Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Albion has been the recent game I've been wasting time on. After reading the first post of Hoverdog's LP I decided to play it. There is an attractive simplicity to the game that makes it so charming. The battles are represented in a turn based 5x6 grid with a few actions. The strange and new world with a race that builds a city out of living plants. Beyond the city you see clouds spiraling upwards in impossible form. It just has that childhood naivete to it.
Master of Orion is another one I've been trying out. I haven't played 4x games since I was a wee lad. Currently I am on my first game playing the Human race: close ties with the Bulrathi, neutral trade agreement with the Meklars, and at war with the Darloks. The Bulrathi and the Meklars were close by in the universe but did absolutely no expansion to much of my surprise. Through out the game, most of my turns were dedicated to construction, planetology, and propulsion. The Human fleet and planetary defenses are much weaker, due to this oversight, than the Darloks and I have suspended the game for a few days knowing I will lose. I may just start another. This time setting the difficulty on medium. I may have been too ambitious.
In a week, I will be taking care of a friend's house. This friend has several animals (including chickens!) that need care while they are on a vacation. During that time, I am planning on playing Bane of the Cosmic Forge. A few days ago I was rolling characters never getting more than a 10! This is unacceptable. It feels like I have to dedicate a whole day just to roll a satisfactory number for each of my characters....

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Finished Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive. Got the "good" ending but did not get back together with Chelsie. :( There are some mechanics of that game I didn't really like, but the overall game was enjoyable.

Now off to Tex Murphy: Overlord. Also, I don't know why but the GOG version for this has the MIDI music OFF by default? So I just turned it on and selected my external MIDI device and the music is playing through my Roland Sound Canvas. <3 I like the newer upgraded engine and controls. Much better than the last 2 games.

Deleted member 7219

There was one moment in Overseer that made me laugh hard. It is one of the dialogue choices you pick when you get to the clock tower. Won't spoil anything, but you'll probably know it when you see it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Finished Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive. Got the "good" ending but did not get back together with Chelsie. :( There are some mechanics of that game I didn't really like, but the overall game was enjoyable.

Now off to Tex Murphy: Overlord. Also, I don't know why but the GOG version for this has the MIDI music OFF by default? So I just turned it on and selected my external MIDI device and the music is playing through my Roland Sound Canvas. <3 I like the newer upgraded engine and controls. Much better than the last 2 games.
Nothing was off about music in my version.
Finished Pandora two weeks ago, now playing Overseer too. And agreed, this is even more fantastic game then the previous two and one of the best adventures ever (tough as nails though).
Can't wait for Project Fedora, hope they'll make the September release.

This makes me absolutely jealous. Every time I start up Wizardry 7 I have to go to your youtube channel to hear the opening music the way it is supposed to sound on a MT-32.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Finished Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive. Got the "good" ending but did not get back together with Chelsie. :(
If she's going out with that hologram then you didn't get the best ending. The game really has some great C&C. Time for a replay! Though Chris has stated that the "canon" ending is the one you got, and Chelsie being Chelsie she gets bored of this virtual stuff quickly and does end up with Tex, which is where Overseer starts.

I don't remember if you played the DOS games, but Overseer is basically a remake of Mean Streets that takes away some of the good (the open-endedness and feeling of actually doing an investigation - MS does this better than any of the other games IMO, and only the first chapters of TPD compare), some of the bad (the utterly pointless flying sequences), and adds more tightness and cohesiveness to the overall structure and narrative. I like Overseer, but not as much as most of the other games. Michael York is pretty awesome in it though, as is most of the acting really since they brought back Adrian Carr (which they also did for Fedora.... fapfapfap).

This makes me absolutely jealous. Every time I start up Wizardry 7 I have to go to your youtube channel to hear the opening music the way it is supposed to sound on a MT-32.
MT-32 music is easy to fix for DOSBox using emulators. And the SC-55 (the Sound Canvas used for most mid-90s MIDI music in games) is pretty cheap to get (like $50 or less), so there's no reason to deny yourself the pleasure.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I don't remember if you played the DOS games, but Overseer is basically a remake of Mean Streets that takes away some of the good (the open-endedness and feeling of actually doing an investigation - MS does this better than any of the other games IMO, and only the first chapters of TPD compare), some of the bad (the utterly pointless flying sequences), and adds more tightness and cohesiveness to the overall structure and narrative. I like Overseer, but not as much as most of the other games. Michael York is pretty awesome in it though, as is most of the acting really since they brought back Adrian Carr (which they also did for Fedora.... fapfapfap).

Yeah. I have been going through all of the Tex Murphy games in order, and I LOVED Mean Streets. And like you said, I really liked the "investigation" feel of that. I had so many fucking pages of notes from that game haha. Will be interesting seeing how this "remake" is compared to the old DOS game.

MT-32 music is easy to fix for DOSBox using emulators. And the SC-55 (the Sound Canvas used for most mid-90s MIDI music in games) is pretty cheap to get (like $50 or less), so there's no reason to deny yourself the pleasure.
I've tried an emulator out but I swear it is not the "real thing". You can't caress an emulator.... I may pick up a Roland Sound Canvas.

RolePlayer

Augur
Recently:

* Borderlands 2, PC
* Starcraft 2, PC
* OOTP 14, PC (text simulator like football manager, but for baseball)
* Little Big Planet, PS3

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Just got to Baldur's Gate in Baldur's Gate. I wish you could access the city sooner for the NPCs... Still, I've collected my party now (Yeslick, Minsc, Kivan, Dynaheir, Skie -- really liking this composition). I'm having a blast. Levels 4/5-10 in this game is just excellent. I think I'll do most sidequests I can find now. Sadly there isn't a whole lot left, story-wise, after reaching BG.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Wasting my time with Arx Fartalix, first time ever.

Literally wasting it, spent 15 minutes trying to cast my first spell. I can't draw with my mouse.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finished Amnesia. Now to uninstall it and never look at it again, especially not before going to sleep. :greatjob:

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
29ONIRH.png

L1Zc30v.png

I used to laugh at that picture, but now it genuinely mirrors my reaction. Levels sure don't come cheap in this game. Necromancy, heck yeah!

The party cleansed the first dungeon (after a noobish failed attempt in which the vital party members drowned and the rest were cut down by skeletons), stocked up on supplies and finally left Thorwal on their quest to reclaim Excalibur Hyggelik's sword.

Humanophage is focused mainly on domination, clairvoyance and combat spells. The latter came in handy against the physical-resistant demon: if not for the successfully aimed lightning bolts, the party would probably have been toast. He is also the party's alchemist, and quite accomplished in academic skills.

FretRider is the party's superstitious, aggressive rogue. Good at parrying, scouting and picking locks, not to mention, cheating drunk peasants out of their precious coin, a surprisingly lucrative side-business.

PorkaMorka and the Brazilian Slaughter are pure crusader killing machines, heavily armoured alpha bros with swords and shields. Might give one of them a two-handed sword as they are skilled with those as well. They have saved the party more than once, and have the most kills for sure.

4yJhCET.png

Commissar Draco is a druid (mirroring his orthodoxy) and is the party's only ranged fighter. He is the leader in the outdoors due to superior nature skills, and is also a good caster. Level 2 helped unlock evil eye and the dance spell, both are quite amusing!

Suffice to say, the congoid orcish menace falls easily before the might and magic of the reactionary warriors against diversity.

4eD8xrh.png

Wha-!? That's our line!

Stupid libural scum everywhere. Party ventures forth, fully gathered of course.

j15o5CS.png

And after days of playing and a (not so) long journey across the land, we are finally in Felsteyn! Time to track down that Isleif fellow the Hetman mentioned. After a quick visit to the pub, that is. And the inn, and the shops, and...

Yeah, the game is amazing, and I can't believe I am so full of fail that I never played it until now. On the plus side, I do at least get to savour it for the very first time!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Playing King's Bounty Warriors of the North graciously given to me by MaskedMan. It's essentially a reskin of Armored Princess... which was essentially a reskin of The Legend. There are a few new units (Vikings), a small tweak to the spell system (runes), and the rage chest/dragon abilities have been replaced by Valkyries. But, all-in-all, same stuff. Good turn based fix as I wait for Eador to get adequately patched.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Dungeon Lords MMXII edition by D. W. Bradley ( Heuristic park ). It is like watching quality dramatic play in a good theater :love: I love the props and battle narrative, could've been TB.
Really??? As a huge fan of previous Bradley's work I keep this thing very high in my backlog. I decide to play it every year but then I reread the reviews again and run away screaming.

Your post is probably the first wholehearted "love it!" reaction I've ever read. I prefer TB combat too but could stomach RT if the rest is good.
This calls for a Codex review.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Play the game, reviews are for fags. I intentionally avoid any reviews, opinions and other assorted crap, because I want to enjoy the game and Bradley is my hero. It is basically Wizardry wrapped in modern technology.
If your favourite game distribution platform is uTorrent then yes, reviews may very well be for fags.
If, on the other hand, you buy shit with your own money then it may be useful to know if, for example, is a game you crave chock full of bugs and stupid design decisions before you waste your weekly rations budget on it.

baturinsky

Arcane
Playing Skyrim and Morrowind (figuratively) side-by-side. It started with Oblivion too in the mix, but, well...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom