as pacing and structure goes, these 2 missions really feel like the Batman games
There are times when you are forced to sneak or it game over and there are times you are forced into combat
And in between those you have the big rooms filled with enemies were you can go with one of both

And the stealth... huh
It's the usual shit, you crouch and become completely silent, the guards take too long to spot unless you pass bellow 10 meters in front of them, and you can perform insta-kill super silent takedowns
Like the Batman games there's also conviniently placed vents and bat vision penumbra vision, but unlike the Batman games you don't have all those cool gadgets to play with, just a shitty 3 arrow crossbow

Stealth however is better done in the wolf form as you are much faster, can do a dash and jump like super mario
Also another Witcher 2 thing is that the sneaking animation in this game really reminds me of Geralt's in W2

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This game is no more an ARPG than Batman: Arkham Asylum and PS4's Spiderman is
The "If it's marketed as an RPG it goes into RPG Discussion" rule was adopted to avoid these subjective arguments.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom