Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

A.I.M. Artificial Intelligence Machines - Russian game where you fly around in an airship in an alien planet. The world is populated by many other AI ships, most of which are simply interested in trading, while others will attack you on sight, depending on their faction. You can join one of the factions that suit your style of gameplay and obtain different benefits from it. There don't seem to be any drawbacks in quitting, rejoining, etc. Progression comes from obtaining credits by finishing missions, trading, destroying other ships. This enables you to upgrade your ship in many different ways and exchange it with other models that are suited for different tasks. Some are better for transporting cargo, others for attacking; there's one attack ship made from organic materials that regenerates on its own, for example. Money is really tight as you spend lots of money repairing and upgrades are very expensive. Fighting outnumbered gets you shredded in seconds, so you'll spend most of the time running away or finding alternative routes.

What I like about it: biggish world with interesting features, exploration and free roam. After learning how to use the boost/jump button, you can take big detours by using the mountains and avoid trouble. Need to pick your fights carefully and learn how to maneuver. It's clearly a low budget game and some things could take a bit more work, but all in all seems good for what it is. I haven't explored the different areas after the rock planet, so there might be some things I'm missing. I can't play it for very long as the entire game is FPP and I get motion sickness.

Morrowind - Never gave this one any attention, I don't know why. I have a PC Gamer DVD with the main title plus the expansions, which on the cover tells me it got a magnificent score of 83%. Seems like a good deal given how much I paid for it, so why not? The first 5 minutes I was laughing at how stupid the characters look and reading the skills descriptions wondering how broken they'll turn out to be. The world seemed interesting, though, some really scenic landscapes... and the interiors... I'm a sucker for RPGs with tasteful interiors. After putting it down I wasn't sure whether to continue playing, but the world pulls you in. I'm playing an Argonian as I really like the concept of an amphibian character and after finding my first secret water cave I was sold. I'll play any game with good exploration, so I'm likely to continue on to the end.

Alisia Dragoon (Mega Drive) - Childhood game, which I gave away then reacquired much later. I don't have enough time or patience to finish old-school action games the legit way, so I usually first finish them with emulators and save states even when I have a physical copy. This is one of the most beautiful of its generation. Some of the music is fantastic, too. The game is a sidescroller action-platformer/SHMUP/ARPG hybrid where you control a girl with magical powers who jumps around and shoots energy beams from her hands. This can be upgraded as you progress, together with your pets. You have 4 pets, who get stronger as they go up to level 3 (sadly not higher than that). Switching pets to deal with specific dangers and enemies is the most original aspects of the game. Exploration is necessary to get all the upgrades, as some goodies are hidden behind tunnels and invisible entrances. The SHMUP heritage is manifested in getting hit from every direction at once, often without time to react. There were cases where I found it impossible not to get hit, but maybe I'm just too slow. Not the best game ever, but should be interesting to many.

Geneforge - Played this some time ago and got the urge to replay it, hopefully the entire series. My views are similar to what has been said already elsewhere. Let me just tell this is probably my favorite fictional setting in any RPG besides Fallout. Since I've recently learned Jeff Vogel is "remaking" it (I don't keep up with the news), I intend to play both and compare them... eventually.

Machocruz

Arcane
I played King's Field 2 & 3 back to back. KF3 is one of my all time favorites but i'd never played 2 for some reason. Twas fun, bit harder then KF3 but then again I've played that game so many times it's too easy now. Bosses were overall tougher, especially Guyra who you couldn't just meltdown with magic spam. Also made me appreciate the graphics of KF3 more. It was never a great looking game but it's a marked improvement over KF2. I kinda wish they'd kept expanding outwards after KF3 with a bigger world instead of going back to the megadungeon with KF4. But we all know what happened to From Software after this.

So then I started Shadow Tower and uhh, this game can fuck right off. Okay, its not that bad, but I was not expecting such a massive difficulty spike. The first two worlds were nothing, but the Fire levels are sum boolshit. I completely gave up any semblance of trying to play legit, savestates FTW.

It's pretty interesting though, basically survival horror RPG. It's always got that tension of trying to stay ahead of the resource curve. I thought I did well hording potions in the early areas but now there are zones in the fire realm where I burn 3-4 potions per room. It's nuts. It's also impressive how they upped the enemy graphics after the potatoland of King's Field, but as a result it has loading screens for your goddamn inventory.

I loved KF 2&3 back in the day, but I don't think I could do a full playthrough of them now. They've aged like an old whore's ass. Never played KF4.

They have some great BGM though. I can still hear that track in the first area of KF2 perfectly.

I could never really get into Shadow Tower. Didn't like how it has no music, and the level layouts were confusing af sometimes, especially with no maps in the game.
Play ST Abyss, disregard original

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I love when people crown something GotY when there's still a quarter of the year remaining.

I can only speak for myself, but I mark the gaming year by Nov 30th and Dec 1st, because games released in December "just in time for the holidays" don't have the chance to influence the year they're part of, creating uneven circumstances. There may even be reason to shift the dates even further, but so far this has worked out pretty well.

In addition 2020 as a gaming year has been full of opportunities, and yet has failed to keep up on every single one of them so far. I have a game that's lined-up to be GOTY solely because it's the only viable contender (and kinda came out of the blue) but I'm hoping it gets some competition in the ~50 days that are left. Currently my bet is on the Russians delivering in early November, but only time will tell.

EDIT: AS IF ON CUE, I make a statement and it becomes obsolete. That Russian game I was waiting for? Just got pushed back to Q1 2021. So 2020 is looking kinda bland.

Last edited:

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I'm playing Rayman 2 (PC) for the 7th time probably, this time with my kid. The game is great as always. Still looks as beautiful as it ever did. Amazing.

The one painful reflections I have to share with you is this. The first time I've played this game I was 10 years old. It was pretty difficult, especially at certain stages ( The Cave of Bad Dreams or The Sanctuary of Stone and Fire). When I was 18 the game was a breeze. All the difficult stages presented me with no difficulty whatsoever. It was still a nice journey, but a relaxing one.

Now I'm 30 and the game is difficult again. Not all the time, and it's difficult in different spots, but I'm definitely having much harder time at some levels than I should be having givien my experience.
Tomb of the Ancients was just mean.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
oh shit

YSjuavY.png

Thorakitai

Learned
Currently playing Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun on the Sega Genesis (Thank you Codex for the reccomended WRPGs).

The early-game is quite difficult as you really need to grind to level up your band of adventurers since even your meatshield will die in a few hits.

Thankfully, it gots easier once you level up and gain better equipment. It's quite fun seeing my band grow strong and explore unique locations. Only criticism as of now is that there aren't negotiations beyond killing stuff.

Currently I'm trying to finish the Azcan Pyramid and it's fucking painful. The natives are easy to cut down, navigating the pyramid maze is the real challenge with all those horrible traps and my band dying over and over again. :(

At least I'm slowly progressing. (Last progress is finally geting those Fire-resistant rings and dying trying to get out of the fucking pyramid.:argh:)

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Believe it or not, I'm actually enjoying (so far) Rage 2!

There's a lot to criticize about the game, yes, but it's surprisingly good in several ways.

First of all, once you get it running smoothly (which is no easy task), technically, it's a p. amazing game. The game engine is capable of consistently high framerate (essential for any mindless shooter) and decent textures. The landscape is great and the variety of things to look at is appealing.

The core gameplay itself isn't all that bad, either. Simple things like the AI being able to toss grenades back at you are eyebrow-raising and hilarious. The skills and perks system is not exactly shallow.

Game almost reminds me of ELEX, just faster paced and with vehicles.

Under-rated game, IMO.

Adon

Arcane
Agree. Surprisingly, the one aspect I was looking forward to that ended up being disappointing was the vehicle combat which was done really well in Mad Max, but in Rage 2, Avalanche decided to do a really stripped down version of that system. A shame, but I kind of understand why. In the original Rage, vehicle gameplay was more-or-less supplementary to the shooter part and Rage 2 just seems to follow suit.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Sanitarium continues to be completely fucking bonkers. This is the only point and click I've ever really enjoyed, aside from the excellent Puzzle Agent games. Anyone suggest some other stranger point and click games?

QKl6to0.jpg

2ihRU0l.jpg

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Finished Shadow Tower. That was certainly a game. When I got to the last level there was this knight dude who could kill me in two hits. I shot him with arrows and dodged. After that the King appeared but he was just a big blob. His attacks did minimal damage and he died after a few whacks. The whole game was about finding this legendary king's demon crown that could take over the world or something. The ending cinematic showed a king ruling with the crown but I couldn't tell if it was a flashback or me in the future.

I'm not sure what From Soft was going for with this. It's a successor to King's Field, but conceptually and tonally almost completely different. It's a smaller game with a more linear style and extremely cramped spaces. It had 20-odd levels but they were each small, around 3-4 rooms and you go through them more or less in order. A few times there were options to go ahead a level or two, if you knew what you were doing you could skip some content. However due to enemies and items being finite, the player is encouraged to grind out every stage to 100% dead monsters in order to maximize your gains. Killing monsters gives you stat points directly (which the game calls Soul Points, HMMMMMMMMMMMMM) but half the stats are weird like 'melting' and 'particle', while 'strength' is actually constitution. If you want to boost damage you increase your 'slashing' or 'piercing' directly. You sometimes find items that let you assign bonus soul points, so if you want you can max out your Particle stat for a full particle build............. whatever the fuck that does.

After about a third of the game I acquired a bunch of HP regenerating gear. It only heals you to 50% HP but it was good enough to get free item repairs and then I could use all my good kit without consequences. I ended the game with over 60 HP potions.

Welp, on to Shadow Tower Abyss. Let's see....

OKay, controls massively improved, graphics improved, enemies get dismembered and chopped up by attacks, and I have a gun so I guess it's present day. It has almost an Eternal Darkness vibe where I'm finding swords and armor but also modern pistols, flintlocks, cowboy guns, etc. You're exploring this place where various adventurers throughout the ages have died.

The story is about the Spear King who ruled an empire until he lost his spear and the empire fell. The intro shows the spear, it has an eye like the crown from the first game so I guess the crown is the spear. So my character did become a ruthless overlord. Neat. I've also met the demon girl from the original so there's the connection.

This time instead of going down a tower I appear to be going up, or outward. Idk. The graphical style is different and the tower looks way more alien and cool. Resources are still managed the same, except I can actually sell items for cunes now, and HP potions cost 2 instead of 1. Darn inflation. Also the repair cost seems to be flat until the item is broken, unlike the first game where it was based on remaining durability. So the optimal strat is to wear down all items to 1 durability before repairing.

Anyway, made it through the bug hive where the enemies still attack you even if you chop their heads off or cut their bodies in half. Good times.

Ophelmark

Barely Literate
Shin Megami Tensei:Strange Journey.I'm close to finish it.It has been an amazing ride.Over the time i have grown tired of the usual formula in JRPGS.Don't misunderstand me.I think those games are good and have their audience.But as i grow older.They just don't resonate with me anymore.When i was playing Strange Journey.It took me a while to realize all the cast are adults.I was so used to the teeneger saves the world with his hs dudes and chicks.It didn't register in the beginning.Just that thing made the game a million times better for me.

Another thing that made the game stand out was the alignment system.In most games you are just playing as the protagonist.Even tho you might differ in his views of the world.But in this game you have the chance to shape that road.By responding honestly to the various situations you are put through in the game.I was honestly surprised my char turned out to be Law aligned.I didn't try to cheat or anything i just picked the choices i thought were right.

It's a shame 99% of JRPGS games still follow the old formula and never try to do something more creative like this game.Sorry if i was a bit rambley but i'm a bit drunk.

lightbane

Arcane
Playing Among Us with friends for the first time.

Is this game actually worth it? So far it seems to be normie bait, with (ugly) Youtubers and idiots aplenty. It looks like a mainstream, dumbed down Space Station 13 to me.

I didn't try to cheat or anything i just picked the choices i thought were right.

Sadly, SJ still uses the classic caricatures of classic SMT games: Christians Lawful path followers are fascistic psychos who hate free will, Chaos followers are anarchists and/or lol-chaos demons, and Neutral path is the only one that makes actual sense. Supposedly the Redux re-master of the game fixes that, by adding each path variations in morality, including a legit good lawful path.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I beat Suikdoen II. My thoughts about this replay is that it starts out very strong, then it keeps going until you defeat

Luca Blight
They really make you hate him. Sure, he's a bit of a caricature, but I like how they did him. A pretty raw, no holds barred villain.

After that, it drops a bit, the Neclord section is decent, but the low point for me. Then, it picks up again, and the final hours are great. I got the 108 SoD ending. Now, I only have Suikoden III left to play. The only game in the series where I didn't gather all 108 heroes.

Geneforge 4 feels a bit weaker than the previous games in the series. I'm with the shapers, and I'm playing as a shaper myself. Going to just do that for the next game, too. Story and characters just haven't grabbed me in the same way is GF1 and 2. I'll try to finish the series before the end of the year. I don't reckon that I have much left in GF4, maybe a few more hours.

When it comes to my PSVITA, I found my 4GB memory card, so I'm using that to play Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair. I liked the first one well enough, so why not? Monokuma alone makes these games worthwhile.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sanitarium
Great game, but very uneven.
I actually think the bug level is the strongest of the lot. It's odd at first because up to that point you think you're playing a pure horror adventure game, and then suddenly you've got this silly sci-fi comic book pastiche with body horror elements and it throws the mood out of whack for a while. But this is also when you start to connect the dots and get a sense of the bigger picture and how the vignettes are connected, which for me was the high point of the game. It's also every bit as horrifying as what comes before, just in a different way. Shame about what comes after.
Can't really think of a similar game, except maybe I Have No Mouth, and even then it's a different thing. Honestly, Ps:T might be the closest.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Believe it or not, I'm actually enjoying (so far) Rage 2!

There's a lot to criticize about the game, yes, but it's surprisingly good in several ways.

First of all, once you get it running smoothly (which is no easy task), technically, it's a p. amazing game. The game engine is capable of consistently high framerate (essential for any mindless shooter) and decent textures. The landscape is great and the variety of things to look at is appealing.

The core gameplay itself isn't all that bad, either. Simple things like the AI being able to toss grenades back at you are eyebrow-raising and hilarious. The skills and perks system is not exactly shallow.

Game almost reminds me of ELEX, just faster paced and with vehicles.

Under-rated game, IMO.
Fuck off. Don't compare this shit to Elex.

Ultima VII on my Android tablet, thanks to MagicDosbox (a fantastic app, fully worth the price). Perfectly playable. I'm actually surprised how well touchscreen controls work with this game.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Is this game actually worth it? So far it seems to be normie bait, with (ugly) Youtubers and idiots aplenty. It looks like a mainstream, dumbed down Space Station 13 to me.
The game is OK. One benefit is its cross-platform ability, specifically people can play it on their phones against people on the computer.

I played with five people. It was fun the first couple of games, and we were on voice chat. After a while, it got kind of boring, and people who are not good at lying on voice chat were easily singled out. The game is probably better with text-only chat for discussion and our group of five joining with another group of five. We might try that next week.

For $5.99, the price is fair for an easy-to-setup party game for normies.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finishing up Trinity. Love the Alice in Wonderland motif and the story/writing in general, don't love the combination of limited inventory space and locations with strict time limits that close off when you leave. Some puzzles are really clever (I especially liked everything to do with the sundial), but the amount of savescum-related busywork I'm having to go through puts a damper on the experience.

Edit: Finished it. The final area was very cool. Good game all in all, despite the annoyances.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom