Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Fink

Educated
Playing Alpha Protocol for the first time. Fun popamole RPG, but games with shit combat should not be allowed to have boss fights. Also the final act devolving into a total TPS sucks.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I haven't been playing many video games lately, getting bored quite quickly and not finding many to my taste.
Then Dread Delusion came out of early access, I decided to give it a try, ready to refund if it was as gimmicky as I expected. First hour was meh. Then I played ten hours in two days, mesmerized and enjoying every second of it.

If you are any serious explorefag, do yourself a favor and try this gem. I think I'm around the half of the game but even if it must suck from now I'll cherish the time spent striding this wonderful land where every step brings you new views to behold, more marvels to climb, more dungeons to roam and more PNJs to meet. Top class world design, visuals and lore. Well worth its price and more solid than it looks, although it will not cater to everybody (in particular combatfags, sorry).

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
Going for another Fallout New Vegas: TTW run to overcome the wait for SMTVV. Now that I have a powerhouse of a PC, I can actually run my modded ENB setup at 4k @ 100fps thanks to heavy AMD X3D engine optimisations from a mod. It's crazy how well this game runs now, even with Open Strip, and Open Freeside.

Current character is going to be a Science build who might delve into creating RobCo roboters from the "RobCo Certified" mod.

Starting in F3 is always a big obstacle in my build, since the economy is harsh, random Adventurers and Slavers who are travelling all across the map might attack you, and NPCs in general can actually spot you from far away (thanks to this incredible mod). Drug addictions and limbs can not be healed at the doctor and have to be manually cured with items or resting a lot. Loot has been adjusted so that most containers will be empty because, duh, you're not the only one scavenging. There is a slight chance that if you're low health, you fall in agony, and NPC's will uh ... "rob" your character, which almost results in an inventory reset unless you manage to somehow kill your robber again.

Overall, a real pain in the ass, but a great survival game!

QohHQ4z.jpeg

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Got Viva New Vegas working, so I'm doing a New Vegas run after a long break from it. This time as a melee character, as I don't think I actually played as one.
After a bit, I remember why. Melee isn't really good, especially early game. It's only really good if you use sneak so you can close the distance, but I don't want to be sneaky git, I want to be an idiot knight in heavy armour and big arse sword.
And even then you're better off using sneak to get a sniper rifle shot off.

The melee perks in New Vegas are pretty stupid too. Slayer, despite buffing melee, needs only unarmed to get, for example.

soutaiseiriron

Educated
spec into survival to make rushing water and slasher
along with psycho it's 50% extra attack speed and 50% extra damage
those two things are why i almost never make a build where i don't spec into survival a little

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, I'm going explosives, survival, melee.
Explosives, oddly enough, are a prerequisitite for that perk that affects all throwing weapons, include melee ones. Melee NPCs tends to use grenades anyway, so I might as well follow suit.

Funnily enough, I was going to make a Senator Armstrong build and take speech, unarmed and survival (to unlock some of the regen perks) as tags, but then I realized that I never actually used melee weapons before, so I made a big dumb brute character instead.
I named him Mongo. He is only pawn in game of life.

Ezekiel

Arcane
The last time I played Banjo Kazooie was maybe twelve years ago. At the time, I did not have enough puzzle pieces to open the final door after the trivia/time attack board game and gave up. This time, I opened the final door with one jigsaw to spare. So, because I have not actually played the final boss since I was a young boy, I forgot about the Jinjo statue that can't be fed with the blue eggs after you die or Game Over (or whatever causes the glitch). Will of course do it again, at another time, but pretty disappointing after excitement. Like the change in those faces in the corner, almost.

unknown-2024-05-17-17-06-001-mkv-snapshot-00-27-27-2024-05-17-18-59-36.jpg

unknown-2024-05-17-17-06-001-mkv-snapshot-01-24-40-2024-05-17-18-53-55.jpg

"Nintendo Seal of Quality"

Last edited:

Spukrian

Savant
Got Viva New Vegas working, so I'm doing a New Vegas run after a long break from it. This time as a melee character, as I don't think I actually played as one.
After a bit, I remember why. Melee isn't really good, especially early game. It's only really good if you use sneak so you can close the distance, but I don't want to be sneaky git, I want to be an idiot knight in heavy armour and big arse sword.
And even then you're better off using sneak to get a sniper rifle shot off.

The melee perks in New Vegas are pretty stupid too. Slayer, despite buffing melee, needs only unarmed to get, for example.
In my only playthrough of FNV I made a character specced in to Chance's Knife: Heavy Handed, Grunt, Cowboy, etc... slices everything.

Shuruga

Educated
Going for another Fallout New Vegas: TTW run to overcome the wait for SMTVV. Now that I have a powerhouse of a PC, I can actually run my modded ENB setup at 4k @ 100fps thanks to heavy AMD X3D engine optimisations from a mod. It's crazy how well this game runs now, even with Open Strip, and Open Freeside.

Current character is going to be a Science build who might delve into creating RobCo roboters from the "RobCo Certified" mod.

Starting in F3 is always a big obstacle in my build, since the economy is harsh, random Adventurers and Slavers who are travelling all across the map might attack you, and NPCs in general can actually spot you from far away (thanks to this incredible mod). Drug addictions and limbs can not be healed at the doctor and have to be manually cured with items or resting a lot. Loot has been adjusted so that most containers will be empty because, duh, you're not the only one scavenging. There is a slight chance that if you're low health, you fall in agony, and NPC's will uh ... "rob" your character, which almost results in an inventory reset unless you manage to somehow kill your robber again.

Would you care to share the mod list? I've played FO3 and FNV but not TTW and what you described seems like an intriguing set of changes that might pull me back in. I've also fallen victim to stereotypical "spend a few hours setting up some mods only to find a compatability issue" experiences a few times along the way...

soutaiseiriron

Educated
I've been playing Fallout 3 a little with TTW and like 95% of the optional mods they mention in Wasteland Survival Guide, and I've had no issues other than a single crash.
Wasteland Survival Guide makes the game a lot more hardcore and will more or less enforce stealthing and some amount of planning to handle raiders and shit early game, but I've only played 6 hours. It also eliminates general shittiness of Fallout 3 combat and its bullet spongyness because it brings it in line with FNV + JSawyer.
AI can be a bit nutty though, I've gotten headshotted in half a second by snipers a lot. If you enjoy a more planned tactical shootery approach to combat I think it's pretty great. I'm sure these things can be tweaked too.

Starting in F3 is always a big obstacle in my build, since the economy is harsh
Is it? I have 2k caps with pretty little effort in 6 hours. Enough for repairs and health items are generous enough.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
I've been playing Fallout 3 a little with TTW and like 95% of the optional mods they mention in Wasteland Survival Guide, and I've had no issues other than a single crash.
Wasteland Survival Guide makes the game a lot more hardcore and will more or less enforce stealthing and some amount of planning to handle raiders and shit early game, but I've only played 6 hours. It also eliminates general shittiness of Fallout 3 combat and its bullet spongyness because it brings it in line with FNV + JSawyer.
AI can be a bit nutty though, I've gotten headshotted in half a second by snipers a lot. If you enjoy a more planned tactical shootery approach to combat I think it's pretty great. I'm sure these things can be tweaked too.

Starting in F3 is always a big obstacle in my build, since the economy is harsh
Is it? I have 2k caps with pretty little effort in 6 hours. Enough for repairs and health items are generous enough.
Nowadays, crashes really just appear due to large texture packs, or faulty scripts. The game has become pretty stable in the last years thanks to mods like Heap Replacer, Tick Fick, or Stevie's Engine optimizations. Also, I do not power game, but roleplay, which makes things even more complicated on the economy front.

Would you care to share the mod list? I've played FO3 and FNV but not TTW and what you described seems like an intriguing set of changes that might pull me back in. I've also fallen victim to stereotypical "spend a few hours setting up some mods only to find a compatability issue" experiences a few times along the way...
Here is the mod list, though it won't help you much. The build is almost nine years old, and probably 10.000 of edits have been merged into this list by myself.
https://pastebin.com/E9skgh2G

Last edited:

soutaiseiriron

Educated
Nowadays, crashes really just appear due to large texture packs, or faulty scripts. The game has become pretty stable in the last years thanks to mods like Heap Replacer, Tick Fick, or Stevie's Engine optimizations. Also, I do not power game, but roleplay, which makes things even more complicated on the economy front.
Yeah, I have all that shit, but crashes will still happen even with a clean Viva New Vegas or TTW install that follows the guide (or sidesteps it with Wabbajack). I think DXVK helps a bit too, and that allows for alt-tabbing so it's basically a requirement. In a hundred hours of VNV last year I can't really remember any crash specifically, maybe under 4 or 5 crashes total.
I can't exactly take roleplaying seriously in Fallout 3, the game is just too ridiculous. The only Bethesda game where I did LARP a little is Oblivion. I haven't really powergamed my character this time around since I just RNGed my SPECIAL and traits. 10int minmaxing gets boring the 6th time you do it.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
One More Dungeon 2 - a roguelike that feels like a more casual version of Barony.
Roguebook - another one of those cardgame roguelikes. Didn't manage to grab me the same way Monster Train did.
Master of Luna Demo - a very lite Master of Magic clone. Not too bad from what i tried.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
So 11 hours in and melee is actually pretty fun. You can deal silly amounts of damage with the heavy handed trait and the rebar club is really strong. I had to use a mod to resolve the silly perk issues, which changes it so that Melee OR Unarmed is required, instead of stupid shit like only unarmed being required for a perk that melee builds would like.

Overall though, I think sneak melee is stronger instead of tank melee. Sure, it's fun wearing metal armour and bonking enemies over the head with a big rock, but you take so much damage. Also melee throwing weapons are shit. They're heavy, one use only and are pretty rare. They do deal decent damage, but the drawbacks do not outway the costs. So if you want to engage enemies at a distance, you do need to take a secondary skill. I found explosives are pretty nice to pair with melee.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Using jewish tricks in Asses Afterglow, I just convinced a cannibal meat trader to expand his business and accept scrap as another currency so that he may venture into new markets.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Axel's high kick is badass, and I only learned about it today, after wondering if that downward attack I discovered after these few years also applied in reverse, when jumping straight up, pressing up and attack. Checked to see if it's also in Streets of Rage 4, and sure enough. A little disappointed that Blaze doesn't have an upward attack in either game. Only the downward one.

high-kick.jpg

high-kick-2.jpg

Axel's high kick is badass, and I only learned about it today, after wondering if that downward attack I discovered after these few years also applied in reverse, when jumping straight up, pressing up and attack. Checked to see if it's also in Streets of Rage 4, and sure enough. A little disappointed that Blaze doesn't have an upward attack in either game. Only the downward one.

high-kick.jpg

high-kick-2.jpg
These filters successfully replicate how I see when I'm not wearing glasses. Amazing.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've been playing WH40K Inquisitor: Martyr on and off lately. This is mostly notable because I had said it was complete trash in a few threads before, but I take it back. I'm not thrilled with the mission based structure, but whatever. It's just that the first few missions are crap but it opens up reasonably quickly, I just hadn't pushed in far enough to get a proper sense of the game.

Ezekiel

Arcane

high-kick.jpg

high-kick-2.jpg
These filters successfully replicate how I see when I'm not wearing glasses. Amazing.
"TV Mode (RF)" in Kega Fusion. I don't know if it's the right choice.

Yeoman

Educated
Playing One-inch Tactics, just got done with mission 5. The objectives of the mission were to find a piece of intel situated in only one of three possible sites and exfil at the same insertion point south within 12 turns. I got cocky after wiping out this bunch of units in the screenshot with a mixture of melee combat and explosives (direct fire weapons like cannons and rifles are next to impossible to use against enemies in forests and rubble) and decided to venture north, I stirred up a hornet's nest and found another similarly sized group of enemies. Needless to say, I got the hell out of there.

xTfyyts.jpeg

I only got a look at a preview of the next mission, and apparently I'm supposed to intercept and destroy a whopping 50-unit strong combined arms force. If more than 5 get through, it's mission over.

ba19SFi.jpeg

AK3nh4L.jpeg

Getting real MechCommander vibes with these missions so far, loving it. It's a shame that the game apparently only has 20 missions, I think it should have at least 30.

BruceVC

Magister
Over the last month I have completed the entire Eye of Beholder series 1-3

I included full updates on that official thread but it was a great CRPG dungeon crawl experience, I did use some tips and guides which is to expected

I am now playing Dungeon Hack because Im still in the mood for this type of game and its fun. Its similar to EOB mechanics but you only have 1 party member and you can regenerate dungeon design which is a unique feature

I decided to be a cleric\fighter multiclass because it seemed to provide the best options around healing and combat

Zlaja

Arcane
I started playing Resident Evil: Village and at first glance the level design seemed cool, but the early game quickly devolved into some retarded scripted chase sequenses. I had to look up how to deal with one of them, because the game is so fucking dark I couldn't see a hole in the wall I was supposed to hide into. And when playing on Hardcore/Hard difficulty the enemies seem spongy as fuck. You have to hit a lycan with like 5-6 headshots to take them down. I spent an entire clip on the FIRST enemy in the game. Limiting resources and not being able to soak up a lot of damage is great, but having enemies being spongy as fuck is retarded and not fun.

Considering restarting on Standard difficulty (can't change difficulty mid-game).

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Mysterious castle - a dnd-like tactical rpg/rogulike that apparently existed for 13 years on IOS. Can be played in browser.
Some people might scoff at this game as moble slop or whatnot but it's actually pretty good. Already described my experience in this thread.

Telestians - a very close clone of those old Warlords games with some cool artstyle. Neat but i find the Warlords formula a bit to simlistic to be entertained for more than 10 hours.
No story campaign safe for like two handcrafted maps(one of which is a tutorial) but pretty alright random map generator with different biomes to choose from.
Also, Devs are based.
TelestiansGuLvb3g6Co.png

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Mysterious castle - a dnd-like tactical rpg/rogulike that apparently existed for 13 years on IOS. Can be played in browser.
Some people might scoff at this game moble slop or whatnot but it's actually pretty good. Already described my experience in this thread.

Telestians - a very close clone of those old Warlords games with some cool artstyle. Neat but i find the Warlords formula a bit to simlistic to be entertained for more than 10 hours.
No story campaign safe for like two handcrafted maps(one of which is a tutorial) but pretty alright random map generator with different biomes to choose from.
Also, Devs are based.
TelestiansGuLvb3g6Co.png
Nice!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom