Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline When I was 9.... DISCUSS!!!11

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
829sm67.jpg

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Bro you're wrong. You can wear anything at level fucking 1. My build for archer for example - 10 DEX, 1 archer, 1 rogue for haste. That's what I figured out on my first playthrough. 10 dex = any armor. haste = even supah overleveled bow.
Yeah it sucks that loot is so level scaled but bro first time I got bow with double damage 2-3 levels higher than I am, I used only it with haste from rogue/pyro. Low perception? bless/mass bless from Geo.

Since stats do not matter THAT much - you get them during level ups, you get perks like Biggerstronger, you get lots of items +stat, my builds are p. much - 10 points into str/int/dex, items+levels into speed/constitutuin/perception - depending on char.

nice one, but you don't kill lvl 5 groups with that build. your chars are fucking weak. another one that can't read... wtf? you can kill lvl 2-3 with any build but don't tell me the game isn't linear. lvl 2-3 is normal for lvl 1 chars to kill. lvl 4 groups if you do it right. but that's all planed from the beginning. the point is you can't run around with lvl 1 and kill lvl 6 grps. it will be quite a stretch even at lvl 3.

Also, who's gonna heal you? 1 mage henchman for 3 other chars?
git gud fagget.

I like the game, a lot, but whether he's trolling by purposefully ignoring the good parts of the game or not, he makes some good points.
No, he is flat out lying about everything.
He's right about the scaling, and he's definitely right about the stat and level requirements on equipment.
But he isn't- stat requirment on equipment is not hard to get with a character 4/5 levels under the equipment. Sure, a dex-based guy can't wear a high-level robe, but that's true in pretty much every rpg.
It's stupid, especially the stat requirements, stats are horribly imbalanced from what I can tell.[/QUTE]
They...Aren't? Unless you are playing an hybrid, and in which case, /yes/, you are playing a character with more versatility so of course it won't have the same ability of high-end stuff. That's called balance.
He's also right about the content, I was thinking the same thing today.. Thinking about the encounters, the quests, etc. There is less content that it feels like there is, the slow pace makes it feel like you've done a lot more than you have.
There is a shit-ton of content, lots and lots of quests that are easy to miss, and lots and lots of quests that have 3/4 completely different ways to be solved. That he skipps the dialog just means he doesn't notice it. His fault.
Disagree about linearity, unless it turns out the enemies are scaled in a way that low levels can't beat them, I think an open world with strong enemies is fine. I've beat enemies lvl 5-6 with lvl 3 party before, it was challenging and fun, so I disagree on progression.
Yeah, thre is no hard linearity whatsoever, just difficulty checks.
[QOTE]Agree on the skill points
Why the heck do you agree on skill points? Skill points in sneaking/lockpikcing/loremaster are still important for specific playthroughs (sneak increase speed of sneaking which is crucial if you play a rogue with guerilla, loremaster makes it easier to know exactly how strong enemies are, lockpicking is /very/ useful and it being common on gear doesn't detract from it as the lockpicking checks are actually higher than usual, etc).
but not on the usefulness of the buffs, buffing magic schools and the like is dumb and not necessary.
This game is all about player freedom. Buffing magic makes hybrid classes much more powerful. It actually exist, too- i have found a couple items with mens-at-arms buff, for example.
I am pretty sure.
How would that even work? You take off the boots and lose 2 spells? Which ones? and is it permanent? Is skill book wasted?
Skill books being wasted would be logical, given how respec works. It also makes it much more dangerous to use such gear :D

K, LOL.
Other RPGs do it too huh? Well I guess that changes everything! Funny enough the only games that I can think of that have stat and level requirements on gear are MMOs, I guess I don't play enough shit games to have experienced that.
LOL. In your mind the stats are completely balanced, Dex increases CtH, effectiveness of ranged skills, your ability to ues armor and fucking weapons that are necessary to being able to beat anything. Yep, con and perception are totally balanced with that, what a joke.(We're also showered with attributes in this game aren't we?)
Maybe we have a different basis for comparison when it comes to content, anyway that wasn't the point, point was that the pacing made doing a handful of things feel like you've done more. I expressed that I didn't mind, so down fanboy, down.

Yep, there is freedom, unless CtH is scaled to level, which is something I'll test out eventually.
I agree on crafting because it feels like a waste to put points into those skills, not hard to understand.

"This game is all about player freedom" LOL, yet you just argued for shitty stat and level requirements on items, LOLOLOL, okay there bud. I haven't seen any items that boosted skill schools, can you show me a screencap of an item with that so we know you aren't talking out of your ass?

Sounds stupid, wouldn't bother, doesn't detract much from the game if it's there I guess, like you said freedom. Also good job arguing his point for him, now where's the screencap?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
At least Reapa has crushed the "every post on d:os is in one of the megathreads"-trends... More seperate themed thread-spam pls

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yes I miss the days when we had the same argument on 4 different threads

Except we didn't. Every thread debated the game from a different angle, usually. Now *everything* is in pne god damned thread. I can't even bring myself to open the damned things knowing I'll have to trawl through fifteen thousand "ermagerd I like/dislike this game" to even get to a post discussing something.

It's like all the crappy threads of yore were merged with sll the good ones, so now you have to get past all the sucky shit to get nuggets of stuff wirth your time.

Arkeus

Arcane
At least Reapa has crushed the "every post on d:os is in one of the megathreads"-trends... More seperate themed thread-spam pls
That would be a bit more true if there weren't already a thread dedicated to D:OS modding and another one dedicated to D:OS issues.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
That would be a bit more true if there weren't already a thread dedicated to D:OS modding and another one dedicated to D:OS issues.
modding is not about the actual game nor is issues

made

Arcane
Yes I miss the days when we had the same argument on 4 different threads

Except we didn't. Every thread debated the game from a different angle, usually. Now *everything* is in pne god damned thread. I can't even bring myself to open the damned things knowing I'll have to trawl through fifteen thousand "ermagerd I like/dislike this game" to even get to a post discussing something.

It's like all the crappy threads of yore were merged with sll the good ones, so now you have to get past all the sucky shit to get nuggets of stuff wirth your time.
Seriously. I'm not gonna sift through 60+ pages of generic comments and Sven fanboyism to find out if DSO in its current state is a waste of my precious time. Megathreads make sense for pre-release hype but they are worthless if you're looking for specific info about a game.

From the OP it seems like the game is in a "mods will fix it" state and I haven't seen any convincing arguments to the contrary ITT. To my knowledge, NPC schedules, day/night cycle and other features have still not been implemented, so I take it the game needs at least 6 more months to mature?

kris

Arcane
To my knowledge, NPC schedules, day/night cycle and other features have still not been implemented, so I take it the game needs at least 6 more months to mature?

to your knowledge, which game ever needed those two things?

made

Arcane
Those that promised them in their kickstarter pitch but ran out of time to implement them.

Perkel

Arcane
I think problems mentioned in OP are more or less valid.

Problem is game is much more than that. For every problem you have something that outshines problem.

For example mentioned crafting. Sure there are some weird recipes but crafting actually works and you can make fucking pizza and at the same time it is not overpowered like in NWN or MoTB
Sure it is bit old school with shit ton of things to do to create simple thing but at the same time it gives it this something that makes it fun and it doesn't become something like option in menu with autosorted everything with "junk" tab and so on.
Sure some skills at start are overpowered but at the same time combat isn't really easy. You need use every means necessary to deal with problems.
I play without any magic and i know that combat is not easy. Often i need to seriously think about what i am doing and most of the time AI can fuck up my plans with one poison arrow - fire arrow combo.
Sure quests and story aren't really amazing but at the same time because of those quests you can really roleplay in some cases
Sure co-op dialogs can be weird but there isn't anything in RPGs right now that can give you real PnP play.

Game is amazing but it is not perfect.

As you know i am not a fan of linear progression combat ( i am flat systems fan ) still combat gives much more depht than most of RPGs i have played.

For loot i totaly agree. Game would be much better without all loot being randomized and unique weapons should really be unique not just more powerful. So this means that Unique with 100% stun is bad Unique. Unique should be something like "there is chance to summon cats"

At the same time i think D:OS have one of the best if not the best combat encounter design in any RPG. There aren't any filler battles with shit mobs just for sake of it and encounter design always spin things instead of it baing plain fight on open terrain.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
I need to mention that the title was originally not named D:OS is worse than skyrim in every way. That was a mods idea to change the title cause they somehow don't want to acknowledge the seriousness of the thread. Then the "review" was done fast and from memory and does not have a well structured form. Nevertheless it does point out the main positive and negative aspects of the game.

For example mentioned crafting. Sure there are some weird recipes but crafting actually works and you can make fucking pizza and at the same time it is not overpowered like in NWN or MoTB
Sure it is bit old school with shit ton of things to do to create simple thing but at the same time it gives it this something that makes it fun and it doesn't become something like option in menu with autosorted everything with "junk" tab and so on.
1. If there is crafting in a game it's supposed to work. That's not a plus. It's like saying it has mouse or keyboard support as a pc game.
2. The main problem with crafting is probably its ties to the random loot system. If it's meant for the player to find out 4 himself what there is to craft it would be nice to have a little more detailed information on the crafting materials when it is not obvious what the materials are for. examples: intestines, fire/water/air/earth/void essence, rubies... Since the crafting system is pretty complex (love complex crafting systems) and the reward quality uncertain, 2 problems occur: 1. you lack the motivation to try everything out 2. you are afraid of using up your materials on recipes because you might need them later for something better, especially the rarer ones. Save scumming is not only not something you should have to do, it's also annoying since it takes like forever 4 each save in this game. Why save scumming? Because you don't even get told what kind of a ring you will get out of combining a ring kit with a magical piece of an animal. I'm even pretty sure not all recipes are to be found in books. There is one that tells you you can use a rabbit foot with pixie dust to create a magical rabbit foot and that with a ring kit or thread to create a ring or amulet. Since this is not diablo and the loot amount is limited and most probably you won't play the game more than once to the end in a certain period of time(months/years?) all you are left with is save scumming instead of a clearer description of materials... It works 4 the horadric cube, it doesn't work 4 this RPG.

Sure some skills at start are overpowered but at the same time combat isn't really easy. You need use every means necessary to deal with problems.
I play without any magic and i know that combat is not easy. Often i need to seriously think about what i am doing and most of the time AI can fuck up my plans with one poison arrow - fire arrow combo.
Positive:
area effects and status effects
(EDIT) turn based combat

Sure quests and story aren't really amazing but at the same time because of those quests you can really roleplay in some cases
Sure co-op dialogs can be weird but there isn't anything in RPGs right now that can give you real PnP play.
not sure what you mean. It's still not pnp an it's not supposed to be pnp, it's a cRPG or should be a cRPG. And a party of 2 + henchmen and always the same henchmen? on every playthrough? meh...

Game is amazing but it is not perfect.
This is where i disagree entirely and what upsets me the most. The game is not even not perfect, it's deeply and seriously flawed. Random loot/shitty loot (explained that in first post), weak/average writing and story design, weak liberty or almost linearity. Yes the combat is good but that doesn't excuse the rest. You get challenging fights from King's Bounty, it doesn't make it amazing. You put in some AI in there and you get Heroes of Might and Magic 3 which indeed, is amazing even without barrels or story or 3d graphics.

As you know i am not a fan of linear progression combat ( i am flat systems fan ) still combat gives much more depht than most of RPGs i have played.
At the same time i think D:OS have one of the best if not the best combat encounter design in any RPG. There aren't any filler battles with shit mobs just for sake of it and encounter design always spin things instead of it baing plain fight on open terrain.
There's filler battles all over the place. Every single battle that does not include a boss, solve a quest or give exceptional loot is filler combat and the game is full of it. Obstacles on the board is not something new, nor are barrels. Remember Kings Bounty. best combat encounter design? Oo not sure what this is about and what other games you are comparing it with.

For loot i totaly agree. Game would be much better without all loot being randomized and unique weapons should really be unique not just more powerful. So this means that Unique with 100% stun is bad Unique. Unique should be something like "there is chance to summon cats"
Thank you 4 that. As 4 the properties, I wouldn't go into that since it depends on the bosses' abilities. A unique sword with stun would be worthless against a boss immune to stun. Also when the game says it's 100% it means your opponent will be forced to make a save roll against it, it does not mean your opponent will be stunned.

I think problems mentioned in OP are more or less valid.
Again thank you (more or less :P)

Problem is game is much more than that. For every problem you have something that outshines problem.
too general to argue with

I also thank you 4 taking the time to write this. Codex needs more people who can read and discuss.

P.S. http://heroes.thelazy.net/wiki/List_of_creatures (this is creature diversity) http://heroes.thelazy.net/wiki/Artifacts (this is loot) note that the random loot in D:OS is not only random it also lacks sets. If you're gonna go with the diablo style, why forget sets? Also at lvl 11 i have about 5-6 legendary amulets all with about the same +1 to 3 different stats. This shit is not legendary, it's not even special in any way.

Well, at least that statement is true.

Question: Do you actually fucking think that D:OS is worse than Skyrim? Or are you just trying to be provocative?
Anyway, I'm almost certain that CtH is level scaled, testing isn't perfect, but my non combat character, who has not improved in any way related to stats or skills outside of speed has went from 3-21% CtH in about 3 levels.

Zeriel

Arcane
CTH is based on level difference, but it's not something that can't be overcome.

Which is better: level difference giving a pre-determined CTH malus/bonus or higher level enemies being given higher defense manually in the editor so as to provide a challenge?

Same end result.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom