Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News "What can change the nature of a game?" - Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter is LIVE

Tigranes

Arcane
They won't have reached 2m by 'tomorrow morning' of whatever timezone, unless something truly weird happens. So no.

I do expect to see painted backgrounds come up somewhere around 2.5 or 3, though, or I'll be pissed. By conservative estimates 3m should be perfectly achievable, but beyond that I don't think it's so certain.

Zeriel

Arcane
They won't have reached 2m by 'tomorrow morning' of whatever timezone, unless something truly weird happens. So no.

I do expect to see painted backgrounds come up somewhere around 2.5 or 3, though, or I'll be pissed. By conservative estimates 3m should be perfectly achievable, but beyond that I don't think it's so certain.

True, it'll be more like 2.1M at this rate. So I guess they divvied the stretch goals out precisely to give them enough time to wake up, get the coffee, and go, "Aw, shit."

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
LOL at hitting the word limit for an update. Bodes well for a Torment game.

Also, the Toy sounds amazing if InXile can actually pull it off.

ironyuri

image-220628-full.jpg

jack__subject_zero__56_by_johntesh-d4vzujx.jpg

:keepmyjewgold:

jewboy

Arbiter
The idea of a grey goo NPC bodes well for all the rest. This would also be a perfect game for a droid NPC with witty dialogue as in Iain Bank's Culture novels. Some of the best dialogue I've ever read. In a billion years the dominant form of intelligent life would almost certainly be more machine than biological.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Brother None I like to ask how many races are we talking about. That's the thing that interests me most when increasing my pledge and PE had some sound for mobiles, maybe you could do this too @ 50$ tier?

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
The idea of a grey goo NPC bodes well for all the rest. This would also be a perfect game for a droid NPC with witty dialogue as in Iain Bank's Culture novels. Some of the best dialogue I've ever read. In a billion years the dominant form of intelligent life would almost certainly be more machine than biological.
Numenera is a post singularity world...meaning even the machines had their heyday but eventually fell to the entropy of the ages, just like organics, energy based life etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if some folks are simply born synthetic, or chimeric mutations, or spawned from the ether; the setting lends itself to nearly any technological interpretation, allowing for the truly bizarre.
Having machines be the dominant form of life is simply tame and passe in a setting that is all about the mystery of all possibilities.

Esquilax

Arcane
It slowed to a crawl now...be lucky to make 2 million at this rate. Female PC? Where's the love for the Codex and a Transgendered one?

:decline:

Heh, it'll probably clear $2 mil today pretty comfortably - this is pretty fucking ridiculous, even compared to other wildly successful Kickstarters. At this rate, Torment is going to have raised enough money to allow a truly next-gen multiplatform experience.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
$1.2M Goal: Deeper story
$2.5M Goal: Deeply deeped story
$3M Goal: Deeply deeped deeper deep story

How deep do you reckon they can go?

Zeriel

Arcane
It slowed to a crawl now...be lucky to make 2 million at this rate. Female PC? Where's the love for the Codex and a Transgendered one?

:decline:

Heh, it'll probably clear $2 mil today pretty comfortably - this is pretty fucking ridiculous, even compared to other wildly successful Kickstarters. At this rate, Torment is going to have raised enough money to allow a truly next-gen multiplatform experience.

The true Tormented experience: kickstart an old-school RPG, get a blockbuster corridor shooter with philosophical overtones.

Tigranes

Arcane

True, it'll be more like 2.1M at this rate. So I guess they divvied the stretch goals out precisely to give them enough time to wake up, get the coffee, and go, "Aw, shit."

What are you on? Are you using kicktraq formulas or something? They've been getting 20-30k / hour since about 11pm. Seriously, it will make 2m without a problem, perhaps during tomorrow, but certainly not by the morning.

Zeriel

Arcane

What are you on? Are you using kicktraq formulas or something? They've been getting 20-30k / hour since about 11pm. Seriously, it will make 2m without a problem, perhaps during tomorrow, but certainly not by the morning.

I just stupidly assumed it was going at the same clip as earlier in the evening, so yeah. I then double-checked, and was like, "Well, that's not happening", but didn't feel like my personal comeuppance was worth posting about.

Gerrard

Arcane
I've been pretty ignorant of this project so far, and honestly I didn't see anything that would make me want to pay for it at this stage.
"B-but it has a few people who worked on the previous game!" is not a good enough, I don't know how many times I've heard that one only for the end result to end up being shit. I don't understand this hype at all.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've been pretty ignorant of this project so far, and honestly I didn't see anything that would make me want to pay for it at this stage.
"B-but it has a few people who worked on the previous game!" is not a good enough, I don't know how many times I've heard that one only for the end result to end up being shit. I don't understand this hype at all.

Read the pitch. Did you like the Wasteland 2 demo? Would you like to see that pitch implemented by the people who made it? If so, insert money. It's not rocket science.

jewboy

Arbiter
Numenera is a post singularity world...meaning even the machines had their heyday but eventually fell to the entropy of the ages, just like organics, energy based life etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if some folks are simply born synthetic, or chimeric mutations, or spawned from the ether; the setting lends itself to nearly any technological interpretation, allowing for the truly bizarre.
Having machines be the dominant form of life is simply tame and passe in a setting that is all about the mystery of all possibilities.

Perhaps the word machine itself is the problem. The point is any dominant form of life would likely be post-biological. The pace of biological evolution is orders of magnitude slower than the pace of possible machine evolution. Admittedly genetic engineering should be able to speed things up by engineering the genome itself, but it is still slow compared to artificial machine evolution. I don't see how the concept of entropy has anything to do with intelligent machine evolution. Once a thinking machine is created that is more intelligent than its creator it's basically over for biologicals at that point. I don't mean that biologicals will necessarily die out. Just that wetware creatures will be slower, less intelligent organisms. For this reason some SETI people advocate looking for large, cold areas of interstellar space for long-lived life forms that are basically planetary scale thinking machines of unimaginable complexity.

Zeriel

Arcane
4M: The Nameful One gains access to a player stronghold, the Library of Storytelling, in which are collected all the stories of the previous eight worlds.
5M: The Library of Storytelling can now be female if the player character is male. If so, it is located in the Bloom, and romanceable.
6M: New 'Storytelling Mode' enabled once the game is beaten at least once. In Storytelling Mode, the usual singleplayer campaign is replaced by a vignette in which you tell the Master one of your many fascinating yarns about How Things Used To Be, In My Day.
10M: The Options screen is now rendered in lovingly hand-painted 2D.

winterraptor

Cipher
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera

Depends on how we define 'machine' anyway, with how certain 'technologies' developed could have more similarities to biotech than machinetech (and yet replicate many of their advantages, such as toughness). Is a bioroid a machine? More a question to ask within the game than define, really. It shouldn't be obvious. Same thing goes for 'what is the dominant form of life'? The inhabitants could have quite different perspectives on this depending on their bias.

A more 'robot' style NPC would be fine, still, assuming the technology is handled as one would expect reflected from the source material of the setting, i.e. probably some ancient tech the robot itself might not even fully understand. But ultimately the options are unlimited, so the creator/designed better have fun with it.

The robot would probably also have been 'abandoned' by it's creator, judging from that statement about one of the themes...hah.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom