Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

What game are you wasting time on?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Trash, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    Play ST Abyss, disregard original

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Grampy_Bone Arcane

Grampy_Bone
    Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
    I'm this far into ST original I'm going to try to power through it. I have Abyss though and tried it briefly and it does seem quite a bit better.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    I can only speak for myself, but I mark the gaming year by Nov 30th and Dec 1st, because games released in December "just in time for the holidays" don't have the chance to influence the year they're part of, creating uneven circumstances. There may even be reason to shift the dates even further, but so far this has worked out pretty well.

In addition 2020 as a gaming year has been full of opportunities, and yet has failed to keep up on every single one of them so far. I have a game that's lined-up to be GOTY solely because it's the only viable contender (and kinda came out of the blue) but I'm hoping it gets some competition in the ~50 days that are left. Currently my bet is on the Russians delivering in early November, but only time will tell.

EDIT: AS IF ON CUE, I make a statement and it becomes obsolete. That Russian game I was waiting for? Just got pushed back to Q1 2021. So 2020 is looking kinda bland.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    ^ Top  
  4. Jvegi Arcane

Jvegi
    I'm playing Rayman 2 (PC) for the 7th time probably, this time with my kid. The game is great as always. Still looks as beautiful as it ever did. Amazing.

The one painful reflections I have to share with you is this. The first time I've played this game I was 10 years old. It was pretty difficult, especially at certain stages ( The Cave of Bad Dreams or The Sanctuary of Stone and Fire). When I was 18 the game was a breeze. All the difficult stages presented me with no difficulty whatsoever. It was still a nice journey, but a relaxing one.

Now I'm 30 and the game is difficult again. Not all the time, and it's difficult in different spots, but I'm definitely having much harder time at some levels than I should be having givien my experience.
    Tomb of the Ancients was just mean.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. JDR13 Prophet

JDR13
    I remember taking a look at Abyss back in the day, but I couldn't get past the weirdness of it having machine guns.

^ Top  
  6. JDR13 Prophet

JDR13
    For you perhaps, but I'm not sure how many people wouild share that opinion.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Grampy_Bone Arcane

Grampy_Bone
    oh shit

[​IMG]

• Equip the Ring x 7
    • Informative x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Deus Vult x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Thorakitai Novice

Thorakitai
    Currently playing Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun on the Sega Genesis (Thank you Codex for the reccomended WRPGs).

The early-game is quite difficult as you really need to grind to level up your band of adventurers since even your meatshield will die in a few hits.

Thankfully, it gots easier once you level up and gain better equipment. It's quite fun seeing my band grow strong and explore unique locations. Only criticism as of now is that there aren't negotiations beyond killing stuff.

Currently I'm trying to finish the Azcan Pyramid and it's fucking painful. The natives are easy to cut down, navigating the pyramid maze is the real challenge with all those horrible traps and my band dying over and over again. :(

At least I'm slowly progressing. (Last progress is finally geting those Fire-resistant rings and dying trying to get out of the fucking pyramid.:argh:)

• nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    Heh I was used to that kind of thing from playing SaGa games on Gameboy. You could bust out SMGs and cap fantasy monsters while wearing medieval armor

^ Top  
  10. Crispy I'm trying to improve my attitude. Undisputed Queen of Faggotry

Crispy
    Believe it or not, I'm actually enjoying (so far) Rage 2!

There's a lot to criticize about the game, yes, but it's surprisingly good in several ways.

First of all, once you get it running smoothly (which is no easy task), technically, it's a p. amazing game. The game engine is capable of consistently high framerate (essential for any mindless shooter) and decent textures. The landscape is great and the variety of things to look at is appealing.

The core gameplay itself isn't all that bad, either. Simple things like the AI being able to toss grenades back at you are eyebrow-raising and hilarious. The skills and perks system is not exactly shallow.

Game almost reminds me of ELEX, just faster paced and with vehicles.

Under-rated game, IMO.

• Brofist x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Adon Arcane

Adon
    Agree. Surprisingly, the one aspect I was looking forward to that ended up being disappointing was the vehicle combat which was done really well in Mad Max, but in Rage 2, Avalanche decided to do a really stripped down version of that system. A shame, but I kind of understand why. In the original Rage, vehicle gameplay was more-or-less supplementary to the shooter part and Rage 2 just seems to follow suit.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. PulsatingBrain Huge and Ever-Growing Patron

PulsatingBrain
    Sanitarium continues to be completely fucking bonkers. This is the only point and click I've ever really enjoyed, aside from the excellent Puzzle Agent games. Anyone suggest some other stranger point and click games?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  13. Catacombs Cipher Patron

Catacombs
    Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Playing Among Us with friends for the first time.

^ Top  
  14. Grampy_Bone Arcane

Grampy_Bone
    -I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream

-Harvester
    -Dark Seed 1/2

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Grampy_Bone Arcane

Grampy_Bone
    Finished Shadow Tower. That was certainly a game. When I got to the last level there was this knight dude who could kill me in two hits. I shot him with arrows and dodged. After that the King appeared but he was just a big blob. His attacks did minimal damage and he died after a few whacks. The whole game was about finding this legendary king's demon crown that could take over the world or something. The ending cinematic showed a king ruling with the crown but I couldn't tell if it was a flashback or me in the future.

I'm not sure what From Soft was going for with this. It's a successor to King's Field, but conceptually and tonally almost completely different. It's a smaller game with a more linear style and extremely cramped spaces. It had 20-odd levels but they were each small, around 3-4 rooms and you go through them more or less in order. A few times there were options to go ahead a level or two, if you knew what you were doing you could skip some content. However due to enemies and items being finite, the player is encouraged to grind out every stage to 100% dead monsters in order to maximize your gains. Killing monsters gives you stat points directly (which the game calls Soul Points, HMMMMMMMMMMMMM) but half the stats are weird like 'melting' and 'particle', while 'strength' is actually constitution. If you want to boost damage you increase your 'slashing' or 'piercing' directly. You sometimes find items that let you assign bonus soul points, so if you want you can max out your Particle stat for a full particle build............. whatever the fuck that does.

After about a third of the game I acquired a bunch of HP regenerating gear. It only heals you to 50% HP but it was good enough to get free item repairs and then I could use all my good kit without consequences. I ended the game with over 60 HP potions.

Welp, on to Shadow Tower Abyss. Let's see....

OKay, controls massively improved, graphics improved, enemies get dismembered and chopped up by attacks, and I have a gun so I guess it's present day. It has almost an Eternal Darkness vibe where I'm finding swords and armor but also modern pistols, flintlocks, cowboy guns, etc. You're exploring this place where various adventurers throughout the ages have died.

The story is about the Spear King who ruled an empire until he lost his spear and the empire fell. The intro shows the spear, it has an eye like the crown from the first game so I guess the crown is the spear. So my character did become a ruthless overlord. Neat. I've also met the demon girl from the original so there's the connection.

This time instead of going down a tower I appear to be going up, or outward. Idk. The graphical style is different and the tower looks way more alien and cool. Resources are still managed the same, except I can actually sell items for cunes now, and HP potions cost 2 instead of 1. Darn inflation. Also the repair cost seems to be flat until the item is broken, unlike the first game where it was based on remaining durability. So the optimal strat is to wear down all items to 1 durability before repairing.

Anyway, made it through the bug hive where the enemies still attack you even if you chop their heads off or cut their bodies in half. Good times.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. Ophelmark Barely Literate

Ophelmark
    Shin Megami Tensei:Strange Journey.I'm close to finish it.It has been an amazing ride.Over the time i have grown tired of the usual formula in JRPGS.Don't misunderstand me.I think those games are good and have their audience.But as i grow older.They just don't resonate with me anymore.When i was playing Strange Journey.It took me a while to realize all the cast are adults.I was so used to the teeneger saves the world with his hs dudes and chicks.It didn't register in the beginning.Just that thing made the game a million times better for me.

Another thing that made the game stand out was the alignment system.In most games you are just playing as the protagonist.Even tho you might differ in his views of the world.But in this game you have the chance to shape that road.By responding honestly to the various situations you are put through in the game.I was honestly surprised my char turned out to be Law aligned.I didn't try to cheat or anything i just picked the choices i thought were right.

It's a shame 99% of JRPGS games still follow the old formula and never try to do something more creative like this game.Sorry if i was a bit rambley but i'm a bit drunk.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    You might wanna keep an eye on the upcoming Strangeland.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Hóngwèibīng Arcane Vatnik

Hóngwèibīng
    Still gotta work on your attitude, Crisper. :M

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Is this game actually worth it? So far it seems to be normie bait, with (ugly) Youtubers and idiots aplenty. It looks like a mainstream, dumbed down Space Station 13 to me.

Sadly, SJ still uses the classic caricatures of classic SMT games: Christians Lawful path followers are fascistic psychos who hate free will, Chaos followers are anarchists and/or lol-chaos demons, and Neutral path is the only one that makes actual sense. Supposedly the Redux re-master of the game fixes that, by adding each path variations in morality, including a legit good lawful path.

^ Top  
  20. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I beat Suikdoen II. My thoughts about this replay is that it starts out very strong, then it keeps going until you defeat

Show Spoiler
    Luca Blight
    They really make you hate him. Sure, he's a bit of a caricature, but I like how they did him. A pretty raw, no holds barred villain.

After that, it drops a bit, the Neclord section is decent, but the low point for me. Then, it picks up again, and the final hours are great. I got the 108 SoD ending. Now, I only have Suikoden III left to play. The only game in the series where I didn't gather all 108 heroes.

Geneforge 4 feels a bit weaker than the previous games in the series. I'm with the shapers, and I'm playing as a shaper myself. Going to just do that for the next game, too. Story and characters just haven't grabbed me in the same way is GF1 and 2. I'll try to finish the series before the end of the year. I don't reckon that I have much left in GF4, maybe a few more hours.

When it comes to my PSVITA, I found my 4GB memory card, so I'm using that to play Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair. I liked the first one well enough, so why not? Monokuma alone makes these games worthwhile.

• incline incline x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Strange Fellow Kalinite Sympathiser Patron

Strange Fellow
    Great game, but very uneven.
    Mild bug level spoilers (open)
    I actually think the bug level is the strongest of the lot. It's odd at first because up to that point you think you're playing a pure horror adventure game, and then suddenly you've got this silly sci-fi comic book pastiche with body horror elements and it throws the mood out of whack for a while. But this is also when you start to connect the dots and get a sense of the bigger picture and how the vignettes are connected, which for me was the high point of the game. It's also every bit as horrifying as what comes before, just in a different way. Shame about what comes after.

Can't really think of a similar game, except maybe I Have No Mouth, and even then it's a different thing. Honestly, Ps:T might be the closest.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. TheImplodingVoice Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

TheImplodingVoice
    Fuck off. Don't compare this shit to Elex.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Ludwig von Eisenthal Arbiter

Ludwig von Eisenthal
    Ultima VII on my Android tablet, thanks to MagicDosbox (a fantastic app, fully worth the price). Perfectly playable. I'm actually surprised how well touchscreen controls work with this game.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Catacombs Cipher Patron

Catacombs
    Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The game is OK. One benefit is its cross-platform ability, specifically people can play it on their phones against people on the computer.

I played with five people. It was fun the first couple of games, and we were on voice chat. After a while, it got kind of boring, and people who are not good at lying on voice chat were easily singled out. The game is probably better with text-only chat for discussion and our group of five joining with another group of five. We might try that next week.

For $5.99, the price is fair for an easy-to-setup party game for normies.

^ Top  
  25. Strange Fellow Kalinite Sympathiser Patron

Strange Fellow
    Finishing up Trinity. Love the Alice in Wonderland motif and the story/writing in general, don't love the combination of limited inventory space and locations with strict time limits that close off when you leave. Some puzzles are really clever (I especially liked everything to do with the sundial), but the amount of savescum-related busywork I'm having to go through puts a damper on the experience.

Edit: Finished it. The final area was very cool. Good game all in all, despite the annoyances.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.