Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's an RPG you'd like to see made?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I thought of another game I'd like. There was a game in 1989 called Midwinter which was mind blowing, way ahead of other games. At that time a lot people were playing things like Mario and Double Dragon, and Midwinter was a first person, open world, action FPS/RPG hybrid, with vehicles and great plot and characters etc. It also had a great movement method. It is set in a snowy mountainous tundra region (post apocalypse which I never knew at the time), and you trudge about like those alpine skiing sports people. If it is flat or uphill then you run, but whenever you are going downhill you ski, smoothly and quickly and it's awesome.

It makes travelling actually fun, and it feels faster (although the distances are huge so it's still a big place to explore), and it matters too, you can crash and get injuries, and you can be attacked by enemies in aircraft or in snowmobiles and things. But you can get vehicles too, you explore this huge area looking for allies or supplies. Some places are deserted, some NPCs are too scared to get involved, some want to help join the cause and offer everything they have including their vehicles. The snowmobiles are more like tanks with tracks that you can drive, fast too. And it has rockets. You could even go high up into the mountains using tourist like chair lifts, and there was a hang glider up there. You could then fly towards your location on that!

I love everything about it although I would change a few things. It would be amazing just redone in a modern engine. But I'd love to improve and tweak some things, flesh some parts out. One thing I'd probably change is the length of the game. When I first played it I was so young and clueless, it took me hours to get anywhere and then I got killed and had to start again. I liked that it was a long term goal, it felt like JA2. But once I figured things out, you can savegame/load and the whole mission could be done in about an hour or less anyway once you know the game. It was fun to replay because it was different depending on where you started in this huge region, you'd see different people/locations on your way to the objective. But I'd change that aspect of the game, make it so you can't save or load (persistent instead like Minecraft/Rust/Whatever), and it would be a huge long adventure like a traditional RPG length, 20+ hours. Either that or keep it about an hour each time, but it would need clever procedural changes to the world each time.

Last edited:

Herumor

Scholar
A pure pipe dream would be a Technocracy RPG set in the World of Darkness. Playing as either Iteration X or the Void Engineers would be a blast, but the key thing would be to give them credible threats that couldn't be just blasted away with the power of science™.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
It makes travelling actually fun, and it feels faster (although the distances are huge so it's still a big place to explore), and it matters too, you can crash and get injuries, and you can be attacked by enemies in aircraft or in snowmobiles and things. But you can get vehicles too, you explore this huge area looking for allies or supplies. Some places are deserted, some NPCs are too scared to get involved, some want to help join the cause and offer everything they have including their vehicles. The snowmobiles are more like tanks with tracks that you can drive, fast too. And it has rockets. You could even go high up into the mountains using tourist like chair lifts, and there was a hang glider up there. You could then fly towards your location on that!
Not that I don't want a remake of Midwinter, I very much do. Even better would be a remake of its sequel. But what I want most of all is just a game that can copy the way traveling feels in that game. The actual combat in that game is really crap and trying to play it "seriously" will get you killed, but moving around in that game. Wow. That just gives off an unparalleled feeling of speed, even if its technically not so fast. I'd just take a skiing game done in that style, but the whole thing was just beautiful.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yeah it was awesome. The game was too primitive to have roaming enemies but it would be great to have people at the locations instead of just buildings that you enter. That way you could snipe and stuff, which is good with skiing, you can arrive at places quietly. I have been so tempted to make an cool new version of it in Arma3, but no skiing sucks. And it would need a custom map.

There was also a Delta Force game I loved and I would combine that in there too, and Hidden & Dangerous. I loved the parts where you go inside buildings and sneak about looking to set up C4 somewhere while there are guards in their barracks or whatever. And if you fight your way through, throwing grenades and causing mayhem, then all the enemies attack at once. Or you could go stealthy and kill all the guards quietly and have less mayhem. And make it smarter like H&D, so yes to giving the player a rocket launcher, grenades, C4, silenced sniper rifle, and silenced pistol all in your magic backpack. But very limited ammo, so you have to play smart on the mission.

Last edited:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Darklands-like made by competent nerds and turn based. Possibly during the 1st Crusade or in the crusader states in the middle east in 1100s. Or alternatively in 15th century Europe, possibly Empire, maybe Poland, Hungary, basically Central Europe.
Your party would be made of a knight and his retinue, a squires, 1 or 2 men-at-arms, a page, etc... not just a random group of murdering hobo but murdering in late medieval Europe instead of fantasyland nr 274. Tactical combat. The goal would be not to save the world but either make money / gain land / gain titles and being an asshole about it if choosing so. Or alternatively gain salvation by knightly and Christian deeds from fighting the infidels to helping orphans and the poor and building churches and so on. But still not dying from starvation yourself. A point system that when finished the game would tall you how you did, ended a beggar, the most powerful noble in the kingdom or maybe proclaimed a saint after death. Stuff like that. Idea from Microprose games from the 80s and early 90s.

Alternatively but similar idea, adaptation of a Potato pnp system "Dzikie Pola", action in the Commonwealth in early or mid 17th century.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
F.A.T.A.L. Fantasy Adventure to Adult Lechery adapted into a CRPG

f003pA3.png

Data4

Arcane
A Discworld RPG set in a fully realized Ankh-Morpork. You've got a whole host of factions to choose from in the guilds or City Watch.

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
Darklands with more pixels, without any other "improvement."

A single character first person dungeon crawler with old school Magic the Gathering-like combat.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Any sort of MTG RPG would be amazing, a lot of people have wanted it for a long time but we get nothing. There was an MTG MMO that seemed fun but it was expensive because WOTC and SOE were greedy retards. But a single player dungeon crawler would be awesome too. The nearest we get is Slay the Spire and similar lame indie Fisher Price versions of what we should have.

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
Any sort of MTG RPG would be amazing, a lot of people have wanted it for a long time but we get nothing. There was an MTG MMO that seemed fun but it was expensive because WOTC and SOE were greedy retards. But a single player dungeon crawler would be awesome too. The nearest we get is Slay the Spire and similar lame indie Fisher Price versions of what we should have.
It's such a simple idea, it's amazing it hasn't been done properly already. Slay the Spire is something similar but aesthetically and mechanically it doesn't feel interesting or mysterious like early MTG.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
More Space Opera RPGs.

Warhammer 40,000 RPG
Traveller RPG
Star Trek RPG

Of course there is no point having any of these, because it would all be 'subversive' these days.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
A sequel to Dark Sun : Wake of the Ravager would be great too but sadly the chances of it happening are bellow 0%.

Strig

Learned
I would take any RPG in a more interesting setting than your run of the mill Generic Fantasy No.563453 or Generic Sci-Fi No.865634. Faarbaute is absolutely right about Barsoom but I wouldn't limit myself to that particular cycle. The Burroughsian spirit of science fantasy/sword and planet swashbuckling adventure would be enough, so it could be a new setting inspired by the best tropes of the genre.

Evoking the spirit of a pulpy adventure would also be neat. Something combining Indiana Jonesian antics and characters like Doc Savage, Shadow, Spider, themes of the lost worlds, lost races, yellow perils, forgotten artifacts, voodoo shamans etc. Build a setting which combines all of this into one low-magic world where artifacts are extremely rare, gritty street level masked vigilantes exist, where adventurers saunter through forgotten tombs and ruins around the world, and She Who Must Be Obeyed presides over her kingdom in the dark corners of Africa (or Siberia if you fancy the 1935 adaptation).

Setting a game during the Bolshevik Revolution would be brilliant. I've read plenty of memoirs written by people, who fought against or just fled from the commies. It was a fascinatingly turbulent time with tens of factions to choose from. Various White groups led by extraordinary people like Kolczak, Wrangel, Semyonov, Ungern-Sternberg; then there are the treacherous Czechoslovak Legion, belligerent but fairly disorganised Polish 5th Siberian Rifle Division, ill-equipped French expedition, Japanese Intervention forces, vile Hungarian Jewish defectors like Bela Kun and Tibor Szamuelly, YMCA members, various explorers like Ossendowski, Giżycki and scummy western red journos like Louise Bryant and John Reed. And that's only the tip of the iceberg. The variety offered by this single conflict is enough to realise a plethora of games in 10 different genres.*

* this paragraph was basically copied from another similar topic.

Last edited:

Herumor

Scholar
You've got a whole host of factions to choose from in the guilds or City Watch.

Would playing as a wizard involve assassination mini-games?

A sequel to Dark Sun : Wake of the Ravager would be great too but sadly the chances of it happening are bellow 0%.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you earn the Dragon's enmity at the end of the game? That doesn't really seem like something you could live through in a sequel.

Kruyurk

Learned
I want Kenshi but with Exanima's combat but with sword & sorcery style clothing (i.e. not much of it). No need for a story.

curds

Magister
A warhammer RPG! I wonder why they never did that
We will never have a faithful Warhammer game, whether RPG or tactics, because then there would be no reason to buy GW's really expensive physical products.

Strig

Learned
We will never have a faithful Warhammer game, whether RPG or tactics, because then there would be no reason to buy GW's really expensive physical products.

That makes no sense. Warhammer Total War would be a far greater threat to their profit margins by that logic, and yet it exists. How would a good narrative-driven cRPG invalidate their overpriced tat?

Delterius

Arcane

That makes no sense. Warhammer Total War would be a far greater threat to their profit margins by that logic, and yet it exists. How would a good narrative-driven cRPG invalidate their overpriced tat?
warhammer total war is about a discontinued product tho

Delterius

Arcane
warhammer total war is about a discontinued product tho
Meh, it only reinforces my point, because I forgot Age of Sigmar is an actual thing and not a drunken fever dream. Would anyone want a game set it that dumpster fire of a setting?
thats kinda besides the point. pretty sure there's people who buy age of sigmar stuff. the idea is that they wouldn't buy the stuff if they could play a videogame instead. i can imagine some rentier class dumbfuck at GW who thinks that's how the world works, that the same people who obsessively paint figurines would be satisfied with total war DLCs. and I can also see that dumbass only relenting to CA because, hey, we can't convince anybody to buy warhammer fantasy figurines anyways.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you earn the Dragon's enmity at the end of the game? That doesn't really seem like something you could live through in a sequel.
By the conclusion of Wake of the Ravager, even triple-classed characters have attained around 14th level, and the party has become allied with the Veiled Alliance. Any possible sequel would involve the PCs rising to 20th level and facing the Dragon as the antagonist, replacing the events at the end of the Prism Pentad novels that were assumed to be canonical for the setting. Or the Dragon could be disposed of as normal by the novel's characters, leaving the party free to confront some other menace to Athas. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom