Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Actually Stalker has pulled that stunt on me quite a few times. The border base sends out a patrol and when they get lured in close to the camp (shots, wildlife, npc's, you) they engage it or get engaged. Next thing you know the base sends in reinforcements. Happens in mods and vanilla. Won't however always happen as the soldier AI being triggered it entirely dependent on chance. I consider it an AI feature by now.

And on topic. I'm not playing anything right now. Got fuckloads installed but everything bores me. Waiting for The Old Gods to rekindle some interest in gaming.

Multi-headed Cow

Gave Brogue a whirl. Seems kinda cool for an easy relaxed roguelike. Not getting super into it but it's ok for short bursts.

Also decided to finally give Cataclysm DDA a try thanks to potatojohn 's pictures and LP. Doing what I always did in regular Cataclysm, get too greedy trying to get starting equipment from a town and then get swarmed by zombies. Though my most recent character was eaten by a bear, so there's that. And had another character desperately bicycling down the road while a pack of wolves chased him. Potatojohn's protip from the LP of smashing the starting benches and making a nail board definitely helps at the start, but it doesn't save me from my own stupidity in the end.

TripJack

Hedonist
been wasting a lot of time on dwarf fortress lately, relearning everything after a long bout of not playing is good fun

Gave Brogue a whirl. Seems kinda cool for an easy relaxed roguelike. Not getting super into it but it's ok for short bursts.
brogue is great but i don't know if it can agree with calling it 'easy'

it reminds me a bit of doomrl: easy to learn, but quite difficult to master

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Gothic 1. Graphics are surprisingly OK, it fits in to that generation of early 3D poly games where it was so rudimentary that it's easy to look at. Immediately got tricked by some asshole who lured me out of the camp and beat me up, then I tried to fight him back at camp and he beat me up again...Good stuff.

Multi-headed Cow

brogue is great but i don't know if it can agree with calling it 'easy'

it reminds me a bit of doomrl: easy to learn, but quite difficult to master
Yep, that's what I meant. I certainly haven't beaten it and IIRC I haven't even gotten past dungeon level 10. Haven't figured out a good way to ID things without blindly using scrolls until I get an ID scroll. With Nethack I know the trick to figuring out what scrolls are ID scrolls, and figuring out cursed/uncursed/blessed status.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Neverwinter Nights 2 Original Campaign. God help me.

Act 1 was torture. Act 2 was shockingly not bad. Act 3 is currently some of the least amount of fun I've ever played.

I never played MoB before, and I insisted on playing the OC before I started it. I'm almost there.

Elthosian

Arcane

Act 1 was torture. Act 2 was shockingly not bad. Act 3 is currently some of the least amount of fun I've ever played.

I never played MoB before, and I insisted on playing the OC before I started it. I'm almost there.

I did that too, thought it wouldn't be THAT bad.

Guess what? It was THAT bad, there were two or three cool dungeons, the fortress and certain great bits of Act 2, but everything else was... asdopajfajdoasjd0u2e490uyrw9q0euqwe, it's like they took Arcanum's dungeons (if such crimes against humanity can be called that) and used their "design philosophy" to create a full-blown game :x

MOTB is totally worth the pain tho, although there were some things that could have been done much much better, I hated the fact you cant kill people without initiating combat thru dialogue.

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's not a hard game at all unless you fail to get in tune with the rhythm of the combat. If so, pump up Aard and/or Igni once you get it to make things easier. The game's actually hardest at the beginning and gets extremely easy after the first act IIRC.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I am playing vanilla BG (gog.com). Even using the standard 640 resolution. Fuck mods.

The Witcher, the first one. Finally starting with this series. Looks cool and interesting so far but the combat sucks in a way I couldn't ever imagine, what in the actual fuck is this battle system? I'm still at the beginning (just healed Triss after the assault on the keep), will it get better later on? I mean, it can't be click-click-click combos for the rest of the game...

...CAN IT?
People told me it would get better after I complained about "fetch-quest Shadow Wolf-land" . I couldn't continue the game sucked so bad, and I think they lied because they were potato-people.

Whisky

The Solution
The Witcher, the first one. Finally starting with this series. Looks cool and interesting so far but the combat sucks in a way I couldn't ever imagine, what in the actual fuck is this battle system? I'm still at the beginning (just healed Triss after the assault on the keep), will it get better later on? I mean, it can't be click-click-click combos for the rest of the game...

...CAN IT?

Not if you max out Igni. Then it's click and everything is dead.

DeepOcean

Arcane

If you didn't finished the OC yet, cut your loses and go straight to MotB. NWN 2 OC is tortune and nobody deserve that.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Oh Im doing the same thing, NWN 2 OC and then MotB, and Im close to finishing the act 2. NWN 2 OC is so fucking bland and full of cliches that it is an exorcise in fighting boredom to go one sometimes. But my cleric/doomguide is doing good and Im looking forward to playing it in MotB.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Wasted a few more hours of my life with Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl (plus ZRP bugfix patch). Talked with Wolf, he rewards me for killing some boars (I don't remember doing that, but the reward is a shitty radioactive stone so okay), then he directs me to his men, for they plan to invade the barn where bandits are keeping a kidnapped dude. We eventually clear the place out, but military people decked in Godlike armor inexplicably show up and murder the survivors, me included. Load game, march towards the barn again, find out I'm alone. Puzzled, I check the PDA and "Meet with Wolf's men" is colored in red. I look towards the military guys (who are oddly located right beside the little ninja stalker village), and sure enough, tho bodies of Wolf's men are scattered at their feet.

I remove my palm from my face with the help of a spatula, and manage to loot the bodies without the soldiers noticing (the leader had an artifact which had a different name but does the same thing as the one I have, giving slight protection against bullets but give you radiation poisoning - predictably, it's useless against the archdemons' hellfire soldiers' rifles), and decide to take on the bandits alone.

The aiming is FUCKED unless you take a while to line up each shot and you need at least a full clip to down a bandit, which forces me to :popamole:, but I manage to kill the thugs and loot the farm.

I find the kid in a corner, he gives me his Flash Drive, a quest to find a better suit of armor and then walks back towards the camp. I worry a little when I notice he plans to walk right in front of the soldiers, but I soon forget about that. I arrive at Stalkerville, enter the Trader's manhole and chat with him for a bit, trading all the guns I found for one medkit and one bottle of vodka. While I am wondering what a jew is doing soe deep into Russian territory, I suddenly get a bunch of Quest Failed on the left side of the screen, in rapid sucession. Fearing the worst, I rush out of the shop.

Corpses.

Corpses everywhere.

The soldiers could not forgive QuestKid's treacherous crime of walking past them to get back home. They invaded the village and slaughtered everyone. Wolf, QuestKid, Guy With The Banjo Playing By The Fireside, everyone. Apparently I was spared because they didn't think of inspecting the trader's manhole.

I pick up my jaw from the floor, and decide to make the most of this situation. The area is completely deserted, the attacking soldiers were killed as well, and they drop sweet rifles. I take a quick look at my new gun, then stay put a few seconds to think a little. A boar and two new soldiers walk into town, one shoots me with pinpoint accuracy in the face. Load game?

Holy fucking shit.

I had fun, but these soldiers are making this borderline unplayable. Is there any reason irritable enemies with awesome armor and weapons are stationed right outside the beginning areas?
Wow, sounds fucking awesome :D .

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fucking Amnesia. I almost died of heart attack in the storage. How can anyone play this shit? Jesus Christ.

EDIT:
And now I'm out of oil. Just great.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
yGUO6eI.png

I just recalled that I got Realms of Arkania 1 and 2 for free thanks to that survey thing, and I decided to see what all the fuzz was about. Western Civilisation Defence Squad will save the lands from the congoid orcish apocalypse!

Loving it so far, and I haven't even gotten to the actual dungeon yet. Found the armory though, after having suffered waves of cut-purses, beggars and little malicious children throwing dung at the party. :lol:

Dhralei

Learned
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Finally dug up my copy of Catan Cities & Knights copies again. Started playing to promptly find out why I tossed the game into an unused folder in the first place. I swear the AI players are cheating...

Whisky

The Solution

If you didn't finished the OC yet, cut your loses and go straight to MotB. NWN 2 OC is tortune and nobody deserve that.

It is done.

Granted, I cheated and made a script that kills enemies close to me when I activate it, but surely you can't blame me for that. I feel empty and soulless.

Thankfully, MOTB seems pretty great so far, and I've just started it.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Still Gothic 1. I joined up with the Old Camp, somewhat accidentally; what I had meant to do was join up with them only at first, then steal shit from them and join the New Camp, but I found you get kind of locked into your choice. Not a big deal though, especially since Old Camp seems like the most natural for a first playthrough. Managed to find some main quest essential artifact thing before I even found out about them, wandered into an old ruin with a cave guarded by a shadow beast, I just high tailed it past the beast and got through a door before it chewed my face off - one of my favorite things in any RPG is encountering plot stuff out of sequence, makes the world feel like it exists beyond the FOV of the player.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom