Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why do people hate Oblivion so much?

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath

r1LCz7B.jpg

That comment section is filled with heartfelt admiration for Oblivion. Talking about it like a beloved classic. :hearnoevil:

Because: instead of creating a improved successor of Morrowind, Bethesa decided to conquer the profitable console market instead. They just looked at what other successful xbawx games did and made that the new features.

Asided from shiny graphics being the main selling point at the time, one common assumption was console players tend to play only realtively short session of ~30 mins. They need to be able to jump right into the action, get some "challenging" fights and a shiny reward, before they log off again.

So... there cannot be any restrictions for them to do what they want rite nao! Or there will be angry posts on the internets.

Become arena champion at level 5? If they want to.
Become archmage without even being able to cast a spell? Sure thing.
Clear any dungeon/gate you come across without failing and walk away with phat lewt? Yup.
Walking on a road for 5 mins without any leveled monster coming out of the woodworks? Nah, that would make them log off.

Obviously console players rank Lolblivion much higher, while players coming from Morrowind (or earlier) feel unsurpsingly let down. Especially because the journalists overhyped the shit out of the game, making it (to me!) the first and most memorable example of "bought ratings".

Well, at least Beth found out with FO76, that even console players may have standards to be met. :hahano:

But Morrorwind was already a successful Xbox game, and Oblivion came years after better first person games on Xbox. I'm not even sure what Xbox games could be looked at and pointed to as Bethesda having taken features from for Oblivion; although I can think of Xbox games I wish they had, game probably wouldn't have sucked so much.

Okagron

Prophet
Yeah, the brilliant Radiant AI, where two people would speak with each other, say goodbye to each other, walk away, then walk back to each other and talk again. And have personalities? Whatever Bethesda thinks passes as personalities. Such "well-realized" characters.

Fuck, the nostalgia for this piece of shit game is so bad that it borderlines Stockholm Syndrome at this point.

Aemar

Arcane
The thread title is wrong.

It should be 'Why do you people hate Oblivion, yet sink 1000+ hours into it?'
You need to invest at least 1337 hours of your time in order to obtain a correct understanding when it comes to video games, a theory that has its origins on this site. 1000 hours means you've barely scratched the surface.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
The thread title is wrong.

It should be 'Why do you people hate Oblivion, yet sink 1000+ hours into it?'
You need to invest at least 1337 hours of your time in order to obtain a correct understanding when it comes to video games, a theory that has its origins on this site. 1000 hours means you've barely scratched the surface.
I think you got it wrong. Let me explain it to you, o newcomer.

If you invest 1337+ hours into a game, it's shit (see: any Bethesda game).
If you invest less that that, it's good for what it is (see: people ragequitting Wizardry about 5 minutes in).
If you don't play it at all, it's great (see: Baldur's Gate).

mogwaimon

Magister
People tend to forget that Oblivion was basically a launch title on the Xbox 360. I bought that thing a few months after launch and Oblivion was like, the only good game on the system at that time as far as I remember. I was coming from Morrowind on Xbox, true, but for many people it was not only one of the few games available on the 360 at the time but also their first taste of the open world hiking sandbox experience that Bethesda provides so they had no idea of the decline

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
People tend to forget that Oblivion was basically a launch title on the Xbox 360. I bought that thing a few months after launch and Oblivion was like, the only good game on the system at that time as far as I remember. I was coming from Morrowind on Xbox, true, but for many people it was not only one of the few games available on the 360 at the time but also their first taste of the open world hiking sandbox experience that Bethesda provides so they had no idea of the decline

Oblivion has so much to offer even for people who don't like RPGs. It was probably the most ambitious open world game of it's generation.

retinoid

Savant
The only thing that Oblivion had going for it, at least on PC, was the fairly advanced HDR lighting for the time. Probably the only instance of Bethesda being ahead of their competitors graphically. The Havok physics and ragdolls were also fairly impressive, which of course meant Bethesda dumbed them down in Skyrim.

Last edited:

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
The speechcraft minigame was fucking stupid. Instead of finding out what the person likes or dislikes through dialogue like a normal conversation, you have a dumb minigame where the npc does stupid faces everytime you hover a specific part of the speechcraft wheel.
Yeah, the brilliant Radiant AI, where two people would speak with each other, say goodbye to each other, walk away, then walk back to each other and talk again. And have personalities? Whatever Bethesda thinks passes as personalities. Such "well-realized" characters.

Fuck, the nostalgia for this piece of shit game is so bad that it borderlines Stockholm Syndrome at this point.
Implying this piece of shit game has anything to offer for people looking for a RPG.
Mein gott!
What did Oblivion do to you man?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
why are people bashing this game so hard?

Why are you so dumb? The entire Elder Scrolls series is action dogshit for console retards. It pretends to have RPG elements but they get stripped out constantly after it being so shallow and superficial to begin with. It isn't a good RPG and yet it isn't good action game either. You can't dodge or lean, even jumping is weird and slow motion. Mobs are all in small numbers and can be one shotted most of the time. At least shit like Serious Sam had the presence of mind to add lots of them that charge at you, and with just enough HP that you had to back pedal constantly. It is just an incredibly boring, one button action game. Even shit like Doom has several weapons to tab to, Elder Scrolls games have one. A sword. And maybe a firework. It is the shittest action game ever. Also you can't use more than one spell without wrangling with the garbage interface, even pausing the game entire.

The RPG elements are a joke. There are a handful of spells that are all one dimensional and not interesting. There is no way to control the enemies to make being a spell caster even viable at first. The only way is to build as a battle mage which is a boring way to play. Or you just spam a spell against a wall to level it up and then suddenly you can 1 shot everything with your firebolt. The quests are all fedex chores with terrible writing. The story and characters are all garbage and all voice acted by the same person, who always has an annoying retarded sounding voice. The world is completely one dimensional. An entire game of mud, then an entire game of hills with grass, then an entire game with snow. Miraculously the last one had a bit of grass too. Compare this to a game I played 20 years ago that had a volcanic area with lava flowing, a desert region with an oasis, vast plains, a dark forest that was so foggy you could barely see, a lost city completely underwater, a swamp with frogs and tadpoles and weeds, an ancient castle controlled by a vampire that was all grey stone and stained glass with gargoyles that come alive, a mountain region, a typical haunted house, etc.. etc.... etc........ Then there are the dungeons. In the Elder Scrolls games they are barely more than a straight tunnel with a big room at the end. Again in a 20 year old there are dungeons with extremely complex layouts that go down underground, and dungeons that go upwards through a tower. Doors that need lockpicking, floors that are made of ice that make you keep moving when you stop, surrounded by traps and enemies. Fake walls with entire complex layouts beyond them. Naturally growing crystals that drain your mana if you stand near them, yet there is a bottleneck there so it is very difficult to fight through. Fake floors that you fall through into a pit. Sometimes you fall into a locked prison cell which you then have to escape. Multiple boss enemies that have complex AI and a dozen spells that each need to be reacted to.

In other words, a real RPG shits all over every Elder Scrolls game, as does a real action game. The reason Oblivion is hated the most is because it is the shallowest and worst of the series. They removed a lot of depth and fun things that were in the game before it which is inexcusable. The oblivion gates were a key part of the game yet incredibly boring and repetitive. The main quest could be completed in a single sitting. All the stuff that makes this series crap, yet the worst version of it. I can understand a console tard praising these games, because they don't know any better. They have low IQ's and also have no frame of reference. They have never even seen an RPG with a party that wasn't a childish Final Fantasy game. The few action RPG games that aren't completely terrible like Kingdoms of Amalur or Dragons Dogma are too low budget to be noticed by the average dimwit console moron, and are also too recent to have had time to sink in yet. But a PC player talking about these games with anything other than scornful disappointment is a total moron.

Last edited:

Okagron

Prophet
When a game needs some many mods to even become slightly enjoyable, i don't even bother. Mods should fix mostly minor stuff (the only major thing being bugs) and add new things, not basically make what the devs should have done in the first place. It is really telling of the vanilla experience when you need to install what is basically a laundry list of mods that pretty much change everything.

My point is that vanilla experience needs to be good in the first place and then have mods make it even better. Not have the vanilla experience be a total shitshow and then have mods make it even just slightly tolerable.

Last edited:

It's just simulating that thing that happens when you're at a movie theatre with your friends, you all say your goodbyes at the door, and then end up walking in the same direction as them to your car and have to talk again.

Okagron

Prophet
Mein gott!
The harbinger of decline. Instead of getting actual good RPGs, we have morons praising this shit like it's an actual good game. This game is pretty much responsible for Bethesda dumbing down their games to the extreme and hence why we got garbage like Fallout 3, Skyrim and Fallout 4. People basically said to Bethesda this is what they want and Bethesda obliged instead of people telling them they want actual, true RPG mechanics, and not a theme park where even a baby can beat the game.

So yes, this game pisses me off. Instead of being excited for the next Elder Scrolls and wonder what they will add and improve, we wonder what will they take out now. Oblivion caused this.

The funny part is that this was my first Elder Scrolls and i actually enjoyed it at first. But after playing an actual RPG, with true RPG mechanics, it made me realize how much garbage this game is and how the praise it gets is completely undeserved.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
after playing an actual RPG, with true RPG mechanics, it made me realize how much garbage this game is and how the praise it gets is completely undeserved.
Brings a tear to my eye to see a glimmer of hope for the next generation of codexers.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Mein gott!
The harbinger of decline. Instead of getting actual good RPGs, we have morons praising this shit like it's an actual good game. This game is pretty much responsible for Bethesda dumbing down their games to the extreme and hence why we got garbage like Fallout 3, Skyrim and Fallout 4. People basically said to Bethesda this is what they want and Bethesda obliged instead of people telling them they want actual, true RPG mechanics, and not a theme park where even a baby can beat the game.

So yes, this game pisses me off. Instead of being excited for the next Elder Scrolls and wonder what they will add and improve, we wonder what will they take out now. Oblivion caused this.

The funny part is that this was my first Elder Scrolls and i actually enjoyed it at first. But after playing an actual RPG, with true RPG mechanics, it made me realize how much garbage this game is and how the praise it gets is completely undeserved.
It was equal parts incline and decline from Morrowind.

Incline
- best side quests from a story perspective in the franchise, bar none
- best overall dungeon design in the franchise
- NPCs all had their own schedules, moved around the map, and interacted with each other
- shops aren't perpetually open for business
- decent physics system is in place
- voiced dialogue for something around 1,000 NPCs, and no more wikipedia
- stealth is finally a thing, hand-to-hand is very viable, and magic doesn't break the game as easily
- removal of dumb fucking dice roll combat that never made any sense whatsoever
- map isn't complete trash

Decline
- shitty journal and quest marker blow fat dicks
- despite good on-the-rails stories, an utter lack of C&C
- skill removal
- few factions, and removal of sub-factions within those factions
- no more tying faction rank to skills
- fewer dialogue options
- scales to your level

after playing an actual RPG, with true RPG mechanics, it made me realize how much garbage this game is and how the praise it gets is completely undeserved.
Brings a tear to my eye to see a glimmer of hope for the next generation of codexers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom