Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why are Strength and Constitution never merged ?

Murk

Arcane
Those numbers are way too high. a stat of 16 is practically superhuman and the only person here who would have more than 14 in more than one stat would be, quite obviously, Cleve.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mine would be...

STR 6 (dump stat and -2 penalty for my disability)
DEX 10 (huh? What happened?)
CON 17 (after all shit I got through and I'm going to, also perfect blood test)
INT 10 (I'm not quite an intelligent person, though it doesn't bother me :cool: )
WIS 9 (Fuck school)
CHA 9 (I'm introvert and a little fat but some people are okay with that and talk with me)

What class would be good for me? Shit... some kind of a tank.

Panthera

Scholar
Black Cat said:
I can't believe Teh Codex just went into Hey buddy buds, look! Those are my dungeons and dragons stat numbers, nya! territory.

:decline:

Seriously, I feel like I'm back in public school.

Black_Willow

Arcane
Black Cat said:
I can't believe Teh Codex just went into Hey buddy buds, look! Those are my dungeons and dragons stat numbers, nya! territory.

So what are your stats? 90/60/90 or worse?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
In regards to the OP, certain PnP systems do separate these do. A notable example these days would be CthulhuTech, which has only two purely physical primary stats (Strength and Agility) to begin with. The other physical stats are secondaries based on the primary stats, ie, hit points are made from 5 + the average of your Strength + Tenacity.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Black Cat said:
This. Almost as bad as the "How did you name you dog in Dragon Age ?" thread.

Black_Willow said:
So what are your stats? 90/60/90 or worse?
Careful with those. Real life stats, contrary to D&D ones, are not international. In the US, these would make a HUGE kitty.

Zeus

Cipher
Black Cat said:

I wonder why Black Cat doesn't want us posting our stats?

CAT
Size/Type: Tiny Animal
Hit Dice: 1/2 d8 (2 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 14 (+2 size, +2 Dex), touch 14, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/–12
Attack: Claw +4 melee (1d2–4)
Full Attack: 2 claws +4 melee (1d2–4) and bite –1 melee (1d3–4)
Space/Reach: 2-1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +1
Abilities: Str 3, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 7
Skills: Balance +10, Climb +6, Hide +14 +16*, Jump +10, Listen +3, Move Silently +6 +8, Spot +3
Feats: Stealthy, Weapon FinesseB
Environment: Temperate plains
Organization: Domesticated or solitary
Challenge Rating: 1/4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

The statistics presented here describe a common housecat.

...2 HP? Ouch.

zenbitz

Scholar
1d2-4 damage claws, and 1d3-4 bite?
So it heals you??

Or is there some late edition D&D critical hit that allows a housecat to have some chance of scratching your eye out.

When my cat was a kitten, he actually jumped up and bit THROUGH my lip with his tiny little kitten fangs. While it smarted a bit, I cast Cure Light Wounds and was fine.

Murk

Arcane
There's a minimum of 1 damage so long as no DR is involved. They have such small attack-die for their natural weapons because of their size modifier. The high negative damage modifiers ensure that even a critical is mostly just a minor scratch and that 5 cats won't be able to massacre an entire peasant population... tho I'm sure there are some groups that play exactly that scenario and see how far their +8 to move silently and jump can get them.

also - housecats can have more than 2hp, they actually get half of a d8 (so theoretically they can have up to 4hp), where-as commoners are stuck with a d4 (meaning both a cat and a commoner can have the same amount of HP)

Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mikayel said:
There's a minimum of 1 damage so long as no DR is involved. They have such small attack-die for their natural weapons because of their size modifier. The high negative damage modifiers ensure that even a critical is mostly just a minor scratch and that 5 cats won't be able to massacre an entire peasant population... tho I'm sure there are some groups that play exactly that scenario and see how far their +8 to move silently and jump can get them.

also - housecats can have more than 2hp, they actually get half of a d8 (so theoretically they can have up to 4hp), where-as commoners are stuck with a d4 (meaning both a cat and a commoner can have the same amount of HP)

*L* Small animals are fucking dangerous for 1st level adventurers. Their high to hit rolls are murderous.
I remember once having a 3-man party wiped out by 5 rats.

Murk

Arcane
You do realize that an INT of 20 is basically an IQ of 200, right?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Mikayel said:
Those numbers are way too high.

Of course! That's where all the fun comes from ;)

What's that stat system, Dire Roach?
I hope it's a PC game, cause as PnP, I could imagine that to be just.... too much.
Rolemaster, anyone? That was sick. Weapon tables... my worst nightmares...[/quote]

zenbitz said:
1d2-4 damage claws, and 1d3-4 bite?
So it heals you??

Or is there some late edition D&D critical hit that allows a housecat to have some chance of scratching your eye out.

When my cat was a kitten, he actually jumped up and bit THROUGH my lip with his tiny little kitten fangs. While it smarted a bit, I cast Cure Light Wounds and was fine.

In 2nd edition DnD (not sure about later ones) a level one mage was calculated to be a 50-50 chance against a housecat, assuming that the mage had no con bonus, but had memorised optimal spells for the level:). I'm pretty sure it was 50-50 on the grounds of whoever got first attack would win.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
STR 11
DEX 9
CON 16
INT 14
WIS 14
CHA 12

Nothing like Cleve's CON 20 solid bones, of course, but I've taken my fair share of knockings without much lasting injury.

In 2nd edition DnD (not sure about later ones) a level one mage was calculated to be a 50-50 chance against a housecat, assuming that the mage had no con bonus, but had memorised optimal spells for the level:). I'm pretty sure it was 50-50 on the grounds of whoever got first attack would win.

And since housecats are stealthy and have good jumping distance, it's pretty certain who's going to get the drop on who.

zenbitz

Scholar
Azrael the cat said:

I miss Murphy's Rules.

bhlaab

Erudite
So you're forced to choose between

High Offense/Low Defense
Low Offense/High Defense
Med Offense/Med Defense

Having both for the same stat would make for a fairly bland jack of all trades fighter

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
STR 9 Average.
DEX 8 I'm a bit clumsy.
CON 8 I'm a bit sickly.
INT 12 A bit above average.
WIS 8 Yeah, I'm a bit crazy.
CHA 9 I'm introverted.

Mikayel said:
Those numbers are way too high. a stat of 16 is practically superhuman and the only person here who would have more than 14 in more than one stat would be, quite obviously, Cleve.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom