Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Been having tons of fun with KCD, even with all it's quite apparent flaws. Almost a 100 hours in now and I don't think I'm even at the halfway through main quest yet, since there's been so much side content to play around with.

I love the way they handle the map in hardcore. You have clear indicators where they want you to go but no handholding regarding getting there. I just wish they had either let you fast travel between towns or designed the quests to be a lot more local. Getting objectives to go get this one thing from the other side of the map and then return it are getting quite old and traveling between towns is such a chore by now.

Utfärd

I just finished Crusader: No Remorse and I loved every minute of it (except, perhaps, the jumping puzzles). Warpig recommended it and he is always right about cool 90s games and movies. It has taken up most of my gaming time these last couple of weeks and I did find it quite hilarious how the evil mastermind destroys Kiev and laments the resources needed for his puppet president to regain popular support. Some timing. Final mission was quite a blast (heh) and really went all-in. Finished it on Loose Cannon, originally I played on No Remorse difficulty but it became untenable around mission 6 or so (quick load: the game).

Not sure what to play now, there's of course the sequel No Regret (Warpig says it's superior) but I also want to try out Neo Scavenger.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The soviet campaign in PG2 sure feels representative of the real deal. Your units are all shit, the germans keep throwing tigers at you everywhere, but somehow you manage to win even though your army is thoroughly wrecked. Prokhorovka was brutal as hell.

Meanwhile the kwan/brit campaign was so pathetically easy it was almost insulting. I didn't break a sweat at any time, and only the final mission had me scrambling a little to get that brilliant victory.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Completed Battle for Esturia, a simple and relatively short party-based rpg you can download for free on itch io https://esturiagames.itch.io/battle-for-esturia
It's overall nice, you can find a bunch of interesting stuff if you decide to explore the map for a bit. Didn't manage to find the necromancer companion in the end.

I also have been trying to get into some roguelikes lately.
It's rare for me to actually complete any of them, usually i have some fun at the start and when get bored before i manage to learn how to avoid stupid deaths. As far as i recall, the only ones i manage to beat are Tales of Maj'Eyal and Caverns of Xaskazien ii and the former some people don't even consider to be a roguelike.

Anyway, i tried Infra Arcana, a lovecraftian-themed one. Interesting character options. Pretty sure i could have avoided at least two of my stupid deaths if i remembered that i have a dynamite and molotov in my inventory.
DoomRL, don't think this one needs introductions. Seems like something more up my valley compared to Infra Arcana. Trying to figure out a working build for my marine.
And Alchemist you can also get on itch io for free https://spellsweaver.itch.io/alchemist. Mentioned already in the roguelike thread, like the music and presentation but i feel like this game shouldn't be a roguelike.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
F8pD2Oy.png

PAMWSsh.png

XVtH5NS.png

uDU08WQ.png

MxN8Tun.png

rqyaojc.png

PqdEa3W.png

g1yyPcH.png

Fallout of Nevada (Extended). I'm having a blast. The interactivity of the world and quest structure are fantastic. Very similar to FO2, but better in some respects. It's fucking vast, I've been playing it for weeks. Most of it is decently translated, but there's some Engrish too (probably the newest extended content). Multiple solutions to quests/obstacles and nicely varied use of most skills, I love that stuff.

JDR13

Arcane
Been having tons of fun with KCD, even with all it's quite apparent flaws. Almost a 100 hours in now and I don't think I'm even at the halfway through main quest yet, since there's been so much side content to play around with.

I love the way they handle the map in hardcore. You have clear indicators where they want you to go but no handholding regarding getting there. I just wish they had either let you fast travel between towns or designed the quests to be a lot more local. Getting objectives to go get this one thing from the other side of the map and then return it are getting quite old and traveling between towns is such a chore by now.

Iirc, there's a mod that let's you tweak the changes to Harcore mode. i.e. allow fast travel, etc.

NerevarineKing

Learned
I guess I'm on another retro FPS kick. I beat Witchaven using BuildGDX and it was pretty mediocre overall with some decent level design in a few places. It's the kind of game you play when you've played most of the better FPS already. The new Quake episode, Dimensions of the Machine, was really fucking great and was better than the base campaign in many ways. Now I'm trying to beat the Hexen expansion, which is basically just more Hexen since it doesn't seem to do much different from the main campaign.

deuxhero

Arcane
Went back and gave Sonic Adventure 2 (GC) another go and almost finished the Dark story. Speed levels are still peak 3D Sonic for the most part (most levels have one or two parts that should have gotten another pass), and the mech levels (except Cosmic Wall, which is near perfect) are OK and just needed another level of polish. I have no idea what the fuck they were thinking with the treasure hunt stages though. They're not fun in the slightest. Controls are fucked, characters handle like like ass, its confusing for the sake of it, and for no reason at all your radar will only work on one of the three treasures at a time (so you need to check the whole level three times). The worst part however is the camera. It works most of the time in the speed and mech levels since the levels are relatively narrow and rarely do much vertical change. Why the GCN port didn't add c-stick controllable camera (your only options are shoulder buttons to rotate or both at once to reset it), I'll never know, but even that would only kinda help with how often it gets caught on walls. It's not like this was an experiment that failed badly either, since Knuckles stages in SA1 functioned mostly the same way and I don't remember them being particularly fun there (haven't played it in nearly as long though). I think this game that only needs a few change to go from a 3/5 to 5/5. Fix up the camera, change some dick move sections in levels (enemies that attack while doors are opening, switch puzzles that have instant death you can't forsee), and replace the treasure hunt levels with literally anything else.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Funny, I actually hate the mech sections and think they don't belong in a Sonic game at all. The treasure hunting wasn't bad but shouldn't have been in their either because it slows down the game play and I GOTTA GO FAST. I wish we'd had Tails racing sections like in SADX instead of the shooting sections.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Speaking of Fallout, is there a level changing/building mod for FNV that lets you start a fresh game and then skip to a higher level? I want to play the Someguy2000 series but it's recommended for a min lvl 20 character yet I don't want to have to play all over again and wait to get to lvl 20. I know NWN has several level building mods like this but I couldn't find something comparable for FNV, at least not on Nexus. Fallout: The Frontier apparently lets you jump to the appropriate lvl (15?) when starting a game but I hear this mod is the encrusted unwiped butthole of the FNV Quest Mod world so I wouldn't touch it with yours but the fact that it auto-levels for you makes me think it is possible at least to skip levels with a mod.

deuxhero

Arcane
I never said they fit, just that they were OK and near being pretty good. They work better for Eggman than Tails though with the focus on destruction and his evil laughter when you do well.

Speaking of Fallout, is there a level changing/building mod for FNV that lets you start a fresh game and then skip to a higher level? I want to play the Someguy2000 series but it's recommended for a min lvl 20 character yet I don't want to have to play all over again and wait to get to lvl 20. I know NWN has several level building mods like this but I couldn't find something comparable for FNV, at least not on Nexus. Fallout: The Frontier apparently lets you jump to the appropriate lvl (15?) when starting a game but I hear this mod is the encrusted unwiped butthole of the FNV Quest Mod world so I wouldn't touch it with yours but the fact that it auto-levels for you makes me think it is possible at least to skip levels with a mod.

Console commands. Just cheat yourself XP, weapon, armor, helmet and caps.

Modron

Arcane
playing drakensang
kind of boring though

:hmmm:
The game declines the further you get into it. If you're not digging it, it's entirely advisable to just jump to The River of Time instead which was a dramatic improvement in all regards from quest design, conversations, area/encounter design, et cetera.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I never said they fit, just that they were OK and near being pretty good. They work better for Eggman than Tails though with the focus on destruction and his evil laughter when you do well.

Console commands. Just cheat yourself XP, weapon, armor, helmet and caps.

Yes, console command XP cheats seem to be the answer. I'll just get a shitload of skill and perk prompts (?) by suddenly leveling to 20 but I'm surprised this hasn't been done in a mod to help simplify it and prevent being overstimulated by 20 levels worth of bells and whistles.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Trying to finish these before moving on to others

Wheel of Time - currently stuck at a boss fight
Sacrifice - maybe half way through but the game is hard

Also dropping in and out of these

Euro Truck Sim 2 - Its relaxing but im very early on
X:BTF - never finished the plot so trying to. Very barebones compared to later instalments but still lot of fun.
F1 2010 - Plan is to finish a season and move on to F1 2011. But now my pedal only does 80% power even when fully depressed. Pulled my hair out wondering why i was 4 sec off the pace until i figured that out.
NFS Pro Street - Looks great in 3D with 3D Vision
Oblivion - Just loitering around, and off to Morrowind when i get bored. Last time i played Morrowind was in 2003.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
getting tired of killing rats, rats, and more rats
I've killed about 250 so far judging by the amount of tails I've collected
One of the ways The River of Time improved upon Drakensang was having relatively few areas that were just saturated with trash enemies and little else. Really only the nature preserve like island area is filled with tons of enemies and even then there were some better placed encounters within it.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
off to Morrowind when i get bored. Last time i played Morrowind was in 2003.
I replayed Morrowind a couple years ago after a ten years hiatus and was pleasantly surprised how well it has stood the test of the time. Tribunal main quest was also better than I remembered.

Modron

Arcane
Nevada really turned up the environmental interaction and made repair shine from adding a crafting system, throwing a significant number of repair checks at you, to fixing generators and building bridges/contraptions with rope/poles/junk. It even gave Survival some benefits outside of avoiding encounters including creating a number of medicines at campfires and finding hidden caches/items throughout Nevada. I never tried the extended version because IIRC there were a number of untranslated lines and it was made by some other modder who threw in everything including the kitchen sink without any regard as to whether or not the additions clashed with the tone/direction of Nevada (seemed like he was trying to turn Fallout 1 into a more Fallout 2 experience).

Nevada was really great it was like returning to the golden age of pc gaming again. Going to play through Archalos and Olympus 2207 and see if one of them can spark that goodness again.

Ivan

Arcane
Quadrilateral Cowboy :4/5:

Definitely the meatiest of Brendon's games thus far, Quadrilateral Cowboy is a thief-like puzzle game with an emphasis on tactile tools the player employs to infiltrate interiors. It slowly adds new tools to your toolbelt and what's neat is its levels focus on the utilization of each tool in more difficult ways. Soon the game presents levels that force you to employ your tools in conjunction, then it adds a time element, all told it does a great job of keeping things fresh through its campaign. As in the previous games, the character work and wolrdbuilding is well done, without forcefeeding or screaming your ear off with any forced narration. There's enough detail, in-game props, environments, and set-pieces to sell you on the characters and the world. The music, mostly licensed, is excellent as well. Minimal sound design but lots of neat touches that go back to the emphasis the game has on tactility.

cons: I did suffer some CTD, and it kinds sucks that you can't save mid-level, though the levels are short once you've mentally "solved" them

Codex Year of the Donut
playing drakensang
kind of boring though

:hmmm:
getting tired of killing rats, rats, and more rats
I've killed about 250 so far judging by the amount of tails I've collected
think I'm going to throw in the towel, it's just so damn boring.

If you wanted to play the most generic fantasy game someone can come up with featuring very uninteresting characters and using very boring combat... yeah, I guess it would scratch that itch.
Ruleset seems fun though, I like the triple attribute dependency for rolls which makes all attributes pretty useful.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm almost done with Ultima Underworld 2. Got all the runes, have basically all equipment that I will use until the end. In general, I found the first game to be much more enjoyable. I don't like the exploration as much, and the level/dungeon design is less to my liking.

After I am done with it, I will fully invest my time in ELEX II, Triangle Strategy, and Tales of Xillia 2. ToX2 is very average, not only by tales standards, but also by JRPG standards, but I'm at the halfway point, and I somewhat like the combat. I really hope to beat the PS3 backlog this year. I will play two more games on the actual console, while the last game will be played on PS3 emulator.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom