Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
56843.png

I've been diving back into a classic. I'm not quiet ready for Underrails Deep Caverns again. :'D
Bard's Tale is holding up quiet well. Though in part that might be because I've played
it dozens of times over the years.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Next game on my play list is Red Faction.
Took it for a test ride and first impression was that it's rather meh. OTOH it's supposed to be very short (and I did pay for it), so may not be a total waste of time even if I'm not so much into FPS games as I used to be.

What's the Kodex Konsensus?

Dayyālu

Arcane

It's short and gimmicky. The main feature was the dynamic terrain destruction and it slowly fades into the background as the developers clearly run out of interesting ideas and level design to employ it properly.

Gameplay wise, it's a very mediocre Half-Life era shooter, with industrial ambience an' mercenaries an' monsters an' badly designed boss fights. It's pretty much by-the-numbers bar the terrain destruction, they were so proud of it that there's an entire test map to show off the mechanic. Also vehicle sections.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Playing Van Helsing 2 as a mage at the moment, I found the start very rough, but once I had access to the home base it was better. I also prefer to mountain areas, more fantastic, compared to the city areas, which are more drab.
The tower defense sections are more interesting than last time, but the rewards are piss poor, so it feels like a waste of time (but at least it's fun)
Compared to the first one, the additional systems are a plus (I like being able to summon a doggo), but it feels like there's too many of them, maybe the devs should have tried to improve on the existing ones instead of adding new ones.
There's a few bugs (for example you can start the game at lvl 1 or lvl 30, I started at lvl 1, but some rewards are still scaled as if I started at lvl 30), but nothing like game-breaking. Too many empty treasure chest.
The devs also try to put as many easter eggs as possible, not matter unsubtle they are.

Finished Dark Void, a trash cover-based TPS, but at least you get a jetpack for most of the game, even if the implementation is uneven: you have two mode, one where you behave like a jet (and you can board enemy or allied aircraft), but using it inside is a death sentence and one where you can hover around, which is mostly used for some exploration and flanking enemies in combat. There's a few fun sequences that uses the jetpack well, in big levels where you can use the jet mode to quickly move around then use the hover mode to flank enemies, but there's not enough of them, the rest being either boring corridors or pur air combat.
On foot at least your character can move around quickly, unlike in Gears of War. You can improve your weapons, but as you can only improve a few, it encourages just to always use the same.
For the story, the start feels like an old adventure movie, but it sadly devolves in a mix of 'you are the chosen one' and 'aliens allied with the nazis'
And some checkpoint placement is stupid.

Also continuing with Rimworld.

Last edited:

Nostaljaded

Savant
I am sad. My PS Vita memory card is on its last legs. I keep getting errors and games crash...
Can try backing up your Vita saves to PC with CMA (Content Manager Assistant app) first.

If yours is a slim Vita/Vita TV, then you could use the internal 1GB storage for savegames testing (by removing the Vita memory card) on whether it's really the memory card that's failing or the Vita hardware itself.

My 1st Vita TV had a hardware failure just 1+ year of light usage.

Vorark

Erudite
I am sad. My PS Vita memory card is on its last legs. I keep getting errors and games crash. I've treated the system so gently, it never, ever left the house. My 3DS works like a charm, as does the PSP. Hell, even my Game Boy still works. :(

Have you heard about the SD2Vita? It's a microSD adapter, but you'll need custom firmware in order to use it. Could be worth a shot if the problem is isolated to the memory card.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

It's short and gimmicky. The main feature was the dynamic terrain destruction and it slowly fades into the background as the developers clearly run out of interesting ideas and level design to employ it properly.

Gameplay wise, it's a very mediocre Half-Life era shooter, with industrial ambience an' mercenaries an' monsters an' badly designed boss fights. It's pretty much by-the-numbers bar the terrain destruction, they were so proud of it that there's an entire test map to show off the mechanic. Also vehicle sections.

I downloaded the community patch which messed things up. Can't be bothered to reinstall, and since the game sounds so meh and I'm not really into FPS games anymore, I'll skip it.
It was interesting reading the previews in CGW, though. They were very hyped about it, even thinking it could dethrone Half-Life, but when the review copy arrived most of the fun stuff had been removed.

That means next game on my play list is Heroes Chronicles: The Sword of Frost. Boy, am I glad I played the previous ones in the chronological order within the game world (and not by release date), since the Heroes Chronicles is so sub-par compared to all the brilliant user-made maps made for HoMM 3 back then, and playing them after would be a huge anti-climax.
I'm considering giving my main hero the crappiest skills (so no Logistics or Earth Magic) just to make things more interesting, or perhaps only use Quick Combat.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
next game on my play list is Heroes Chronicles: The Sword of Frost. Boy, am I glad I played the previous ones in the chronological order within the game world (and not by release date), since the Heroes Chronicles is so sub-par compared to all the brilliant user-made maps made for HoMM 3 back then, and playing them after would be a huge anti-climax.
I'm considering giving my main hero the crappiest skills (so no Logistics or Earth Magic) just to make things more interesting, or perhaps only use Quick Combat.

I did both (not selecting Logistics and Wisdom), and in the first map it went swimmingly.
In the second, however, this happened:
FOv2NlZ.jpg

Mtrljt2.jpg

Since there's no way to avoid this battle I was force to not "Apply battle result".

i just tried "factorio" and "they're billions" (and billions and billions and billions and billions and billions). they felt like a chore. no, they felt like working at the most boring chinese assembly line. and hell, i can take a lot of punishment: i've enjoyed being a carebear on eve for years.

jackofshadows

Magister
Getting into Bugfinder. I mean, when my camp was attacked, weapons on my dudes wasn't shown >_< Still in the first chapter, game is simply feels good. Thought I wouldn't be able to get into this kind of fantasy anymore but here I am.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
In the third map of Heroes Chronicles: The Sword of Frost thing started getting difficult with the playing style I'm trying in the last of the Heroes Chronicles: gimped main hero (with skills like Scouting, Mysticism and Artillery) and using Auto Combat (not Quick Combat since it's bugged).

I found myself using tactics I've never used before, like recruiting two fresh heroes every week to get more troops.
And with no magic skills those Magic Plains will have a much higher strategic importance.

lightbane

Arcane
I tried Soul Hackers, a classic MegaTen game adapted for the PS3. The 90s factor is strong, it feels hilariously outdated and the premise has been stolen many times, including the latest Digimon games (who also happen to have the art-style for characters done by the SMT guy, funnily enough). It's cheesy but cool in a B-Movie style. Avoid the voice-acting though, it's mediocre-to-bad (except for the poor girls dressed as Jack Frost that unexpectedly say that catchphrase out-loud as part of a mascot feature in-game, lol).

I also insist on recommending the Procession to Cavalry, very funny (if short), and quite reactive. It even pokes fun at the Kickstarter users that force their hideous mugs into the games.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Been playing a lot of Total War recently. Rome 2, Napoleon, Medieval 1 and 2 with mods, Rome 1 with mods. Fun stuff. And rotating between the games keeps it fresh, especially with all those total conversion mods.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
On map six in Heroes Chronicles: The Sword of Frost.

Playing with a gimped hero
hCzcAxy.jpg

(got Earth Magic from a trainer) things sure get more interesting when you don't have Logistics, Pathfinding or Expert Town Portal and Resurrection, and using Auto Combat I can forget about finishing off pesky enemy heroes.
At one point I thought "so this is it how it feels for normies to play HoMM 3".

Last edited:
Finished Bunny Black. Forming a party of monsters and dungeon delving was better than the hentai part. Probably going to start the sequel to see the changes in mechanics.

The Decline

Arcane
Been playing Pathfinder. It's fantastic. The only thing that kind of bugs me is the slightly cartoony environments, gave me a bad flashback to NWN when I first started playing. With the fixed perspective camera I would have preferred 2D backgrounds.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Completed Heroes Chronicles: The Sword of Frost.
Even with a gimped hero (so no movement skills or Town Portal) and using only auto-combat I still managed to get a 2060 score and an Archangel rating. But small maps and starting with an Azure Dragon in about half of them makes the handicap less pronounced, even if the lack of Pathfinding was annoying on the snow terrain.

It was fun playing this way, since it made it more of a challenge, and I'm tempted to replay the older Heroes Chronicles the same way.
The game becomes more strategic and less of a blitzkrieg, and your secondary heroes (which I did not gimp) become more important.

Incidentally I used half the time completing this whole campaign that I did with a single XL user map I played recently.

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Getting into Bugfinder. I mean, when my camp was attacked, weapons on my dudes wasn't shown >_< Still in the first chapter, game is simply feels good. Thought I wouldn't be able to get into this kind of fantasy anymore but here I am.

I kinda gave up past midpoint.
Game is just too stretched out and repetitive.

jackofshadows

Magister
I kinda gave up past midpoint.
Game is just too stretched out and repetitive.
Yeah, they chose an enormous scope. I'm about 30 hours in and can't believe how huge the game is. Not sure that will be able to finish it either. Doesn't help that I've decided not to touch 2 highest difficulties for the first time so I'm facerolling p.much everything but the game has so much encounters that if I'd went with higher option it would be a slog for sure. Still, so far pleasant experience, I wish it were more compact.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I tried ironman mode and the playthrough ended when the start of the round fireball killed my main character. :lol: I thought DEX 24 would be enough to save partial, but no dice. Wiped out 20+ HP and game over.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom