Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

The Decline

Arcane
Send help.
A reply was posted elsewhere.
* one third of the reply
I am yet to encounter the worst example of this, sounds concerning.

By the way, i finished the four original episodes of Blood. Chernobog is a bitch.
vGQJ1S2.png

The fourth episode was better than the third one, but still not on the level of the first two.
Only issue i found with NBlood sourceport is Caleb struggling to get out of water. All Blood sourceports i tried seem to have at least some issues.
It was a good experience overall. Movement feels great, setting enemies on fire never gets old and levels have just the right amount of mazeness to them.
It's quite telling how the very first shooty weapon you get is a flair gun that slowly sets people on fire. Like, the priorty was to give player a slasher maniac arsenal rather conventional FPS weapons.
:5/5: burning gargoyles out of:5/5:, would burn them again.
46KIje2.png

^This level was pretty disgusting tho

The original source code was finally released/leaked online a couple weeks ago so we should see more accurate source ports soon.

Culdcept.
Have you ever wanted to play mtg monopoly with the added rng of cards?
There is a lot of depth because the monster/territory/item interaction allows for a lot of options.
Unfortunately completely made useless of because of rng. I lost two times to the tutorial because the asshole kept getting monsters and rolling 6's.
So Rng on top Rng and cheating ai just make this a miserable experience considering a a basic match lasts for 20+ minutes.
How the fuck did this series get popular?
There are many ways to mitigate the random nature of dice rolls, and there are cards that force your opponent to land on them (like Kelpie, Old Willow depending on the version). There are subtleties to the game that aren't apparent in the first few times you play, like using territory in creative ways (jumping with a weak creature that's just next to a heavily defended space you want to capture to weaken it etc). If you keep at it you'll see what I mean.

It's an endearing game. I played it a lot, especially the PS2 version.

flyingjohn

Arcane
There are many ways to mitigate the random nature of dice rolls
Oh i know, i played the ds and saga version before this. In fact, if you liked this game, then play saga for the 360,it is highly recommended.
But ,most of your mitigation of rng is reliant on you actually getting said cards in the right moment, which is another form of rng.

But you are right about the subtleties ,there are so many ways to interact with said systems that it really earns the title mtg monopoly.
But, board and card rng in the same game? Losing on the bigger maps and wasting hours is not fun because of RNG/Cheating AI.

Oh i know, i played the ds and saga version before this. In fact, if you liked this game, then play saga for the 360,it is highly recommended.
But ,most of your mitigation of rng is reliant on you actually getting said cards in the right moment, which is another form of rng.

But you are right about the subtleties ,there are so many ways to interact with said systems that it really earns the title mtg monopoly.
But, board and card rng in the same game? Losing on the bigger maps and wasting hours is not fun because of RNG/Cheating AI.
I did play a little bit of Saga, but then my 360 died on me definitively. Last time I tried it on Xenia it wasn't working. Did they fix it?

flyingjohn

Arcane

I did play a little bit of Saga, but then my 360 died on me definitively. Last time I tried it on Xenia it wasn't working. Did they fix it?
Minus some portrait glitches it works both for vanilla and canary.

Arbiter

Scholar
Unreal: Return to Na Pali. I have never played the expansion before. I also replayed the base game - this was merely my second run, even tough I completed Doom 1 at least a dozen of times and Quake 1 and 2 several times.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Nice, I'll give it another go.
flyingjohn still busted on Xenia. I tried both the default DX12 renderer and the experimental Vulkan one.

Here's what I get (nvidia card):

culdcept16cn9.png
That is really weird? Here is what i get on a AMD card running on Win10:
test.png

Just downloaded xenia master to try it out to see if something changed. Probably something about Windows since I doubt Amd has better drivers when it comes to dx stuff compared to Nvidia.

The Decline

Arcane
Started a new campaign in Terratech after leaving it several months ago. Still have all the mods installed I had before, but something big must have changed because there are now factions among the NPC vehicles and some are now friendly. Also seeing some bases being built by them as well. A lot more interesting than the first time I played. Now I need to rebuild my block collection and get back my flying fortress.

Semiurge

Cipher
Doom II: The Plutonia Experiment

The first level offers a nice challenge, but already in the second I've found a broken door that won't open with the yellow key it requires. I will see what happens if I don't save and load in the level before that point. The level "Mount Pain" from TNT had such an area where a protective suit would become stuck in a floor if you saved and reloaded after its room was reset. These addons seem to have poor quality assurance.

Edit: forgot a certain yellow panel that opens the door :oops:

Last edited:

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm playing Wasteland 3 again since I got all of the DLC in the winter sale. Just started doing the Steeltown quests and I decided to try to resolve everything without deaths (at least so far). But I forgot that I have the Provost in my party and there is no way to stop him from just blasting people, so after making sure to keep this asshole alive so I can see his hidden quest through, I now have to decide whether to backtrack out of my Steeltown progress, kill the Provost myself, or just kill all these workers who really don't seem to deserve it at all.

Currently just frustrated and don't really feel like playing anymore for tonight.

What a retarded oversight.

Last edited:

The first level offers a nice challenge, but already in the second I've found a broken door that won't open with the yellow key it requires. I will see what happens if I don't save and load in the level before that point. The level "Mount Pain" from TNT had such an area where a protective suit would become stuck in a floor if you saved and reloaded after its room was reset. These addons seem to have poor quality assurance.
I don't recall either of those and I've played those levels before a few times each. Might check with a different source port? I'm pretty sure I saved during mount pain because fuck mount pain.

BruceVC

Magister
I just finished ELEX 2 and I had a good time, its lacking in certain areas but overall its a worthwhile PB open-world RPG and it still has the things that are prevalent in PB RPG like Gothic that include joining and working with factions, the mechanics of crafting and enemies on the map that can kill you immediately until you much higher level. So its fun and engaging

I gave it a fuller review on the official thread. I am now seriously considering DA:Inquisition, I have played the first DA but not DA:I

I am going to be selecting and installing mods today, any advice would be appreciated :cool:

Semiurge

Cipher

I don't recall either of those and I've played those levels before a few times each. Might check with a different source port? I'm pretty sure I saved during mount pain because fuck mount pain.

The Plutonia "bug" was my own goof, see the original post.

BruceVC

Magister
any advice would be appreciated :cool:
Don't play it.
I dont want to make a big deal about it because its an aspect of Romance but I am not happy with how the female characters look, so hopefully I can mod that

I find it both sexist and misogynistic that the artists cant create normal and attractive women like in previous DA games. Im not saying they all have to look like a Viconia, Morrigan or Isabella but at least provide some aesthetic value

any advice would be appreciated :cool:
Don't play it.
I dont want to make a big deal about it because its an aspect of Romance but I am not happy with how the female characters look, so hopefully I can mod that

I find it both sexist and misogynistic that the artists cant create normal and attractive women like in previous DA games. Im not saying they all have to look like a Viconia, Morrigan or Isabella but at least provide some aesthetic value
It's not just the women... All of the characters in DAI look ugly and goofy. Frostbite is not an engine for third person games, let alone rpgs. The tactical view sucks ass, I haven't played it modded so I can't help you there.
If you are really invested in the story, try setting up the world state in Dragon Age Keep.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Game #4 of the year is beaten. This time, it was VirtuaVerse. Interesting premise, and and its pixel graphics were okay, but for some reason it didn't get me hooked. It's a competently made game, but the moment-to-moment story beats didn't really grab me. Gameplay is your standard P&C adventure game fare, with a few obtuse puzzle solutions here and there. I wish there were some memorable characters, but other than the douche that is the main character, everyone else was forgettable.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I'm playing Nioh 2. Got it with the PS+ crap last month I think (or the month before that). It's the same as the first game which isn't too bad. Mostly playing it in preparation for Wo Long.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom