Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why do people hate Oblivion so much?

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Why not just install one of the leveling mods. There is a real simple open called better leveling list i think and doesnt change anything beyond removing level scaling unlike some other overhauls.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Oblivion had the first great shield bash implementation making combat fun along with sneak and bow work. Given the level scaling I just put all my active skills in minors and ignore level up almost entirely. Certainly slows it down. The worse thing that can happen in Oblivion is to level up or open a chest. Always a profound disappointment in both cases. Play like that and I can enjoy the fun quest designs with a bunch of graphics mods. The game can be real immersive - I love running around in it. Oh yeah never trigger the main quest. EVER
The worst thing that can happen with Oblivion is that you install it.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
I guess there's new readers so why not repeat again and again the same things.

Oblivion was a huge disappointment for me. Not everything was bad in it; the action-RPG combat was kind of fun compared to Morrowind auto combat, and made sense for a 1st-person game. Some of the world content like the Gray Fox was alright. But most of the gameworld was so bland and uninteresting... System was dumbed down, UI was consolized, everything felt so empty and pointless. Oblivion-Gates were so terribly repetitive and long, I truly feared them more because of the timewaste ordeal they meant than because of their apocalyptic significance. Open world but everything was linear. Trivial minigame for NPC interaction was stupid. Quest map markers removed any challenge. In sum, a very mediocre game on which I had put huge expectations so many years after Morrowind.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
This is nonsense because Mine Cart Madness is far more engaging and difficult than anything in Skyrim. It has shortcuts, optional extras in the form of collectables, pitfalls, and requires precise timing and reflexes.

It also has better music.
But you only get to play as a monkey, whereas in TES you can play as a cat.

DraQ

Arcane
People hate Oblivion because it's shit, declined TES and declined RPGs in general - well, duh?

Oblivion had the first great shield bash implementation making combat fun along with sneak and bow work.
Oblivion had no shield bash implementation.

Deadly reflex mod for oblivion added one, along with a lot of functionality and more or less workable combat mechanics.

Credit is not due.

Okagron

Prophet
Oblivion's shield bash was random everytime you blocked, which was fucking stupid. And gotta love the "if you mod the hell out of it and ignore at least half of the game, it's good". Game is shit regardless if you do that.

Last edited:

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
People hate Oblivion because it's shit, declined TES and declined RPGs in general - well, duh?

Oblivion had the first great shield bash implementation making combat fun along with sneak and bow work.
Oblivion had no shield bash implementation.

Deadly reflex mod for oblivion added one, along with a lot of functionality and more or less workable combat mechanics.

Credit is not due.
Read the manual dumbfuck.
Shield bash is in vanilla.

Deleted Member 16721

This thread is making me want to reinstall with a bunch of mods and overhauls. Would anyone recommend those mod superpacks?

retinoid

Savant
This thread is making me want to reinstall with a bunch of mods and overhauls. Would anyone recommend those mod superpacks?
Mad Man mode: FCOM + Maskar's Overhaul (be prepared for the worst modding experience of your life, but the reward is glorious if you can get a stable configuration)
Lazy mode: Maskar's Overhaul

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Except it is in fact a shield bash and no one gives a fuck what you consider.
And the info is in the game manual, you dont even to play the game to find this out.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
giphy.gif

Funposter

Arcane
I'm modding this terrible game as we speak, and it's a pain in the ass. Modding Morrowind is fun because the game is already good, and modding Skyrim (SE) is fun because the community has set up trillions of guides that more-or-less allow you to mod the game into a near-playable state with your eyes closed. It also looks PRETTY. Oblivion is just dreadful. Any small fuck up, even while using MO2 or Wrye Bash, seems to affect the game in such a way that you need to reinstall because it stops reading the ini file or whatever. Shadow/lighting implementation on ENBs is shoddy at best and some of them have a tendency to break the most popular UI mod, and Oblivion Reloaded seems to receive periodic updates which break everything, meaning that the problems you're encountering are not the same problems that people has six months ago. Want to quicksave or autosave in Chorrol or Bruma? Go fuck yourself, the game crashes.

Oblivion Reloaded was also updated to straight up no longer work with ENBs, so if you don't want to deal with the headache of sort of making them work together, you get to fuck around with the ini files for OR's various shaders. This of course requires work, which is anathema to me. Also you can't use the Enhanced Camera or Mounted Combat mods, instead having to opt for OR's own in-bilt versions. Think you can just get away with turning the features off in the config file, deleting the relevent meshes, and installing the mods anyway? Nice try, dumbshit. The game crashes. Getting Morrowind to LOOK GUD basically requires you to download MGE XE and maybe overwrite some shaders, like with that tropical water mod, or maybe mess with the lighting coefficents when using the STEP shaders. This takes two minutes. Getting Skyrim to look nice is slightly more involved, because while the ENB binaries are more advanced, and easier to install thanks to the ENB manager (which I tried with Oblivion, resulting in it spewing all the files back into the main folder anyway), you do need to fuck around a bit with DynDOLOD, but that's easy enough once you've watched a tutorial.

Of course, once you finally get all of this shit working, the modding scene is pretty decent. You have over a decade's worth of things to pick from, with plenty of mods that sort of fix the combat (nothing on the level of Skyrim's Ultimate Combat 3.0 mind you), mods that add plenty more quests to factions (faction mods for Skyrim are dreadful or non-existant), and a variety of total gameplay overhauls that sort of play nicely with one another. Maskar's Overhaul is really fun from the small amount of it that I have played around with while testing. Like Skyrim, it seems to be less about playing a video game, and more about LARPing, but the vanilla western fantasy aesthetic gives you oppurtunities to LARP in a different way. There's even mods to add some of the functionality back to magic, without having to use the ridiculous Midas Magic mods etc.

All I could really ask for now is some sort of functioning Damage Threshold/AR system, so that blunt weapons actually have a reason to exist (did you know all Maces do the same damage as equivalent Longswords, but swing slower?), and maybe a climbing mod ala. Maskar's Overhaul, but that was actually tied to the Acrobatics skill.

RaptorRex888

Learned
Their Oblivion Let's Play is pretty good for anyone thats interested. Full console plebs though, seeing it played on 360 just makes you wonder how people can stand games under 30fps.

Squid

Arbiter
Their Oblivion videos 1 through 4 are all hilarious in my opinion. The 4th gets me because he almost looks like he did capture work for Oblivion,. But that would imply clay monsters from a terrible abyss weren't used.

Deleted Member 16721

I don't hate Oblivion, I quite like it, level scaling and all. That said, you guys realize we haven't really seen true Radiant AI yet, right? It was scrapped for both Oblivion and Skyrim. Originally it was supposed to be much more fleshed out, but they ran into problems with it and had to trim it down to the very basic level we see in those 2 games. I hope for TES VI we see real Radiant AI that the devs originally wanted to implement. It might be possible now with the current level of technology.

I'm thinking of doing a vanilla-ish run of Morrowind and Oblivion. I can't get enough of the TES lore and I want to revisit these 2 classics to experience the lore and worlds again. I might install some quest mod packs that add more questlines but overall I'd stick to vanilla-ish mostly.

For anyone interested, Zaric Zhakeron has an excellent TES lore series. Check it out on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGEQeuu_Hrk&list=PL9qQ3PJcmlrfH6a799s6iNHkXzgcbSlky&index=2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom