Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Dungeon of Naheulbeuk and its dlcs Ruins of Limis and Back to the Futon,it'a good tactical rpg which tries to have a humorous/parody tone. The jokes aren just meh though unless they involve the dwarf/dwarves,there is a story but ti's not really interesting.Unlike most tactical rpgs it's not mission based but you get to run around and explore the eponymous dungeon,but there are no random battles,only those that are part of the main quest or sidequests.The gameplay is solid,it's not going to be on someone's best rpgs of all time list but it's enjoyable.

Also finished Black Mesa,the fan remake of Half Life,it's good ,the modern graphics are nice,the earth levels are mostly the same but the alien levels have some major changes,there is still too much platforming for my taste though.Btw I encountered a major bug,the game kept crashing randomly during the Xen level.Thankfully the game allows you to start from any level and I bypassed it because otherwise I wouldn't be able to finish the game.

Oh I finished Battlefield Bad Company 2 too,it's ok,it looks like it's DICE's attempt to make a more CoD like game,the characters in your company are entertaining,the gameplay is just ok.

Last edited:

ds

Cipher
Patron
the game kept crushing during the Xen level

I believe that's what the moving platforms are supposed to do when you stand under them - should have been used to that after residue processing..

1) BG2 with a bunch of mods installed.

I was called autistic for trying out some retroarch shaders going through BG1 original- and that's fine, was just fucking around. The best-looking shaders made my laptop overheat, unfortunately. Probably a Wincast retroarch core thing.

This is the first time I've tried SCS with BG2. Quite a different experience. I'm really enjoying the enhanced AI- I probably wouldn't go for it in BG1 but default BG2 has always felt too easy to faceroll. I decided to go with BG2 EE to use mods such these. Having an ATB meter for things like searching for traps, being able to see an enemy's enchantments and being able to gauge when you can cast a character's next spell is such a huge QOL improvement over the default game that I'm willing to forgive the Beamdung's shortcomings.

I've become a huge fan of the Cleric/Thief PC. There's a lot of synergy there despite what some might say. Huge quarterstaff backstab damage. Sanctuary+search for traps and scouting. Call Upon Holy Might to improve pickpocket and lockpick chances due to improved Dex. 3 Wisdom tomes in BG1 if you're importing. GTFO Guarded Compound mage's Horrid Wilting with a rogue-ish cleric who stands on the sidelines with zone of sweet air. He plays very similar to my old Warhammer: Online runepriest- more of a support caster who you can build your party around thanks to having so much utility. I'm having a lot of fun going through BG2 again with SCS' added difficulty- although I'm easing myself into it with Tactical settings.

I've warmed up to the asshole NPCs and quite like Anomen these days. Funny guy. Valygar/Mazzy is also a fun combo when it comes to bants, although I used Shadowkeeper to change some of their... uh, less-desirable inherent traits.

2) Granblue Fantasy Versus: Rising

I normally keep a fighting game in my back-pocket-- I'm just an average joe who likes having the option of going online and blowing off steam by fighting a few matches after a long day at the jobsite. Despite the overwhelming amount of weeb in this game, I'm having a lot of fun with it. SC6 was the last fighting game I sunk a lot of time into, and supposedly the director of SC6 joined this game's dev team. I appreciate the fact that it's a sword and sorcery themed weapon-fighter fighting game.

I've been playing Vaseraga who is basically a half-giant barbarian, complete with a barbarian shout that adds superarmor to your attacks. The barbarian shout even adds superarmor to your next barbarian shout, meaning I can sometimes take rounds by barbarian shouting at someone repeatedly. His cornerstone is a 'stance' where he just walks slowly towards or over someone. There's nothing more satisfying than slowly stomping towards someone, absorbing a super move that your opponent does out of desperation, and then using Vaseraga's massive scythe to toss their anime waifu ignobly across the stage.

One feature I especially like are the little navis that commentate on your matches:

navi.png

It's just a dumb little feature, reminds me of the familiars from Master of Magic. Come to think of it, if your familiar in MOM occasionally lent sage advice a la Civ2's council... well, that would be neat. At times they've offered pretty insightful advice. Just a neat feature for a fighting game.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Dipped my toes in two games :

Neon White, whose incredible gameplay seems only to be matched by its awful story (luckily it manages to stumble into the so bad it's manageable territory). Also the visuals really click with me. Very enjoyable.

And Kingdom Come Deliverance, which is very good when the game lets me play. I appreciate the care, less the cut-scenes. Also on the one hand the castles towers have roofing which is realistic and great, on the others the archers can't hit shit and I should be dead. We'll see, should be worth the eight bucks.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Finished Cyberpunk 2077 and Phantom Liberty expansion. When this game was announced I hoped for a game like Witcher 3, visually stunning world, good quests/characters/dialogs and mediocre combat/mechanics. And thats pretty much what I got, only the world while visually stunning (especially the expansion) feels shallow and empty. Exploration being rather pointless, with not many things to find or to do outside quests. The dialogs/characters/quests part is ok, better then your average game but nothing special and not as good as in Witcher 3. Gameplay mechanics were underwhelming but I came into this game not having high expectation in that department.

Phantom Liberty was overall slightly better then the main game. If we ignore horrible 2 hour long linear heavily scripted beginning that made me want uninstall the game. I do appreciate that expansion ties with the main quest and managed to open a alternate ending of it. In most cases expansions are often separate thing to main quest and nothing you do there influences the mq.

Overall I found the game alright, with a hint of a disappointment since you can see the potential was there for something great. I love cyberpunk setting and as such I will be generous and give the game score of 7/10. While heavily flawed I still do think its a game worth of a playthrough, as long your dont have high expectations.

Also finished Talos Principle 2. I loved the first game and I liked this one too. I do think there is too many talking and maps should have a bit been more compact, as running from puzzle to puzzle and point of interest can be tiresome. Difficulty is all over the place with some gold puzzles being so easy and solvable in a minute. Its a good game that is not as good as first one, but for fans its a well worth playing.

Still looking for Yakuza Infinite Wealth to get below 40 euros to buy, until then maybe I will finally finish Nier Replicant.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Stranglehold is hilarious. Bullet makes object drop on bad guy's head everywhere. Same thoughts as seven years ago: bad game. Just no satisfying movement.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I will start System Shock (the original) and System Shock 2.
Gonna have a lot of fun, though I might have to get myself reacquainted with the first System Shock's interface and controls (it's been a long time).
All hail Looking Glass Studios!

Ezekiel

Arcane
What are some third-person games where you can use items or weapons while climbing? The pistol in Splinter Cell comes to mind. Otherwise, I'm drawing a blank.

turns out, that if you don't pay for a premium nexus account, you have to manually download around 160 mods if you wanna play new vegas using viva new vegas :M

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
What are some third-person games where you can use items or weapons while climbing? The pistol in Splinter Cell comes to mind. Otherwise, I'm drawing a blank.
Sands of Time and Heavy Metal Fakk 2 for sure, I think also Bloodrayne 2 so maybe Bloodrayne 1 as well, though in 2 it came with some really clunky acrobajix that downright refused to work, so it may have been a new addition.

P. sure there's more, but it's not something particularly common. Probably because making working and *safe* ladders is already a challenge in itself.

ind33d

Learned
rainbow six series? death stranding, technically? halo 1?

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I recently got one of these emulation handhelds. It's the Anbernic RG 35XX Plus. It was £35 on AliExpress.
Screenshot 2024-05-30 065850.jpg

I'm very impressed with it. Especially the quality of the screen. The main reason I wanted it was to play the older Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy games, but unfortunately no Dragon Warrior games came pre-loaded. I can add ROMs myself of course, and I will, but the process is a little more involved than I imagined it would be. I had assumed that this function would be workable through the usb connection, but I actually need a Micro SD reader to edit the contents of the card (It's in the mail)

Anyway, in the meantime I started playing Super Castlevania IV, Pokemon Tetris and Pokemon Emerald on it, and I'm having a blast. I honestly think this is my most satisfying video game related purchase in years. I'm considering spending quite a bit more on a much better portable emulator at some point down the line, since I've got so much value out of this. I picked this model because several youtube videos recommended it as a good starting device for portable emulation, and I think this was excellent advice.

If any of you are considering getting one of these, or something similar, be aware that they go on Amazon and Ebay for around double what I paid. I would recommend going with AliExpress if possible.

Edit: Now that I read this back I realised that, if you're in the US, you may get the best price by buying directly from the Anbernic website.

Last edited:

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS STILL FINISH ING CONTROL AND STILL HAVING FUN

NEW FAGS OF THE FALLEN IS ON FAGPASS SO THAT IS WHAT IM UP TO NEXT IM A PRAG FOR MOST ANY SOULS WANNABE

BROS SERIOUS BUSINESS THOUGH MY WORK GOT RID OF OUR PERSONAL DRIVE SPACE THIS MANY INCONVENIENT

SO I GOTTA DOWNLOAD SHIT TO MY PHONE THEN UPLOAD IT TO GOOGLE DRIVE THEN DOWNLOAD THE GAMES ON MY MAIN WORK COMPUTER

I HAD DOSBOX SET UP I PLAYED ALIEN LEGACY AND FLOOR 13 ALOT AND I ALSO HAD AMIGA EXE FILES FOR KARATE CHAMP AND DAMAGE SADISTIC BUTCHERING OF HUMANITY

MAYBE ILL PLAY HELHERRON AGAIN THE BEST GENOCIDE SIMULATOR EVER

Zariusz

Arbiter
Currently im playing Tale of Immortal, already have 20 hours in it. I think its mainly because of my somewhat recent fascination with cultivation anime that i got sucked in so much. Its more of a system based open world sandbox where besides of the whole cultivation based main gameplay loop you have also text based adventure part (kinda like sunless sea though not as rich).
Combat is decent, its a 2D action rpg, atleast i can say that getting new magic abilities and seing them in action is very satisfying, both visually and numbers wise. Exploration aspect was quite fun for me, while there is a general structure to it random event nicely change stuff from time to time, you never know if you get to start new questline, find new scroll that allows you to dominate rivals or end up dying because you got massacred by a father of some asshole that you killed years ago for stealing your hardly earned magic scroll.

Tbh im not sure if people who arent at least somewhat familiar with the cultivation tropes could easily enjoy the game, main gameplay loop is grind based but that is kinda expected from the whole premise, but if you know what you are doing it can be somwehat mitigated. There are occasions for shortcuts, mainly from random events, though the biggest factor is how you are playing, like a generic gifted protagonist or some random background element.

EDIT:
Also english translation is decent, there is no esoteric madman ramblings like for example in Matchless KungFu.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Finished ASSES: Afterglow.

Pretty great shit. The shooting, level design, exploration and atmosphere are all top notch. There's even some minor non-linearity there too. One of these games that you're sad to have finished.

It's ridiculous that this is just a mod.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Played Orcs must die 3 and Second Extinction for a couple of hours visiting my brother. Both pretty fun if you're looking for coop games that work well with just 2 players.

AlwaysBrotoMen

Educated
Finished Metroid Prime 1 - One of the greatest games of all time. Fantastic boss fights oozing with atmosphere and the levels were robust with lots of secrets.
Horizon forbidden west - Bored to death.
Grand theft auto 5 - Finished it this time it was fun in the beginning .The quality of the missions are not that good compared to gta4. All the characters in the game were irritating and bored me to death. A mediocre fun open world game with some fun activities. Side missions were boring.
Bioshock 2 - A mediocre game with a better story than Bioshock Infinite. Fun gameplay but was extremely clunky. Way better than present fps except doom 2016

Ash

Arcane
You need your definition of fun checked out. It's defect. I suppose you think Skyrim is "fun" too?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom