Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I'm mainly playing the first Tomb Raider with my kid. The game is not nearly as convoluted and uninviting as I thought it would be. It's pretty simple actually, definitely clunky. Still fun though, I hope to finish it. I always stopped midway through with basically all tb games. The only one I have legitimately finished was Legend, and it's not something that looks good on my gamer portfolio.

Other than that, I'm almost done with Vampire Survivors. Took a break from Wizardry 8, trying to put some time into Geneforge and Escape from the Pit, but it's not going well.

jackofshadows

Magister
zero sievert

best game ive played since underrail, I dont know why the codex isnt talking about this little game it is pure INCLINE

its hard; holy fucking shit its hard. i have a 50% survival rate on hunts and bosses WILL one shot you

and fuck boars man, fuck them right up the arse holy fuck if two of them surround you you are FUCKED

anyway, i digress

oh, and its something to play to scratch that tarkov and STALKER itch.

its early access and expensive for what it is but 50+ hours over 2 weeks playtime for me is unheard of since, well, as mentioned before; underrail.

made by Cabo Studio, an italian dude (yes, one dude). He regularly updates the thing and is obviously passionate

totally flown under the radar and thats a shame.

places like the codex should be buying and shilling this shit

highly recommended
Played a few hours. Hardcore indeed. Seems addictive yeah. So far I like it overall.

Spotted an oversight btw: if you take skill book on a hunt, read it and die there you will "respawn" with it and the gained skill. I assume by this the game in raw state still.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
More Battletech for me. I feel entirely disgusting but I have a lot of fucking SRMs on my Orion, which makes me extremely powerful in the right circumstances.

Spotted an oversight btw: if you take skill book on a hunt, read it and die there you will "respawn" with it and the gained skill. I assume by this the game in raw state still.

you can read it on a hunt and it will still register as a skill point gained [even if you die]

will free up valuable space too.

glad to hear you are enjoying it

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I could swear it was Classic that I played and it was exactly as I remember the not removed from inventory version.

Nope. Classic cuts an enormous part of the sunken caves before you get to Hel, particularly in the section after you first meet ODIN. For example it skips all the parts with the giant enemy crabs that need to be flipped on their backs, and to 'compensate' it puts one under ODIN's platform.

It's very jarring, too, because in the original it really feels like you keep going deeper and deeper into the earth until you reach its bowels - the colour scheme gradually changes from blue to orange, water gives way to lava streams, etc. Meanwhile in Classic it's seriously just like you jump down three times and suddenly end up in hell.

Also, I forgot how intense the chapter in Thorstadt is. Every single fight here is a challenge, and you're constantly on edge. Yesterday at some point I decided I needed a break because I got physically exhausted from all the strain the game puts on you - I don't remember the last time this happened to me. Great shit, no wonder it's the part that I always remembered the most fondly.

Krivol

Magister
Well, I've found some explanation that they cut 'not needed platforming parts' as Rune is supposed to be hack-and-slash and not Mario 3d.

First post:
https://af.gog.com/forum/rune_classic/classic_vs_gold_a_veterans_opinion?as=1649904300

Im sure you already read somewhere that Classic is missing some levels from Gold. These levels are mediocre, heavy in the platforming department, or ambigous when it comes to puzzles/progression. So they didnt fit the game, which is (mostly) linear hack and slash action (not a bad thing).

I've never played Rune in the original and even did not know there are Gold and Classic versions, so I decided to check after Roxor's posts. I am not sure if cutting parts is adding to the game, but if this was as bad as Ultima 8 platforming (which I doubt, but maybe it was the case)...

curds

Magister
Well, I've found some explanation that they cut 'not needed platforming parts' as Rune is supposed to be hack-and-slash and not Mario 3d.
If the game was not supposed to have platforming, then why was there platforming in the game?

That guy's explanation is solely based on his opinion of what a game he didn't make is "supposed" to be.

I never finished Rune, but those early levels leading to the underworld that were cut were fun and atmospheric.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
but if this was as bad as Ultima 8 platforming (which I doubt, but maybe it was the case)...
Rune's platforming wasn't difficult or anything. The cut levels weren't bad and the aforementioned explanation is garbage.

The explanation is particularly garbage because cutting those levels also entails cutting a lot of the hacking and slashing like the aforementioned hordes of giant enemy crabs.

Wunderbar

Arcane
No wonder Rune 2 failed so hard - the butchering of Rune re-release shows that the devs had no idea what made Rune great.

I can see modern devs cutting 'the boring crab caves' so players could get to the cool viking shit quicker, but only during the actual development of the project. Going back to the already released game and cutting existing levels is just mind boggling. I mean, why even bother re-releasing your old game if you think it's so shit it needs some additional adjustment? It's not like you're going to sell it to the newer audience, gamers who buy re-releases usually do so because they played the original back in the days.

I like Rune a lot, it's probably the best Norse-inspired action game out there (not that it's a particularly high bar to clear). Even with all the goofy dwarven robots parts, it absolutely nails the "epic viking pulp adventure" tone.

And the sountrack.

The ending was also great. No sequel baits or feel-good-shit about Ragnar going back to rebuild his village. Dude saves the world, and then goes to Valhalla to drink mead with Odin. Metal.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I can see modern devs cutting 'the boring crab caves' so players could get to the cool viking shit quicker

But you know, given that the cool viking shit is still preceded by autistically flailing at zombies to decapitate them before you get the roman sword... :lol:

Though who knows, maybe they gutted the early Hel levels too.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I beat game #7 of the year, Chaos on Deponia. It's a decent adventure game, with top notch presentation. Puzzles aren't too obtuse, and the story flows well enough. Compared to VirtuaVerse, which I beat not long ago, this ame wins in the moment-to-moment gameplay, and is more entertaining in dialog. I will play Goodbye Deponia and the fourth game later in the year.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Went back to play Syndicate Wars after Syndicate and I've gotta say on a modern PC with GOG it plays like shit. Syndicate was ok, but the knockout gas doesn't work right on modern PCs with Syndicate Wars, and the mouse is too slow. As the game ramps up in difficulty, it's a fucking chore. Especially since the developers didn't hotkey the shield, so you're restricted by the mouse framerate.

Also the framerate itself is slow when there's too much going on. Like a building coming down. Still amazes me that you have problems like this, if anything I thought it would have been playing too fast.

Gotta get myself a proper office room so I can set up multiple PCs with my 98se, XP, 7 and latest PCs all set up. Going back to previous operating systems with single core processors is the only way to go for some old games.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I played both last year. Syndicate Wars deffo played too fast for me, not the other way.

Unrelated to that, I tried two games via PS+, for a few hours each. First, Days Gone. It was okay, and I spent about five hours with the game, but in the end, I got a bit bored.

I also tried Monster Hunter World. It wasn't bad. Decent action, but I am more likely to enjoy it for a longer period of time if I was to play with friends.

Control is also on PS+, and I might stick with this one. I got a couple of powers, and defeated one boss, so far.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I can see modern devs cutting 'the boring crab caves' so players could get to the cool viking shit quicker

But you know, given that the cool viking shit is still preceded by autistically flailing at zombies to decapitate them before you get the roman sword... :lol:

Though who knows, maybe they gutted the early Hel levels too.

Hesus, I just checked a lets play of Classic on youtube out of curiosity, and this is just extraordinarily bad.

- The vast majority of zombies in Hel are replaced by 'skeletons' who just use regular light weapons/shields and die to 3 hits
- There are tons of lizurds to snack on everywhere
- You get the roman sword MUCH MUCH MUCH earlier
- The zombies are not only much easier to kill before getting the roman sword, the roman sword actually kills them in ONE HIT
- They cut a big and challenging arena fight at the end of Hel where you get swarmed by respawning zombies and have to hold out for like 5 minutes

:despair:

who the fuck came up with this even holy shit

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played both last year. Syndicate Wars deffo played too fast for me, not the other way.

Unrelated to that, I tried two games via PS+, for a few hours each. First, Days Gone. It was okay, and I spent about five hours with the game, but in the end, I got a bit bored.

I also tried Monster Hunter World. It wasn't bad. Decent action, but I am more likely to enjoy it for a longer period of time if I was to play with friends.

Control is also on PS+, and I might stick with this one. I got a couple of powers, and defeated one boss, so far.

I think it's related to Dosbox that came pre-installed with GOG. I always played it on my 98se PC, but if you lower your desktop resolution it becomes more playable. But it's still not right.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire

I had to set up different cycles for menus and ingame with syndicate wars otherwise one was too fast or too slow.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I dont have much experience playing JRPGs but seeing how recently there was very few RPGs that Im interested in and that arent in Early Access I decided to try some JRPGs.

Recently there was a list of Codex top JRPGs of all time and one newer Yakuza game was near the top. Seeing that I contemplated playing it but I didnt want to miss out on the story of the previous games in the series. So I decided to play entire Yakuza series starting with Yakuza 0.

I just finished it and I must say enjoyed the game very much. Due my lack of experience of console games and playing it with keyboard and mouse, I found the gameplay a bit clunky. But I really liked the story, characters and the world. It felt to me like a breath of fresh air in the current state of gaming.

Now Im installing Yakuza Kiwami and I also got urge to play a RTS so Im also downloading Heroes of Annihilated Empires, a game I played multiple times before but I never finished.

I dont have much experience playing JRPGs but seeing how recently there was very few RPGs that Im interested in and that arent in Early Access I decided to try some JRPGs.

Recently there was a list of Codex top JRPGs of all time and one newer Yakuza game was near the top. Seeing that I contemplated playing it but I didnt want to miss out on the story of the previous games in the series. So I decided to play entire Yakuza series starting with Yakuza 0.

I just finished it and I must say enjoyed the game very much. Due my lack of experience of console games and playing it with keyboard and mouse, I found the gameplay a bit clunky. But I really liked the story, characters and the world. It felt to me like a breath of fresh air in the current state of gaming.

Now Im installing Yakuza Kiwami and I also got urge to play a RTS so Im also downloading Heroes of Annihilated Empires, a game I played multiple times before but I never finished.
Just a small heads up - don't expect the same amount of detail and quality from Kiwami 1 and 2, since they're honestly more of a remaster than a remake - the skeleton of the game is visibly that of the original PS2 titles, for better or worse depending on whom you ask.
Also, damn, Heroes of Annihilated Empires, I forgot that game existed. I've never met anyone IRL who has played it. :lol:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Also, damn, Heroes of Annihilated Empires, I forgot that game existed. I've never met anyone IRL who has played it. :lol:

Last time I played it I got pissed and quit after few missions due a issue of a game not playing cutscenes. Now I saw on the steam forum that someone made a patch for it, hopefully it will work this time.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Alien vs. Predator 2000 Classic from GOG
am I missin something when it comes to accuracy? There are times when I can spray whole mag into xenos and not kill them, then sometimes can pop headshots one after another. Always aiming in the head, old STALKER habit. Playing on Normal with no saves run, too many times saves in the bad spot. Xenos can make quick jumps at you while keeping them in short distance let you pop their heads easier... if they don't shred you to pieces. Still have to play Predateur campaing someday...

Chronicles of Myrtana
still in the 1st chapter, everything is fine but I'm broken 99% of the time. Even Gothic2 NotR wasn't that bad... Getting cash for gathering trophies was major breakdown. Game is really slow and I need some willpower to not drop the game at this pace... wonder if you can clean up most of the map but I need better weapon somewhere in the wild.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Game #8 beeaten. Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising is a "companion game" to the Eiyuden Chronicle: 100 Heroes. It doesn't really offer any challenge, and I beat it without any game over screens. You control three characters, assigned to one button each. It's a pretty straightforward side sctolling rpg, with very light metroidvania elements. Writing isn't anything special, but presentation is good enough. Sounds and looks good. Nothing wrong with the controls, it plays well enough. I did unlock hard mode, and some post game quests. I will try that for a couple of hours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom