Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News "What can change the nature of a game?" - Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter is LIVE

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
A Mitsoda goal would be equally fucking incredible, and we made it.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I'll be honest, I had my doubts as to how successful this pitch would be. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Fuck. I come home after a hard day's drinking working and this shit is funded before I even see that it's up...
Had to look twice at the figures...

Gotta check, what this is all about when I'm less tired.
Cheers.

Castanova

Prophet
So, while reading a novel, flipping to the next page is gameplay? Because that's what nearly every system in PS:T represents -- flipping to the next page of the story. Almost every dialog tree revolves around dispensing lore. There are a couple dialogs here and there where you need to have been paying attention. But those are few and far between.

You know... I always though you were sort of a mondblut. But then, I saw you actually liked Heavy Rain.

So yeah. Guess if Torment had QTEs to replace each and everything you do then it would have been fine.

I enjoyed the first ~20 minutes of Heavy Rain. And I never once said Heavy Rain had good gameplay. Do you see the difference?

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
And so the circlejerk begins! :salute:

Honestly SS, your shtick is getting old and you are really becoming one of the most insufferable cunts on this forum. There is no ciclejerk. Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity have both their defenders as well as their critics on this forum, and if anything the Codex's general attitude towards those kickstarter RPGs is mild sarcastic skepticism at best. Once the initial euphoria passes, it will be the same with the new Torment game.

Right now people are just celebrating the chance of playing a new RPG in the vein of Planescape: Torment, something that a year ago would have seemed completely out of this world.

Gozma

Arcane
Really, I don't think of kickstarter as an alternative funding model; rather, the name describes what it should be quite well. Hopefully these games will sell decently enough, and this will show developers that there is a viable business model somewhere between $5-10 indie games and publisher-funded AAA monsters. Of course, making these kinds of games won't sustain a large studio like Obsidian, but diversification never hurt anyone. It's similar to what Larian is trying to do by self-publishing Dragon Commander and Original Sin. If you're not hell-bent on only making quadruple A multiplatform, cinematic titles, there seems to be a lot of benefit to cutting out the middleman. Especially if you have a bunch of talented people in your team, who will greatly benefit from the creative freedom self-publishing affords.

The thing is you have to be insane to stop using it. It is so incredibly valuable for market research, never mind the free money. It's such a huge jump not to have it, it would be like cutting off an arm for these midbudget guys. One thing that would be cool is making the donation tiers so as to to eliminate everything but the $20-30 "long term preorders" and the $5k+ "this game was brought to you by Minecraft Notch and Dan's Used Cars of Omaha" true sponsorship/publicity tiers.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
My earlier rants aside, the kickstart makes it sound very promising if they live up to the billing. I doubt it'll be as good as they claim it'll be though it should still be rather good.

That said, (not that they need my money at this point lol); but I'm not gonna invest in a comapny's second KS when the only game worth mentioning is a game (BT) thatb i didn't even bother with. I'll wait until WL2 comes otu and I get my copy through P:E and see how good that is. The recent change of actual dialogue makes that one mroe appealing than it was too.

Still, I wonder how the character system for Torment '2' is. Are you only allowed human characters that can eventuaklly turn into aliens? L0L

Castanova

Prophet
Almost every dialog tree revolves around dispensing lore. There are a couple dialogs here and there where you need to have been paying attention. But those are few and far between.

Ok, I'll say this in red: It is impossible for a human to progress in Planescape: Torment if you don't comprehend the text and act upon it. One could assume that because PS:T requires an informed and thoughtful action on the part of the "reader" it is a game.

I mean this assumption was an inherent part of computer text adventure games, and PnP RPGs. This is the gameplay in them.

If you don't agree than please give your own definition of gameplay.

I didn't say that PS:T has no gameplay, I said the gameplay is bad. The combat and quests (from a mechanical perspective), which make up the VAST majority of the gameplay, are both really really bad. The part where you have to read, understand, and then make informed choices based on dialog is good. But this happens rarely. Be honest: how many times do you truly need to make decisions in the game based on what you've read in dialogs? Most of the game is spent (a) fighting (b) walking around doing fed-ex quests (c) reading lore-dispensing dialogs. Way, way down the list in frequency is (d) making thoughtful decisions based on your understanding of the world and story.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
And so the circlejerk begins! :salute:

Honestly SS, your shtick is getting old and you are really becoming one of the most insufferable cunts on this forum. There is no ciclejerk. Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity have both their defenders and well as their critics on this forum, and if anything the Codex's general attitude towards those kickstarter RPGs is mild sarcastic skepticism at best. Once the initial euphoria passes, it will be the same with the new Torment game.

Right now people are just celebrating the chance of playing a new RPG in the vein of Planescape: Torment, something that a year ago would have seemed completely out of this world.

Oh yes sorry, how could I not fall for pulling the strings of a mere idea to get my money weaseled out instead to judge the product (or any proven product by the company) on my own, should've just cummed buckets, celebrated etc.

Snake Oil salesmen come to my mind, strangely

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I just realized something. When they commented on that George Ziets stretch goal Kevin only said he would love to work with Ziets again. Which is the exact same neither confirm nor deny wording Avellone told me when I asked about it for Project Eternity. Yeah I'm thinking Ziets is highly likely for this.

Moribund

A droglike
I guess I expected a bit more from second inXile kickstarterbsides than just PUT OUT BITCHES. But I guess they have been working up to it a long time and people have expectations, hope it works out like it should.

Lancehead

Liturgist
I just realized something. When they commented on that George Ziets stretch goal Kevin only said he would love to work with Ziets again. Which is the exact same neither confirm nor deny wording Avellone told me when I asked about it for Project Eternity. Yeah I'm thinking Ziets is highly likely for this.
It'd be a tricky situation if they want to hire him, though, because then they can't make him a stretch goal.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
That would be actually pretty interesting. An area like the Modron Cube in Planescape, except consisting of a world of Prosper's creation and full of his creations. Level design by Prosper of course.

Gib $10,000 plox [/Fargo]

RGbli.png

Kirtai

Augur
I was just thinking that this would be an excellent time for GOG to put PS:T on sale.

Gondolin

Arcane
I remember Vault Dweller talking about a Sci-Fi game that he wanted to make after AoD. Kickstarter?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom