Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News "What can change the nature of a game?" - Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter is LIVE

Kem0sabe

Arcane
They will probably update the stretch goals with all the tiers soon enough, hopefully they will start to scale better.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
A post-evolutionary form of 'life' could look like pretty much anything.
jack__subject_zero__56_by_johntesh-d4vzujx.jpg

Yeah but it looks like ME :troll:
It looks like YOU? Where did you get all the tattoos? Also, do your nipples hurt under that leather "bra"? :troll:

Jashiin

Arcane
All those fucking morons discussing mass effect in the backer comments.

stallone-tommygun.gif

MasPingon

Arcane
I don't know how about you guys, but I just can't stop watching this kickstarter video. It's like they somehow entered inside my head, watched all those forgotten memories and feelings I had playing P:T and dug it up. It's like they are doing this game especially for me. Who are you inXile, WHO ARE YOU?

winterraptor

Cipher
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
A post-evolutionary form of 'life' could look like pretty much anything.

And from this supposed background of multiple empires falling atop one another in layers spanning a billion years, the speculation of what happened to such entities is just as infinite...so their behavior, goals (if any, on whats left of the material plane), interactions, it is all up for grabs to the ruminations of the designers. The most powerful entities may essentially create the scenarios under which the struggling 'non-ascended' scrubs run around in relatively finite, small lives, perhaps as nothing more than entertainment or as 'opportunities' to see who/what else can reach the lofty heights of relative godhood. Or they might be entirely indifferent as though they were a tolerated ant mound.

Mostly this setting is more of a style of telling any story and pretty much any 'sub-setting' (or many at once). It will be interesting to see how much of such ideas as 'post-evolutionary lifeforms' is touched on, but they might not, really, and leave our perspective more isolated, ignorant - the titans in the distance are just blurry, unknowable statues of a bygone era. We are all too human ourselves, despite superficial differences.

So essentially, these lifeforms might be as such that they are basically all but dead or seasoning of flavor, for the purposes of the game.

But perhaps I'll steal a few gems off of one of their discarded earrings and make a Difference Engine (or immortality, or...whatever) out of them (i.e. discover and implement some of their remnant tech, ala the Castoff 'cheating death').

Unwanted

Sacred_Path

Unwanted
BTW, is that Brian Fagro behind the camera? Because no one dares not to laugh at his jokes.

They know he'll rape you in the shower if you don't

I seriously contemplated getting a Brotherhood of Steel symbol tattoo when I was a kid, but after Bethesda, I would be embarrassed to wear it, as it would be associated with Fallout 3+... :(

Kem0sabe

Arcane
And from this supposed background of multiple empires falling atop one another in layers spanning a billion years, the speculation of what happened to such entities is just as infinite...so their behavior, goals (if any, on whats left of the material plane), interactions, it is all up for grabs to the ruminations of the designers. The most powerful entities may essentially create the scenarios under which the struggling 'non-ascended' scrubs run around in relatively finite, small lives, perhaps as nothing more than entertainment or as 'opportunities' to see who/what else can reach the lofty heights of relative godhood. Or they might be entirely indifferent as though they were a tolerated ant mound.

Mostly this setting is more of a style of telling any story and pretty much any 'sub-setting' (or many at once). It will be interesting to see how much of such ideas as 'post-evolutionary lifeforms' is touched on, but they might not, really, and leave our perspective more isolated, ignorant - the titans in the distance are just blurry, unknowable statues of a bygone era. We are all too human ourselves, despite superficial differences.

So essentially, these lifeforms might be as such that they are basically all but dead or seasoning of flavor, for the purposes of the game.

But perhaps I'll steal a few gems off of one of their discarded earrings and make a Difference Engine (or immortality, or...whatever) out of them (i.e. discover and implement some of their remnant tech, ala the Castoff 'cheating death').

I think the problem with such ambitious timelines such as the one in Torment is that the timescale is so immense, 1 billion years, that the designers will be forced to at least design the major concepts of the world around our current perceptions of reality and anthropomorphism.

We could not relate to the game otherwise, heck i doubt the designers or anyone alive can even begin to comprehend the timescale and how 1 billion years of evolution could/will affect life in the 9th world.

The Planescape setting was also very alien, but they managed to weave an interesting story, with great concepts and with very weird characters, albeit ones we could relate to with our current level of human understanding.

I can only hope the same from Torment's story.

MasPingon

Arcane
I seriously contemplated getting a Brotherhood of Steel symbol tattoo when I was a kid, but after Bethesda, I would be embarrassed to wear it, as it would be associated with Fallout 3+... :(

I wanted this

Planescape__Torment_by_RealBigNUKE.jpg

Two reasons I didn't get this - I asked for a prize and didn't want people to ask me why I have a snake-woman giving a blowjob tatoo on my arm

hiver

Whats this? I wake up and we are still NOT over 2 million!?
fer shame....:rpgcodex:

What do you guys say about George Zeits on 3 million and maybe Patric Rothfuss on five?
As an additional stretch goals, together with maybe some goals of making more quests, areas, 2D assets-art, improving "magic" or other mechanics and so on.

also - I was thinking, maybe let Patrick write for a "plane" or a smaller location inside Ninth world, since i dont think he worked on game dev before, all with the plot for that area and characters in it.
Of course - adjusted for the game as necessary. In addition of working with others and generally helping out, naturally.

I would almost make a suggestion on community voice, just to see how it goes, but i just dont feel like ... working today.

-

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Whats this? I wake up and we are still NOT over 2 million!?
fer shame....:rpgcodex:

What do you guys say about George Zeits on 3 million and maybe Patric Rothfuss on five?
As an additional stretch goals, together with maybe some goals of making more quests, areas, 2D assets-art, improving "magic" or other mechanics and so on.

also - I was thinking, maybe let Pathrick write for a "plane" or a smaller location inside Ninth world, since i dont think he worked on game dev before, all with the plot for that area and characters in it.
Of course - adjusted for the game as necessary. In addition of working with others and generally helping out, naturally.

I would almost make a suggestion on community voice, just to see how it goes, but i just dont feel like ... working today.

Only thing i want is an isometric 2D stretch goal. :incline:

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Now we only need Arcanum and Bloodlines successor and a "real" sci-fi crpg, with lasers and shit (read pulp 80's sci-fi :troll:), and incline will be complete. :bounce:
Bloodlines would cost too much for a KS, sadly.
But who knows, maybe if current projects are not shit when completed more people would be interested in pledging and getting some real AAA-scale budgets via KS may become a possibility... so far seems unlikely.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
But who knows, maybe if current projects are not shit when completed more people would be interested in pledging and getting some real AAA-scale budgets via KS may become a possibility... so far seems unlikely.

Why not an Isometric dialogue driven with turned based combat Vampire the Masquerade game? Vampire is a very nice property with a lot of tabletop fans, Bloodlines has an almost cult like following online, why not join the 2 concepts.

Remove the need for voice dialogues (almost a necessity these days in first person rpg's) and you lower your budget substantially i figure.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

Why not an Isometric dialogue driven with turned based combat Vampire the Masquerade game? Vampire is a very nice property with a lot of tabletop fans, Bloodlines has an almost cult like following online, why not join the 2 concepts.

Remove the need for voice dialogues (almost an necessity these days in first person rpg´s) and you lower your budget substantially i figure.
dropping the first person for bloodlines would lower the IMMURSHUN. immensely.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath

Unlikely, at least in the near future. CCP owns White Wolf and, hence, the Vampire IP and they're already working on a game (an MMO, though) in the setting.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Now it's time for retarded demands:

I demand "love boat" Normandy style or I will withdraw my pledge!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom