Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News "What can change the nature of a game?" - Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter is LIVE

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I think it's understandable if some people appreciate the validity of Inxile's position but still feel leery about pledging so blindly to a second project from them. They've definitely done a good job explaining their reasoning to pre-empt the more straightforward cries of 'duplicity!', though.
Totally. I just don't like it if people don't know or ignore our reasons. But if they get the reasons but still go "ok, but for me as a consumer I'd rather wait", then I'm just :thumbs up: man.

Almost 400k already? Easiest money ever.
It's been pretty hard work actually. And I think it shows! Kickstarter fatigue is a myth, but the time of quickly thrown together pitches is over. IMO.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I dunno, this makes me rethink the entire nature of kickstarter. Is it life-support for a company without a publisher? I always figured it was more a one shot thing to get a company launched into independence?
Neither, it's to fund the creation of a specific product that the pledgers want and the creator wants to make.

himmy

Arcane
400,000 in 2 hours. I can't remember how it went for P:E exactly, but I remember that Double Fine got 400,000 in a bit over 8 hours and 1 million in 24, if that is any indication.

Chateaubryan

Cipher
"Yeah fuck you too, Fargo, you hype-riding fucking Torment-hijacker. You won't fool me with a goddamn kickstarter video anymore. What are you expecting ? That mish-mashing Morgan's music with generic background artwork is enough for me to go wet about the kickstarter you puked at the bar while browsing Avellone's tweets ? Well, fuck you too, Fargo. Fuck you too." said Chateaubryan while furiously entering his bank coordinates on the kickstarter page.

CWagner

Augur
I'm a bit wary of giving InXile more money before I can play Wasteland 2 and judge if it's any good, but on the other hand I do want to support a game like this, so I'm in for $20. Might up that for the beta access add-on, I dunno.

A valid point but it does also make sense to get the pre-production and designing teams back to work ASAP though.

I think it's understandable if some people appreciate the validity of Inxile's position but still feel leery about pledging so blindly to a second project from them. They've definitely done a good job explaining their reasoning to pre-empt the more straightforward cries of 'duplicity!', though.
The pre-alpha footage we got some time ago was enough to make me confident that WL2 will at the very least be a good game and probably great.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
tumblr_m0fst1SjNi1qcbo9lo1_500.jpg

Will pledge 110$ for boxed version.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I just have to twist an arm or two because my credit cards are blocked by banks but ill throw in a hundred or a bit more and go for 75 bucks reward.

Great to see all the tiers and rewards done like that visually, really easy to peruse.

This came in very nicely too, right in the head:
Infinitron, this should probably be in the OP too http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/posts/420739

You can just wait till they put Paypal payment options up and then use your visa ATM card. Or charge up one of those disposable online credit cards with some petty cash to spend online (thats what i tend to do, due to security concerns).

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Kickstarter Fatigue to me means: How much of my savings am I willing to dedicate to these expensive projects. And it hurts because I'm not one to be satisfied with simply purchasing a cheap digital copy. :(

Also, Brother None give us some HD SCREENS DUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE.

Kickstarter fatigue, what a joke. Put together a pitch that isn't total dogshit (highly recognizable names help) and watch the money come in. Games journalism is awful.

hiver

All my cards are being blocked. All of them.

- well, hmm disposable card you say? you mean the ones you get when you knock someone over the head and run off with their wallet!? great idea! hmm...!!

Castanova

Prophet
Pledged to support true bro RPG development even though PS:T had horrible gameplay. Hoping for same level of story but with actual gameplay this time around.

Syl

Cipher
I am literally blown away by this pitch. Brian Fargo is setting a whole new level of professionalism to the crowd-funding concept. Outstanding !

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
That kickstarter pitch is fucking glorious. By far the best first entry i've seen in there so far.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Pledged to support true bro RPG development even though PS:T had horrible gameplay. Hoping for same level of story but with actual gameplay this time around.

It´s a terrible idea to reduce gameplay to combat only (i´m making an assumption that you are referring to that). PS:T had a great flow to the story and characters up until the last third of the game, the dialogues and quest design were above par as well, besides the fact that it looked beautiful for a 2D isometric rpg.

So i wouldn´t go as far as claiming that PS:T had horrible gameplay.

Kirtai

Augur
Fuck it, $95+shipping so I have a physical copy to sit next to my physical copy of PS:T.

Also:
Neither, it's to fund the creation of a specific product that the pledgers want and the creator wants to make.
Patronage should be a fine way to keep a small company running so long as they don't screw up massively. Or maybe even if they do and it's amusing enough.

Wizfall

Cipher
Not fond at all to kickstart another project before the release of W2 even if the explanation given make sense
Don't like the fact we did not know if it will be TB, PB or RTwP.
But for me W8 (2002) was the last great cRPG i have played and each year since that i ask myself how much i will be willing to pay for another great cRPG.
Or even the hope of a great cRPG.
I feel the kickstarter fatigue a lot but a bit more than one year ago it was a "no future" for cRPG.
So i'm gonna pledge, no matter if it's not very wise.
After all W2 video was dam good IMO and what other chance have we ?
Old School forever.
:bro:

hiver

A friend just called.Wants to meat...
...muahahahaha.....

:puts crowbar in a pocket:

also, i managed to remember to pay in a lottery ticket on this most auspicious of days! Fargo, make it happen! ill spin your heads if i score!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom