Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No, if you want to see hacking done right, play Severance: Blade of Darkness.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
Xcom Enemy within - Long War, can't stop playing, haven't been this hooked to a game in a long time. Couldn't get into Xcom vanilla, found it a bit too easy and things went by too fast, long war changes all that and more. It's fucking brutal on the difficulty scale but i love it.

Highly recommend it to anyone looking for a tactical turn-based challenge.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
gaussgunner said:
If you want to see "hacking" done right, play Deus Ex or VTMB. Push the "hack" button, lol. That's what it's coming to in real life, just run some automatic penetration testing tools, no brain jacks. I can't see brain jacks ever happening as long as computers are that easy to hack; hackers of all people would know it's suicide.
This reminds me of magic, in RPGs your average mage knows throws fireball, yet in "real life" (By that I mean folk tales about witches and sorcerers) are usually more subtle. "Magic Armor" is the one that is more in line with the witches' supposed capabilities, some practitioners are said to be immune to flesh wound.

mastroego

Arcane
Xcom Enemy within - Long War, can't stop playing, haven't been this hooked to a game in a long time. Couldn't get into Xcom vanilla, found it a bit too easy and things went by too fast, long war changes all that and more. It's fucking brutal on the difficulty scale but i love it.

Highly recommend it to anyone looking for a tactical turn-based challenge.
I agree, I got burned out the first time, since I did the mistake of savescumming... now I'm going through it again, with a self-imposed bronzeman: restarting a mission is allowed, reloading mid-mission only for glitches and the like.
Had to abandon a couple of missions I really felt I couldn't get through without savescumming or incredible losses.

I'm not cut out for Iron Man (spent too much time making each soldier unique), but even this way the game has become super-intense and super-engaging gain. After almost 600 hr I feel like I'm learning basic tactics and tricks yet.
Having to do missions the "honest way" forced me to really learn how to best exploit the peculiarities of each soldier.
For instance, I've just learned the power of a PROPERLY timed "command" from an officer: have your rocketeer fire TWICE in the same turn, have your elite sniper start ANOTHER ITZ chain right after he ended one, perform some suicidal action knowing that you'll get an additional yellow move to fall back... and so on.
I've also planned for the most fitting PSI soldiers from the beginning this time, and am finally making some good use of the psi abilities.

And I still have to develop the habit of using the Shadow Device!
Incredible mod, really.
Just a tad too long, true, but amazing.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
I agree, I got burned out the first time, since I did the mistake of savescumming... now I'm going through it again, with a self-imposed bronzeman: restarting a mission is allowed, reloading mid-mission only for glitches and the like.
Had to abandon a couple of missions I really felt I couldn't get through without savescumming or incredible losses.
Yea i'm 80 hours in this campaign and it feels like i'm not even close to mid-game yet (may, still using laser weapons no carapace armor). This is my 3rd campaign attempt, still really noob, first 2 attempts ended in complete disaster before even hitting september.
1st attempt i failed horribly at the tactical game, lost too many soldiers, second attempt i got shellacked at the air game, lost my satellites cause i had no interceptors to defend them with. I have a much better grasp on how to play the air war this time around and laser cannons should help. The phoenix cannon seems p. crap, i regret buying 2 of them but i don't think i'm using them right, probably better to go def/bal than aggressive. You can not fuck around with the air war, i feel it's one of the most important things to master in this game.

As far as glitches go i haven't ran into anything game breaking though, seekers double moving and firing on the same turn on revealing them is really fucking annoying even though they don't hit really hard but can be devastating in the right circumstance (chain panic). Really not sure if it's actually a bug or working as intended.
I've just learned the power of a PROPERLY timed "command" from an officer: have your rocketeer fire TWICE in the same turn, have your elite sniper start ANOTHER ITZ chain right after he ended one
Excellent tip, definitely gonna try that. I thought that ability only allows you to move and not perform another action.
And I still have to develop the habit of using the Shadow Device!
Yea idk what that is lol.

My biggest fear right now is getting into a fatigue/wound spiral, not sure if i have enough soldiers trained, only 1 loss so far but most are fatigued or wounded, a back to back terror plus council mission could really fuck me over.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I'm thirsty for some decent shooter campaigns, so I just torrented Return to Castle Wolfenstein, CoD 2, CoD: World at War and Mafia 2. I might replay Risen 2 soon because it's 2 weeks to ELEX and despite all the shit in Risen 2 I still really loved the quests and world. Might play Oblivion again soon, maybe this time with some sort of overhaul and some more major modding because I have only played the game vanilla with minor mods for graphics and whatever.
Fuck you I love Oblivion.
Speaking of shooter campaigns, is there anything like Crysis that I should play? I completed the Crysis trilogy this year and there doesn't really seem to be a lot like it, I loved the campaign of that game, it was a great shooter series.

mastroego

Arcane
Yea i'm 80 hours in this campaign and it feels like i'm not even close to mid-game yet (may, still using laser weapons no carapace armor). This is my 3rd campaign attempt, still really noob, first 2 attempts ended in complete disaster before even hitting september.
Well yes the campaign is a LOT longer than that.
One thing my previous "cheating run" was useful for, was prepare me for what comes after. Hard to set a correct PSI squad if you have no idea how psi works. Hard to prioritize the best technologies for your tactical style, if you've never seen them before. And so on.

1st attempt i failed horribly at the tactical game, lost too many soldiers, second attempt i got shellacked at the air game, lost my satellites cause i had no interceptors to defend them with. I have a much better grasp on how to play the air war this time around and laser cannons should help. The phoenix cannon seems p. crap
Honestly I don't care much for the air game so I set the Friendly Skies options. Still difficult of course but more manageable.
Anyway, I also don't like phoenix cannons but they might be useful for the lower chance of outright destruction of the UFO.
Also there's a foundry project to improve them, but I never took it as I have just a couple of those cannons, so it'd be an inefficient expense.
Lasers and sting-rays and a few Foundry projects will have to do, like it or not, for a long time. The EMP cannon arrives much, much later.

As far as glitches go i haven't ran into anything game breaking though
Yeah but I also mean crashes (had just a few but with landed barges, base assaults and so on... you don't want to lose a 3 hours mission when it's almost done), and minor things like mis-clicks, which sadly happen to me now and then. And in this game, a mis-click likely spells death.

Excellent tip, definitely gonna try that. I thought that ability only allows you to move and not perform another action.
Me too, since in the UFOpaedia it states (IIRC) that it gives a "yellow move", but it's actually anything you can do when you can yellow-move.
The paedia can be criptic like that. For instance it says that MECs "cannot use cover" - obviously they can "use" props that block LOS but they cannot peek from cover to fire. Anyway I'm not a hotshot player, so I do suggest to read the paedia carefully for some nice tips and insight. Especially the class builds, nice stuff there.

In my experience you want most of those subclasses covered to face diverse situations, but definitely you cannot do without a couple of HEAT Gunners with Rapid Fire (Mechtoids and Cyberdiscs, and later Sectopods, are easy to hit but can take A LOT of punishment), and reliable ITZ finishers supported by sappers and/or rocketeers. I once almost decimated the entire complement of EXALT ambushers in a single round, with a well placed grenade and the ITZ sniper finishing them all off in the exact order of their remaining HPs (and only because I decided at the last moment to equip the Enhanced Beam Optics... that single added point of damage made the whole chain possible!).
Also make a couple (or more) of Infantry Tanks. Equip them with Reinforced Armor, give them Iron Skin and the best armor... if you can add a PSI support buffing them with Mind Merge, they will laugh at the damage.
I've had regular enemies hitting them like 4 times in a row and cause NO damage! Sure the big robots will harm them still, but they'll survive at least, a couple of shots even perhaps.
Just make sure you handle cover and the defense scores of your team in such a way that the TANK will be targeted, not the others.
You also want 2-3 Concealment Scouts to set up proper ambushes - no other clean way to do them. Bioelectric Skin is very useful here.
Oh, and Crit Infantry soldiers become slaughterers eventually, especially with Pulse weapons.

Yea idk what that is lol.
It's a stealth bomb, makes the targeted friendlies vanish for a turn ;)

My biggest fear right now is getting into a fatigue/wound spiral, not sure if i have enough soldiers trained, only 1 loss so far but most are fatigued or wounded, a back to back terror plus council mission could really fuck me over.
I created a roster with 5 soldiers per class at the start (theoretically 5 full teams of 8 specialized soldiers), then completed it with the 6th team with the arrival of Van Doorn, Annette, the Furies and a couple of fulfilled council requests.
I feel it's now more or less enough since I've finally got rid of Exalt... it was a real pain before that, but I managed to make every single soldier to appear and sound unique, so I needed to make do with these few.
Seven teams might be better perhaps.
Oh, I generally use 1 SHIV per mission, occasionally 2. The hardest missions requires real soldiers in every slot though.

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
Batman: Arkham Asylum - incredibly gorgeous, but with atrocious world mission design (no design).
8B0A0735E84E2162C1D2648334E994D0C42CA2EE

Just Cause 3 - Just Cause 2 HD. It's gorgeous, controls well, and it's just my kind of dumb fun. I love it.
7B3E67E01D8A3AEFEDB65EF747136A6C1972862E

Hitman - gorgeous, much more signposted missions. not sure if this is to the game's benefit.

212080A34933DF9349A2303951125A6B85C72A58

pippin

No, it's Knight. Or at least I think it is. City has a different font and color scheme, this one looks as if it had an instagram filter applied to it.
Also, is Knight playable now or it will remain as a broken piece of shit forever? Sad how the series ended... it was enjoyable AAA stuff.

Jensen

Novice
It is Knight. Scarecrow is main villain in it.
Good Batman game, except too much batmobile action.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
It's Arkham Knight,the scarecrow that appears on the screen it's how it appears in Knight(his appearance in Asylum was different)and the scenery is Gotham form Knight,you can see Oracle's Clocktower

Also, is Knight playable now or it will remain as a broken piece of shit forever? Sad how the series ended... it was enjoyable AAA stuff.

I played it a few months ago without any problems,my rig is i7 3770,gtx 970 and 16gb of ram.I have an ssd btw which might have helped too(I remember something about the game running better from an ssd when it was released).Only problem I had was with the Harley Quinn dlc,a bug just froze me in place and just could play the damn thing.

Finished Bioshock Infinite and its Burial at Sea DLC.Mediocre and inferior compared to previous games,the setting is inferior as is the story and the stupid ending.They try to add a couple of new gameplay mechanics like the hook/skylines and the tears but the level design is even worse than Bioshock's so in the end the result is just inferior .The first Burial at Sea dlc is the same as the main game just in Rapture but the second one pulls a twist and changes the protagonist to Elizabeth and the gameplay changes form a fps to a more stealth focused game,nice attempt for something fresh but it doesn't really work.Not really recommended

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I got Arkham Knight with my graphics card and it seems ok but I just can't motivate myself to play it... I completed Ark City, but this time I just get bored every time I play and quit. I've played it about 90 times and still only about an hour into it.

Deleted member 7219

I forced myself to complete Arkham Knight. There was some good stuff in there, mixed in with a lot of decline. It is different from, say, Fallout 4, which is a complete shit sandwich with nothing positive to be found anywhere.

I've just started playing Commandos again. I have very fond memories playing it when it first came out in 1998. Each mission seemed fiendishly difficult. I can't remember whether it was the expansion to the first game, or Commandos 2 that had the Colditz mission. I felt damn proud when I completed that without any help from my brother.

Playing it again all these years later, it still feels like the same game although much of the challenge is gone. Still, I'm only a few missions into Norway, I think it does get fiendishly difficult later on.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Baldur's Gate 1 EE - using a mod that completely removes the new companions (too bad :smug:).
I'm using Sword Coast Strategems, of course, and generally mods that make things harder without overdoing it. Although annoyed that unlimited stacking of missiles crept in, and that Resurrection costs a ridiciously low 150 gp. Tried to fix the latter to 5000 with Near Infinity, but no dice. NI says the price is 1000 GP, I change it to 5000, but it is still 150 in-game. It didn't use to be so difficult to edit...

The game feels easier now than last time I played it - Tarnesh and Silke used to be royal pains in the ass, especially Silke, but no problems this time, not even "oh no, Khalid was killed, how sad".

I've played lots of different characters (most fun was a Chaotic Neutral Berserker with Monty&Xzar as permanent members), but this time I decided to go for the "canon" party, and figured a Priest would complement them best. True Sight certainly helped against Silke, who I consider one of the most difficult encounters in SCS BG1 since if you go the obvious route you'll face her at lvl 1, and she starts with Stoneskin and has an Invisibility + Mirror Image sequencer.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Baldur's Gate 1 EE - using a mod that completely removes the new companions (too bad :smug:).

Which mod? The pink haired mage was pure cringe.

~A7NOEENPCS/SETUP-A7NOEENPCS.TP2~ #0 #1 // Modify Enhanced Edition NPCs -> Disable all NPCs: v3.3
Argent77-A7-NoEENPCs-v3.3-0-g88dcbfb.zip

ReadMe:
#Disable Enhanced Edition NPCs

**Author:** Argent77

##Overview

A mod for BG:EE, BG:SOD, BG2:EE and EET.

The new characters introduced in BG:EE and BG2:EE are not for everyone's taste.
Their character style differs greatly from the vanilla NPCs. Moreover, in
several cases they are trying to force themselves into your party without you
having a chance to ignore them. Some of their attached quests are also very
difficult to solve without resorting to powergaming tactics.

This mod offers two possible solutions for this problem:

1. You can disable all or individual NPCs completely. Since the NPCs have only
been disabled, it is theoretically possible to reactivate them again later by
uninstalling the respective subcomponent(s) of this mod (if you have chosen to
disable them individually), or all at once.
2. You can keep all or individual NPCs from initiating conversations or events on
their own. A small number of events have been slightly altered to make this
possible. See below for more information.

If you choose the option to disable all or individual NPCs you can also choose
whether to make their personal or quest-specific items available for everyone
in shops or as loot.

##Components

- Disable Enhanced Edition NPCs (BG:EE, BG:SOD, BG2:EE and EET)
- Disable all NPCs (disables NPCs all at once)
- Disable NPCs individually (see below)
- Make all NPCs passive (makes all NPCs passive at once)
- Make individual NPCs passive (see below)

The following components are only available when selecting subcomponent "Disable NPCs individually":

- Disable Baeloth (*BG:EE and EET only*):
This component prevents Baeloth from spawning in BG:EE.
(Black Pits are not affected.)

- Disable Dorn (*BG:EE, BG:SOD, BG2:EE and EET*):
This component prevents Dorn from appearing in BG:EE, BG:SOD and BG2:EE.

- Disable Hexxat (*BG2:EE and EET only*):
This component prevents Hexxat and related NPCs from appearing in BG2:EE.

- Disable Neera (*BG:EE, BG:SOD, BG2:EE and EET*):
This component prevents Neera from appearing in BG:EE, BG:SOD and BG2:EE.

- Disable Rasaad (*BG:EE, BG:SOD, BG2:EE and EET*):
This component prevents Rasaad from appearing in BG:EE, BG:SOD and BG2:EE.

The following components are only available when selecting subcomponent
"Make individual NPCs passive":

- Make Baeloth passive (*BG:EE and EET only*):
This component reduces the introduction cutscene to a bare minimum and prevents
Baeloth from initiating a conversation on his own.

- Make Hexxat passive (*BG2:EE and EET only*):
This component prevents Hexxat from initiating a conversation on her own.

- Make Neera passive (*BG:EE, BG2:EE and EET*):
BG:EE: This component prevents Neera from initiating a conversation on her own.
BG2:EE: This component triggers the introduction cutscene in the Bridge
District only when you talk to Neera. She can be found near the place
where the Red Wizards cutscene occurs after the townsfolk talked about
the local murders.

- Make Rasaad passive (*BG2:EE and EET only*):
This component triggers the introduction cutscene in Trademeet only when you
talk to Rasaad. He can be found near the fountain.

The following component is only available if you have selected to disable all or
individual NPCs:

- Make NPC-specific items available for everyone:
This component allows you to acquire personal or quest-related items of
disabled NPC(s) from merchants all over the game or as loot from
containers or creatures.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Due to the new items (prices not in tune with original items), no Hard Times mod, the blurry backgrounds, and rumours about Safana and Jaheira being edited for a "modern audience", and a general feeling that Beamdog and the head Beambitch have little respect for the original game, I decided to abort my BG1 EE game, and install BGT instead.
Turns out that if you have bought the EE games you can redeem the Original Saga versions of BG 1 and 2 from GOG, which beats messing with six or so CDs. :incline:

Choosing the mods, and their components for the BG1 part of BGT doesn't take long, but I spend most of the day choosing and discarding BG2 mods from the huge list BWS provided me with (the NPC mods didn't take much time, though).
It better work when I'm finished with the mod selection...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Damned, I installed BGT before running BWS and it got messed up. Didn't realize BGT was just a part of BWS like an ordinary mod.
And I forgot to save the mod list, so now I have to do it all over again. Oh well, it will probably be less conflicts this time.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Tried getting back into the Mega Drive shooters M.U.S.H.A. and Gley Lancer. I used to be able to get to the final stage of the former and level 8 of the latter. Playing them now, I die in the early levels.

Vorark

Erudite
Moved on to Mass Effect 2. I have to say, it was for the best that ME2 has little to do with the main Reapers plot -- it didn't get fucked over by ME3, like ME1 was. It's perfectly fine as a standalone game and is the best game nuBioware released. Story is pants on head retarded but gameplay is so damn fun, no matter the class. My guilty pleasure.

Now on to kill almost everybody so I can fuck things even further in Derp Effect 3.

Edit: Oh god, how could I have forgotten about the super cheesy lines. Right at the prologue and Jacob is already talking about hitting 'em with the good stuff. Probably unintended but this game is pure lulz. :shittydog:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom