Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Vyadhis

Learned
Also, if someone could help me: how do you go about making custom voice packs for the vanilla verion of BG1 or even BG2? I saw a guild somewhere for the EE on steam but I assume the method would work for regular BG2. I just want to make a voice pack of Scorpion saying "Get over here"/"Come here" in different tones with the odd clip of him going "SUCKERS" from the 2nd movie..I somehow remember that.
In your Baldur's Gate\Sounds folder there is a sndlist.txt that tells you what to do.
It worked perfectly.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Just completed Halo 4. Definitely the shortest of the bunch, but also has the most variety in terms of levels. The story is decent, but the whole thing ends with a bunch of threads unanswered and a bit underwhelming (like what happened with the Arbiter?). Also, the story also seemed to rely a lot more on "space magic" than I remember the other ones doing. Gameplay-wise this was the most fun I'd say and it looks pretty good. I'm not sure Halo Infinite is worth playing though (it really looks like they did Cortana dirty) and the reviews are pretty bad. Overall I had fun with the collection, and I'd probably replay 2 and 3 at some point.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Been playing some Half-Life.
I have yet to finish Hitman 2: Silent Assassin, I am currently at the first mission in Hindoostan. I will try to avoid the RAMBO approach I took in the last two Afghanistan missions...

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Finished fifth mission in The Case of the Golden Idol. First two missions had me wondering what was the point of all that racket, glad I've stuck with it, it is getting clever and very satisfying.

Erebus

Arcane
Currently replaying Portal. It remains an enjoyable game, and the writing - though sparse - is excellent. Once I'm done, I'll finally play the sequel ; I hope it doesn't disappoint.

I can never play for too long, as I get motion sickness rather easily with first-person view games, especially when they involve a lot of three-dimensional movement.

AlwaysBrotoMen

Educated
Finished Jedi Survivor,

+++World building and environments. Better than Jedi fallen Order

World Traversal becomes boring after a point. Too many repetitive puzzles.
Mediocre combat but fun.
Mediocre OST.

Negatives:
--Animations are not done properly.
--- Story is rehased from Mass effect 2 .Boring main quest. Overrated Star wars stories.
--- Side quests sucks and boring.
---- Game not polished
-- Typical Disney bullshit story
-- Horrible villains and their motivations.
--- Dark Vader sucks
--- One of the worst characterizations in any star wars game.

Not worth playing it for a full price. But better than Jedi Fallen Order

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Finished Jedi Survivor,

+++World building and environments. Better than Jedi fallen Order

World Traversal becomes boring after a point. Too many repetitive puzzles.
Mediocre combat but fun.
Mediocre OST.

Negatives:
--Animations are not done properly.
--- Story is rehased from Mass effect 2 .Boring main quest. Overrated Star wars stories.
--- Side quests sucks and boring.
---- Game not polished
-- Typical Disney bullshit story
-- Horrible villains and their motivations.
--- Dark Vader sucks
--- One of the worst characterizations in any star wars game.

Not worth playing it for a full price. But better than Jedi Fallen Order
Have you played the Jedi Knight series?
If not, then you should.

CHEMS

Scholar
I did a full run in a underrated gem for the N64 called Aydin Chronicles. The guys from the subreddit r/Aydin also did a great job reverse engineering the game releasing some rebalancing mods for extra challenge

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm still chugging along in Baldur's Gate III, and Like A Dragon: Ishin!

In the former, I am about to hit level 9. I think that I need another enemy kill to get there. There have been some fun fights, for sure. I haven't allowed myself to cheese surfaces and such. I am mostly playing it with the powers my characters have, with only some cheesing if in trouble. In my MP run, the cheese is everywhere. We're doing a murderhobo run.

In the latter, I have beaten chapter 10. Most side quests are already done (85% complete), so I will mostly be doing story stuff until I reach the point of no return before I do more side activities. Pretty much been overleveld for the past ten hours. Once you unlock a lot of moves for each style, you can do lots of fun combos, and finding new heat actions is always fun.

I started Bionic Commando (the 3D one made by GRIN) the other day. What a beautiful idea for a game. What mediocre execution. It's like that meme "we got it at home" meme. This time it's: We got Spiderman at home. Controls aren't great, which should be top priority for a game like this. I will beat it, and I do not hate it, but the concept should have been turned into at least an 8/10 game, but it is at best a 6/10.

I don't remember if I sad that I beat INSMNIA: The Ark, but I did. It is one of the buggiest experiences I have ever had. While I didn't hate it, despite that, I cannot with a good conscience recommend it to anyone.

Jinn

Arcane
I don't remember if I sad that I beat INSMNIA: The Ark, but I did. It is one of the buggiest experiences I have ever had. While I didn't hate it, despite that, I cannot with a good conscience recommend it to anyone.
Hard game to hate, but also a hard one to truly like. Lot of wasted potential there.

Ezekiel

Arcane
If I brought back Crazy Taxi, I would have the customers stand facing the direction that they want to travel in. The map from the arcade is brutal in pushing you back into the downtown area over and over and leaving all those customers on the beach, hills and single story commercial areas. That's why I prefer the original map added for the Dreamcast. It's more open, doesn't have so many chokepoints.

CrypticChronomancer

Barely Literate
I am not wasting time on a mere game, my friend. I am dancing on the razor's edge of existence, traversing digital realms where reality blurs and destiny takes shape. The game is not just a pastime; it is a battleground of wits, a canvas for creativity, a crucible of challenges that test the limits of my intellect and resolve. It's a world where I forge alliances, defy odds, and carve out a legend. So, you see, it's not a waste of time—it's a pursuit of immortality in the realm of pixels and code.

Ah, you seek the name of the game that fuels my relentless pursuit of digital glory. But alas, I cannot be confined to a single title, for I traverse a myriad of virtual realms. Whether it be the mystical realms of "Elder Scrolls," the futuristic battlefields of "Cyberpunk 2077," the strategic depths of "Civilization," or the fantastical landscapes of "The Witcher," I am an enigma that transcends the boundaries of any one game. My quest for digital supremacy knows no bounds, and my prowess is honed in a multitude of worlds. So, my friend, the name of the game is but a mere detail in the grand tapestry of my gaming odyssey.

BruceVC

Magister
I completed King Arthur Wargame Druids DLC after about 35 hours, it was worth it and has the best mechanics of the original game and some new features

I have really enjoyed my sojourn in the world of RTS and I am seriously considering another one, maybe one of the Kings Bounty?

But that will be later, Im playing Fallout 1 next. I have never played this classic and Im looking forward to my return to the Wasteland :cool:

Vyadhis

Learned
Played more of my SCS file in BG1, loaded a previous save and decided I wanted to use Monty instead of Imoen for my thief. I wanted to play Armored Core 6 but had a hillarious controller glitch. Got to the first mission's boss, my controller stops taking input, I get blown up pretty fast and controller starts vibrating like crazy. Set it down on my table, close the game via task manager and I just watch the controller shake on its own for a full 3 minutes. Wtf? Is this a known bug or is it time to replace my controller?

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Finished the Case of the Golden Idol.
It was disappointingly short and un-disappointingly very fun and well made. Very well written story that is satisfying to uncover, nice atmosphere and experience overall.
Good stuff, however as being well below my acceptable price to time ratio I would advise to get it on sale.

Erebus

Arcane
Started playing Portal 2. The writing is definitely just as good as in the previous game.

The jokes about the post-apocalyptic setting are especially funny :

Good-job getting this far, future-starter. That said, if you are simple-minded, old, or irradiated in such a way that the future should not start with you, please return to your primitive tribe and send back someone better-qualified for testing.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Finished the Case of the Golden Idol.
It was disappointingly short and un-disappointingly very fun and well made. Very well written story that is satisfying to uncover, nice atmosphere and experience overall.
Good stuff, however as being well below my acceptable price to time ratio I would advise to get it on sale.
Do the DLCs, they're good too.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am not wasting time on a mere game, my friend. I am dancing on the razor's edge of existence, traversing digital realms where reality blurs and destiny takes shape. The game is not just a pastime; it is a battleground of wits, a canvas for creativity, a crucible of challenges that test the limits of my intellect and resolve. It's a world where I forge alliances, defy odds, and carve out a legend. So, you see, it's not a waste of time—it's a pursuit of immortality in the realm of pixels and code.

Ah, you seek the name of the game that fuels my relentless pursuit of digital glory. But alas, I cannot be confined to a single title, for I traverse a myriad of virtual realms. Whether it be the mystical realms of "Elder Scrolls," the futuristic battlefields of "Cyberpunk 2077," the strategic depths of "Civilization," or the fantastical landscapes of "The Witcher," I am an enigma that transcends the boundaries of any one game. My quest for digital supremacy knows no bounds, and my prowess is honed in a multitude of worlds. So, my friend, the name of the game is but a mere detail in the grand tapestry of my gaming odyssey.
Bring back bullying!

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In the latter, I have beaten chapter 10. Most side quests are already done (85% complete), so I will mostly be doing story stuff until I reach the point of no return before I do more side activities. Pretty much been overleveld for the past ten hours. Once you unlock a lot of moves for each style, you can do lots of fun combos, and finding new heat actions is always fun.
When you get to premium adventures, tell me if we can change costumes, or is Ryoma stuck with that jacket combo forever.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Squad based (minimum two members) FPS/3rd person set during the Vietnam war.
Can be pretty rough if you go gung ho, you need to use stealth/sneaking which are not that greatly implemented.

Borelli

Arcane
I finished The Elder Scrolls: Battlespire couple of days ago. Here are my thoughts on it.

I am one of those crazy people who genuinely enjoys Daggerfall dungeons, so i thought to myself i must love Battlespire then? Well, yes and no.
The first impressions were not good, while i agree with the general sentiment that the game has good exploration and atmosphere, the engine is a bit weak.
Jumping makes me stuck, why cannot i climb small ledges while i could climb whole city walls in Daggerfall?
Swimming is ridiculously fast, jumping is sometimes diagonal sometimes not etc.
All in all i kept thinking to myself, "Thief engine could be great for this type of game".
Also the inventory interface is horrible, i don't understand why not just copy the Daggerfall one and improve upon it.

My first character was a pure fighter, which was a bad idea because of no resting and RNG combat, this left a sour taste in my mouth but couple of weeks later i decided to replay except give myself mana regen ability and a heal spell. This made the first level much easier without spoiling the fun because strangely, i never once had to just sit and wait for mana regen, always something new to explore.
Late game it was unnecessary since i had 20+ mana and hp potions, i think if i would replay the game now i could do it
without mana regen (knowledge of healing crystals also helps) but for a first playthrough it really helps.
My character ended as fighter/archer since archery is so good in this game because of 100% hit rate (i think missile skill only increases rate of fire?)
I could not imagine playing a pure wizard, spells are ridiculously rare to find, and with AOE spells you are more likely to kill enemies than yourself.

Speaking of AOE spells, the Codex review was not lying when it said that AI is horrible, getting stuck in walls and killing itself with spells.
Luckily as a dungeon crawler combat is not the main focus so i could let it slide.

Level design was pretty good, highlights were level 1, anything with underwater caves and level 5 (open ended island where you are hunted).

In the end, a :3/5: game. Lots of good stuff but bad stuff keeps it down. Now i'm in the mood for some more first person real time dungeon crawlers.

Last edited:

Shin

Cipher
I'm on a bit of a nostalgia tour (probably not unusual for this crowd) and thus, after having finished Thief: Gold, I went on to play and finish Thief II: The Metal Age.

Oh boy, it's been long since I've been so engrossed in a game. While I understand the appeal of the horror themed levels in TDP, I simply never liked 'em. TMA however, has so many awesome levels (Shipping.. and Receiving, First City Bank and Trust, Blackmail, etc) which elevated the experience and (re)cements TMA as my favorite Thief game. I wholeheartedly recommend anyone to replay TDP and TMA if you haven't replayed them in a decade or so.

After finishing TMA I went on to Thief 3... and noped out during the first mission. When it came out I seriously despised T3 for its consolification but I gave it a chance when T4 came out a turd and actually finished a few missions. Mostly because I want to experience the 'Robbing the Cradle' mission that is often lauded as one of the best/iconic designed missions in video games. The discrepancy between the first two games and T3 is however, jarring, especially so if one has just finished Thief II...

sooo, I bought Gothic 1/2/3. Obviously I've played them back in the day but I never fully replayed Gothic 1, nor did I ever play Night of the Raven (blasphemy!). After 30 ish hours, I just finished Gothic 1 (seriously, fuck that Mad Cor Kalom guy and his stunlocking magicks) and I'm eager to continue on to Gothic II.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom