Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Blonsky

Prophet
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky: First Chapter
Fun game but a real waste of my time, just to much conversations that drag out and no way of cuting through it.

baturinsky

Arcane
Minecraft modpacks.

Regrowth - very neatly done modpack, tightly integrating several plant-focused mods. Set in a world with barely anything else than monsters and caked dirt, so you have to get everything from plants, and to get right plants you have to do a lot of crossbreeding. I have not got even to iron yet. Too slow gameplay for my taste, but again, very well done modpack.

Mage Quest - several magic-based mods thrown together, with skeletal quest line. I was focusing on Thaumcraft 4 and Botania. They have good synergy.

Unstable 1.8 - I played mostly Thaumcraft 5 in it, very different to previous version. Problem is, big part of it is still not working (golems), and other part is gated behind a weird mechanics of "get high on zombie brains and wait for enlightenment".

pippin

Finished the first Arkham game last night. Pretty good I must say, much much better than what I expected. Paul Dini was in charge of the story after all. The secrets were fun but the riddles themselves are a little bit too obvious. However, trying to hunt secrets behind oddly colored walls was kind of a nostalgic move for me.
Only bad thing was the final fight against the Joker - I knew it was supposed to be a WTF moment in a bad way and it is, because you only fight regular thugs, you never *really*¨fight the Joker. But I guess that has to do with Batman's principles and how you can't just kill the Joker on screen. To be honest the fight against Poison Ivy felt more challenging.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri.

Not quite as good as I had hoped, or maybe I've just become too old for this game.
The game is too fast paced and hectic to use any real tactics.
I never seem to be able to use cover to my advantage. Trees and buildings just get blown up anyway, and there's no boulders to use for cover, and the terrain in general is just too flat. One of my fondest memories in Ghost Recon was lobbing a grenade over a boulder and killing a whole platoon of enemies on the first map.
When I complete a map I feel that it was as more due to chance and good team mates (good AI) than through good play.

Also, I don't really feel there's a different gravity on moon missions. With a very low gravity, I was afraid of using the jump jets, but I can't feel any difference; jumping on a low gravity moon with full thrust from the jump jets don't put you into orbit or worse, and you jump the same distance.

Still, the game is rather fun (if rather frustrating; I've been close to rage quitting a few times). Having played System Shock before the UI was very familair and took very little time to learn.
And having played Ghost Recon some things are familiar, like one of your team mates' initial comment about the weather on each map.
I felt I had more control in Ghost Recon, but OTOH you can afford to make mistakes in TN:SFC.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I stopped wasting my time on Blackguards 2 after 17 hours. The streamlined everything in the wrong way, but that is not why I quit. I quit because they thought I would enjoy watching enemy turns that can at points take over a minute. I was on a map with spawning enemies and there were like 15 of them and they all had their turn after each other. I started browsing my phone and actually managed to look up most of what I wanted to. At that point, I thought to myself: What the fuck am I doing? Quit the game and uninstalled it.

The Marwan attacking your cities gimmick also got boring as hell. Felt like something that was there just to prolong the game length.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Recently finished Postal 2. I'll admit I missed this one back in the day, as it has a lot of things going for it...which it then proceeds to throw down the toilet.

Unlike most FPS games, Postal 2 opts for an open world approach, using several maps to portray the small town of Paradise in Arizona. The story is simple, Postal Dude is just trying to get through the week, running basic errands and dealing with an ever-growing list of psychos and nutjobs that are just ASKING to be a statistic in a killing spree.

The beauty of the game is in the details, the game is surprisingly deep in its portrayal of the town. There are factions which will react to one another (usually with violence), with a special mention going out to how they react to the player. Whip out a weapon in front of a civilian and he'll either run away scared, run off to call the cops, or pull out a weapon of his own and open fire. Exploration is rewarding as almost every house can be entered and is likely to contain at least a pop culture reference, and the humour is an acceptable mix of parody and potty humour.

The first sign of trouble for me were the storyline missions. Certain events force the player to complete a map that has no other purpose than to house that particular mission. Once that mission is done, that map is gone for good. It's during these sections that the game regresses into a crap corridor shooter, mostly because the enemy AI is shit. The level design is boring shit banal and most often involves going from the start to a certain point, then retracing your steps back to the beginning through a new wave of enemies. The saving grace of these sections is that they're short and quickly done with.

The game starts on a Monday and progresses through the week, with the town map usually expanding by a map or two every day, culminating in an Apocalypse-event on Friday where the skies look funny and it's raining cats and dogs (actually just cats, even the Apocalypse is :decline: )

And then the game completely fucks itself up on the weekend. Saturday and Sunday do not use the open-world levels of Paradise. Instead you get linear levels, one after the other, as banal shit boring as one can imagine, using every overused FPS trope in the book. Need to get through a certain area? The path must be as complex and convulated as possible, and cover at least 90% of the area's geography. Oh, and almost every single map on the weekend levels is recycled (one of them 4 times) before the game culminates in a boss fight that does nothing but destroy what little goodwill the game had built up.

It does not surprise me that the game gets average reviews, the weekend levels are as bad as the weekday levels are good and fun.

I've yet to play the DLC, but I'll give it a go sometime later, as it promises to follow the weekday formula instead of the weekend one.

EDIT: Did a little reading up on Postal 2's history. The original game only ran from Monday to Friday, with a subsequent expansion pack, Apocalypse Weekend, adding in the Saturday and Sunday part of the game. Well, it's not everyday that an expansion pack drags a game down, but this one most certainly does.

EDIT 2: How could I miss this? The game gives you 3 options when starting a new game: Play Monday thru Friday, only the weekend, or the whole week. That amount of choice is rare to see in a game nowadays, and with that in mind I can heartily recommend Postal 2 to Codexers with the warning of "skip the weekend", or at best play it once and forget about it.

Last edited:

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Still playing Dark Souls, been playing it for weeks now! Just started a 'Onebro/SL1' run too! Which means I'm gonna try to beat the game without spending any ''experience points/souls'' on increasing attributes. Prediction: I'll be playing something else by friday.:D

Comte

Trying to finally finish Baldurs Gate 2 after many many years and restarts. I think I get about halfway through the game before getting bored and quit but this year I am determined to finish this. Next will be either Underrail or Jagged Alliance 2.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
And I just finished playing the new Postal 2 Expansion Pack: Paradise Lost (though they call it a "DLC").

The best way to describe it would be to call it a Postal 2 Remix. It's the same maps as the original, but with subtle changes. A lot of assets are recycled, and yet there's enough new stuff to make it stand out on its own. But at the end of the day it's still the same ol' Postal 2.

It was while playing Paradise Lost that I realized what is one of the game's biggest missed opportunities: The weapons. Postal 2 has close to 40 weapons (including a dozen melee weapons) but most of them feel...off, somehow. The pistol is very accurate, but does low damage and has a slow rate of fire. The shotgun is puny to the point of often not being worth it, the M-16 also feels puny in damage output, and all those melee weapons are mostly for show, though a few of them really do pack a punch. Instead of being weapons with real pros and cons, most of them just feel like reskins of each other - it's like the devs are catering more to would-be-psychopaths being capable of wielding their weapon of choice than to create a 'balanced' arsenal of weapons. It doesn't mean that the weapons aren't any fun, but the novelty factor of using most of them wears off really quickly.

As mentioned previously, Paradise Lost only covers the weekdays, but the end-of-Friday mission is a rather long corridor shooter with three rounds of boss fights lined up. At least it doesn't outstay its welcome like the weekend days did in the original.

The voice acting in Postal 2 is something I forgot mentioning last time: It's quite good, especially the actor voicing Postal Dude himself. But Paradise Lost takes it a step further, with some celeb voices thrown in. The actor who played the Postal Dude in the Uwe Boll film plays himself, as does Milo Yiannopolous - though I'll admit I never came across him (or maybe I did and 'accidentally' murdered him with napalm). Other contemporary events are also present and parodied in the game, such as the big dump they take on Double Fine Studios (the 'Psychonuts' poster made me laugh out loud).

But overall, I can't really recommend Paradise Lost except to people that haven't had enough of Postal 2. It's not doing anything new, it's just being itself.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dex.

Some interesting ideas which makes it worth finishing, but some control annoyances and fairly poor voice acting are two cons. You can choose options in dialog but I don't know if it alters the story much. I'm just having fun completing quests and getting stronger in the process.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Cleaned out the bandit camp in NWN2 at the begining of Act1. So far it's better than NWN1 despite similair formula.
Got some itchy reaction when Neeshka speak with new voice (Jabłczyńska, eek!).

Plus some Deus Ex with GMDX v8.0. On the one side - it's better than Revision (no surprise here) on the other hand I already made one DE playthrough 3 months ago, so I'm a bit fed off.
There is some hidden options, that are unlocked after beating the GMDX once (but I managed to edit .ini file to skip that part). One of them is Less Ammo to find, which make Assault Rifle even more useless. Now game is spiced even better.
Big thumb up for Ash/CyberP for knockouts, now they work 99% of the time instead of vanilla ~20% (because hitboxes are borked when it comes to knocking out).
Throwing is also nice. I was shocked when my crowbar ("+200% to damage when throwed") turned NSF mook head into tomato sauce, while same weapon did only pitiful "PING!" on the MJ12 helmet. But why I can keep only one throwing knife?

Inspired by a thread I saw somewhere online I finally put together LaunchBox and all them emulators. Oh lawdy, so many fan translated SNES games I have yet to play even if it'll take me forever to get around to them.

Didn't used things like these since Xfire died.
I'm already seting it up while writing this edit.
Thanks.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Hexen.
Already completed it as Mage, and now Deathkings of the Dark Citadel came up on my chronological play list, and I recalled I hadn't played it with the other classes yet.
So now I'm playing the game as a Cleric, and halfway though the game the lack of hotkeys for items annoyed me so much that I googled for a solution. Turns out there are hotkeys (6-9, 0 and \), but this rather important information is not in the manual.

Sometimes having a bad memory can be a good thing. It means replaying a game after a couple of years I've forgot all the details, and it's almost like playing it the first time. But having played it before also means that I'm less thorough than I usually am, and had to consult a walkthorugh since I had missed a tiny, little hole I was supposed to jump into in Circe's Cavern.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I found the Cleric to be the most challenging Class to play in Hexen, as it mixes up both melee with ranged weapons, but starts out with a weak melee attack. It's also the class with the most rewarding end weapon, as the Wraithverge WTFPWNBBQs everything and everyone, regardless of such trivialities as terrain.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
It's harder to play than a Mage; a Mage have unlimited ranged attacks, while the Cleric needs to get up close. OTOH the Flechettes are really useful for a Cleric, especially against the dumb Slaughtaurs who think their shields defend against the poison cloud.
But I thought the Fighter was the hardest class to play?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
To be honest, I never gave him a shot beyond the first hub. His attacks are the most straightforward, you really need to AIM with his weapons.

The Wraithverge is Full Auto, while the Blood??? of the Mage has inbuilt homing.

Noodles

Novice
1) Trying to finish wasteland 2...Hollywood has lost all my interests.
2) Graviteam Tactics: Operation Star.
3) Jagged Alliance 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom