Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's the best game made by sega?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Personal favorites include the first three Shining Force series, The Yakuza style games, and Binary Domain.

Ash

Arcane
:lol: Sorry Ash, you're right. What I said prefer I don't really. Thanks for correcting me.
You're welcome!

Preferences can be incorrect or inferior. Such as popamole, luck-based games or sport, masculine women, and homosexuality :smug:

Late Bloomer

Scholar
You guys have a weird obsession. Golden Axe was one of the very first games I ever played, but you ultimately align your dude with people and spam A, or spam flying kicks, and there's not much else to it. The art and music is charming, but I've no idea how one could hold it in such high regard. It plays like shit. Streets of Rage is significantly better, with greater gameplay depth & replayability. But even then I would not look at it with the same fondness some here look at Golden Axe.

Suspected infatuation with bare-chested muscle-bound blonds.

And on that note, I guess I'll say Streets of Rage 1 or 3 is my favorite SEGA game.

Lets see,

Golden Axe = A blond haired male dwarf, brown haired male human, light brown haired bikin clad female human.

Streets of Rage 1 = A blond haired human male, A black guy, an asian chick

Streets of Rage 3 = A blond haired human male, A black guy, a light brown haired girl, a tanned asian dude

I would say it's you who likes blond dudes and black dudes.

The fact this conversation exists it pitiful. This is about what is your favorite Sega game(s). You turned it into "your favorite sega game is shit and your gay".

Fuck you.

Phantasy Star 4 and Shining Force are some of the best rpgs of all time.

If we extend it to Sega-published games then I'll add Gunstar Heroes.

Falksi

Arcane
I guess no one likes The House of the Dead

Funnily enough, was playing the coin-op the other night...

1HjQSe6.jpg

Falksi

Arcane
sega games are crap, they tried way too hard to outdo nintendo with graphicz and action but none of them feel like timeless classics like zelda, mario or final fantasy.

altered beast, sonic and fantasy zone II are the ones I played most
Zelda? I agree, nothing SEGA put out can touch Link To The Past. Beyond Oasis & Crusader of Centy are cool, but LTTP blows them away.

Mario? Sonic & Knuckles piss all over the first 4 Mario games. Each Mario game has it's merits, but S&K is just banging.

Final Fantasy? Phantasy Star not only blows that series away because it's an actual set of sequels, rather than just detached games, but it's actually way closer to PC style gaming too. Final Fantasy has it's merits, but Phantasy Star offers everything from next-gen style cut-scenes in Phantasy Star 4, to classic PC-style blobber dungeon-mapping in Phantasy Star 1, to boundary pushing design choices such as branching paths in Phantasy Star 3.

Last edited:
When I was a kid, the arcade I used to frequent had a House of the Dead cabinet. The first person thing it had scared me. My age was still in the single digits though lol

Higher Animal

Arcane
Snes games are more accessible, and thusly more timeless if you mean ease of use for new players, but genesis games are almost always more interesting and unique even if they take more time to get used to.

The Snes worship was a product of ignorance and bitterness mostly, nobody believes that snes was substantially better than the genesis who is credible.

Snes games are more accessible, and thusly more timeless if you mean ease of use for new players, but genesis games are almost always more interesting and unique even if they take more time to get used to.

The Snes worship was a product of ignorance and bitterness mostly, nobody believes that snes was substantially better than the genesis who is credible.
Yeah but there wasn't anything that came close to Super Metroid in the Genesis' library. Sega mostly used their systems to boast about how their games were better from a technical standpoint, and while that might've been true, the actual game design was better at Nintendo's side. Nintendo had better ideas I'd say. In Japan, though, people think that gaming "died" when Sega stopped being this force pushing tech fowards. So there's that.

Falksi

Arcane

Yeah but there wasn't anything that came close to Super Metroid in the Genesis' library. Sega mostly used their systems to boast about how their games were better from a technical standpoint, and while that might've been true, the actual game design was better at Nintendo's side. Nintendo had better ideas I'd say. In Japan, though, people think that gaming "died" when Sega stopped being this force pushing tech fowards. So there's that.
Super Metroid you're kinda correct about. There are games in the SEGA library which give Super Metroid a decent run for it's money, but which most gamers jut haven't heard or played, such as Pirates of Dark Water. But I agree nothing matched up to Super Metroid still.

But I totally disagree regards game design. There's not a SNES SHMUP which can touch the Thunderforce, Hellfire, or SEGA Aleste games for game design. Hell, the SNES port of Thunderforce 3 had to have it's best stage removed for casual gamers to cope with it.

The likes of Contra Hard Corps with it's branching paths and multiple playstyles is better designed than the still-excellent-but inferior Contra 3. And people talk about ideas, but which SNES Run N Gun matches Gunstar Heroes for it's ideas? Then you've Sonic & Knuckles' wild-ride stage craft, beat-em-ups like the Streets of Rage series which perfect the genre's formula, Castlevania Bloodlines which again offers more playstyles and much faster-paced play over Castlevania 4's highly-atmospheric but very ploddy play, Comix Zone going off the chart with presentational innovation whilst also incorporating adventure elements in the Beat 'Em Up formula to essentially become the early God of War template etc.

Last edited:

Higher Animal

Arcane

I don’t mean to suggest that the snes is awful or without good ideas, and yes super Metroid is a very fine game, influential and unique in its own right. But the problem is that schoolyard banter that was at best half true cooled off from Sega fans almost within the same console generation, whereas the snes fans inflated its reputation for decades. I remember hearing in 2005-2006 about how much better the snes was than the genesis, how awful genesis games were, seeing the same dozen snes games in the top 25 games of all time list.

It all seems so provincial and bitter and ignorant now. Again, not that the snes isn’t great, but that it’s so towering and monumental when compared to anything else. It’s almost a complete fabrication to say such a thing and yet it was constantly just assumed by people who sucked at Sonic.

Now that retro gaming, roms, and re-releases are ubiquitous it all seems so childish. There are literally types of games made for the genesis that don’t exist hardly anywhere else and people want to talk about maybe the fourth or fifth best Zelda game as the pinnacle of what exactly?

kangaxx

Arbiter
Just talking about the Saturn (Megadrive probably harder to pick) I got hundreds of hours out of Virtua Cop 1 & 2 with light gun as a kid.

Last Bronx was underrated on the Saturn too IMO. Great fun.

Not sure I'd claim they're the "best" Sega has ever made, but they stick out for me on the Saturn.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
My personal favorite is MotorRaid. I still visit the arcade to play it every now and then, even if the cabinet is not in the best condition.

I love model 2 and model 3. Have you played the model 3 ambulance game? Been described as a low key horror game by e.g. this guy

Last edited:

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
the actual game design was better at Nintendo's side. Nintendo had better ideas I'd say
Depends on taste.

Mega Drive games that pushed the boundaries of design at the time did so within the constraints of the single session or "arcade" format, whereas the Super Famicom's library (or rather what it's remembered for) broke the shackles altogether so to speak, making it feel more familiar to today's gamers.

You don't get so much stuff like Granada, Ex-Ranza, Herzog Zwei, Gain Ground, Elemental Master, Mercs' Original Mode outside of the Mega Drive (and to a lesser extent PC Engine -- Rondo of Blood is an exemplar of this kind of design philosophy after all). The number of practitioners of that strand of game design dwindled in the 5th generation, almost disappearing altogether today, making it, in my eyes, more interesting and valuable than the Super Famicom library's early attempts at modern gaming.

Beastro

Arcane
Love that op asks for the best sega game and the first retard list like a hundred games just to flex

For me is Starflight, is not the original version but, after playing the old versions, I claim is the most beautiful and best overall. Engaging mechanics, interesting world to explore, and no hand holding. Although it looks not that great compared to the king; Star Control: The Ur-Quan Masters, but what space game doesn't.

Starflight%20(2).jpg
I love the use of sound to create a sense of both openness and vulnerability as well as isolation. It's the only space game I've played where you felt alone and at risk when beyond the space station where the only real safety lay. It didn't matter if the mechanics of the game weren't there. The isolated feeling evoked getting into trouble and having no hope of rescue, like breaking your leg in the middle of the wild knowing no one knew you were out there to come save you. The station's music provided odd comfort.

The use of music, sound, lack of sound, fast cuts reinforced a sense of the unknown and lurking threat:

The Genesis was built for dark, moody games more than any other console. The way music and graphics were on it created a forboding sense in many that played to Sega's strength as the more adult console compared to the SNES:

The simple intro of Zero Tolerance was scarier than many horror games:

The closest thing to Starflight's mood was Buck Rogers:

https://youtu.be/UByqJvOrna8?t=2108

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane

I'd rather say that both were still of an era when consoles had unique takes on gaming and provided different experiences that were all good, even bad consoles did that. Even the fifth gen consoles had their own flavour.

Compare it to today when there's really no difference between X-Box and PS games and only Nintendo has maintained their unique style, albeit at the humbling cost that they paid in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Falksi

Arcane
So I'm gunna drop my updated list here of both SEGA and Nintendo games which I deem for myself as "must own". This isn't an objective look at the games, just the ones which - after playing through around 500 games in their respective libraries since 2017 - I enjoyed playing, and which I will and do still replay.

I'm currently at the letter "S", which is why you'll see the odd "S" game in there, but why there are some obvious omissions too such as the Sonic & Super Mario Allstars games (I'm going through it alphabetically, but when I reach a letter I'm cycling the games by genre). There'll be the odd additional game thrown in there too which I just ended up playing for one reason or other too (e.g. one of my mates kept going on about it, so I went through it).

The list is in a rough order with my faves at the top, lesser faves down the bottom, but it will be reorganized properly when I move on to directly comparing the games in a year or two when the full playthrough is finished.
  • Thunderforce 3Megadrive
    Shining Force 2Megadrive
    HellfireMegadrive
    The Legend of Zelda - A Link To The PastSNES
    Star ControlMegadrive
    Contra Hard CorpsMegadrive
    Afterburner 2/32X/ArcadeMegadrive/32X/Arcade
    Streets of Rage 3 (Bare Knuckle 3)Megadrive
    ActraiserSNES
    Phantasy Star 4Megadrive
    Contra 3SNES
    Ghouls N GhostsMegadrive
    Sunset RidersSNES/Arcade
    Atomic RunnerMegadrive/Arcade
    Streets of Rage 2Megadrive
    The Revenge of ShinobiMegadrive
    Golden AxeMegadrive
    Streets of RageMegadrive
    BatmanMegadrive
    Castlevania BloodlinesMegadrive
    Forgotten WorldsMegadrive/Arcade
    F-ZeroSNES
    FlashbackMegadrive
    Smash TVSNES
    Street Fighter 2 (Various)Megadrive/SNES
    Super Mario WorldSNES
    DuneMegadrive/PC
    Warsong (Der Langrissa)Megadrive
    Trouble Shooter 2/Battlemania 2Megadrive
    Mega TurricanMegadrive
    BlackthorneSNES/32X
    Comix ZoneMegadrive
    MUSHAMegadrive
    Eliminate DownMegadrive
    The Combat TribesSNES
    Gley LancerMegadrive
    Mystic DefenderMegadrive
    Alisa DragoonMegadrive
    King of Demons (Majyūō)SNES
    BiometalSNES
    Rocket Knight AdventuresMegadrive
    Devil CrashMegadrive
    Double DribbleMegadrive
    Final Fantasy 5SNES
    FlickyMegadrive
    Elemental MasterMegadrive
    ShadowrunMegadrive
    Langrisser 2Megadrive
    Road Rash 3Megadrive
    Dinos For HireMegadrive
    Alien 3Megadrive
    Decap Attack/Magical HatMegadrive
    Mickey Mouse Castle of IllusionMegadrive
    Buck Rogers - Countdown to DoomsdayPC/Megadrive
    Blades of VengeanceMegadrive
    The ImmortalMegadrive
    LandstalkerMegadrive
    Lufia 2SNES
    Final Fantasy 4SNES
    CadashArcade/Megadrive
    Spiderman & The X-Men: Arcade's RevengeSNES/Megadrive
    Rendering Ranger R2SNES
    Robocop Vs Terminator MD (uggghhhh, the SNES version of this is dog by comparison)Megadrive
    ShinobiMaster System/Arcade
    Road Rash 2Megadrive
    Evander Hollyfield Real Deal BoxingMegadrive
    Greatest HeavyweightsMegadrive
    Batman ReturnsSNES
    Pirates of Dark WaterMegadrive
    SWIVMegadrive/SNES
    Prince of PersiaSNES/Megadrive
    Arrow FlashMegadrive
    Midnight ResistanceMegadrive
    Desert StrikeMegadrive/PC/ (SNES version is awful)
    Super Ghouls N' GhostsSNES
    WonderboyMaster System/Arcade
    PilotwingsSNES
    McDonald's Treasure Land AdventureMegadrive
    MercsMegadrive/Arcade
    Beyond Oasis/Story of ThorMegadrive
    Kid ChameleonMegadrive
    Goemon 2SNES
    The Legend of The Mystical NinjaSNES
    Gunstar Heroes (This will ultimately be far higher, it's low at the mo because my cart is broke & it crashes)Megadrive
    Altered BeastMegadrive/Arcade
    Super Star WarsSNES
    Illusion of GaiaSNES
    James Pond 2 - RobocodMegadrive/SNES
    Parodius DaSNES
    World of IllusionMegadrive
    California GamesMegadrive
    Super Castlevania 4SNES
    Zero WingMegadrive
    Empire of SteelMegadrive
    Dangerous SeedMegadrive
    Cutie Suzuki No Ringside AngelMegadrive
    Another WorldMegadrive/SNES
    Castlevania Dracula X/Vampires KissSNES
    Cybernator/Assault Suit ValkanSNES
    AladdinMegadrive
    AladdinSNES
    Ecco 2: The Tides of TimeMegadrive
    Chrono TriggerSNES
    Final Fight GuySNES
    Final Fight 3SNES
    Dick TracyMegadrive
    Street RacerMegadrive
    Rock N Roll RacingMegadrive/SNES
    The Chaos Engine/SOFPC/Megadrive/SNES
    QuackshotMegadrive
    MoonwalkerMegadrive
    Gynoug/Wings Of WorMegadrive
    Gauntlet 4Megadrive
    OutrunnersMegadrive
    Super Aleste/Space MegaforceSNES
    Ninja Gaiden TrilogySNES
    Smash TennisSNES
    Saturday Night SlamastersMegadrive/SNES
    King Of Monsters 2Arcade/SNES
    Coach K BasketballMegadrive
    Battle MasterSNES
    Insector XMegadrive
    Congos CaperSNES
    Alien StormMegadrive
    DJ BoyMegadrive
    Bonanza BrosMegadrive
    Phantasy Star 3Megadrive
    Nangoku Shounen Papuwa-kunSNES
    Ranger XMegadrive
    PGA Tour ETMegadrive
    Rolling Thunder 2Megadrive
    Street Fighter Alpha 2SNES
    KlaxMegadrive
    John Madden 93Megadrive
    John Madden 92Megadrive
    Monster World IVMegadrive
    John Madden's FootballMegadrive
    OutlanderMegadrive/SNES
    Shadowrun SNESSNES
    OutrunMegadrive
    Phantom 2040Megadrive/SNES
    Magical PopnSNES
    Fire StrikerSNES
    BonkersSNES
So out of the games there, 87 of my "must-owns" are SEGA Megadrive choices (with 2 additional Master System games, which are obviously playable with the MS Convertor) and 38 are SNES choices. Then there's another 14 choices which are close on both systems (there are other games on both systems of course, but if one was a clear winner then I didn't include the other). Out that 14, 10 I prefer to play on SEGA 4 on Nintendo.

So as you can see, for me SEGA comes out a clear winner at roughly a 2/1 ratio. I still think the SNES is great, a top 5 console for me for sure, but playing all these games several things became apparent about said SNES:

• It's slow. Not always, but the slowdown utterly cripples a lot of its arcade-style games. Gradius 3, Super R-Type, Back To The Future 2 etc. These games and more run in bullet-time for a larger portion of the game than they run properly. It's jarringly bad and kills some potentially fantastic games.
  • Because of that slow processor, it's limited in other ways. The most telling of which is with it's beat 'em ups, where the majority of SNES games won't allow more than 3 enemies on screen at once because any more and it slows down. Compare that to the likes of Streets of Rage where you can have 8 enemies on-screen on the hardest difficulties with no problems, and the SNES just can't touch the levels of intensity which the Megadrive can.
  • It's RPGs are lacking in gameplay & challenge. SMT might change that thinking somewhat, but a lot of the hyped up stuff such as Chrono Trigger & FF6 just can't touch games like Phantasy Star and Warsong when it comes to challenge and gameplay design. If you want a good comparison go play Langrisser 2 on both Megadrive & SNES (it's called Der Langrisser on SNES). The SNES has a lot of excellent story additions, but it's almost impossible to lose a troop, never mind a general, never mind a battle. The SEGA version however has a very nice, well balanced challenge.
  • A lot of the SNES' best games are too easy and don't have additional difficulties. Link To The Past, Super Mario World, Chrono Trigger etc. As brilliantly designed as some of them are, their lack of challenge and difficulty options really hurts their replayability. Megadrive 1-difficulty games are usually quite challenging (Comix Zone, Contra Hard Corps, Landstalker), and don't really need anywhere to go, and games like Hellfire which you can crank up to "Yea Right" difficulty I think I will be playing for another 30 years trying to 1CC them. Addictive as fuck.
  • The SNES's resolution cramps the screen up, and makes it the second-choice system for a lot of platform & action games which are on both systems, as being able to see that extra 20-ish% of the screen ahead makes a lot of games more enjoyable.
I'm expecting a lot from the SNES though with it's "S" selection as a lot of the "Super" games are to come. But I also doubt it's gonna make up the ground it's lost already either. Also, I've not even touched the SEGA CD games yet either, and with games like Snatcher, Final Fight CD, Lunar and Dark Wizard there's a lot of big hitters from the SEGA side still to come too.

Last edited:

tommy heavenly6

Learned
sega games are crap, they tried way too hard to outdo nintendo with graphicz and action but none of them feel like timeless classics like zelda, mario
I'll never understand adults who still get excited about Zelda and Mario games. And I'm not talking about aesthetics, it's that they're easy and braindead as shit. They stopped being fun after the novelty of their first 3D iterations wore off.
final fantasy
Phantasy Star IV, my son.

I'll never understand adults who still get excited about Zelda and Mario games. And I'm not talking about aesthetics, it's that they're easy and braindead as shit. They stopped being fun after the novelty of their first 3D iterations wore off.
Nintendo is profiting off the fanbase that's stood with them through the years. They aren't making Mario, Pokemon or Zelda for "kids" anymore, as they did 20 years ago or so. So it's part of a tradition, Nintendo is its own world secluded from most of the gaming industry and the fact they've focused on portable machines means you can play it while commuting, which is a big deal for their primary market in Japan.

Irata

Scholar
Despite the fact that I'm (very) old, I've never even seen any Sega console other than the Dreamcast so my opinion on Sega is quite limited, but I did enjoy Smilebit's games on my XBMC machine. I'd even put JSRF in my favorite games list.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Nintendo is profiting off the fanbase that's stood with them through the years. They aren't making Mario, Pokemon or Zelda for "kids" anymore, as they did 20 years ago or so. So it's part of a tradition, Nintendo is its own world secluded from most of the gaming industry and the fact they've focused on portable machines means you can play it while commuting, which is a big deal for their primary market in Japan.
everything is mobile now, PCs and home consoles are dying out.

I would not be surprised if the next Playstation will be a hybrid like the switch

Higher Animal

Arcane
felipepepe is big on the mobile market, but I don’t really understand it. I’ve played snake, the box, repurposed classic games and time wasters but I’m not clued into it.

My money is still long on substantial cultural changes versus new technology. But I can’t predict where things will go.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom