Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I finished Iratus Lord of the Dead along with the Wrath of the Necromancer dlc,it's a Darkest Dungeon clone with a few twists here and there,the graphics are ok although they don't have that gritty style that make DD look great.The gameplay like is said is that of DD with a few variations.Overall an enjoyable game but not as good as Darkest Dungeon

I also finished Monster Boy and the Cursed Kigdom,it was made by the lead designer of the Wonder Boy series and it shows,it's basically a sequel to Wonder Boy III Dragon's Trap in all but name.The graphics are nice and the gameplay is very similat to Dragon's Trap,you get to change form and use various abilities like in that game.If you liked Dragno's Trap get this one too

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Oh, also, said this in the screenshot thread, but the excessive use of journals and audio logs in modern games is so abundantly stupid. Villager had time to write all this to no one as bandits were out to kill. For what?

witcher-3.jpg

Devs don't fucking know how to tell a story without using notes.

Protip: if you need notes to tell a story, and you have to write a hundred notes for your game, you are doing something wrong.
It's a shame because The Witcher III has great animations during dialogue, which makes them feel much more lively than that from other games. But so much time is spent on pointless locations where monsters or bandits guard """treasure""" (i.e. piece of shit), or tiny little quests that do nothing to flesh out the world. It's just so tiresome.

This is in stark contrast to my favorite RPG, Fallout: New Vegas. More often than not, the quests in the game flesh out characters, locations, and/or factions, at the very least. It is a rare sight where a quest does absolutely nothing of the sort. Even a retardedly simple quest like killing ants for the NCR drives home the point of how inept their management is.

The typical Witcher III quest in New Vegas would have been like this:
  • Talk to NPC.
  • Random question mark pops up indicating the presence of a cave.
  • Enter cave.
  • Glowing note sitting besides some rock.
  • 5 paragraph-long story about how some random miner lost his precious gun.
  • MY PRECIOUS (track quest). Find the lost treasure.
  • Find a gun at the end of the cave.
  • AAAAAHHHHH COMPLETED: MY PRECIOUS.

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
Oh, also, said this in the screenshot thread, but the excessive use of journals and audio logs in modern games is so abundantly stupid. Villager had time to write all this to no one as bandits were out to kill. For what?

witcher-3.jpg

Devs don't fucking know how to tell a story without using notes.

Protip: if you need notes to tell a story, and you have to write a hundred notes for your game, you are doing something wrong.
It's a shame because The Witcher III has great animations during dialogue, which makes them feel much more lively than that from other games. But so much time is spent on pointless locations where monsters or bandits guard """treasure""" (i.e. piece of shit), or tiny little quests that do nothing to flesh out the world. It's just so tiresome.

This is in stark contrast to my favorite RPG, Fallout: New Vegas. More often than not, the quests in the game flesh out characters, locations, and/or factions, at the very least. It is a rare sight where a quest does absolutely nothing of the sort. Even a retardedly simple quest like killing ants for the NCR drives home the point of how inept their management is.

The typical Witcher III quest in New Vegas would have been like this:
  • Talk to NPC.
  • Random question mark pops up indicating the presence of a cave.
  • Enter cave.
  • Glowing note sitting besides some rock.
  • 5 paragraph-long story about how some random miner lost his precious gun.
  • MY PRECIOUS (track quest). Find the lost treasure.
  • Find a gun at the end of the cave.
  • AAAAAHHHHH COMPLETED: MY PRECIOUS.
It's like finding that one guy who "won" the lottery in Nipton, except instead of a guy it's a note.

Yes, the guy with the broken legs made it out before you got there. No, there's not some corpse with broken legs in the area as visual storytelling.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
well i like how at one point chaos theory just drops all pretense of being a stealth game

good that i never use any gadgets so i could hog all those insta-knockout tazer shots for commandos with night vision storming me en masse

this game feels confused as to what it actually wants to be

BruceVC

Magister
I completed Mafia 3 after about 100 hours, it gets a solid 58/100 on the highly respected " BruceVC game rating system"

I made an earlier post about what I liked about it. Its fun, its not fantastic but its fun

But I have decided to play Warlock of Firetop Mountain next, I have bought the " full " version of this game and not the direct Fighting Fantasy book adaptation because there are 2 versions

https://store.steampowered.com/app/324740/The_Warlock_of_Firetop_Mountain/

Im really excited, this was the first fantasy CYOA book I ever played in 1984 and I remember back then how the concepts of dice and choice blew me away. After this I got into D&D and Games Workshop but that was a few years later so this book is literally the beginning of my journey and love of the fantasy genre

I read some reviews and feedback on this game and they included the original art and design so it should be a great and nostalgic experience :bounce:

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
I am back to Quake as there is still too many custom maps i didn't try yet. Previously left the Alkaline maps unfinished so i am currently rectifying this matter.
quakespasmsdl12gchfz.png

quakespasmsdl12F6PNb.jpg

Pretty

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Currently playing Swordflight 2 for NWN:EE (finished Swordflight 1 earlier this week). THe author tries so hard to make your life of a jaded cRPG nerd so much harder by removing all those little conveniences and QoF perks we've gotten used to over the years (like resting restrictions) and if you're not constantly paying attention and maximizing your limited resources, you die. It's fair but not impossible unlike some of these hardcore RPG nutters producing games designed to crush your pods. You don't need to powerbuild. I'm playing with a fairly pitiful pure paladine (weak in NWN unless you're working at being a Champion of Torn) and while life is very brutal (it's humiliating getting your party of 3's ass kicked by a lone tiny goblin chieftian) I'm still alive at lvl 10. Diggin' it.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I am back to Quake as there is still too many custom maps i didn't try yet. Previously left the Alkaline maps unfinished so i am currently rectifying this matter.
quakespasmsdl12gchfz.png

Pretty
Makes me think of the beautiful lyrics to old rock ballads.

♫Sam was in the jungle,
Agent Orange spread against the sky like marmalade,
those gooks were fierce and fearless,
that's the price you pay when you invade♫

axx

Savant
Finished Riven. Unlike Myst which I managed to no-cheat through, this time I had to look up online to find a switch near the giant golden dome which enables that grid-pin puzzle. Whatever. Looking forward to the announced remake.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
After being sent to Candlekeep by Duke Eltan in order to find out what Rieltar and the rest of the Iron Throne leaders are doing there, I have been framed by a certain figure named Koveras... (really, Bioware? C'mon...)
Anyway, after being sent to prison, I was released by a Candlekeep monk and sent to the escape route that is reachable via the catacombs. Now, the plan is to traverse the catacombs and go straight to Baldur's Gate in order to clear my name.
This is the Endgame, bros.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

♫Sam was in the jungle,
Sounds lurid

♫Sam was in the jungle,
Sounds lurid.

Lurid? That's only the first 4 lines. I suppose I shouldn't mention that ♫Sam lost his arm in some bordertown, his fingers are mixed with someone's crop, if he didn't have that opium to smoke, the pain would never ever stop♫ :-D

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Im glad Im not the only one who uses guides in adventure games, I didnt want to admit it until someone else did :-D

I think most people do. Stasis isn't even hyper-obtuse like some (not yet anyway) but I was getting tired of all the backtracking, and autistic scanning in fear of missing something. A "highlight all interactive objects" key would really help this game.

BruceVC

Magister
Im glad Im not the only one who uses guides in adventure games, I didnt want to admit it until someone else did :-D

I think most people do. Stasis isn't even hyper-obtuse like some (not yet anyway) but I was getting tired of all the backtracking, and autistic scanning in fear of missing something. A "highlight all interactive objects" key would really help this game.
For me the biggest problem with guides is the risk that I start becoming lazy and end up using the guide in a frivolous way without putting effort in which is part of the design challenge and fun of adventure games ...you suppose to think about solutions

So I created my own rule, I will spend at least 2 hours trying to solve a puzzle and then only use a guide which is reasonable around the amount of time I want to spend . And then I find generally developers have a certain similar pattern to puzzles in games and once you familiar with that it becomes easier to understand and solve

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I completed two playthroughs of System Shock 2 recently: one on normal and one on hard. It's still one of my favourite games ever and it just needs a few mods to work well on modern machines. Sadly, the game falls off once you leave the Von Braun: Both the Rickenbacker and the Body of the Many feel rushed and are not very fun.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
And das it for Chaos Theory. I guess I had some fun with it but overall I rate it meh/10. It's pretty lousy as a stealth game, the level design is very linear and the freedom of approach is largely restricted to either knocking everyone out or finding that one pipe running along a wall somewhere that lets you go around the mob of guards. Discounting of course some of the places that are impossible to go past stealthily, which are frustrating if you're trying to 'ghost' the game. Thief this ain't. Honestly it's more like a puzzle game with a gun.

Some of the mechanics are also surprisingly clunky, like visor modes being left on during haxx0r and making the interface unusable, move speed throttle not working on diagonal movement, or best korean APCs just straight up ignoring all standard gameplay paradigms and gunning you down no matter how stealthy you try to be.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Finished Swordflight 2 (NWN module). Was sad to see it end. But... I've got three more chapters installed in NWN:EE to console me if I choose that path. However, I'm pooped and will be taking a break. You try completing a 40 hour long RPG (plus the 10 hour Chapter 1 before that) in a week that kept punching you in the scrotum, and see how you feel. Great module though. Author is very clever and breaks a lot of rules (like having goblins be the master of your beat down for a change), some I liked and some... eh, not so much.

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The final battle with Sarevok is over. He hits like a Mac truck, so try to summon some distractions and buff your main tank so he can at least be able to stand toe to toe with Sarevok for a couple of rounds. Sarevok has Angelo (archer with arrows of detonation), Tazok (a half-ogre melee damage dealer) and Semaj (mage) with him. Use every damn buff at your disposal, protect your party from fire and try to kill Semaj as soon as possible. Angelo should be next. I used hit and run tactics on Sarevok, worked perfectly.
The ending cutscene is really great.
That was Baldur's Gate, bros.

shaanghai

Literate
Doom 3, first time. They could have removed the entire middle half of the game and improved it, it just goes nowhere. Almost identical weapons, environments and enemies for 6-ish hours. It doesn't progress meaningfully past the first hour until you get to hell.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Doom 3, first time. They could have removed the entire middle half of the game and improved it, it just goes nowhere. Almost identical weapons, environments and enemies for 6-ish hours. It doesn't progress meaningfully past the first hour until you get to hell.
Doom 3 peaks at Delta Labs and Hell. Also pretty good missions after you come back from Hell.

I seem to recall Doom 3 actually getting much easier over time because there was less of the enemy marines with hitscan attacks shooting you from completely dark areas as you progressed past the early game. Which funny enough is exactly the same thing that often aggravates me about design on OG Doom maps.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom