Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why do people hate Oblivion so much?

PorkBarrellGuy

Anvi and mfkndggrfll in the same thread?

RETARD FIGHT! RETARD FIGHT!

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Punch yourself in the face then.

Meanwhile I'll keep delivering the opposite of retardedness for people with brains.

whxg5f.jpg

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Punch yourself in the face then.

Meanwhile I'll keep delivering the opposite of retardedness for people with brains.

whxg5f.jpg
*Most Skyrim and Morrowind dungeons, but not Oblvion and Daggerfall

Here is 1 zone of a 4 zone dungeon in Oblivion. There are plenty of similar examples.
1014pxOBmapTheOldWay.jpg

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The one good thing about the fish / hawk / whatever puzzle is that it let me know just how low of an IQ they made that game for. That is their target audience, people who find it puzzling to identify a fish or a bird.

Last edited:

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
Mein gott!
What did Oblivion do to you man?
The harbinger of decline. Instead of getting actual good RPGs, we have morons praising this shit like it's an actual good game. This game is pretty much responsible for Bethesda dumbing down their games to the extreme and hence why we got garbage like Fallout 3, Skyrim and Fallout 4. People basically said to Bethesda this is what they want and Bethesda obliged instead of people telling them they want actual, true RPG mechanics, and not a theme park where even a baby can beat the game.

So yes, this game pisses me off. Instead of being excited for the next Elder Scrolls and wonder what they will add and improve, we wonder what will they take out now. Oblivion caused this.

The funny part is that this was my first Elder Scrolls and i actually enjoyed it at first. But after playing an actual RPG, with true RPG mechanics, it made me realize how much garbage this game is and how the praise it gets is completely undeserved.

You aren't fooling anyone here buddy, we all know that you don't actually play RPGs let alone good ones. You haven't played most of the OG classics and never will because you aren't an actual fan of the genre.

You enjoyed the game at first but then you started hanging around NMA and started parroting anti-Bethesda bullshit like a sheep just so you could gain acceptance and respect among these cucks. You haven't even played the entire TES series and pretend that you know where the decline started.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
I never said Ultima wasn't multi-tiered, son. Rather, I implied that it is by directly comparing it to Daggerfall.

Anyway, what exactly is your point?

Cael

Arcane
I never said Ultima wasn't multi-tiered, son. Rather, I implied that it is by directly comparing it to Daggerfall.

Anyway, what exactly is your point?
Arena, Oblivion, Skyrim and Morrowind had shit and short dungeons.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Wrap it up guys. Cael -- who's only video game experience clearly consists of playing Skyrim: SE and watching countless Let's Play videos of classic CRPGs to fit in with the Codex -- has decreed arguably the most successful RPG franchise of all time is fraught with bad dungeons.

mogwaimon

Magister
he's not wrong, most of skyrim's dungeons are forgettable short romps, usually with loot far inferior to that which you can get with max enchanting and either a dragon or a lich thing at the end guarding a thu'um letter.

Cael

Arcane
he's not wrong, most of skyrim's dungeons are forgettable short romps, usually with loot far inferior to that which you can get with max enchanting and either a dragon or a lich thing at the end guarding a thu'um letter.
Same with Oblivion, especially the gates, and I can't remember a single good long dungeon in Morrowind.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
The vast majority of Skyrim's dungeons are shit. Low water point in the franchise by a longshot.
Morrowind had a ton of shitty ones, but at least there were legit good ones too, mostly Dwemer.
Daggerfall and Oblivion were both good dungeon crawlers.

Same with Oblivion, especially the gates, and I can't remember a single good long dungeon in Morrowind.
The gates were good and had decent puzzles. Their only problems were superfluity and level scaling making the gameplay filling those dungeons lackluster.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Both games revolved almost entirely around crawling through dungeons. Codex calls Daggerfall one of the top 50 CRPGs of all time. Oblivion sold an assload of copies and heralded the grand age of TES decline that brought us Skyrim. So yeah, they're both good for crawling around countless dungeons.

deuxhero

Arcane
Skyrim dungeons had shit loot, but at least some had interesting design parts. Oblivion's dungeons were all just mashed up parts (or worse, one of a random layout with only a handful of variations) for all but a handful of important quest dungeons.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Skyrim had maybe 4 dungeons total (non-DLC) that weren't completely linear. If they put the Dragonborn in a rail cart and had him jump over chasms like an old Donkey Kong platformer, it would've been more or less the same experience. Skyrim had the prettiest dungeons though.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
At least you're catching on.

But in seriousness, about 70% of what I said is true. Take that as you will.

MWaser

Arbiter
Incline
- best side quests from a story perspective in the franchise, bar none
- best overall dungeon design in the franchise
- NPCs all had their own schedules, moved around the map, and interacted with each other
- shops aren't perpetually open for business
- decent physics system is in place
- voiced dialogue for something around 1,000 NPCs, and no more wikipedia
- stealth is finally a thing, hand-to-hand is very viable, and magic doesn't break the game as easily
- removal of dumb fucking dice roll combat that never made any sense whatsoever
- map isn't complete trash

Decline
- shitty journal and quest marker blow fat dicks
- despite good on-the-rails stories, an utter lack of C&C
- skill removal
- few factions, and removal of sub-factions within those factions
- no more tying faction rank to skills
- fewer dialogue options
- scales to your level
Nice attempt at defending Oblivion fam, however:
- the better dungeon design is undone by the very existince of quest compass, which makes it infinitely less satisfying to wander around them, as it constantly points you to the end destination on the map
- this voiced dialogue would have been better off not existing, considering the quality of it
- "magic doesn't break the game as easily" is achieved by completely castrating the magic/enchantment system into very streamlined versions, and by removing a lot of the power that those mechanics allowed
- the level scaling in Oblivion is so fucking badly executed above all else that it single-handedly undoes most positive aspects of Oblivion

Skyrim had maybe 4 dungeons total (non-DLC) that weren't completely linear. If they put the Dragonborn in a rail cart and had him jump over chasms like an old Donkey Kong platformer, it would've been more or less the same experience. Skyrim had the prettiest dungeons though.
The prettiness of the dungeons in comparison with Donkey Kong platformers, how fitting.

Because Donkey Kong Country games look great, but are boring as hell to play through.

Last edited:

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Compasses have single-handedly ruined CRPGs. It's incredible how much one small thing can unleash a torrent of flaccid dicks rushing towards your asshole, only to never penetrate -- oh the letdown, oh the humanity!
The level scaling is just awful. But the silver lining is that, if you don't think about it and just play the game as if being level 1 was actually a detriment, it extends the challenge into the late game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom