Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

BruceVC

Magister
I have decided to play BG1 EE, I checked out some mods but I dont see anything significant? I will update one of the official BG threads with my views as I progress in this game :cool:

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I have decided to play BG1 EE, I checked out some mods but I dont see anything significant? I will update one of the official BG threads with my views as I progress in this game :cool:
BG and BG2 are games that don't need mods imo. lvl1 npcs is nice but that's about all I ever use.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Titan Quest, the anniversary edition one.
Can't recall ever completing a hack'n'slash rpg even once in my life. I usually get bored long before reaching the endgame.
I started with the basic Warfare tree and branched into Nature to get those nymphs. Was a bit rough until i put enough points into wolfs but now things are looking fine, both skilltrees have a lot of good options to put my points into.

Not bored yet. Gameplaywise i kinda like it more than Sacred.

BruceVC

Magister
BG and BG2 are games that don't need mods imo. lvl1 npcs is nice but that's about all I ever use.
I recently played NWN1 EE and all the expansions and I only used 1-2 cosmetic mods. I generally mod all games but I have noticed with all the older AD&D games you dont really need to mod them or the mods just dont exist. On Nexus their arent many mods available anyway compared to other games like ES

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
After 14 months, I booted up Bravely Default II.

I finished a few side quests, and then I beat a main story boss fight, which awarded me the dragoon job.

I'm currently using two glass cannons, one tanky character, and a thief that deals an insane amount of damage. It's fun messing around with different setups. My setup might not be ideal, but it worked well for the boss fight. She only has physical attacks, but that was countered by a debuff that reduces said attacks up to 65% if used multiple times.

I might go after a few of the "super strong" enemies scattered around on the world map in my next session.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Finally finished Besiege.

Difficulty ramps up steadily but by the middle of the third island it gets really serious and you have to learn new ways of building your machinery. The last island is no fucking joke and the "ambush" mission had me stuck for hours. Had to look for help online. Otherwise I'm happy I've solved all other scenarii by myself. There are several achievements that are "finish mission x without using such block" that are very nice for additional challenge, I'm now gonna get'em.
Wonderful game. I really appreciate there are no limitation on block use, you're very free to fuck around as much as you want and it is refreshing. If the idea of building weird siege machines to lay waste to various nice places rings a bell for you, do give it a try.

:5/5: Nothing to take away. Perfect as it is, does few things but does them well.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, i am not gonna finish Titan Quest either.
After reaching Egypt i realised i don't enjoy my champion build and i don't wanna go through Greece again.
A few thoughts:
-Never played the orginal version but this game definitely looks very pretty.
-Class system and the excitement you get upon level-up, they definitely nailed this part
-Felt like the time between each level-up is a bit too long, i kinda dislike being stuck using the same two skills for a long time.
-A lot of time is spent fighting the same satyrs, centaurs and maenads over and over again. Methinks it's a missed opportunity to introduce blemmys or sciapodes.
-Dungeons and beastmen encampments all feeling samey doesn't help either
-The mythology lessons you get from certain NPCs is a nice touch

So, now i am trying the Grim Dawn. In terms of visuals i kinda prefer Titan Quest more.
I made necromancer/occultist for more summons and their buffs, but now i will be sticking mostly with my primary tree(Necro) before putting anything into the secondary one.
I like the introduction of the side-grades passives(like the one that changes your aether life leech spell into the ice one) and you seem to be leveling up a lot faster, granted i am playing on veteran.

Krivol

Magister
TQ is another game that is too big for its own good - it's getting boring in Egipt, and you still have so many chapters to finish...

Also, as someone mentioned somewhere - you need to walk a lot between mob groups (which probably makes the leveling-up issue you mentioned so visible).

GD with all add-ons have a similar issue (being too big), but fixed walking-too-much stuff.

Both games are great anyway, probably the best single-player N'n'S games.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Ace Combat Skies of Deception, which is a PSP Ace Combat game. Heard the game is short so i will probably finished it today, i got the game recommended here actually after playing Ace Combat Zero. I can see the game having a lot of replayability because every chapter you have a main objective ex "Take x city" but first you have to reach it, you have three routes to take and involves helping ground troops, the other interjecting a counter attack and other one stopping a delivery of supplies to the city you have to take. If you don't stop the counter attack one of yours citiesll be taken and you will have a mission to take it back, if you stop the delivery of weapons when you attack the city they won't we allowed to use a supper weapon etc these are just examples and not really what happens in game.

It's very solid for a portable game and if you like Ace Combat you should go for it.
167726-ace-combat-x-skies-of-deception-psp-front-cover.jpg

Playing Ace Combat laying in bed is great.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Beat UFO Aftermath, playing UFO Aftershock now.
It's different. There are a lot of new mechanics and interesting ideas, but they really spiked up the difficulty. Morelman, which used to be easy to kill with basic weapons in the first game, are now obscenely tanky, and the track mechanic is very poorly designed. They consume so much alien tech (why?) that if you try to link your bases you go bankrupt, so basically you're stuck on one base unless you get lucky and find more alien tech nearby.

The more I play the UFO series the more it occurs to me how much Phoenix Point was inspired by it.
The Pandoravirus mist is like the Biomass, the story and premise are very similar, you have those unseen enemy markers and it uses the same sort of non-linear weapon system where you want to use a mix of different weapon and damage types rather than "lol, plasma."

Curratum

Managed to bully two of my colleagues / friends into buying Deep Rock Galactic. Ended up playing until 3am last night. Good times.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Blowing through the Spiderweb catalogue. Finished all the Geneforges and I'm up to Avernum 3. I dunno if I'll have the stomach for the other games once I finish the Avernum series though.

Modron

Arcane
Exiles were better than Avernums; speaking of that, you should give original Nethergate a shot.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm very far in Tower of Time.
Is it good, should I try it?
Hey, man, sorry that I forgot to respond. It's pretty decent. It doesn't excel at anything, yet I wouldn't call it bad. If you like rtwp combat (more real-time-with-slowdown), with a party, there is some fun to be had. It's not a tower defense game by any means, but you do face waves of enemies. You get attribute points, like you would expect. Different skills, which can also be upgraded. You can respec at any time. You won't be able to level up your characters, until you find the right upgrade for their upgrade building. Itemization is decent, with different effects on gear and weapons. There are some hidden rooms, some (not very demanding) puzzles. The floors of the tower are basically dungeons. It's not a straight line, but fairly linear. Every floor has check boxes for how many things you have left on them. For me, if I had to score it, I'd probably give it a 7/10.

deuxhero

Arcane
Beat Sonic Adventure after over a decade of not touching it, using the modded PC version. 12 hours having done a bunch of side content but no Chao Garden. This is a great game wrapped in a shit game wrapped in an OK game wrapped in a bad remake that was even worse in the PC port before mods fixed it. There's no consistency in the quality. It's amazing one moment, then terrible the next. Even in Sonic stages you regularly run into issues with the camera and what I'm calling "Sonic's Crotch Segments"* and Light Speed Dash being something you have to charge to use. Almost the entirety of Tails' story is just rehashing segments of Sonic's (the final boss and one minigame are unique) with a time limit and a few new alternate routes. The smaller areas, three shard radar and clear directions make Knuckles mostly meh instead of the horrible they are in the sequel (which I have played relatively recently), but he has two puzzles that are just all bullshit (breaking the golden Sonic statue, which had me wandering around looking for a way to activate the ship cannons because at least those are visible when I'm actually supposed to attack a tiny crack the camera refuses to show you and wandering a maze till you find a key you need with zero direction). Gamma is actually really fun and I can see why that gameplay style was made more focal in the sequel, but all Gamma's levels except the last are just short segments of Sonic's levels and are already over by the time it gets really fun. Amy is... fine, but under developed (actually a lot more fun with modded physics so she faster). I don't really need to explain why Big is terrible because everyone has already done that. One really annoying flaw I do not see mentioned a lot though is the angle and range for talking to people and picking up objects is absurdly narrow, forcing you to be actually touching and at a very specific angle. Ring layouts are frequently anti-speed (a problem solved in SA2) forcing a choice between "collect rings" or "go fast" since they're often in mutually exclusive sides of a path and in rings instead of lines.

The plot follows the trend of really high peaks and really low bottoms. Sonic's signature personality is totally absent (his theme song starts with "I don't show off" for fucks sake) with nothing in its place and there's a lot of characters standing still talking when standing still is really stupid. The multi prospective view of the same events is neat, except when you're watching the same cutscene yet again (Remember, these weren't skippable in the original release). It does some neat things with the tools it has though.

Frequently:1/5:, mostly :3/5:, and occasionally:5/5:.

*You know how Crash was internally "Sonic's Ass" because your camera is constantly directly behind the main character? Well imagine that but the camera faces behind you so you have no idea where you're going. The Orca was cool because it's effectively a cutscene (as is the Gun Truck in 2 with an easy to get magnetic shield, the only instance I can think of there). Here you will miss rings and even run into obstacles you can't see.

Last edited:

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Baldur's Gate, but in French. I don't speak French. Still, I have already learned that save against ¿wand? is save against baguettes, and a halfling is a petite-personne. This is not a serious language.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Got bored of Grim Dawn shortly after my 20/16 skeletons wrecked the Warden boss.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Finished Ace Combat Skies of Deception. It's an amazing game for a PSP game and i had fun with it, is it one of the best Ace Combat games? No, but for a portable Ace Combat game it's really good. It's really worth playing on a portable console and the fact that you have multiple paths before reaching the main objective of each mission makes it extremely replayable.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Completed Alone in the Dark - The New Nightmare.

The good:
- it's a gorgeous looking game with one of the best 2d background art and lighting in the business (the only better ones are Resident Evil remake and Resident Evil Zero);
- the game has a pretty intriguing story with a ton of readables (some of which are so lengthy, the devs even highlighted important bits with a red color, so the lazy players who don't want to read couldn't get stuck on puzzles);
- the puzzles are very good, and feel like something you could see in a proper adventure game rather than in a survival horror/adventure hybrid.
- the game has a RE1/2-like two protagonist system (a dude and a gal), but unlike RE1/2, AitD4's campaigns are vastly different and were designed to accommodate each other. There are no plot contradictions, Edward and Aline solve different puzzles, encounter different enemies, and visit their own unique locations. Aline's campaign even features a Nemesis-like stalker miniboss.

The bad:
- Sadly, the actual survival gameplay kinda sucks. The enemy variety is low, the combat is braindead, level design leaves a lot to be desired, and the resource management is basically nonexistent since you get tons of ammo and your inventory capacity is unlimited;
- the game is really janky - hitboxes and collisions for items are badly aligned with 2d background, so it takes a while to find the sweet spot where you can interact with environment. Sometimes you can't go through a door even though your character stands right next to it. I don't remember having issues back when i played it for the first time many years ago on my first PC with WinXP on board, so maybe it's a compatibility (or an overly high FPS) thing;
- end game location is fucking horrible - looks like the devs ran out of funds, so they just slapped together a bunch of empty and linear caves where you mow down dozens of copypasted monsters;
- Edward Carnby looks like a hippie.

It's a neat adventure game with some janky survival elements slapped on top of it. If not for the abysmal last quarter of the game, I would've easily recommended it to all genre enthusiasts. Well, I actually do recommend it to genre enthusiasts - just stop playing once you get to the final stretch, and look up the ending on youtube.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
A few levels away from finishing Episode 4 The Birth in Duke Nukem 3D.
I love this game. Episode 2 was definitely the weakest IMO, if only because I grew tired of the spaceship setting.

I do admit I'm not as keen on certain weapons. In particular the proximity laser bombs, I haven't really used those. And the shrinker I used only when facing strong enemies. I should have probably rebinded the keys on some of the weapons, because I kept getting them mixed up compared to those of Doom.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom