Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Silverfish

Arbiter
Mass Effect however is absolute shit, please bro come on.

Some people never played Vanguard in ME2 or Engineer in ME3 and you hate to see it.

Ash

Arcane
Some people never played ME3 at all. Surprised I even gave the second game a chance after the first. I listened to the wrong people claiming it was good.

Naraya

Arcane
Half an hour ago I finished Homeworld (Classic) campaign for the first time.

I did not play this game on release. Funny thing - I remember pirating it, but then dismissing it as some silly, low-budget game with a wonky ships and no real UI (not to mention I had other things on my mind back then).

Boy, I am so glad that I gave it a second chance. This game just oozes atmosphere and mood, so I became pretty invested emotionally to the story even though it's pretty straightforward. I bet A lot of the emotions stemmed from the music which is brilliant, but that's a general consensus.

I had lots of fun trying different tactics or capturing enemies - introducing this mechanic was a novel idea that added a lot of depth to the gameplay.

Unfortunately - looks like this particular version has some issues. I had to restart one of the missions twice because the goals weren't being registered as complete, and overall during the campaign playthrough my game crashed to desktop 84 times (I counted the DMP files generated after each one). The last mission was definitely the worst - each time I destroyed one of the enemy capital ships, it CTD. I was getting quite annoyed and to be frank I didn't think I would be able to complete it. I've tried every possible solution to this problem posted online but nothing worked in my case. Eventually out of sheer desperation I used a spare SSD to install a fresh copy of Windows 10 and lo and behold - it worked with no issues.

Overall, to me it's one of the best and most unique RTSes (and THE best one that is space-themed) that I had a pleasure of playing. They don't make 'em like this no more.

:5/5:/:5/5:

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Finished Aliens TC for Doom. Now I wonder if I should replay AVP2, which it made me want to, or dive down the doomwad rabbit hole, never to return.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Tried a neat looking Deep Alchemy Dungeon demo, it was mentioned in an upcoming rpg thread.
SurvivalDungeonmZkYp.jpg

Reminded me somewhat another game i played on itchio that is now also coming to steam with a name of Sulphur Memories: Alchemist, only this one is an action rpg with some dark souls influences.
Rather than direct combat this game is more focused on navigating dungeon filled with instant death traps and monsters that will require crafted potions to overcome. Stuff like throwing an ice potion to pass through the fiery corridor or using a fire potion to burn away the wooden door/tough monster.
Found this game... not terrible but also not for me.

Gave a try to another little game called Grim Tides which was on my radar for quite some time.
The core systems of the game and character building are not too bad but i found it a bit too grindy. Too much time is being spent on using the same 2-3 abilites against the same enemies over and over again. Also, found lore/plot text to be too long and as such i didn't read it.

Last game i tried recently is Yi Xian: The Cultivation Card Game which is a free-to-play chinese game as you would have likely guessed from the name.
YiXianPaixcaJE4jfrb.jpg

Despite the "free-to-play chinese card game" part this game is actually an unexpected gem.
The core of the game is creating your deck, watch how well your deck does when your character dukes it out with other cultivator and adjusting your deck after the fight by adding new/exchanging old cards or sacrificing them to increase your cultivation rank until you a hit a breakthrough and unlock a next tier of cards.
There is four different sects with their own set of cards to choose from with multiple character in them to try out. Quite liked that one character from 5 elements sect who is focused on wood and water element cards, played with her in a roguelite mod and my final build ended up focusing on stacking the wave effect(deals extra damage each time a character perform an action) as high as possible and finishing the opponet off with a card that deals extra damage based on how high the wave effect is before this wave effect even triggers. All in all, plenty of cool builds to try here.

or dive down the doomwad rabbit hole, never to return.
As of late i love using gameplay mods together with various WADs in order to create a pseudo total conversion of sorts.
I can give a few recommendation of what i enjoyed or found interesting at least:
-Doom 2 Re-Build-T + Nobody told me about ID
-Duality + Extinction Warrior: Typhon
-Pagodia or Scythe + Demonsteele mod
-DBP57 Shatter Realm + Spawn: Path to Damnation + Project Malice enemy mod
-Netronian chaos + Bungle in the Jungle(this WAD actually comes with the mod)
-DBP52 Havoc in creation + Halo: Doom Evolved
-Remain 3 + Project MSX
-DBP12 Into the Storm + Combined Arms(Past Linked) + Malefactors Enemy mod(Revenants Archviles are extra annoying in this mod tho so past the early levels might be better without this mod)
-DBP58 Immortal Warfare + Call of Doom: Black Warfare(recently dev made a new version of the mod called Call of Doom: Tarkov, might be worth trying with this one)
-DBP40 Funnelcake Apparitions + Showtime!!!
-El Viaje de Diciembre + High Noon Drifter
-DBP36 Aquatic Wonder + BYOC mod(Gumboald)
-Waterlabs GZD + Pvt.Stone
-Doom 2 In City Only + Highway Acceleroid Booster
-Lunatic + Combined Arms Gaiden
-Auger Zenith + Psychic mod(didn't actually play it that way but i think this mod would fit perfectly)

I've gone back to FO1. Made an Unarmed character. The game is actually more fun this way and it's broken as fuck, it's kinda funny. Brass knuckles can make up to 12 damage (which means most things in the early game die in a couple of hits) and by the time you get the metal armor (when you rescue Tandi) it's a festival of "you were hit for no damage", including the classic "you were critically hit for no damage" line. The only thing is that I'm going to have to wait until the Hub to be able to sell all the guns I'm carrying and not using.

VonMiskov

Educated
Torturing my declining brain with immersive sims and puzzle games.

Just finished Supraland Six Inches Under :5/5:

Now playing Ctrl Alt Ego which is fucking fantastic and The Entropy Center where I got to timed puzzles and me be stupid and slow for'em.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Replayed KOTOR for the 7th time. (well, it was probably the 3rd, really)

I wanted to make it work in widescreen and look pretty, so I checked out the modding scene...

OK! Here's a comprehensive modding guide, of mostly the important stuff, no fluff mind you...

...COMPRISED OF ABOUT 2000 INDIVIDUAL TINY MODS YOU NEED TO DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL ONE BY ONE IN THE RIGHT ORDER.

:what: :rage:

What was that? Make a modpack? No siree ! Those modders need the download count and endorsements in their resumes for this 20y old game. :argh::argh::argh:

ANYWAY. After a whole day of installing mods. I somehow managed to not brick the installation, and actually make it somewhat pretty.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

I wanted to make it work in widescreen and look pretty, so I checked out the modding scene...

OK! Here's a comprehensive modding guide, of mostly the important stuff, no fluff mind you...

...COMPRISED OF ABOUT 2000 INDIVIDUAL TINY MODS YOU NEED TO DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL ONE BY ONE IN THE RIGHT ORDER.

What was that? Make a modpack? No siree ! Those modders need the download count and endorsements in their resumes for this 20y old game. :argh::argh::argh:

ANYWAY. After a whole day of installing mods. I somehow managed to not brick the installation, and actually make it somewhat pretty.

Not bad...
I see you didn't go overboard with the modding.
Some different armors in there too.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Some different armors in there too.
One of the best mods was one that improved the original clothing, giving it some semi-decent stats, so it could be used effectively instead of the dorky robes/armors. These new looking armors are the original clothes from character reskins.

I was running my mouth like a bitch and the game got me for it: halfway between Junktown and the Hub, I got a Super Mutant war party random encounter. They had fucking miniguns :salute: At the very least, I managed to blind one of them with an aimed punch to the eyes.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I think a lot more games should use sound design also as a game mechanic, like the classics Thief 1 and 2 did back in the day.
They have one of the better sound designs and atmosphere in gaming, especially Thief 1, with levels like Cragscleft, Down into the Bonehoard, The Sword and The Haunted Cathedral.
Sound passes through doors (better if it is a wodden door rather than a metal one) and you can lean onto a door to hear what is going on over there...
It's stuff like this.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Or the use of directional sound to locate enemies. Kind of nice for the immersion in FFP games.
Arena suffered from lack of it, and I was slightly disgusted by the lack if it in the otherwise excellent Serious Sam: The First Encounter.

Dr1f7

Scholar

wtf that mod list :negative:
looks nice tho
no mod to make bastilla tits bigger?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

wtf that mod list :negative:
looks nice tho
no mod to make bastilla tits bigger?
You know, all the females in Kotor are pretty thicc...
Especially if they are wearing armor (or the scoundrel clothing).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom