Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is it about BioWare...

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
Voss said:
I did expect to get stuck with the main quest...but on the other hand, I was annoyed that I had the pointless option of refusing 5-6 times, only to be stuck with it anyway.

That sounds almost like a console game. No, wait, that's definitely like one.

Actually i was reminded of the NES's Dragon Warrior 1, where when the princess asks you if you love her or not, you have to say yes. If you say no, she'll keep repeating, non-stop, "But thou must!", prompting you back to the Yes/No answer to her question.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Just to point out, I beleive the balisk's stone gaze is permenate if you play hardcore dnd rules. I never found out because I never got stoned except in one case where it is manatory in a very interesting twist.

I like the review Voss. I agree with a lot of it - like the starting part being almost eactly like the NWN original OC. However, I must say, I didn't have the problems you did with AI; at leats not as extremely anyways.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the fact that the interlude, and ch2 while having some interetsing stuff in them, aren't as open and free as ch1.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Volourn said:
Just to point out, I believe the basilisk's stone gaze is permanent if you play hardcore dnd rules. .
Well, you could get stoned in BG1, and I actually liked this feature... But one needed not fear too much, because by that point in the game Jaheira had Petrification Resistance you could cast on your punchers.
And trolls should definitely be killable only ba fire/acid etc. Even BG2 had this, IIRC.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
VD: LOL :lol: That was too easy.

Elwro; I agree about the trolls.

Voss said:
Admittedly the villains are a bit more interesting and you do have different options with some of them- you can buy off the dragon, persuade it (yes, persuasion has an actual effect), or kill it (with the help of an absurdly powerful artifact you get off the other villain, which disappears from your inventory when you leave chapter 1 so you might as well use it)

Good God almighty. Now they've got you killing dragons in Chapter 1? I thought the OC was bad enough about that. Dragons /= cannon fodder.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Elwro said:
Volourn said:
Just to point out, I believe the basilisk's stone gaze is permanent if you play hardcore dnd rules. .
Well, you could get stoned in BG1, and I actually liked this feature... But one needed not fear too much, because by that point in the game Jaheira had Petrification Resistance you could cast on your punchers.
And trolls should definitely be killable only ba fire/acid etc. Even BG2 had this, IIRC.

Of course, if you didn't want Jaheira in your group, you were screwed. I always felt that you were expected to pick some characters, even though you had the option not to.

Voss

Erudite
I didn't mention the interlude and ch2 yet, because I haven't actually finished them.
I'm almost done with the interlude- and yeah closed nature of it
On a map until you finish the quest, then you move to the next map and finish it's quest, then... creates a definite lack of choice issue.
I had mixed feelings about The Mummy ripoff quest. Aspects of it were defniitely interesting...others didn't make any sense. Hey a temple of Lathander out in the middle of the desert, ministering to people that don't worship lathander. (They, in fact, have their own sun god that they hate with a holy passion and is the great evil of their pantheon)

As for killing the dragon- I found it fairly tough the time I tried it, though a lot of that was my character (a 5th level monk/ 1st level assassin with a +3 BAB). I had to use the special uber item from the other villain of the chapter to defeat the dragon. And while there are a lot of boosts from the item (stats, AC, HP), it doesn't give you extra attacks. So it became a contest of who could do ~150 hp of damage the fastest and I had 3 less attacks per round than the dragon...

I actually wanted to bribe the dragon into giving me what I wanted, but that turned out to be rather bugged. In order to bribe it, the game spawns a chest you can put treasure in. But when the chest spawned, it was at the dragon's feet, and both are immobile. I couldn't get to the opening space in front of the chest in order to put things in it. So it wasn't an option for me, because of a stupid spawning bug.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
One must remember the dragon is quite young, and white to boot.

I didn't find the bug you mention as I agreed to do his quest for him to get what I seek.

Okay, I just want the two of you to take a step back. Now take a deep breath. Now say to yourself, "I just beat a dragon with my 6th level character, with my uber-munchkin artifact of doom. He was young, but that's not the point. This game is silly."

Sabotai

Liturgist
Walks with the Snails said:
Okay, I just want the two of you to take a step back. Now take a deep breath. Now say to yourself, "I just beat a dragon with my 6th level character, with my uber-munchkin artifact of doom. He was young, but that's not the point. This game is silly."
It's an unwritten rule: in every fantasy CRPG a dragon has to be present, no matter the lenght of the campaign. Next we''ll see a level 1 character battling dragon hatchlings, 5 minutes out of their eggs.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Constipated Craprunner said:
13 foot tall reptile with wings that can spit out fire is silly
It's not the point, but if you are looking for something silly, a sword +1 vs goblins is silly, prestige classes are silly, Blood Mother is silly, a dragon as in a creature existing in many mythologies is not silly.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Huh, Snails? You must of spied on the wrong person's game. I never beat a dragon with my character in SOU. Please don't spread rumours. Plus, everyone knows that the player got help (not counting the henchman) in battling the dragon. Not to mention, players can take advanatgeof various reloads to beat it; and not to mention the AI of crpg creatures. In reality, you don't beat any creature ina crpg. You beat an AI deficient creature.

Voss

Erudite
Sabotai, just so you feel better there is a cave full of dragon hatchlings that you can fight.
White and red hatchlings to boot, which makes no sense, and no where near the one dragon that is actually in the game, so its not exactly clear where they came from.

As a point of interest the time to rats (an amusing concept I stumbled across on some forum) in SoU is about 5-10 minutes, depending on how long it takes you to go through the initial dialogue/looting your mentor's house phase. (Once you go outside, there are a few rats around the back of his house)

Oh- a minor gripe- I killed an NPC in chapter one (the halfling gypsy fortune teller) no one noticed, which was fine since she was alone in her wagon, but she turned up alive and well in the interlude.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Voss said:
I killed an NPC in chapter one, but she turned up alive and well in the interlude.
It's a miracle! :shock: Did you praise the Lord? :lol:

Sabotai

Liturgist
Voss said:
Sabotai, just so you feel better there is a cave full of dragon hatchlings that you can fight.
White and red hatchlings to boot, which makes no sense, and no where near the one dragon that is actually in the game, so its not exactly clear where they came from.
Somehow that doesn't make me feel better. What were they thinking? Oh, I think I know. As BioWare's old "monsters and 13wt" adage has it: "One dragon = good, more dragons = more times as good."

Astromarine

Erudite
V&V, there's something I don't understand. How can you still *like* the game when at this point you're even agreeing with most of the gripes the traditional NWN-haters are shooting off? I mean, what the hell is *left* after all the quest inconsistencies, forced linearity, etc?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Voss said:
Oh- a minor gripe- I killed an NPC in chapter one (the halfling gypsy fortune teller) no one noticed, which was fine since she was alone in her wagon, but she turned up alive and well in the interlude.

Minor gripe? That's pretty half assed. Then again, this is a problem with the Aurora engine.

Psilon

Erudite
Not with the new "persistent storage" they've been hyping. That was just sheer laziness. They could easily have added a few lines of scripting in for the relevant NPCs. But they didn't.

I mean, come on, it sure beats having one page of inventory filled with state items.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Really, Voss? That is definitely lame. Heh.

I agree, SP. That is why with the mod I'm making; it is one module; not three in one. What BIO *should* do for the next one is create the campaign, and place it as one module period.

Astromarine, simple, despite it's blatant weaknesses, there are a lot of things about NWN that I like. I know that's hard to udnerstand from way up high on the mountain; but 'tis is true.

Voss

Erudite
Yeah sadly, I had to chalk up to 'not realizing people would try to kill NPCs'

Though not killing NPCs when providing two evil-only prestige classes (and well, the prospect of the unwashed hordes killing everything in sight, because thats what they do)

Of course, going into chapter 2 as a statute being carted off by a band of Jar-Jar wannabees and then having to clear out the 'City of Golems and Spiders' was... well insert your favorite string of expletives here.

Though the nested quests inside the books in the library was interesting if thoroughly unexplained. Though getting locked in nested time stops (cast, for some reason, by a small storm cloud) was less than interesting.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
I actual;ly like the ending of the inerlude, and beginning of ch2. It was more interetsing than most games' "twists".

Rosh

Erudite
Role-Player said:
Personally, i won't criticize a company that harshly because i have no right to criticize a company if i'm not involved in the same medium they're in. This isn't to say i won't point out a companies' mistakes - but i won't go as far as bashing them because somehow my personal expectations were not met, i think i'm fairly above that.

Congratulations, you're precisely the impotent chimp BioWare looks for in a suck...err...consumer. You're also part of the biggest problems of the gaming industry to date.

As far as the rest, you seriously need to get out a bit more into some real role-playing. I wouldn't even dare to try and force the group I play with to experience anything as banal and cookie-cutter as the uninspired crap that BioWare shovels out. Try playing Ultima 7 sometime for a very good example of a bright game world.

Aside from the self-fellating interviews and other releases by BioWare, check out this. Yes, that twit is supposedly what passed for a BioWare "developer", especially obvious when he really has no clue about what is involved with cohesive development for multiple character types. Hence, that is why BioWare's work neatly falls into the aforementioned cookie-cutter methods. This is especially evident when you can get to the point with "unfeasable characters" like Sawyer even claimed were possible in Fallout and Fallout 2. Back in reality, Fallout 1 at least allowed you to go through tasks in a number of ways. What choices do you have in BioWare games? That's right. Fuck speech or anything like that, it's time to min/max your ass because that is essentially all that matters to them. Don't forget to pick up your complimentary CHA 18 magic ring on your way out into the wilderness.

Prov is right. Baldur's Garbage would have tanked like what it's considered by many - a shitty half-Diablo half-Fallout clone, possessing little of what made either game fun to play, going with an uninvolving combat system, and tossing in Drizzt and other characters for nothing more than fanservice.

I see people criticize the Infinity Engine on various levels when the only criticizable thing there i can see is the pathfinding, hands down.

Then you need to open your eyes. Your hands might be down, but your head is up somewhere else. AI, pathfinding, poor combat, bastardizing many of the rules, extremely limited interactivity with the environment, and about everything Prov mentioned as well.

Let's also not forget the annoying games of "hunt the pixel" to search for containers/etcetera.

On the real time issue... i had a debate with other users on various forums. I know that it makes perfect sense to have combat in TB mode when the game in question comes from a PnP system. I know it has to be TB because that how it works in PnP, otherwise the players and specially the DM would lose track of what happens. However, how many people would have the time and patience to click endlessly in a game just to make it move? The real time factor of the engine makes it so combat doesn't become boring.

Funny, I thought staring at the screen while doing nothing but waiting for something to require pausing the game again is a hell of a lot more boring.

On that expectations thing... what i meant was, that everywhere i go, all i see is people criticizing various games because they didn't managed to meet their expectations. Im not against having expectations around a game, but seeing unnecessary, rude, and flaming comments against a developer because X fans wanted Y thing but got Z thing instead, irks me. That's all. If what was promised wasn't delivered, its fair to criticize. But thats where the fairness ends regarding flaming atittudes. I for one, would never call the developers mother******s, or tell them to go f*** themselves. I think thats uncalled for. Not mentioning the janitor jokes

Yup, just as I thought. A nice, complacent consumer without any spine to believe that pig in a poke hype developers should get what they deserve. Hell, Gold Box was better than the IE games in many ways. Yet BioWare keeps crowing and crowning themselves kings at every turn. Their only saving grace is that they had D&D and Forgotten Realms. Without the inevitable fanboys those bring, BG would have been an uninspired pile of trash and more people would have said as much. is it any wonder why TORN was canned, aside from some incredibly poor decisions at IPLY/BIS? it was because it was really nothing special at all, instead following along high fantasy.

While you are being nice-nice to the developers, you're being ignored. There's many cases of where those who posted critical bug reports to the official NWN forums would have the topic locked or deleted, and some were banned. In most cases, they would try to hide the problem, using "This should be sent into the bug report email addy" as some kind of validation to hide whatever they want. Yet those topics with vitriol would get the attention of the developers rather quickly as it waves a bright red bullshit flag that others can see and only spells problems for BioWare if they were to make those "vanish", much like IPLY is feeling some kicks to the ass because of their methods.

Sorry to break it to you like this, but if nobody treats lacking quality as pariah-worthy evidence, then there would be nothing but regurgitated bullshit floating around the industry. Oh, hey, that is already happening because of the mindless fanbois slobbering over the developers for their next munchkinfest, and then there's apologists like yourself who are too neutered to be of any care to BioWare. Do you think you matter to BioWare or any other company with a nice smile but telling them something is wrong? Sorry to break reality to you again, but at that point you're nothing more than a prison bitch with your money in their hands. Do you think you matter anymore to them after that? You're on some serious drugs or grievous head injuries if you think you do. Well, I guess BioWare might have some care for you; you're little more than a bit more cash in their pocket and spin-doctoring over forums.

I've seen work that easily tops their crap aside from a shiny user interface. That was also about 15 years ago, and Ultima 7 still kicks BioWare's work down pretty hard, retroactively, in terms of world design. Troika's work provides a hell of a lot more playstyles and paths to be taken in the game than "click through speech options until you get to combat" that generally stands for BioHype's work.

You might be impressed with BioWare's work, but I've come up with better ideas while taking a shit.

Sabotai

Liturgist
In this BioWare thread the original poster writes about a fictional BioWare designers meeting. He brings it as a joke, but while reading it I got the feeling he was dead serious. For myself, I really think this is how BioWare does it's NWN design work. David Gaider doens't seem to appreciate the humor. And as for the dragons, I think this guy was spot on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom