Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Fuck off. Don't compare this shit to Elex.

Ways that Rage 2 is like ELEX:

1. Open world game, free to explore at will

2. Game is post-apocalyptic and dystopian in nature

3. Game features wide variety of creatures and mutants to battle

4. Game features several factions to work with or work against, all with their own interests

5. Game features a fairly rudimentary character skill system with perks, all upgradeable using items found in-game

6. Game is generally action-based, but has enough RPG-like aspects to keep it interdasting

Shall I continue?

RoSoDude

Arcane
Just finished Resident Evil, the original PSX game (US version). I got used to the tank controls and fixed cameras in mere minutes, and found very little of the experience to be dated or obtuse. Absolutely holds up today.

I followed some recommendations to play as Jill for my first playthrough, which I believe was the right move after my experience and reading up a bit on the differences. While some have derided her as the "easy mode" and insist on Chris as the only valid option, I think they're forgetting just how punishing the game can be your first time, and particularly how much it rewards meta knowledge of item and enemy placement. Jill comes with 2 more inventory slots than Chris for a total of 8, as well as a lockpick which enables her to get past doors requiring the sword key and cabinets requiring small keys, access to the powerful grenade launcher, and some assistance from Barry, particularly in acquiring an early shotgun. These benefits certainly put Jill over the top compared to Chris' increased health and run speed and access to the flamethrower, but they by no means trivialize the game. Instead, I see Jill as the introductory character allowing you to familiarize yourself with the mansion layout and its challenges, while Chris is better for repeat playthroughs as his drawbacks (particularly inventory capacity and need to lug around keys) lead to an interesting optimization puzzle where you have to strategically eliminate enemies and open up various areas of the mansion while managing limited resources and lugging around key items. Like many modes that change up gameplay, the choice of character seems intended more as a vector for replayability than as a straightforward difficulty selector.

I was rather impressed with the mansion layout, particularly how much agency you're granted to explore and indeed to make mistakes that have long-term consequences. Early on I was too conservative about saving my progress and found myself having to redo somewhat lengthy sequences because of my stingy use of ink ribbons, and it took a while before I had a comfortable supply of ammo and healing items to fall back on. Inventory space was always at a premium because I wasn't yet confident enough to run around without extra ammo for my guns, and because I always kept ink ribbons on hand in case I found a typewriter without a nearby item box. You're required to take the initiative to explore the second floor on both sides yourself, and I'll admit the music you hear upon entering the upstairs rooms, in tandem with the dragging footsteps of zombies around the corner, filled me with some dread about venturing forward. It's for that reason I forgot to explore the rest of the upstairs section for the grenade launcher until much later in the game, which also made the first half of the game more challenging. I'd take a different approach now that I know what the game has in store, but the fuzzy uncertainty about what you'll need to face murky unknown threats in the future is quintessential to the horror experience, and I found the game struck a satisfyingly tense balance between power and vulnerability, even as it gave me multiple ropes with which to metaphorically hang myself.

The guardhouse was a nice miniaturized chunk of explorative gameplay in the same vein, and had a few great scares to boot. The shark was unnerving and memorable (fun fact, its intro cutscene only occurs if you take a counterclockwise route in the room), but the real star of the show was the spider encounter in the parlor. I've discovered over time that I have a uh, healthy amount of arachnophobia, and was frozen with fear when I walked in and saw the giant spider crawling on the ceiling. My adrenaline went into overdrive when it dropped down and a second spider joined it, startling me and sending shivers down my spine as I frantically evaded them. It took a minute after they were both dead to totally calm down; something about enormous spiders creeping around on eight legs just freaks me out (see also Thief and Arx Fatalis). In any case, I managed to stock up on shotgun shells, kill the area boss, and grab the helmet key to open the last few doors in the mansion. Time to head back.

This is when Resident Evil becomes truly brilliant. On your return to the mansion, a first-person cutscene plays of some extremely fast monster tracing your footsteps and chasing you inside. You're met with a hunter, a reptilian creature that slowly stalks forward before leaping into an assault with its sharp claws. It takes a lot of high-powered ammo to kill, doesn't stagger easily, and can quickly slash you to death from full health. And the worst part is, the mansion is now absolutely filled with these guys. You spend all this time in the beginning getting to know the layout of the mansion, after which you go off to the gaurdhouse for a while, where you'll probably collect a decent amount of supplies. When you get back, the whole place is crawling with new and terrifyingly deadly enemies (including giant spiders in the old dog ambush room, fuuuuuuck). Now you have to use your previous knowledge of the mansion to chart out efficient routes to the final remaining locked rooms, clearing as few enemies as possible to conserve ammo while avoiding their lethal claw swipes. You kill a boss and drop into the mansion basement, which is pretty basic but still frightening as you're in uncharted territory without a safe room in sight, and the music theme (original release, NOT the DualShock version) is absolutely bone-chilling from the first notes you hear entering the door. You have to make your way back up to the mansion proper and deal with more hunters that you likely previously left alone before you can save and restock.

Eventually you find the battery and can move onto the underground section, which was the biggest low point during my playthrough. It's mostly a sequence of linear corridors which offers only the most minimal exploration and puzzle solving and is mostly just populated with a glut of hunters to ruin your day. I was very low on resources, including ink ribbons, so I had to run past a lot of them and ended up having to endure several cutscenes 3-4 times until I finally got through it all in a tedious exercise in trial and error. The laboratory is the final section of the game and is more like the guardhouse; a miniature exploratory section with some tough enemy encounters and puzzles to solve, and fortunately you're showered in ink ribbons to give you a breather once you gain entry to the safe room. There's a side objective to use 3 items you could have found in earlier sections on terminals scattered throughout the level (one of which puts you in the path of the most deadly and persistent enemies in the game) to unlock the good ending, which I managed to accomplish. The "final" boss was the second-worst part of the game after the Underground section, not because of its actual challenge, but because of the lengthy unskippable cutscene that occurs right before it, making the fact that the boss can easily stunlock you into a corner and slash you to death very frustrating. There's a short escape sequence and a true final boss (if you meet certain conditions, apparently) which I defeated with only 10 seconds and a scrap of health remaining. Very satisfying, and appropriate for a game inspired by horror flicks.

Resident Evil is a solid title that is surprisingly accessible, cleverly designed, and indeed scary at times, even 24 years later. I didn't mention any of the campy dialogue, but it adds a lot of charm and complements the game's rich atmosphere. While I'm interested to see what the remake has to offer, I must say that the original visuals and music possess a unique atmosphere that it doesn't capture, and I'm glad I decided to play the original first. Particularly since I think the original will be a better segue into the other PSX titles in the series that I'll be playing next. Definitely recommend. And don't play the DualShock version, it butchers the best music track in the game:

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
an interesting optimization puzzle where you have to strategically eliminate enemies and open up various areas of the mansion while managing limited resources and lugging around key items. Like many modes that change up gameplay, the choice of character seems intended more as a vector for replayability than as a straightforward difficulty selector.

I was rather impressed with the mansion layout, particularly how much agency you're granted to explore and indeed to make mistakes that have long-term consequences.
the remake doubles down on this. There are slightly more puzzles to solve, more supplies to manage and story-related items to lug around, the mansion layout is more sophisticated (for example, there's a door with a broken knob that can be opened in only one way). The player is incentivized to avoid killing zombies (both because of lack of ammo, and because downed zombies can now raise from the dead again), which creates another element to keep track of when planning your route through the mansion.

REmake is all around great game that improves on almost everything from the original, the only controversial thing about it is probably the change of art style.

Codex Year of the Donut

4. Game features several factions to work with or work against, all with their own interests

5. Game features a fairly rudimentary character skill system with perks, all upgradeable using items found in-game

6. Game is generally action-based, but has enough RPG-like aspects to keep it interdasting

Shall I continue?
rage 2 is absolutely shit with essentially zero redeeming qualities besides having fairly decent shooting mechanics

RoSoDude

Arcane
an interesting optimization puzzle where you have to strategically eliminate enemies and open up various areas of the mansion while managing limited resources and lugging around key items. Like many modes that change up gameplay, the choice of character seems intended more as a vector for replayability than as a straightforward difficulty selector.

I was rather impressed with the mansion layout, particularly how much agency you're granted to explore and indeed to make mistakes that have long-term consequences.
the remake doubles down on this. There are slightly more puzzles to solve, more supplies to manage and story-related items to lug around, the mansion layout is more sophisticated (for example, there's a door with a broken knob that can be opened in only one way). The player is incentivized to avoid killing zombies (both because of lack of ammo, and because downed zombies can now raise from the dead again), which creates another element to keep track of when planning your route through the mansion.

REmake is all around great game that improves on almost everything from the original, the only controversial thing about it is probably the change of art style.
Sounds cool. I'll definitely play it sometime, I just thought that if it really is the improved experience everyone says it is, I'll still appreciate it with the context of having played the original first. The changed art style I can go either way on, just glad I got to experience the original's special vibe. I care about gameplay more than aesthetics, anyway (though the latter is particularly relevant for horror games).

JDR13

Arcane

Shall I continue?

You could just as easily be describing Fallout 3/4 there

Ash

Arcane

Not quite. He's going to love what they did to his favorite track (Mansion basement).

The soundtrack is decline.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I recall borrowing RE 1 from a friend on original PSX. Played as Chris, ran out of ammo on the first zombie, tried to knife stuff, kept dying. Said this game sucks.

Fren tells me, play Jill and try to conserv ammo. "Wha? DON'T kill everything??" Ended up having a blast.

Also come on, this is the best song in the game:

DeepOcean

Arcane

Shall I continue?

You could just as easily be describing Fallout 3/4 there
This is as descriptive as white male caucasian or kinda brown asiatic man.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Shall I continue?
rage 2 is absolutely shit with essentially zero redeeming qualities besides having fairly decent shooting mechanics

Having decent shooting mechanics isn't a good enough reason to play a FPS?

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Two months, 2 discarded characters and 2 full playthroughs later and I've finally had my fill of UnderRail. I don't think I've ever fallen so deeply into a game before as I've with this one, Infusion is now on my list of RPGs I'm personally lookin' forward to.

Anyways, as a palette cleanser I've decided to reinstall Quake, a game I haven't touched in years. I'm eager to see how it feels after trying a majority of this new wave of classic shooters, as well as seeing what it's custom map and mod scene has to offer. Arcane Dimensions and whatever has the most positive consensus on the Good Quake Maps thread. Also mulling over installing the Quake 1.5 Mod since it doesn't seem to suffer from the same problem as the Thief HD Mods and is ostensibly very customizable.

Gamezor

Learned
Two months, 2 discarded characters and 2 full playthroughs later and I've finally had my fill of UnderRail. I don't think I've ever fallen so deeply into a game before as I've with this one, Infusion is now on my list of RPGs I'm personally lookin' forward to.

Anyways, as a palette cleanser I've decided to reinstall Quake, a game I haven't touched in years. I'm eager to see how it feels after trying a majority of this new wave of classic shooters, as well as seeing what it's custom map and mod scene has to offer. Arcane Dimensions and whatever has the most positive consensus on the Good Quake Maps thread. Also mulling over installing the Quake 1.5 Mod since it doesn't seem to suffer from the same problem as the Thief HD Mods and is ostensibly very customizable.

I loved what I played in underrail but had to quit when I hit a wall because my build was no good. I plan to return to it soon. I like that the game allows you to make a bad build and have learned I always have more fun if I don’t look up good ones or walkthroughs which I kinda ruined fallout for myself by doing. Figuring it out is what makes the game fun. I just didn’t really want to immediately play the same content again.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Reached the last part of my Heroes Chronicles replay (with handicaps), and on the fourth map of Revolt of the Beastmasters - The King's Son -, I've come very close to losing.
The enemy starts with a strong hero who wreaks havoc in the neighbourhood, and with few troops and (thanks to rushing the previous maps) no god-like stats on Tarnum it took a while to defeat that hero and secure the area. But then a second strong hero appeared with 200 archers, 350 Pikemen and 85 Royal Griffons, and I had to abandon three of my four castles. When I tried defending my first castle I barely beat him on manual control, but since I'm playing with auto-combat I decided to retreat instead.
After recruiting all troops in my last castle at the beginning of the next week I was able to defeat him, with only a stack of Lizardmen left (actually my best stack since as part of his gimping Tarnum has Expert Archery).

So at least there's one challenging map (medium sized) in all the Chronicles, except for a few small ones in The World Tree and The Fiery Moon.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I actually had to give up. The enemy just has too many troops and too many high level heroes.

But playing this way, with auto-combat has really taught me to hate the AI even more. It's too bad quick combat is bugged (only enemy heroes use spells), 'cause AC is just too frustating when you can't afford too much losses.

Final verdict on the Heroes Chronicles:

Conquest of the Underworld, Master of the Elements and Clash of the Dragons are pure garbage. So easy that it's an insult too all but complete novices. May be worth it for storyfags who has only read a few Drizzt books or something before and has an unfulfilled craving for Fantasy.

Warlords of the Wasteland and Sword of Frost was quite fun playing with handicaps, and slightly challenging. But they were also the two first ones I played this way, which may have influenced things.

The free (if you already purchased some of the other Chronicles) downloads The World Tree and The Fiery Moon are actually the best ones IMO from a gameplay perspective, offering a moderate challenge, especially the first couple of maps.

Revolt of the Beastmasters is the most uneven one, with the first three maps about on par with WotW and SoF difficulty wise, but the fourth map is brutal for a gimped hero who rushed the first three maps.

All suffer from extreme storyfaggotness, with lots and lots of events about the most banal and trivial things that are completely unconnected from what your units are doing, and with writing that is barely above fan fiction level. The overall story is quite interesting, though, and there are interesting bits of lore.

ebPD8PePfC

Savant
My journey toward the top of the chess world continues. After going through the tutorial section of Lichess I no longer need two queens in order to mate my opponent. Truly a fearsome beast, I've decided to avoid crushing the spirits of men in favor of playing against AI. The main advantage is that most games against the computer end really fast because it moves instantly. It's very easy to zone out and grind a hundred one minute games listening to podcasts, and I'm pretty sure I'm improving. I'm faster and tend to blunder less, though my end game is still garbage.
lichess said:
Games played: 2050~
Your Blitz rating is 1200.
You are better than 18% of Blitz players.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I tried out the demo for Xuan-Yuan Sword VII. It was pretty cool. A random screenshot of a waterfall.
82A4478C03B3736B06B5FCEF16F743958A054B0A

Ezekiel

Arcane
Trying to play Crazy Taxi again. I've modded the original music in. I feel like the crazy dash (let go of accelerator, shift down, shift up and accelerate) was much easier to do on Dreamcast than on Steam. It only works about 20 percent of the time. What's the point if I can't get crazy high scores like when I was a kid? The DC emulators frustrate me. They perform far worse than Gamecube, PS2 and N64 emulators.

Maz

Literate

Shall I continue?

Having decent shooting mechanics isn't a good enough reason to play a FPS?
Is having enough stealth mechanics a reason to play Assassin's Creed? Shooting in this game is really fun, but this is a game; if it were just a shooter, like doom(there really isn't a story there. they were like " ok ok there's this gun, there are these enemies, idk go kill them?") i'd play it; because it'd be just shooting, no story, no essential characters or quests, but since this game tries to do more and fails, I say it is not worth £39.99 at all(but hey, I think it is on gamepass huh?)

Tancred

Learned
Nostalgic blast from the past - replayed Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings & the Lost Ocean on my old Gamecube.

I remember it took me 1.5 years or so to complete this back in the day, only took about 4 weeks this time. An interesting card-based battle system and a long-ass story with more than a few unexpected twists and turns. A prequel with refined mechanics/systems was made, but it never got a PAL release so I don't think I'll ever be playing it unless it can be emulated in Dolphin.

Maz

Literate
Worst mistake of my life wasn't playing Witcher 3 for the second time, but was entering a group chat about Witcher 3. They were all like " Yeah yeah Ali, W3 is my favourite rpg too! i think it's the best rpg out there, I mean it's better than SKYRIM". Convincing an Iranian that W3 is not rpg, is a waste of time; never seen a gaming community more toxic that Iran's gaming community. Dropped W3, it is clearly not made for me.

JDR13

Arcane
I tried out the demo for Xuan-Yuan Sword VII. It was pretty cool. A random screenshot of a waterfall.
82A4478C03B3736B06B5FCEF16F743958A054B0A

Played the demo and wasn't impressed. Very linear, and the dialogues were soooo slow without any way to skip them or speed them up. The combat was the only redeeming feature imo.

HansDampf

Arcane
Nostalgic blast from the past - replayed Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings & the Lost Ocean on my old Gamecube.

I remember it took me 1.5 years or so to complete this back in the day, only took about 4 weeks this time. An interesting card-based battle system and a long-ass story with more than a few unexpected twists and turns. A prequel with refined mechanics/systems was made, but it never got a PAL release so I don't think I'll ever be playing it unless it can be emulated in Dolphin.
I don't know any other games with that kind of twist where
the protagonist betrays the player.
Also, :obviously: Battle Theme.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom