Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Tancred

Learned
HansDampf it threw me for a loop way back then. When I replayed it, I realised the game puts a lot of subtle hints in the dialogue about that and a few other things like:

• never meeting Rock Cats in the game and even the village doctor saying he's never heard of them attacking people but Kalas claims this is why the player can't remember anything
  • Xelha saying she met Kalas in Moonguile Forest when as far as both the player and Kalas know, they met her in Cebelrai just outside Moonguile Forest
  • Kalas is contemplating things and recites Xelha's prayer, and she hears and comments 'you remembered! that's my nation's prayer'; hinting that she isn't from the five islands
  • the slightly creepy dialogue from the NPC who will eventually be revealed as the true villain of the game, hinting that something isn't right here
  • and if the player checks the inventory after a certain event, he'll realise the important macguffin has been lost much earlier than the characters realise and put 2+2 together
Motoi Sakuraba did the OST, it's awesome, even if I heard True Mirror so much that it started getting annoying. It's nice standing around in some places and letting the themes play out as well, really adds to the atmosphere of the pre-rendered backgrounds. Every location has it's own distinct feel and identity. This one almost makes it worth getting lost in the Duhr Labyrinth.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fuck off. Don't compare this shit to Elex.

Ways that Rage 2 is like ELEX:

1. Open world game, free to explore at will

2. Game is post-apocalyptic and dystopian in nature

3. Game features wide variety of creatures and mutants to battle

4. Game features several factions to work with or work against, all with their own interests

5. Game features a fairly rudimentary character skill system with perks, all upgradeable using items found in-game

6. Game is generally action-based, but has enough RPG-like aspects to keep it interdasting

Shall I continue?
rage 2 is absolutely shit with essentially zero redeeming qualities besides having fairly decent shooting mechanics

Having decent shooting mechanics isn't a good enough reason to play a FPS?
Is having enough stealth mechanics a reason to play Assassin's Creed? Shooting in this game is really fun, but this is a game; if it were just a shooter, like doom(there really isn't a story there. they were like " ok ok there's this gun, there are these enemies, idk go kill them?") i'd play it; because it'd be just shooting, no story, no essential characters or quests, but since this game tries to do more and fails, I say it is not worth £39.99 at all(but hey, I think it is on gamepass huh?)

So you're saying that the rest of the game isn't on the level of the shooting mechanics?

Maz

Literate
Fuck off. Don't compare this shit to Elex.

Ways that Rage 2 is like ELEX:

1. Open world game, free to explore at will

2. Game is post-apocalyptic and dystopian in nature

3. Game features wide variety of creatures and mutants to battle

4. Game features several factions to work with or work against, all with their own interests

5. Game features a fairly rudimentary character skill system with perks, all upgradeable using items found in-game

6. Game is generally action-based, but has enough RPG-like aspects to keep it interdasting

Shall I continue?
rage 2 is absolutely shit with essentially zero redeeming qualities besides having fairly decent shooting mechanics

Having decent shooting mechanics isn't a good enough reason to play a FPS?
Is having enough stealth mechanics a reason to play Assassin's Creed? Shooting in this game is really fun, but this is a game; if it were just a shooter, like doom(there really isn't a story there. they were like " ok ok there's this gun, there are these enemies, idk go kill them?") i'd play it; because it'd be just shooting, no story, no essential characters or quests, but since this game tries to do more and fails, I say it is not worth £39.99 at all(but hey, I think it is on gamepass huh?)

So you're saying that the rest of the game isn't on the level of the shooting mechanics?
No it really isn't

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Just finished Reventure. What starts out as a pixel platformer where you're the Hero trying to save The Princess from the Dark Lord quickly turns into something else as the game dares you to try to find all 100 endings to the game.

The main gimmick of the game is that the more items the Hero carries, the shorter his jumps become, which thereby limits freedom of movement. (One of the endings involves picking up too many things BTW.) This quickly becomes a literal ball and chain around the game, as certain 'runs' for endings require combinations of two (or more) items, and eventually the player has to plan a needlessly complex route through the game world to get the more elusive endings.

But that's late-game worries, the start of the game is more care-free and open. The absolute high-point of the game is the writing and humor, the devs not only had to come up with 100 different endings, but write justifications to annul each one so that the adventure can continue. Let's just say this adventure takes a little longer than most people expect (in-world time, in real time I beat the game in 7.5 hours). The humor and sillyness of the writing goes a long way establishing a positive vibe for this game.

A notable feature is that the game tracks how many endings you've completed, then tells you how many other Reventure-players had gotten as far as you had. This proved interesting as there is a considerable drop-off once you get to around 30 endings found, and it gets worse until the very end. How many Reventure-players had reached the end? ~5.68% (the number seemed to change slightly from game to game). That's a low number... but then again the novelty starts wearing off around mid-game and the late-game is frankly just annoying. What bothered me about this is the fact that the game uses telemetry in the first place, I don't think it belongs in a game unless absolutely necessary, which is almost never.

There's an in-built hint system of sorts. Hint-scrolls can be found which will unlock a hint for an undiscovered ending. Two further items are later made available after the player unlocks a set number of endings, a compass that points the player towards the 'scene' of the ending, and then the map will show where the scene is. The problems with this are several: The map is merely a silhouette of a part of the gameworld, when a full-blown map would be FAR MORE useful. So if an ending is someplace underground, it is completely up to the player to find the way there. Another problem is that many of the endings are centered on the Hero itself, for which both aide-items become useless. Ending #47 only has the clue to "end yourself", and while many endings require the death of the Hero, this one goes way beyond that. (The answer to this one actually lies in the Main Menu. Use the cursor-keys and not the mouse to navigate it.)

What this game essentially boils down to is a playing style that infuriates me: Unlocking stuff to progress. I want to say that the Reventure-devs know that this is not a viable long-term strategy for a game, but by the time I unlocked the last few endings I had simply had enough, but since I was so close I wanted to see what the final ending was like... and then it dumps a veritable shopping list of "post-game content" for me to deal with. But at least some of the stuff that unlocks was neat: The Hero changes appearance numerous times throughout the game, and soon a Wardrobe is unlocked permitting the player to change the Hero's appearance... and then to change the Hero's name... and then to change the Princess's name, and finally the Dark Lord's name. I quickly changed his name to DarkUnderlord to make the game's trolling feel more genuine.

As I got the game for $3 during a sale, I can't say I feel ripped off, but I feel relieved that I beat it, because I know I'll never play it again. If you need a timewaster and like platformers you can't go wrong with picking up this one for a sale, but if you dislike indie pixel-games then there's no loss in skipping it either.

A short spoiler-lite guide to help people along:

# If an item 'interacts' with people, try using it on everyone you meet. The sword "interacts" with people, for example...

# The shield, however, does not. Find enemies that will attack you and approach them while holding it.

# There's an opening in the shopkeeper's ceiling, use the Clawhook to get up there. Use the item you find on each of the three cannons in the game.

# There are many places to drop off a princess.

# Two useful mechanics to know are the 'cliffhanger jump' and the 'minion stack'. The former is the fact that you can jump in the few fractions of the second you fall off a platform, essentially allowing the player to jump upwards past a block. The second is the fact that a minion's head can function as a makeshift step-ladder. You will need to learn both to complete the game.

# To make it easier to travel around the land, I'm gonna spoil ending #72 right away: Take the princess to the item-sacrificing altar. The resulting world-change is just too beneficial to be ignored for most of the game.

# One of the most important (and most annoying) rooms in the game is called 'The Pit'. It's designed to funnel the player into a trap where he gets swarmed by minions. But worse than that, it's a natural chokepoint for late-game content, meaning you'll have to cross this room far more often than you'd like. Best get used to it straight away (and find the secret passage that doubles as a short-cut to your house).

downwardspiral

Learned
Mostly playing rimworld with 3xx mods recently.
I am sad I play this game too late, it is very good.
Have a great time.
It is hard to believe how many weird mods there are for this game.

It overlapping with many other games I like to play.

Like evil genius, I am running a slave drug farm in rimworld and the relatives of the my slaves attack my base to free them, great time.
I can install weird organ on my slave and exploit them. I can do really evil things to them, my refrigerator are full of meat hook that filled with mutilated bodies.
That secret refrigerator space is hide behind a door and have my red beret guards watching it routinely with guard mods just for the larping.
I also larp as owner of the hotel from the snuff movie "hostel", those guest, they pay good money to visit and sleep on my royal bed with great ocean view...
They don't know what is waiting for them. I kidnap them and force them to fight in an arena for VIP to watch. The loser will be mutilated and turned into a fine meal for VIPs.

Like tactical squad games, has more item management than XCOM with combat extended. Cover fire, maneuver team and fire support team,
suppression fire also mounting. So I have another special unit that is wearing white beret who rides warg and using different melee weapon and hand guns.
I can drop grenade and attack a structure to open a hole in enemy defense, there is siege, there is attacking there is defense there is traveling there is food management during travelling.

With toilet and psychology mods, it can be played like sims.

Then there is also zombie mods, the most fun I have recently from a zombie game.
And then there is also this FLT style mod which I have't touched yet.

I can't wait for the Z layer mod to be compatible with most of the mods I use. It will be a great game.
The only thing I want to complain is the lack of multi threading support from officials.
The game like DF, run into TPS issue in mid to late game.
I want to run a large chicken farm but can't because 200 chickens are just too taxing for my PC.

Last edited:

The Decline

Arcane
I abandoned my first playthrough of Kingmaker because I tanked my barony. I also forgot to playthrough Varnhold's Lot before getting too far in the story. So I deleted all my saves, completed Varnhold's Lot, and am now back in chapter one with a reworked main character and a merc addition. I have a feeling this run will be better than the first.

The Decline

Arcane
am now back in chapter one with a reworked main character and a merc addition. I have a feeling this run will be better than the first.
What's your build?

Just ones I read about in a guide.

Str Eldritch Scion with some Dragon Disciple mixed in. Not trying to min max, just want a comfy build that seems cool to me. My first one was a straight Dex Eldritch Scion. It was fine, but I decided to mix it up a bit with the new start.

The merc is a Sylvan Sorcerer who I'm RPing as my main's old mentor.

Maz

Literate
Finished Katana Zero for 3rd time; I have a lot to say about this game.
Gameplay is cool, it may get boring to you since it is literally You get shot one time you die type of game, there are some decent mechanics like evading the bullet, slowing the time; needless to say you need strategies on some levels but it's not complicated at all. Gameplay can get fast sometimes, like you don't know what you're doing and just mashing your stick, but these moments are not so common(maybe they are and my play style doesn't represent them). The last thing about gameplay is, your weapon is a sword, also you can pick and throw things at enemies; enemies also die by being hit one time, but there are exceptions(Armored enemies and bosses); Spoiler for the story
Unfortunately, the most fun boss fight, is the hidden one; you can find how to do it by searching "psychiatrist bossfight" he has some phases, and the fight is really fun
. More about the story,(I'm not gonna tell the story anyway), I can say it's a bit of a cliche(as I don't usually dig games that are trying to say "War is bad, it harms people for eternity", because I already know it's bad, so I don't need a story that in its very core, has a moral lesson; I'm not supposedly talking about this game) but it is really good for a game like this. There's a drug that you take, and it predicts the possible futures(your gameplay), you run the level, say you die in possible future 1; so you go back, and try another future, where you clear the level, possible future 2; so you rewatch that future(in a tape, not unlike Hotline Miami as there are many HM influences in this game), if it's acceptable, you go with a "that should do it" and done; level passed. There are several endings in this game, and they don't require much of a work, it's really a "choose the ending at the ending" kind of thing that you had in games like GTA V. But I really liked the idea of predicting the future as an explanation for life and death in this game. There are several theories on this game, about characters and etc. fun to read, but it doesn't really matter because the game is not that deep of story and characters; it may seem like it, but it's not. You get to play as zero, the protagonist of this game; but also you would have some moments as a second character who's only playable for some levels. Back to gameplay, boss fights are entertaining, but it really isn't much different to the rest of the game. Soundtracks are cool, I myself like "you will never know". I'd say, this game is worth wasting time, but just one time. As i said, your weapon is a sword, but there are several swords in gameplay, some require ending, and because this game's not so much replay worthy, I'd say those are wastes of time(and they don't really make a huge difference in your gameplay). If you liked Hotline Miami, you are going to like this game, less gory, more stylish, some similar strategies that you can't always rush to kill everyone in the level, some good soundtracks, but that's it. This game is ok as its bests.

overly excitable young man

Katana Zero was fun.
Didn't even care that the story isn't finished.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Neverwinter Night Diamond Edition, only played the second one before.

I heard a lot of shit being said about the original campaign and i pretty much confirmed it for myself. This campaign is filled with hordes of trashmobs, i am pretty sure not even this wailing plague killed as many people as i did so far.
The first proper dungeon as i see it(The prison) wasn't that fun to traverse, there was a lot optional rooms with locked or even sometimes trapped chests filled with 11 gold pieces.
Voice acting is pretty good though, all these ambient voices and noise succeeds in selling me the fact that i am inside a plague afflicted city.
Will propably go straight into the expansion campaigns rather than continue this one.

Maz

Literate
Ok ok, just finished Hotline Miami 2 in hardmode. I have a lot to say; first of all the story. HM's sarcasm, the way it mocks almost everything is very cool, the story itself is not that strong but I'm gonna say it really closed the thing. For those of you who don't know, this game is a sequel, and a prequel, and also happens in the events of HM1; this time, you are not just Jacket, but you play as almost everyone you wanted to. Masks are less, but I have to say better worked, and instead of a large number of masks, you get characters, and they have some variations to play soooo you won't get bored. The gameplay, is dumbed down. HM1 was really harder than this, their reaction frame was really short, but HM2 literally makes you play with no strategy. It has a longer gameplay, a better story in my opinion, and the only negative point is the gameplay. Again, there's a fine amount of gore there, gameplay is fun but, it's really dumbed down. It's slower, more based on weapons/masks instead of a fine strategy. Now I have to say, soundtracks are amazing; just check out In the Face of Evil, or Fahkeet, cool stuff. The hardmode, is not any hardmode. It changes the level, adds more enemies and fat guys(which are a pain to kill) darkens the game and creates something similar to what you've seen in HL1, but still not that cool. Achievements, are worth it imo. I mean i enjoyed getting them? idk. You remember the hidden masks in HL1? those are gone, no hidden character or masks; with this being said, there ae still some secrets(like a secret level) but, y'know, not really a secret. That's cool story + nice st's + cool gameplay.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
After more than 100 hours, I finally beat D:OS 1. Overall, I'd give it a 3/5, but I have a lot of gripes with it.

What I liked:
  • Graphics looked great. It was one of the best-looking, modern cRPGs I've played in a while.
  • This playthrough solidified my preference for turn-based combat.
What I disliked:
  • The writing was too whimsical and goofy for my taste.
  • The story. I lost interest about two-thirds of the way through when we learned:
    everything is tied to Zandalor cucking Icara with Leandra.
  • The puzzles. Fuck me. Pixel hunting for one or two is bad, but for most of them? I had to alt-tab a lot for a solution.
  • Item management and inventory felt clunky, mostly when I'm transferring items between characters. "Latest Added" is burned into my retinas.
  • I felt none of my weapons mattered by the end game. I crafted and blacksmithed the shit out of them, but felt they didn't do as well as magic.
  • Me learning about several core functions so late in the game. An example was not finding out until reading through the wiki that I needed four skill points to learn Master skills. Each time I leveled up, I only got three and thought I had to hit a certain level before I could learn Master skills. This was crucial for my mage. Instead, I just spread the three points across all schools. My mistake fucked me over because when I went into the final three encounters, with nothing but Novice and Adept spells, I wanted to kms. Luckily, I hoarded plenty of Master scrolls that helped. But, still.
Overall, I'm glad I played it. I have D:OS 2 downloaded and will give it a try. This time, I've done some more pre-game research on party balance and ability and skill points. My only worry are the idiotic puzzles from the first one. I read they're still there, but I'll try not to feel bad about looking up solutions.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm mixing a bit of everything.

Playing Slime Rancher when I just want to chill. Feeding slimes and collecting their poop is surprisingly relaxing.

In Danganronpa 2, I solved the second class trial. These games have a batshit crazy premise. Some characters, like Hiyoko are both annoying and funny at the same time. Monokuma is just as crazy as ever. My biggest complaint would be some of the mini games that I don't really like.

Booth is a DRM free game that came with one of the monthly Humble bundles. This is also fairly relaxing. While the gameplay isn't much to write home about, I want to know how the game ends.

In Yakuza 5, I'm playing as the second character of the game. Helping people, and hunting in a mountain village. I'm not moving on until I have done everything that I can, but I still can't wait for Akiyama's chapter. He has the most fun fighting style.

MurkrLurkr

Learned
Nature of my job as a backwater village teacher living in a city requires me to take long bus trips... I'm talking 2h in one direction plus 2 to successfully complete my dreary odyssey. Hence my overreliance on mobile phone. Good tablet exceeds my wage, and I'm not overly keen on carrying anything too expensive on my pilgrimage to a place behind God's feet, where someone can "accidentally" lose their belongings at the hands of gypsy thieves... Believe me it happened to yours truly.. Perks of living in Eastern Europe. Anyways, after listening podcasts, audiobooks and depressive black metal I decided it was high time to try some mobile games.. Since I'm someone who grew up in the late 90s and early 2000s (my favorite games being Baldur's Gate 1, not it's overly compressed sequel, and Morrowind which I installed on every rig that I had) my favorite genre of games is C(lassic)RPGs.. Easy to lose oneself to, perfect escapists utopia. But time is a luxury that this, now middle aged man does not have in abundance, so I have to rely on 4 hour bus rides to satiate that gaming thirst. Last year I discovered prolific world of Visual novels, again motivated by necessity to juggle various roles that life requires you to take... After a long workday (dealing with elementary school kids can be fun but also draining), cooking meals for a couple of days so you don't have to do it daily (gotta eat those beans and stuffed peppers) and trying to be a good parent and sacrifice some portion of my energy bar to my son and simping assband to my wife, it goes without saying that I'm spent.. All that is left for me at the end of the day is horizontal position and something to lull me to sleep. That's when I discovered Nitro+ VNs and fallen in love with them.. Starting with Kikokugai Cyber Slayer, moving revenge story about forbidden love placed in cyberpunk world with deep transhumanist questions about nature of what really constitutes being a human, through Saya no Uta which doesn't need much introduction, Zanmataisei Demonbane, freaky mixture of mecha and lovecraftian ethos to Lamento, ~beyond the void~ boy's (cat's) love story full of lush lore which would be one of the best things under the sugar moon if someone could adapt it as an Elder Scrolls mod as it takes place in a country which is irresistibly reminiscent of Elsweyr and it's khajiit inhabitants... Through VNs I reached the olympian heights of Hentai paradis! ... and hadean depths of my soul. But about that a little later... Let's get back to mobile gaming.

While I lurked on this site couple of years ago someone recommended mobile RPG "Exiled kingdoms" and I was instantly hooked. It was a great little gem of a game made by a single dev, that I can recommend but be aware of, from my perspective, irritating decision to not be able to save in game's many dungeons when playing on medium difficulty and above, which artificially ups the difficulty because it transforms the exploration of an open world map and it's nooks and crannies to battle for cash so you can buy sackful of healing potions (my priest companion Hirge couldn't help alleviate the trouble) to be able to delve deeper into the dungeon because the moment you leave the map and sleep (you can only sleep in inns of major cities which are quite distant from each other) to replenish your health, mthrfckn enemies respawn. So I quit after reaching lvl 15 which is, according to a comprehensive game wiki, enough for endgame. I was so broke that I started selling my hard-earned equipment from my back just to be able to continue questing. If you decide to buy it, it's dirtcheap on play store and allows you to play for free for around 30 hours limiting you to warrior and rogue classes, and some starting areas of the world map.. enough for you to decide if it's something that will satisfy your refined taste in games average codexian denizen, but play on easy is my recommendation friend...

After Exiled kingdoms I dabbled in cultured games such as text based "Corruption of Champions", which started my downward spiral to depravity... I will never forget one first aid seminar which was held at my school... It was pretty boring, and something that you went through countless times before, so I was deep in the forests of Mareth, analysing colons of a couple of kitsune with my bizarre looking dickus (consequence of excessive intravenous administration of Gro+), when my real-life, not so remarkable, started secreting precum, staining my pantsu.. In that exact moment the lecturer called me to demonstrate resuscitation measures.. I don't think that I need to describe how I felt while my leaking yurt was visible to all my colleagues, but there and then I unmistakably understood why some contents are not recommended for viewing on work.. Pretending not to notice anything, I completed the task flawlessly and really felt like corrupted champion. One time I ejaculated just by reading about being violated by a pack of desert demons etc. The level of writing is really good and vivid for a pornographic fantasy... But enough about that. Other mobile ports of H games I can heartily recommend and which kept me company on my gloomy journeys inland are "Seeds of Chaos", "Tales of Androgyny" (after which I started to watch shemail porn so NoSafeForLife tag for some of you, I don't mind anymore), and I've recently finished "Long Live the Princess", one of the best visual novel/adventure hybrids I played. Beautifully rendered story, told with a nice pinch of a quirky humor, which even my prudish wife found interesting, with a deep lore inspired by celtic mythology and varied gameplay to break the monotony of too much reading...

After VNs and HRPGs I became interested again in Japoo culture, so I rewatched some of my favorite childhood anime movies and Kurosawa's filmography, read about native beliefs and mythology... I realized that while growing up I had missed console craze (during the late 90s when situation on wartorn Balkans was calming down, my cousin, who at the times lived in Germany, brought us Nintendo 64, but except GoldenEye, Super Mario and Tekken we didn't play much else).. The closest thing to JRPG I played was Anachronox, so lately I decided to rectify that by installing DraStic, Nintendo DS Emulator, on my android phone with 6.5 screen. My game of choice was "Radiant Historia" and I'm having a blast playing it. UI is perfect for small screens and the story gripped me with super fun timeline hopping.. When you're stuck in one version of history, you can time travel to alternate one where you'll untie the story progression knot of the other and vice versa, and visiting the same locations have never been so much fun cos you're constantly unlocking new secrets, quests and dialogues.. Fighting is also pretty interesting, because it's happening on the 3x3 field and your band have various combat and magic moves at their disposal to affect the layout of players on the board etc. The more enemies you group in one field, bigger the damage they sustain, some enemies are immune to some kinds of attacks but more vulnerable to others, some are completely immovable on the battlefield so there's enough room for strategizing... I'm still in the early game. I managed to enter Granorg with the help of satyrs, traveling entertainers, but I had to learn sword dancing technique in another timeline to impress border guards. I'm also loving the music which gives me Basil Poledouris's Conan vibes.. All in all I'm thinking that my trips to the gypsy infested swamplands of my country's hinterland will become more colorful.. But I'll never stop being that teacher who is caressing pupil's smart little heads with one hand while trying to suck out bowels of a forest nymph through her assvent with another. And that's how I'm wasting my time, and yours by the look of this post and amount of unnecessary drivel I spat out...

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nature of my job as a backwater village teacher living in a city requires me to take long bus trips... I'm talking 2h in one direction plus 2 to successfully complete my dreary odyssey. Hence my overreliance on mobile phone. Good tablet exceeds my wage, and I'm not overly keen on carrying anything too expensive on my pilgrimage to a place behind God's feet, where someone can "accidentally" lose their belongings at the hands of gypsy thieves... Believe me it happened to yours truly.. Perks of living in Eastern Europe. Anyways, after listening podcasts, audiobooks and depressive black metal I decided it was high time to try some mobile games.. Since I'm someone who grew up in the late 90s and early 2000s (my favorite games being Baldur's Gate 1, not it's overly compressed sequel, and Morrowind which I installed on every rig that I had) my favorite genre of games is C(lassic)RPGs.. Easy to lose oneself to, perfect escapists utopia. But time is a luxury that this, now middle aged man does not have in abundance, so I have to rely on 4 hour bus rides to satiate that gaming thirst. Last year I discovered prolific world of Visual novels, again motivated by necessity to juggle various roles that life requires you to take... After a long workday (dealing with elementary school kids can be fun but also draining), cooking meals for a couple of days so you don't have to do it daily (gotta eat those beans and stuffed peppers) and trying to be a good parent and sacrifice some portion of my energy bar to my son and simping assband to my wife, it goes without saying that I'm spent.. All that is left for me at the end of the day is horizontal position and something to lull me to sleep. That's when I discovered Nitro+ VNs and fallen in love with them.. Starting with Kikokugai Cyber Slayer, moving revenge story about forbidden love placed in cyberpunk world with deep transhumanist questions about nature of what really constitutes being a human, through Saya no Uta which doesn't need much introduction, Zanmataisei Demonbane, freaky mixture of mecha and lovecraftian ethos to Lamento, ~beyond the void~ boy's (cat's) love story full of lush lore which would be one of the best things under the sugar moon if someone could adapt it as an Elder Scrolls mod as it takes place in a country which is irresistibly reminiscent of Elsweyr and it's khajiit inhabitants... Through VNs I reached the olympian heights of Hentai paradis! ... and hadean depths of my soul. But about that a little later... Let's get back to mobile gaming.

While I lurked on this site couple of years ago someone recommended mobile RPG "Exiled kingdoms" and I was instantly hooked. It was a great little gem of a game made by a single dev, that I can recommend but be aware of, from my perspective, irritating decision to not be able to save in game's many dungeons when playing on medium difficulty and above, which artificially ups the difficulty because it transforms the exploration of an open world map and it's nooks and crannies to battle for cash so you can buy sackful of healing potions (my priest companion Hirge couldn't help alleviate the trouble) to be able to delve deeper into the dungeon because the moment you leave the map and sleep (you can only sleep in inns of major cities which are quite distant from each other) to replenish your health, mthrfckn enemies respawn. So I quit after reaching lvl 15 which is, according to a comprehensive game wiki, enough for endgame. I was so broke that I started selling my hard-earned equipment from my back just to be able to continue questing. If you decide to buy it, it's dirtcheap on play store and allows you to play for free for around 30 hours limiting you to warrior and rogue classes, and some starting areas of the world map.. enough for you to decide if it's something that will satisfy your refined taste in games average codexian denizen, but play on easy is my recommendation friend...

After Exiled kingdoms I dabbled in cultured games such as text based "Corruption of Champions", which started my downward spiral to depravity... I will never forget one first aid seminar which was held at my school... It was pretty boring, and something that you went through countless times before, so I was deep in the forests of Mareth, analysing colons of a couple of kitsune with my bizarre looking dickus (consequence of excessive intravenous administration of Gro+), when my real-life, not so remarkable, started secreting precum, staining my pantsu.. In that exact moment the lecturer called me to demonstrate resuscitation measures.. I don't think that I need to describe how I felt while my leaking yurt was visible to all my colleagues, but there and then I unmistakably understood why some contents are not recommended for viewing on work.. Pretending not to notice anything, I completed the task flawlessly and really felt like corrupted champion. One time I ejaculated just by reading about being violated by a pack of desert demons etc. The level of writing is really good and vivid for a pornographic fantasy... But enough about that. Other mobile ports of H games I can heartily recommend and which kept me company on my gloomy journeys inland are "Seeds of Chaos", "Tales of Androgyny" (after which I started to watch shemail porn so NoSafeForLife tag for some of you, I don't mind anymore), and I've recently finished "Long Live the Princess", one of the best visual novel/adventure hybrids I played. Beautifully rendered story, told with a nice pinch of a quirky humor, which even my prudish wife found interesting, with a deep lore inspired by celtic mythology and varied gameplay to break the monotony of too much reading...

After VNs and HRPGs I became interested again in Japoo culture, so I rewatched some of my favorite childhood anime movies and Kurosawa's filmography, read about native beliefs and mythology... I realized that while growing up I had missed console craze (during the late 90s when situation on wartorn Balkans was calming down, my cousin, who at the times lived in Germany, brought us Nintendo 64, but except GoldenEye, Super Mario and Tekken we didn't play much else).. The closest thing to JRPG I played was Anachronox, so lately I decided to rectify that by installing DraStic, Nintendo DS Emulator, on my android phone with 6.5 screen. My game of choice was "Radiant Historia" and I'm having a blast playing it. UI is perfect for small screens and the story gripped me with super fun timeline hopping.. When you're stuck in one version of history, you can time travel to alternate one where you'll untie the story progression knot of the other and vice versa, and visiting the same locations have never been so much fun cos you're constantly unlocking new secrets, quests and dialogues.. Fighting is also pretty interesting, because it's happening on the 3x3 field and your band have various combat and magic moves at their disposal to affect the layout of players on the board etc. The more enemies you group in one field, bigger the damage they sustain, some enemies are immune to some kinds of attacks but more vulnerable to others, some are completely immovable on the battlefield so there's enough room for strategizing... I'm still in the early game. I managed to enter Granorg with the help of satyrs, traveling entertainers, but I had to learn sword dancing technique in another timeline to impress border guards. I'm also loving the music which gives me Basil Poledouris's Conan vibes.. All in all I'm thinking that my trips to the gypsy infested swamplands of my country's hinterland will become more colorful.. But I'll never stop being that teacher who is caressing pupil's smart little heads with one hand while trying to suck out bowels of a forest nymph through her assvent with another. And that's how I'm wasting my time, and yours by the look of this post and amount of unnecessary drivel I spat out...
What you need is Tales of illyria.

MurkrLurkr

Learned
. I'm talking 2h in one direction plus 2 to successfully complete my dreary odyssey. Hence my overreliance on mobile phone.
Have you considered reading books instead?

Of course.. I even bought some just for that occasion (I'm talking hardcover, because I spoiled my eyes by staring at smartphone screen), but I wanted to get back into gaming since I fasted for a couple of years...

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Have you considered reading books instead?

Of course.. I even bought some just for that occasion (I'm talking hardcover, because I spoiled my eyes by staring at smartphone screen), but I wanted to get back into gaming since I fasted for a couple of years...[/QUOTE]
I recommend getting a PSP/VITA/DS/3DS. They shouldn't be overly expensive and are fairly (very) easy to hack. They also have actual buttons.

MurkrLurkr

Learned
I recommend getting a PSP/VITA/DS/3DS. They shouldn't be overly expensive and are fairly (very) easy to hack. They also have actual buttons.

I don’t bother too much with other people’s opinions but I’m a little scared of what a thirty-five-year-old bearded figure with a console in hand would look like :)

Puukko

Arcane
Grabbed Mortal Shell from sale and I'm having a really good time with it. It's a Soulslike with plenty to set it apart. The most prominent mechanic is hardening, which you can do every few seconds to absorb damage and stagger enemies back when they hit you. You can (and should) do it in motion as well as mid-swing to create more windows to deal damage. This makes the combat more reactive compared to Souls' dodge-attack-dodge style, where you weave in both hardening and dodging for a pretty aggressive style of combat. To compensate for the increase in defensiveness, enemies hit hard and I would say exploration and normal enemies in this are a notch above Souls in difficulty. The very first shitty undead you encounter can hit you for about a third of your HP and you'll be moving around very carefully and kiting stronger enemies to you and away from their buddies. To add to this, you don't even know what items do when you first get them, you have to use them to learn their effects and become more proficient in using them.

Customization comes in the form of Shells which are armor(ed corpses) you inhabit and which come with different stats and talents. You use two currencies to upgrade the Shells, one of which works exactly like souls, while the other is kept on death but is tied to the Shell. Weapons are few, but they're all unique with skills tied to them that you have to unlock with specific items. You earn these weapons by fighting a boss who wields the weapon in question. He serves as an equal humanoid boss who can do the same things as you do, so it's more like a duel.

Now all of this has to come with a downside, and that seems to be the length. HLTB says it takes about 10 hours to complete, but I have to say I'd only believe that for a NG+ run. I am currently just short of 10 hours in and of the four large areas, I've cleared the starting swamp, a few rooms of the temple, maybe about 75% of a third area, and I haven't even been to the crypts, so I'd say I expect the game to take me 20 hours, maybe a bit more. I got the game from sale using my Epic coupon for 14€ and and based on what I've played so far, that was money well spent and I can easily recommend this to anyone looking for more Souls adjacent stuff.

They released a small content update just the other day which added alternate boss music which is instrumental Rotting Christ, while the normal music is by Atrium Carceri, both of which are bands I listen to. I don't think I've played a game which catered to me this closely before.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Crazy Dash sort of works now that I've moved the Accelerator and Brake to the shoulder buttons from the triggers. Apparently it's because Crazy Taxi was designed for analog controls and Sega ported it to digital controls for Steam. Or something. I just got my Awesome score back with 12,600 points. I'm gonna see later if I can still do Crazy scores (over 20,000).

I really wish they'd make these sorts of time attack games again. They were fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom