Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I discovered an annoying bug that the Gauntlets of Dexterity seems to give Dex +1, except the game doesn't seem to implement Dex >19: my Dex 19 Elf F/M equips the gauntlets and has Dex go up to 20 but there is no Dex bonus to Armor Class (i.e. the AC is worse with the Gauntlets equipped than without)?
I'm not 100% certain here, but according to 2nd Ed AD&D rules there are no bonuses gained from Dex 20 over Dex 19, meaning the bonus is identical for both values (+3 to missile attack values, and -4 to Armor Class). Dex 21 adds +/-1 to both, meaning +4 to missile attack and -5 to Armor Class, but Dex 22 and Dex 23 have those same values, meaning you'd have to get Dex 24 to get better bonuses.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I discovered an annoying bug that the Gauntlets of Dexterity seems to give Dex +1, except the game doesn't seem to implement Dex >19: my Dex 19 Elf F/M equips the gauntlets and has Dex go up to 20 but there is no Dex bonus to Armor Class (i.e. the AC is worse with the Gauntlets equipped than without)?
I'm not 100% certain here, but according to 2nd Ed AD&D rules there are no bonuses gained from Dex 20 over Dex 19, meaning the bonus is identical for both values (+3 to missile attack values, and -4 to Armor Class). Dex 21 adds +/-1 to both, meaning +4 to missile attack and -5 to Armor Class, but Dex 22 and Dex 23 have those same values, meaning you'd have to get Dex 24 to get better bonuses.

Correct, Dex 19 and 20 have the same bonuses you need to go to 21 to get extra

Untitled.png

Spukrian

Savant

Correct, Dex 19 and 20 have the same bonuses you need to go to 21 to get extra

Untitled.png
Yeah, I forgot that Dex 20 does nothing...

...but this means it's still a bug if AC goes from 0 to 5 when equipping the gauntlets (I can't remember the exact values and I can't double check yet because I need to replay the tomb).

EDIT: Hehe, my memory is terrible these days. I already have the Gauntlets of Dexterity in my inventory. Did a a quick test: putting the gauntlets on my F/M changes her AC from 3 to 7.

Last edited:

Gostak

Educated
Oof, I updated my Noita install and played a round of impending frustration. ;)
Got a cool build going quickly, vampirism perk and more blood, filled a potion with legit blood got some cool wands and spells.
Especially liked the find of a wand stacked with luminous drill with timer which made for a wall-piercing sniper.
Oh, did I mention I also had the sense enemy/enemy radar thingy perk ...

Yeah, quite an awesome build.
What did I die to just recently then?

In the swamp in the left at fungus area I sniped foes through walls and a big sea of blood formed above and my sniping drilled a narrow way there and I wanted to explore there.
Got stuck between pixels, the sniper-drill wand had not the best recharge and these damn light drills are thin so, it did not free me in time from drowning in all that blood that came down.
I drank my potion and sometimes there was an air bubble which let me catch some air but soon just blood again surrounding me in my stuck place, frantically shooting the wand, kicking "jetting" up, wiggling etc.
I forgot to whip out the empty bottle to have it soak up some of the liquid but I doubt that'd have saved me, there was soo much blood up there.
If you wanna check the gif (while it's still there, I guess; 22MB): https://gifyu.com/image/S5LpT

Now, if you could just drink while fully submerged ... but of course Noita will not have that, too little/ missed frustration potential then.
Well, sure drinking would also need to heal faster than the suffocation damaged which is unlikely, still would be nice (might require an extra button for it then though, instead of just "down").
Would have prolonged the bittersweet suffering if nothing else.

Lesson hopefully learned to be way more careful about such a situation should I get a similar build again.
But for now enough of its frustrations.

*grumble, grumble*

Last edited:

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
OverloadcuPybHpFm2.png

...and Overload is finally finished. Took me awhile.
Not a big fan of "enemies spawn right behind you and instantly start shooting after every switch you hit" thingie that became very common during the last few levels but i do appreciate the change of scenery.
Ended up regretting a few of my level-up choices, mainly not upgrading Reflex to it's maximum. Not the strongest weapon but the ability to hit behind corners is invaluable especially once the game starts throwing Auto-Ops with drillers or other similar ones you don't want to be in the line of sight of. I also didn't try any of the super upgrades for missile weapons.
Cyclone and Driller itself ended up being useless against the late game enemies. Fully upgraded Thunderbolt and Crusher were the MVPs on the other hand.

This game is good but it didn't make me want to try Descent. For now at least.

Gostak

Educated
I figured I did not negatively end enough decent roguelite runs today yet and continued the Unexplored Ripley Run I had going.
On the plus side I unlocked another two achievements in my continuation (which is some arguably optional, meta progress helping with future runs trivially each, but, yes these do add up to more so significantly here maybe, at least when you lack skill).
These are achievements that Steam says only a little over 1% of the players unlocked, which is baffling me. Guess the DLCs got quite neglected.
Also, was a nice experience facing the creeps (stepping in for aliens in this thematic DLC) with some variance to the usual shoot with repeater crossbow (stepping in as the pulse rifle).
Double-wielding minus -3 corroded (from their acid blood) great swords and striking out of hiding with surprise for re-added damage and throwing some explosion and incineration potions their way.
Blocking their way with a fire sconce which also set their emitted upon death stinky clouds on fire (there are various creep types).

Boy Unexplored 1 is varied, fun and awesome value for its money. For me at least.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Went through the Alien Breed trilogy via GOG. Must have been free at some point, because I don't remember buying them. Decent enough top down shooter. Good palette cleansers between longer games.

Most of my latest playing time has been spent on Undernauts: Labyrinth of Yomi. It's a decent dungeon crawler, which would probably suit new players to the genre. Overall, the game is very forgiving. I don't think that I have much left, at least not if I look at the trophies that are unlocked. I mostly have the same tactics for all encounters, except for bosses. There's only one risky thing in my party, and that is my main protag is a fencer. He has an ability that allows you to trade defense for offense, so if you haven't won an encounter quickly, you may get unlucky if he is hit. Combat itself good, but one of the easier drpgs that I have tried. I would say that exploration and soundtrack are very good. Story is there, but I don't really care much about it. It is in no way offensive, more standard fare.

Replaying different versions of Championship Manager 01/02 again. Played the 3.68 update, which has updated squads for the 02/03 season. I had forgotten that some of the transfers that got made had happened at that point. I also have the original 3.60 version, so I also booted up a save with Bilbao, took a look at their squad, and made a custom tactic for it. The clun can only buy Basque players, no foreigners, or only Spanish. Won the league by six points, and I want to try the tactic with another team, just or see if it was luck, or if it's actually good. I based it on the striker being physically strong, and then went from there, and it worked wonders for him.

Today, I also put in a few hours in Troubleshooter. Did five missions, reworked the training boards of my characters, and actually played around with their gear. I'm on a long vacation, so I hope to put in many hours into this. It will be my top priority after beating Undernauts.

My palette cleanser game is one of the Edna & Harvey games. The one where you play as the pig tailed blonde girl. Okayish adventure game. Nothing wrong with it, but my bet is that I will have forgotten all about it in a year or two.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Quit Ys Book 1 & 2 for PC Engine CD at the end. Game falls off pretty bad at Darm's tower, which is a 22 floor final dungeon that has one tileset, and one 2 minute music track. It's extremely repetitive and a little disorienting to go through.
Up until that it's enjoyable enough. I missed one item that I needed for progression, couldn't be bothered to backtrack 30 floors (since I have to go both ways) and couldn't cheat to get the item I needed so I could just finish the game, so I didn't.
Good set of games, loved them. I beat the Chronicles+ release of Ys I as well, should replay it and also beat II.

Yesterday I beat Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2's Final Episode. And today, I lowered the difficulty to Casual to beat the True Ending of the Final Episode.
What can I say, this is an amazing game. While purely an action platformer, there's some sparks of JRPG here and there, what with the multiple characters, the feeling of camaraderie, campfire scenes, and a fantastic ending.

Maybe in the future I'll try to get the True Ending playing on Veteran, but shit ain't easy.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I beat it on Veteran mode on my first try after my previous failed attempt. :obviously:
As I expected, the hardest thing was getting to the boss itself. Once you do that, and provided you understand how the fight plays out, it's not that hard at all. Took me two tries to beat the boss. My palms were sweating for the entirety of the fight, until I got to that point where you just know you are going to win if you don't fuck up too badly.

What a great game.

UAa9PSH.png

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Playing through Dark Messiah, half way through probably.

The game is kinda bad, really. The combat is the best thing about it and it mostly doesn't work. Might be a skill issue. Even with all the gimmicks it doesn't compare to something like Jedi Academy. Power attack is just not a fun mechanic, and the precision needed to hit something in the heat of battle is unrealistic. If your crosshair is not excatly on top of your opponent, you miss, even when performing a swing. It doesn't feel right.

The presentation is ok. Level design ranges from fine to cheap and annoying. Another annoying thing is the writing, clearly meant for 13 year old boys. That chick with short skirt is too much for me, I'm too old. It's not even funny, just bad.

I am having some fun and perhaps the combat will click eventually, but so far I can see why this game is not really consider a classic. A curiosity, sure, but flawed in too many ways.

Krivol

Magister
Dark Forces with The Force engine.

Is DF:Remastered worth it?
If you are smart enough to run Force Engine (so not that smart, it's quite simple actually) then no.

If it's an issue for you - then yes, it's worth it (e.g. - if remaster is the only way for you to play this masterpiece, then go for it! If not, why bother? FE is free...)

mushroomrain

Novice
I tried replaying Dark Messiah recently and I also didn't have too much fun with it. I think I got through about half of the game. The area design was nice, but the gameplay wasn't all that great.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Dark Forces with The Force engine.

Is DF:Remastered worth it?
If you are smart enough to run Force Engine (so not that smart, it's quite simple actually) then no.

If it's an issue for you - then yes, it's worth it (e.g. - if remaster is the only way for you to play this masterpiece, then go for it! If not, why bother? FE is free...)
The remaster really does a number on the original cutscenes.
I don't know about you, but I have remaster fatigue.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Just play the original and run it with whatever settings (and potential mods) you like.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Think four hours in, finding progression in Banjo Tooie a little more thoughtful than in Banjo Kazooie. Nice that they didn't take abilities away, like in so many sequels. Only gives you more abilities.

Last edited:
Dark Messiah to me was like sitting on a whoopee cushion. Pretty fun to kick Orcs down a flight or stairs or into a spike wall... the first time.

I'm playing Dishonored with the "Ultimate Difficulty Mod"(even on "Very Hard" difficulty the guards are as blind as moles and the extent to which you can expose yourself while leaning is ridiculous; thankfully, the mod goes a long way in solving this). It's like Thief and Deus Ex's child, but not as smart as the parents. There's pretty good level design throughout and some of the Augs Powers are fun to use, but seem to have no purpose other than to make the player feel like a superhero(Blink is so broken that I've decided to only use it to fast travel), which would've been fine if they'd innovated on the traditional Thief stealth formula; instead, they just copied Thief wherever they could, and that's just dumb. Good game, but still decline.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Valheim was on sale for €10, so a few bros asked me to get the game. Said and done, we spent 4.5 hours playing. A group of five close friends going on adventures, occasionally getting curbstomped, but actually managing to take down a troll, an abomination, clearing a dungeon or two, and taking on and defeating the first boss.
We did cheese the abomination with kiting, though. None of us had any flaming weapon, so we made him chase us around a fire geyser. It was like a scene from Benny Hill.

Lots of crafting, and building housing, which isn't real my thing, but I'll manage. We have several houses, and portals connect most of them. We build them close to farming spots.

The true chaos happened when we built a boat, and went into a swamp area, because that's where we met the bigger monsters, plus leeches, and poison blobs would mess us up.

Generally not my type of game, but fun enough if you play with friends.

I am also dabbling in Field of Glory II: Medieval. I've done a few battles, and it's a decent turn-based strategy game. Focusing mainly on conbat is good in my book. For now, I have only tried out custom battles, to get a feel for how the game is.

Ezekiel

Arcane
That Banjo Tooie fish boss in the locker, so annoying, so hard to navigate around him and aim and steer Kazooie as a torpedo (going through him like he's not there) while he's moving around. Then run out of feathers and have to go into FPV to aim with grenades, even harder I think. Swore so much when I thought it was over and then got another six weak points to shoot. Won't bother with him again.

Lordwoofakfak.jpg

Kabas

Arcane
Patron

Heard some people here be saying good things about this one.
Not really into complex city/factory builders so this game is a bit outside of my comfort zone. Keep messing up things and running out of critical resources, my last attempt ended up with my production grinding to a halt with me realising too late that i didn't stockpile enough dirt, meaning that i can't produce bricks which are required for construction tools which in turn are needed for pretty much everything i am trying to currently build. Note to self: set up a separate dirt mine early.
Still having fun figuring things out.

Also heard a lot of good things about this one.
You do a lot of jumping here. Not sure what to feel about platforming, backtracking you're forced to do from time to time(especially if you mess up certain jumps) is very annoying but i do enjoy the exploration aspect itself. There is a lot good rewards you can find if you decide to go off the beaten paths and search every nook and cranny.
Combat and class system are also enjoyable. Didn't encounter anything too fancy in terms of class abilities yet, my favourite class for now is probably rogue with those backstabs that can only hit if the enemy doesn't have any aggro on you. Combat places a lot more focus on aggro management compared to the other games in this genre that i've tried.
Playing on Normal because the game threatened that Hard will require grinding. Everything was too easy at first until i went deeper into the first dungeon and finally started encountering a bit more challenging enemies.

Beggar

Cipher
Spent close to 80h this month on Bloodborne. Three different endings and have 87% achievements without forcing anything, so I'm wrapping up. Finally got the DLC and that content is mandatory. It's best parts of the base game on steroids (whole focus on Lovecraftian stuff). Only playing it all at once convinced me that I like this game, I wasn't sure before that. On my first playthrough it felt a bit watered down compared to DS1 but most stuff is so subtly hidden that you might miss out. Too bad it's not on PC, any fromsoftware fan should at least try it.
Once again, this is by far the easiest and shortest game by that company. I mean there is very little stress, you can easily play it intoxicated, it won't affect much.
7/10 first two playthroughs
generous 8.2/10 with DLC :salute:

451682729-26037758685872147-247465434181592027-n.jpg

452605560-1034442561676578-1857837320909167122-n.jpg

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I finished Quake 2 and its expansions - The Reckoning and Ground Zero.

Funny, you get the Power Shield much later in the Ground Zero campaign. I guess the devs realized just how powerful that item is.
Ground Zero is also harder than the base game and The Reckoning.
Lot more enemies and those bloody turrets...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom