Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's the best game made by sega?

Higher Animal

Arcane
List the Genesis platforming greats. Sorry but no. There is no competition, not even close, to suggest otherwise is simply laughable to me. And the Sega Genesis was my first gaming machine and what made me fall in love.

Stranded desert island, SNES or Genesis I know what I'd pick.

Zombies (Ate My Neighbors) was also on the Mega Drive, and the other games are some bullshit nobody gives a fuck about
? My list is comprised of many of the system's most popular games. You don't give a fuck because you know nothing about them, clearly. Don't confuse reality for anything else.

Getting into a versus mode about platformers is not going to be productive for conversation nor will it end well for you.

It’s not just that genesis has a higher level of action platformers, which were the class genre that era for console gaming, which is true of many ports as well, it’s that the platforming section for genesis is literally amazing and not bested by the snes in any appreciable way.

Leave the sonics, decap attacks, toejam and earl 2s, kid chameleons, cool spots, and all the litany of action platformers out of mind.

Is dynamite Headdy chump change? What about, I don’t know, rocket knight adventures? Did you play pulseman? Hear about Rolo to the rescue? Or Quackshot?

There are more quality platformers on the genesis than you understand, which is the issue, you don’t and are currently refusing to.

You guys have a weird obsession. Golden Axe was one of the very first games I ever played, but you ultimately align your dude with people and spam A, or spam flying kicks, and there's not much else to it. The art and music is charming, but I've no idea how one could hold it in such high regard.
Despite the amazing graphics and sound for the time (1989; arcade version was considerably better in this regard), you have to look it with some perspective. While it's pretty simple in hindsight, I think it was the beat em up that introduced different attack animations according to the distance between your character and the enemy. That's very significant in the history of the genre. The magic attack, although also mechanically shallow, also introduced another element to the gameplay that wasn't common in other games of its type.

Also, I thought the simple narrative is strangely compelling, and the quill tracing your path through the levels in between stages is really cool. The levels themselves are mostly great, although few in number. First time I saw that Turtle Village was on top of an actual turtle, and fighting on the back of a flying eagle (with feathers flying by) I kind of freaked out.

I still play it from time to time. The Genesis version is more degenerate (you can beat the entire game simply with running attacks and never get hit once), so if you haven't given the arcade version a try in awhile maybe it's worth revisiting.

Last edited:

Higher Animal

Arcane
A lot of the attacks on Sega come from misunderstanding the technical innovations and nuances that came from the company. Sega put a lot into the surface, but with depth and skill both a part of it and deeper than it. Even though I’m a Sega guy for life, there have been times and places where I didn’t get the Sega quality even though I would play a superficially simple game like Crazy Taxi for hours, only to later find out it’s a skillful, deep game that people still play to this day.

Also, last word for Nintendo, I don’t think anybody is a legit Nintendo hater, in fact almost everybody likes Nintendo, including myself, I only remember console warring against the Xbox…… and defending sega’s legacy by people who fail to put their own bullshit into perspective.

tommy heavenly6

Learned
Also, last word for Nintendo, I don’t think anybody is a legit Nintendo hater, in fact almost everybody likes Nintendo, including myself, I only remember console warring against the Xbox…… and defending sega’s legacy by people who fail to put their own bullshit into perspective.
Worst aspect about Nintendo are the cult-like fans.

Sega did a lot of things way before Nintendo did. Like having a handheld system with a full color display, or connecting to the internet. As I mentioned before, they had the fame of being the cutting edge tech company, at least when it comes to home gaming things. Companies don't do that anymore, although, to be fair, the jumps of quality and performance aren't even directly noticeable in between iterations, and mostly end up translating as "what we had before, but more of it this time".
However, it wasn't Nintendo who killed Sega, it was Sony. The Playstation was cheaper and managed to get killer apps out of its ass like they were paid to do it (I mean, they were, but you know what I mean). The Dremcast could've been a good rival for Play Station but it was too late by then. Oddly enough, I remember more hype and presence for Dreamcast and its games rather than the Gamecube, even when they were somewhat in the same timeframe. I think that was the first time where Nintendo realized that their handheld had more staying power than the home console, and to be fair, the GBA is probably in the top 3 systems they've made.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
I would play a superficially simple game
Yes very true. A lot of codexers make the mistake of judging complexity as e.g. the presence of an inventory, world size, number of means of interaction, number of menus etc. when in fact games with this kind of "complexity" often end up much simpler and have far more trivial play than "simple" action games.

Last edited:

Higher Animal

Arcane
Cat Headed Eagle

Although I wasnt alive for early Nintendo, I thought the period from the gba through GameCube, ds, and hype for the wii was Nintendo’s best period of talent and games. So many classics from that period, and Nintendo was almost exclusively carving out a niche and delivering rather than outright competing.

Cat Headed Eagle

Although I wasnt alive for early Nintendo, I thought the period from the gba through GameCube, ds, and hype for the wii was Nintendo’s best period of talent and games. So many classics from that period, and Nintendo was almost exclusively carving out a niche and delivering rather than outright competing.
Early Nintendo, as in NES and SNES, was unbeatable. Granted, where I lived Nintendo was king instead of Sega like in Europe, and I only knew 1 kid in my entire school that owned a Genesis, but Nintendo was gaming. That was it. They had this hold on everything related to gaming and every new game was better than the one before... But we were kids back then. I noticed a big flop with the N64, I think zoomers have been reevaluating this console due to select games like the Zelda ones but it was NOT a good console. Game Cube felt like it was dead too. By then, Sony had overtaken the domestic gaming scene with Play Station, mostly due to how easy it was to jailbreak the console and copy CDs any time you wanted. Plus, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, etc. That's why I feel like Nintendo kinda gave up on the domestic gaming scene and focused on handhelds, because even the wii was a good system for them they kinda lost it with the public.

Ash

Arcane
This is what Ash is getting snobbish about
Damn straight.

Seriously though, no. I am arguing for a game, not a character. I will champion any good game.

Higher Animal Quackshot? Dynamite Heady? It took me a while, but now I see I am being trolled. You had me for a while, good one.

tommy heavenly6

Learned
But we were kids back then. I noticed a big flop with the N64, I think zoomers have been reevaluating this console due to select games like the Zelda ones but it was NOT a good console
N64 was fairly popular among US kids, which is why there's this revisionist instance that it was such a popular and relevant console, just the zoomers nostalgia circlejerking about the childhoods. And because it had barely any games, all the kids had the same games (Mario, Zelda, Goldeneye, Smash) so that helped to create a shared myth around those titles. Now if you suggest the N64 isn't the knees bees you're labeled a terrorist. Easily the most overrated system ever.

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
Here in Brazil the Playstation completely dominated over the N64 or lol the Sega Saturn.
Back in the mid-late 90s, being a teenager, I had a N64 and thought it was a much better console because at the time was playing only party games (Mario Kart, Goldeneye, etc.) while for single player I used a computer.

But we were kids back then. I noticed a big flop with the N64, I think zoomers have been reevaluating this console due to select games like the Zelda ones but it was NOT a good console
N64 was fairly popular among US kids, which is why there's this revisionist instance that it was such a popular and relevant console, just the zoomers nostalgia circlejerking about the childhoods. And because it had barely any games, all the kids had the same games (Mario, Zelda, Goldeneye, Smash) so that helped to create a shared myth around those titles. Now if you suggest the N64 isn't the knees bees you're labeled a terrorist. Easily the most overrated system ever.
I'd directly call it Nintendo's worst console, out of the ones that were met with relative success and acclaim. The Virtual Boy doesn't count in this measurement. Plus, the controller. It was horrible. The fact that Resident Evil was on Play Station meant everyone wanted to play it and own it.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Plus, the controller. It was horrible
It's a pretty clever and very versatile controller. 3 different grips; the first is basically a Saturn pad (when you hold the left and right prongs), and used as such for e.g. Mischief Makers, the second is akin to wasd plus mouse (left and middle prongs giving you a d-pad and analog stick), and the final most commonly used grip is the one that more or less established conventional 3rd person 3D action controls. More controllers need 6 face buttons. Why don't you like it?

Last edited:

Higher Animal

Arcane
N64 was a good console with good games, it just wasn’t amazing, and the nolstalgia is mostly non geriatric millenials, if zoomed like it it’s stolen valor or vintage. But the n64 was the last time Nintendo tried to position itself as a market leader.

Ash If you refuse to play or at least research that’s your issue, ignorance is not bliss.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Here in Brazil the Playstation completely dominated over the N64 or lol the Sega Saturn.
According to the stats assembled by VGSales, the Nintendo 64 did manage half as many sales in "North America" (i.e. the United States plus Canada) as the original Playstation, so it was certainly relevant though Nintendo found itself relegated to a distant second place (while Sega plunged from narrowly outselling the SNES with the Genesis to irrelevance with the Saturn). In Japan, the N64 snagged only one-sixth of the market versus one-third in the US, while the Saturn had an equal amount and the Playstation was dominant with two-thirds market share. In the rest of the world, the Playstation outsold the N64 by an even larger ratio than in Japan, while the Saturn was about as irrelevant as in the US.

I expect that the N64's market share in the United States was greater among younger kids than teen-agers, much less adults, which perhaps explains this (mis)perception among a certain age-range today. Note that these people can't be Zoomers, since the usual definition of Generation Z is a birth year of 1995 through 2009.

WorldJapanUSRestWorldJapanUSRest
PS
102.49​
19.41​
40.78​
42.3​
70.9%​
63.2%​
64.5%​
83.6%​
N64
32.92​
5.54​
20.63​
6.75​
22.8%​
18.0%​
32.6%​
13.3%​
Saturn
9.08​
5.75​
1.8​
1.53​
6.3%​
18.7%​
2.8%​
3.0%​

Even though the NES had already gamified the concept of software and hardware for entertainment, I do think the N64 felt like it was directly aimed at kids. The console had a weird design, and the controller had so many colors on it, loud, primary colors. The starting lineup of games was also purely kiddie friendly, which felt like a serious weakness against the PSX, which boasted blood, drama, and generally a teen and late teen mindset in its library. Again, part of the whole deal of it having RE was the novelty of having a game that was actualy crude and violent and reveled on it, but it wasn't corny shit like Splatterhouse. It was a "real serious" game. Beyond that, the PSX also signified a jump in game development towards a presentation that's more simlar to today's concept of what a game is instead of the limited, fire and forget perspective of past consoles. For better or worse, the PSX was an "experience" too. It cannot be overstated how important that console was for gaming as a whole I'd say.

Ash

Arcane
N64 was a good console with good games, it just wasn’t amazing, and the nolstalgia is mostly non geriatric millenials, if zoomed like it it’s stolen valor or vintage. But the n64 was the last time Nintendo tried to position itself as a market leader.

Ash If you refuse to play or at least research that’s your issue, ignorance is not bliss.
N64 (and beyond) was decline, and agreed with the poster saying it was their worst console...well, maybe the Wii takes the cake there. Definitely most overrated console though. The polar opposite of the SNES (better than Genesis easily) as well as Nintendo's handheld dominance.

As for those Sega games...Quackshot is one of my earliest gaming memories. It's a charming game, largely the music and aesthetics as with most games for the system, but otherwise it's really not that great, as with most games for the system. Sorry, your delusion is cute but wholly wrong.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Keeping it real, the entire generation is fucking garbage. It's like the hardware in all 3 major consoles was designed with zero input from anyone with actual 3D game development experience.

Last edited:

Lucumo

Educated
Plus, the controller. It was horrible
It's a pretty clever and very versatile controller. 3 different grips, one of which is basically a Saturn pad (and so used for Mischief Makers). More controllers need 6 face buttons. Why don't you like it?
I'm a big fan of the N64 controller.
Not a big fan myself but it was definitely fine. The Mario Party games really destroyed the stick though.

Lucumo

Educated
1995-2004 was basically the golden decade. Peak PC, peak arcade, peak consoles (Saturn, PS1, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube). What hasn't declined since then? You had LAN, dedicated servers, no DLC, couch multiplayer. And games were still games, didn't play themselves, didn't insult your intelligence and generally didn't follow some agenda. DRM was also still relatively benign (fuck online activation, account-tied games, limited installs, always-online etc).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom