Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

JDR13

Arcane
setting out to do literally everything because your OCD is too strong, and you simply must do everything, and you absolutely can't stomach not having played the perfect game with the perfect chracter in the perfect 100% completion run™. Do you really exhaust every single dialogue option just because it is there (even if you don't really give a shit) and go through every corner just to make sure you didn't miss everything?
of course, if it's an RPG. I'm trying to do everything i could as long as it helps me with upgrading my character. Any unexplored corner can potentially contain a chest with an item, any unchecked dialogue option can potentially lead to a sidequest. It's not an OCD, it's just a normal thing when you play and RPG.

Except that when you can tell what's what because the markers are different, and you're still doing them all, it is OCD.

madhouse

But how do I know which side quests are going to be good before I play them?
If they seem interesting? If I'm a high level character and somebody asks me to fetch a jug of water I'll just tell them to fuck off. In fact, I will probably do that by default out of principle. Plenty of games hide side quests in dialogue trees. I try to at least LARP a little when playing an RPG. Someone purely out for profit isn't going to ask some peasant about their misfortunes, nor will a character that doesn't like breaking the law be interested in hearing a robbery scheme. Yeah, of course you can powerplay and do everything for the sake of experience and rewards, but how many games actually require you to do even do half of the content not to be underpowered? Very few games have real difficulty that encourages you to explore out of necessity for supplies, experience, gear, etc. To add, survival horror games (which I guess are mostly action games) still stand a head taller than most RPG's when it comes to giving players the initiative to explore things organically, mostly out of hard, genuine necessity, and also at giving exploration more danger. As an example imagine using resources to explore areas with potential loot, but running into danger and having to use your stores of resources, and gaining less loot than what you've already spent getting there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cael

Arcane

DeepOcean

Arcane
Okay, after a long time, I got to finally fully play the two bigger Mankind Divided DLC, the conclusion I got was they are the best levels on Mankind Divided but the base design of Human Revolution and Mankind divided with all its compromises with popamole still hurt the game. So dont expect massive changes in gameplay.

The first one, involves a heist on the Palisade data bank, the DLC is divided on three stages, the streets of Prague, the bank and the place where the servers holding the data are. The Prague section is just more of the Prague gameplay on the original Mankind Divided, going fucking around, exploring places and strangely enough, this area is the best area of the DLC in terms of play space despite being the first one you explore.

The second area, the bank, the bank has 5 levels, with each level getting smaller until reaching the fifth floor. There is a change here, the bank area isnt exactly linear but they are very unimaginative in terms of level design and very, very straightfoward, It doesnt reach the level design crazyness that the Atrium of Talos 1 or Dishonored 1 DLC get, nowhere close , you just sort of go up, sneaking around some corridors until reaching the fifth floor on a very predictable stealth gameplay. There is a clear ramp up on difficulty from the previous area but I have to say, that despite the game hyping the security on the bank, nothing in there made me sweat and I ghosted the whole thing with ease, in the end, this part felt like any other Deus Ex Mankind Divided level.

The last part, it is more challenging with the nature of the challenge changing to automated security but the designers were so unconfident of the skills of the players that they just placed a giant security room right next to the entrance of the room where you can just shut down pretty much all security making the whole area pointless. You kinda place your security station nearby your most protected area not just at the entrance with no security close. There is a final section taht is just some popamole jumping section with some basic puzzles and that is the end.

The first DLC just ends on an anticlimatic way where you just make some lame ass discoveries for a certain character, the end, there was no story climax, gameplay challenge progression, and nothing you didnt see on Mankind Divided a thousand times, it was a very meh experience. Yes, it was better in terms of level design than something like Golum city on the original game but the lack of some climatic confrontation with interesting story developments really made everything looking meh.

A criminal past, the second DLC is much, much better and a massive improvement in terms of level design from the base game. I always thought the level design of both Human Revolution and Mankind Divided very mediocre (exception of Prague and hub exploration that is indeed fun), it isnt the case here and it is the first level on Mankind Divided that gets DeepOcean's seal of approval in terms of level design. You have to escape a prison and it is a huge prison divided on three different buildings with open areas between. It is here, where, finally the Mankind Divided level design team left their crutch of trying to shoehorn the player into a direction by making the whole level flow on that direction even when that didnt make sense that they did with Golum city for example.

They guide you through objectives as usual but the whole place looks like a real building that could exist instead of a stealth gamey arena like pretty much most levels on Human Revolution and Mankind Divided felt. They also made something really interesting, you can access the whole building after a certain point and as the mission progress, there are changes on the mission with whole areas changing. It isnt all day where you get levels on prisons and it was very interesting as the prison changes with the events unfolding on the DLC. I mean, usually, most designers when they design a story change, they do it on the end of the level where you play 90% of the level with no changes on the level itself but here, changes on story also affect gameplay areas.

This is the best content the team of Mankind Divided did, however, it is not without its flaws, the game implies a certain decision you do on the beginning will have a major impact on the events but it is an illusion of choice, it only affects your interactions with a certain character later and as usual, the final confrontation is also really, really lacking. If they made the begining decision more impactful and had a more interesting final confrontation, the DLC would really, really with no flaws (besides the semi popamolified Deus Ex Mankind gameplay but I didnt have hopes of they changing that on a DLC).

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Finished Forbidden Siren and started Forbidden Siren 2.

Dobn8vZ.png

Wow, QoL and presentation-wise this game is so much better than the first one it's not even funny. You can now loot enemies, you can set traps, shoot in first person mode, move fast while crouched, use keys and other context-based items without opening a separate menu. The combat is improved - you can now perform some simplistic melee combos and use different weapons with different movesets, NPC AI improved so they aren't just a load and can actually help you. Stealth-based missions aren't a pain in the ass anymore, puzzles make sense and don't require metaknowledge (so far), link navigator now shows hints on how to unlock secondary missions, etc.

This is going to be a smooth ride.

madhouse

Half-Life 2 it really aged badly in terms of gameplay compared to its predecessor....
Both games have some underwhelming guns. Playing it now, and comparing to shooters from that time like FEAR, it really does feel mediocre.

Gamezor

Learned
Still mainly playing blasphemous and 65 percent or so of map explored. Still love it and and plan to finish it. Im glad we are in a 2d metroidvania soulsy golden age. I really like that enemies stay dead until you save and don’t come back just because you go to a new screen. Switch performance improved immensely when I actually turned it off between sessions instead of sleeping.

Perkel

Arcane
Both games have some underwhelming guns. Playing it now, and comparing to shooters from that time like FEAR, it really does feel mediocre.

FEAR is overrated. HL1 aged really well compared to it. Especially Opposing Force which i liked even better than HL1.

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
Eschalon Book 1. It's a pretty neat game. The fact that the game allows you to play as an atheist that's immune to curses and magical healing is quite unique. It was pretty hard at the beginning playing as a warrior and missing nonstop, but now thanks to buffs and weapon enchantments it's pretty tubular hitting everything, even in the darkness. Kind of disappointed though that there are no consequences to killing guards and random people in towns. You can pretty much do all the quests in a place then kill most NPCs that aren't vendors and nobody will care one bit. Anyway, good game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom