Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's the best game made by sega?

Vlajdermen

Arcane
Was too lazy to make a poll, shoot me.

Their xbox games Panzer Dragoon Orta and Jet Set Radio Future seem like the objectively best, but I never got the emulator to work so I don't know.

The best from what I played would be Sonic 3, Streets of Rage 2, Nights into Dreams, and Virtua Fighter 5, for obvious reasons. Personal favourites are Panzer Dragoon Saga, because I love that Moebius shit, and Sonic Unleashed, for the fun controls and the idea of retrying tracks to earn S-ranks, which unlike all 3d sonic games but adventure 2 it actually made challenging. Its art and music are the best in the series. Many parts of it are shit but they fall squarely into what I can tolerate.

What I said about Panzer Dragoon Saga applies to Phantasy Star 4 as well. Both wonderful sci-fi adventures.

I was too lazy to play yakuza but 0 and like a dragon seem cool.

Falksi

Arcane
Made by SEGA, or on a SEGA system?

I'm currently around 300 games and 3 years into a 16-bit playthrough, having finished most of those games several time, and my fave SEGA games are:

• Shining Force 2
  • Phantasy Star 4
  • Streets of Rage 1 through 3 (all fantastic in their own way)
  • Golden Axe (see avatar)
  • The Revenge of Shinobi
  • Sonic 3
  • Sonic & Knuckles
  • Afterburner 2
  • Comix Zone
  • Ecco 2
  • Shadowrun (I think this was in house, might be wrong though).
  • Kid Chameleon
  • Landstalker

Others which were on the SEGA Megadrive, but were 3rd party would be:
  • Thunderforce 3
  • Star Control
  • Batman
  • Hellfire
  • Ghouls N Ghosts
  • Castlevania Bloodlines
  • Flashback
  • Warsong (Der Langrissa)
  • Trouble Shooter 2/Battlemania 2
  • Eliminate Down
  • Gley Lancer
  • Devil Crash
  • Double Dribble
  • Langrisser 2
  • Dinos For Hire
  • Alien 3
  • Buck Rogers - Countdown to Doomsday
  • Blades of Vengeance
  • Decap Attack/Magical Hat
  • The Immortal
  • Evander Hollyfield Real Deal Boxing
  • Greatest Heavyweights
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • California Games
  • Arrow Flash
  • Empire of Steel
  • Dangerous Seed
  • Elemental Master
  • Gynoug/Wings Of Wor
  • Insector X
  • Gauntlet 4

Thunderforce 3 is probably my fave game ever, with Afterburner 2 the game which I'm still addicted to and play almost every other night even after 30 odd years.

The best gaming set up for me is PC+ SEGA Megadrive. PC for the depth & 3D games, Megadrive for the quickfire action and buzz. Perfection.

toughasnails

There seems to be some advancement in OG Xbox emulation so who knows, maybe we'll get to play JSRF and Orta one day.

I am mainly interested in trying out From's Otogi series if they ever become fully playable.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
Made by SEGA, or on a SEGA system?
Made by sega. Some of the games I listed are from after sega stopped making consoles.

The best gaming set up for me is PC+ SEGA Megadrive. PC for the depth & 3D games, Megadrive for the quickfire action and buzz. Perfection.
Agreed. Genesis nailed that at-home arcade machine schtick right to the core.

Contra: Hard Cops.
That's Konami

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Golden Axe is my favorite Sega game. I have spent many hours playing it. Different characters to play as, mounts with special powers, you make camp in between levels, boss fights, and a level on the back of a giant eagle.

SilentSeeker

Novice
  • Star Control
Meaning no disrespect, but while Star Control was a fantastic game (albeit one that made watching Battlestar Galactica with me full of terrible puns), the Genesis port was awful. Do you REALLY need a version of Archon you can play after twelve beers?

Falksi

Arcane
  • Star Control
Meaning no disrespect, but while Star Control was a fantastic game (albeit one that made watching Battlestar Galactica with me full of terrible puns), the Genesis port was awful. Do you REALLY need a version of Archon you can play after twelve beers?

It's just easy plug & play 2 player couch co-op fun. I've always had consoles in the front room, then an office-room for the PC, and when mates come round we play in the front room.

I think the ports fine myself tbh too. Not as good as the PC version, but very playable still.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Feels a bit silly reducing such a big company down to even a handful of games, but..
Altered Beast
Golden Axe
Phantasy Star 2
The Revenge of Shinobi
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Vectorman
What I like about these is that four of these are not in genres I would usually enjoy, outside of Shinobi and Vectorman. Obviously biased towards the Genesis era, though I have played a few of the more beloved Dreamcast titles.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
I was more of a Nintendo kid growing up but I did get a Sega Saturn in like 2000 and Panzer Dragoon Saga was pretty good and weird. I also used to love fucking people up at the arcade in Virtua Fighter 2. Just writing that sentence makes me feel old as fuck.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
I was more of a Nintendo kid growing up but I did get a Sega Saturn in like 2000 and Panzer Dragoon Saga was pretty good and weird. I also used to love fucking people up at the arcade in Virtua Fighter 2. Just writing that sentence makes me feel old as fuck.

Having memories about the early days / glory days of the arcades is awesome. Kicking ass at Virtua Fighter 2 sounds great to me. I mentioned my favourite Sega game is Golden Axe. A big part of those memories is from the arcade days playing with friends. A lot better than talking shit playing Among Us or Fortnite.

Lucumo

Educated
Considering how many games they have done, there is no single "best"...but eh, I will go with Shenmue.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Only considering games that Sega developed...

Just one? Definitely Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution.

Honourable mentions in no particular order:

Spy Hunter
Golden Axe
Shinobi
Shadow Dancer
Yakuza series (all)

Zenithsan

Educated
Love that op asks for the best sega game and the first retard list like a hundred games just to flex

For me is Starflight, is not the original version but, after playing the old versions, I claim is the most beautiful and best overall. Engaging mechanics, interesting world to explore, and no hand holding. Although it looks not that great compared to the king; Star Control: The Ur-Quan Masters, but what space game doesn't.

Starflight%20(2).jpg

Curratum

I would go with Phantasy Star 4. It's the only JRPG that I ever played to completion so that has to count for something, right?

Vlajdermen

Arcane
Love that op asks for the best sega game and the first retard list like a hundred games just to flex

For me is Starflight, is not the original version but, after playing the old versions, I claim is the most beautiful and best overall. Engaging mechanics, interesting world to explore, and no hand holding. Although it looks not that great compared to the king; Star Control: The Ur-Quan Masters, but what space game doesn't.

Starflight%20(2).jpg
Cat_Hates_Visitors_June_JV_MZ.jpg

How is that game made by sega you fucking monkey?

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik

Starflight%20(2).jpg
Cat_Hates_Visitors_June_JV_MZ.jpg

How is that game made by sega you fucking monkey?

starflight-55379.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom