Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's the best game made by sega?

Falksi

Arcane
Genesis Shadowrun.
Wasn't made by Sega. The developer was California-based BlueSky Software.

The OT asks an impossible question, though. SEGA has perhaps the most amazing stable of arcade classics out of any company and there's truly something for everyone. They're also responsible for pushing the technological envelope more than any other company, establishing partnerships with Lockheed Martin to bring 3D graphics that were limited to multi-million dollar industrial/military simulators into mainstream entertainment. Model 1/2/3 are supreme feats of engineering that don't get enough recognition these days. Not to mention the amazing arcade cabinets from back in the day (After Burner, G-LOC, Daytona USA, etc.).

Their console endeavours were also amazing, though understandably less so. The company we have now is nothing but a shell of its former self, and even their single remaining internal development studio (RGG) probably doesn't have too much longer to go. From a business standpoint SEGA has always been braindead, with some truly mind-boggling decisions that sealed its fate. Even now, it's hilarious to see how it simply refuses to make money off of such a venerable archive.

:salute:

The more and more I've dug into their classic library the more I'm rediscovering my love for them. The SNES library has it's moments, but it's like 1 good game every 5, and then they're usually piss fucking easy kids games like Zelda or Mario.

Whereas the Megadrive/Genesis library...ye gads I must have 150+ games which I deem as must-owns, and every other new game I play I seem to unearth a belter. It's incredible.

And SEGA don't get the credit they deserve for their innovation either. For some reason the masses give stuff like Chrono Trigger the glory for things which the likes of Phantasy Star actually invented, and games like Toe Jam & Earl and Comix Zone don't get mentioned by them either. When I returned to Comix Zone my first thought was "Holy shit, I've only just realized that I think this is the firs beat-em-up/action game with puzzle elements in." Setting the standard for games like God Of War.

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
And SEGA don't get the credit they deserve for their innovation either. For some reason the masses give stuff like Chrono Trigger the glory for things which the likes of Phantasy Star actually invented, and games like Toe Jam & Earl and Comix Zone don't get mentioned by them either.

More people just played Nintendo consoles than Sega ones, that's just how it was. Usually, there was only money for one console in the household so that usually dictated what you got exposed to. I only ever saw Sega games at a friend's house who had a Mega Drive, everybody else either had a SNES or a PC

Falksi

Arcane
Thought it worth giving folk the heads up, The Cursed Knight has just been released for the SEGA Megadrive/Genesis too. Lots of people saying it's great, I've not played it yet though...

n4BNm8j.jpg

mSwaOgL.jpg

zm0yxqc.jpg

Viata

Arcane
And SEGA don't get the credit they deserve for their innovation either. For some reason the masses give stuff like Chrono Trigger the glory for things which the likes of Phantasy Star actually invented, and games like Toe Jam & Earl and Comix Zone don't get mentioned by them either.

More people just played Nintendo consoles than Sega ones, that's just how it was. Usually, there was only money for one console in the household so that usually dictated what you got exposed to. I only ever saw Sega games at a friend's house who had a Mega Drive, everybody else either had a SNES or a PC
It's interesting that what I have read, Sega consoles were quite a success outside Japan. But yeah, most people I knew had a SNES, yet, as some people here may know, Mega Drive and Master System are still being released here.

Skies of Arcadia, in my opinion.

Super fun JRPG from the Dreamcast era. I have my copy on the Gamecube and it is a game I go back to constantly.

It's interesting that what I have read, Sega consoles were quite a success outside Japan. But yeah, most people I knew had a SNES, yet, as some people here may know, Mega Drive and Master System are still being released here.

Really, the last SEGA console that saw success outside of Japan was the Genesis. The Saturn was an absolute flop coming in at around 3 million sold in the states (9.26 sold worldwide) and the Dreamcast sold 5 million in the states and 9.13 million worldwide making it SEGA's worst selling console. Which is a bit weird to think about considering how beloved the Dreamcast is.

Neither of these figures at all compare to the gargantuan worldwide sales of the Genesis at 47 million.

SEGA was the victim of absolutely braindead business decisions, which is a damn shame, because both of the consoles are really cool, and have a great library of fun and replayable games.

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
Was too lazy to make a poll, shoot me.

Their xbox games Panzer Dragoon Orta and Jet Set Radio Future seem like the objectively best, but I never got the emulator to work so I don't know.

The best from what I played would be Sonic 3, Streets of Rage 2, Nights into Dreams, and Virtua Fighter 5, for obvious reasons. Personal favourites are Panzer Dragoon Saga, because I love that Moebius shit, and Sonic Unleashed, for the fun controls and the idea of retrying tracks to earn S-ranks, which unlike all 3d sonic games but adventure 2 it actually made challenging. Its art and music are the best in the series. Many parts of it are shit but they fall squarely into what I can tolerate.

What I said about Panzer Dragoon Saga applies to Phantasy Star 4 as well. Both wonderful sci-fi adventures.

I was too lazy to play yakuza but 0 and like a dragon seem cool.

Shinobi

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist

Really, the last SEGA console that saw success outside of Japan was the Genesis. The Saturn was an absolute flop coming in at around 3 million sold in the states (9.26 sold worldwide) and the Dreamcast sold 5 million in the states and 9.13 million worldwide making it SEGA's worst selling console. Which is a bit weird to think about considering how beloved the Dreamcast is.

Neither of these figures at all compare to the gargantuan worldwide sales of the Genesis at 47 million.

SEGA was the victim of absolutely braindead business decisions, which is a damn shame, because both of the consoles are really cool, and have a great library of fun and replayable games.
Not saying Sega wasn't braindead, but didn't the Genesis do poor numbers in Japan, whereas the Saturn was number 2 behind the monumental PSX? If someone high up at the company believed that the world outside of Japan didn't matter, they might have liked those numbers.

Not saying Sega wasn't braindead, but didn't the Genesis do poor numbers in Japan, whereas the Saturn was number 2 behind the monumental PSX? If someone high up at the company believed that the world outside of Japan didn't matter, they might have liked those numbers.
You are correct on both points. The Genesis was not much of a hit in Japan, selling only 3.5 million by 1995, whereas the Saturn doubled that, and outsold the N64 in Japanese markets by a few million. Of course, it was dwarfed by the insane sales figures of the PSX, but that's not surprising at all :hahano:.

The later SEGA consoles just didn't jive well with the western market since SEGA consoles still mainly focused on Arcade games, and the aforementioned business decisions.

There also were a lot of disputes between SEGA of Japan and SEGA of America, so you may be onto something concerning the "don't care about the world outside of Japan." :hahano:

Derringer

Prophet
Fantasy Zone, Space Harrier, Revenge of Shinobi and Shadow Dancer. I like a lot of their arcade and console releases from action games to the few quality RPGs from Genesis to Game Gear. I've played most of their releases, their American developed games can be a little spotty but they're alright mostly.

Last edited:

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I LOVED GENESIS SHIT

ITS LIKE ASKING MY FAVORITE BLOWJOB SOMETIMES THE GIRL WAS HOT BUT I ONLY GOT OFF CAUSE HER HUGE TITS BUT SOMETIMES THE FAT GIRL WITH NO TITS OR ASS JUST HUGE STOMACJW COULD SUCK LIKE A FUCKING VACUUUM

Viata

Arcane

Yes, you are corrected. I forgot to mention I was talking about the Mega Drive and Master System when I was talking about Sega being a success outside Japan.

Higher Animal

Arcane
Digging more into the history of Sega I’m persuaded by the idea that Sega’s rise and ability had a lot to do with the conditions of the market around videogames and that sega’s loose, flashy, and skill type style increasingly lost out to cultural and technological change. A successful Sega today might be doing something completely different than even making traditional video games. In my mind Sega would be making something like X-men’s danger room, where video game technology would be a part of, but not the most significant part of the experience.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Was too lazy to make a poll, shoot me.

Their xbox games Panzer Dragoon Orta and Jet Set Radio Future seem like the objectively best, but I never got the emulator to work so I don't know.

The best from what I played would be Sonic 3, Streets of Rage 2, Nights into Dreams, and Virtua Fighter 5, for obvious reasons. Personal favourites are Panzer Dragoon Saga, because I love that Moebius shit, and Sonic Unleashed, for the fun controls and the idea of retrying tracks to earn S-ranks, which unlike all 3d sonic games but adventure 2 it actually made challenging. Its art and music are the best in the series. Many parts of it are shit but they fall squarely into what I can tolerate.

What I said about Panzer Dragoon Saga applies to Phantasy Star 4 as well. Both wonderful sci-fi adventures.

I was too lazy to play yakuza but 0 and like a dragon seem cool.
Have you played their System 24 games tactical action games Gain Ground and Crackdown?

I like some of Gain Ground's concept art in particular.

vAcPtca.png

5U3LT37.png

Gain Ground also has a Mega Drive port that provides a slightly different take on the game (you start off with all the dudes) by one of Telenet's insane development studios. There's also an M2 port with 3D graphics for PS2 but I've never played it.

Anyway, System 24 was a very interesting system. Late 80s, high resolution and capable of 2D scrolling, making the above titles very unique.

Speaking of tactical action, Shadow Dancer on the Mega Drive adds some nascent stealth play to the Rolling Thunder formula. As with all Shinobis, high level play looks very stylish:

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
sega games are crap, they tried way too hard to outdo nintendo with graphicz and action but none of them feel like timeless classics like zelda, mario or final fantasy.

altered beast, sonic and fantasy zone II are the ones I played most

Gunnar

Arbiter
I really like Space Harrier, fun intense action game and a fantastic soundtrack. The Wonderboy series are all great, and Dragons Trap even got a modern remake.

Ash

Arcane
The best gaming set up for me is PC+ SEGA Megadrive. PC for the depth & 3D games, Megadrive for the quickfire action and buzz. Perfection.
Such a dweeby and declined thing to say. The best gaming setup is the PC, period, with an emulator on it to play each of the respective gems for each notable console, not just one because nonsensical fanboyism. The Mega Drive was full of charm and arcade fun, sure, but even the SNES was trumping it in gameplay depth, innovation, ambition, scope & production values back then. Just note the controller alone, which had more than double the number of inputs. I grew up playing both, and am fond of both, but the difference was staggering.

Golden Axe is my favorite Sega game. I have spent many hours playing it. Different characters to play as, mounts with special powers, you make camp in between levels, boss fights, and a level on the back of a giant eagle.

You guys have a weird obsession. Golden Axe was one of the very first games I ever played, but you ultimately align your dude with people and spam A, or spam flying kicks, and there's not much else to it. The art and music is charming, but I've no idea how one could hold it in such high regard. It plays like shit. Streets of Rage is significantly better, with greater gameplay depth & replayability. But even then I would not look at it with the same fondness some here look at Golden Axe.

Suspected infatuation with bare-chested muscle-bound blonds.

And on that note, I guess I'll say Streets of Rage 1 or 3 is my favorite SEGA game. Definitely fond of them but I wouldn't encourage anyone to scramble to play them. SEGA just never evolved past the 80s arcade standards of gameplay design & depth (i.e largely trash to syphon quarters from autistic dweebs).

Honorable mention for Ghouls & Ghosts which SEGA ported to their console, but weren't the OG devs so it doesn't count.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
The best gaming set up for me is PC+ SEGA Megadrive. PC for the depth & 3D games, Megadrive for the quickfire action and buzz. Perfection.
Such a dweeby and declined thing to say. The best gaming setup is the PC, period, with an emulator on it to play each of the respective gems for each notable console, not just one because nonsensical fanboyism. The Mega Drive was full of charm and arcade fun, sure, but even the SNES was trumping it in gameplay depth, innovation, ambition, scope & production values back then. Just note the controller alone, which had more than double the number of inputs. I grew up playing both, and am fond of both, but the difference was staggering.
:lol: Sorry Ash, you're right. What I said prefer I don't really. Thanks for correcting me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom