Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

why do so many people here hate modern games ?

Codex Year of the Donut
Most of the forum is afraid to admit they even like certain games because they may no longer be seen as cool.

You're like those snowflakes who believe the racism in GD is only ironic.
Here's the games people who are members of the Steam RPGCodex group are playing right now:
z4B8S4q.png

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Witcher 3 could have been a classic from the storytelling point of view. But developers can't process what made previous games great. If you look at previous RPGs from BG to ME, fans appreciated the party interactions in whatever form they took. So with W3 they had the chance to interpret that in their own way by making the game focussed more on Geralt's companions.

Instead you spend the majority of the game and its voice over budget talking to no-name NPCs. They could have cut all that shit in half, and moved more resources into companion/main character quests and stories, and the game would have been infinitely better. It would have brought out its main strength (the story) further.

Drowed

Arcane
The Witcher 3 - I like it, good for what it is.
DOS/DOS2 - Ditto above, I like Larian's humor. The balancing the combat is shitty, though.
Dark souls - Good for what it is, and cool setting.
Dragon Age Inquision - Well, here you got me, it's bad.
Pathfinder - I really like it.
Baldurs Gate 3 - Dunno, don't play games on EA.
Pillars of Eternity - Good-ish. The problem is less what the game is, and more what it promised to be. (Pillars 2 however has an imbecilic plothole).
Solasta - Good for an RPG made by an indie group, with its characteristic amateurism at certain points. It suffers after the mid-game, but the same is true for 90% of RPGs.

All in all, the truth is that most modern RPGs have a very different design from the games that many here like. So of course many people will criticize them if they have flaws that games created 2 decades ago had already solved.

barghwata

Savant
i know that most modern games rarely come up with something new , something that puts our mind to work but everytime a new game releases people on this forum like to shit on it especially rpgs

the witcher 3 - shit on
DOS/DOS2 - shit on
Dark souls - shit on
dragon age inquision - shit on
pathfinder - shit on
Baldurs gate 3 - shit on
pillars of eternity - shit on
solasta crown of the magister - shit on

and many more , i agree that games like horizon forbidden west suck because of the bland story and characters but the one from above are really good , the only modern rpg that seems acceptable here is elex

Because blindly shitting on everything new and worshipping everything old makes codexers feel special, smarter then everyone else, also nostalgia obviously.

Then again just like a broken clock can be correct two times a day, they can be justified in their hatred of some modern games, dragon age inquisition and pillars for example are shit, not because they're new games, they're just bad games.

Mortmal

Arcane
Most of the forum is afraid to admit they even like certain games because they may no longer be seen as cool.

Here's the games people who are members of the Steam RPGCodex group are playing right now:
z4B8S4q.png
Do it after elex 2 release , then do it after star field release. Results will be very interesting .

wishbonetail

Learned
Witcher 3 could have been a classic from the storytelling point of view. But developers can't process what made previous games great. If you look at previous RPGs from BG to ME, fans appreciated the party interactions in whatever form they took. So with W3 they had the chance to interpret that in their own way by making the game focussed more on Geralt's companions.

Instead you spend the majority of the game and its voice over budget talking to no-name NPCs.They could have cut all that shit in half, and moved more resources into companion/main character quests and stories, and the game would...

...still be a popamole, mmo-tier, ubi-sandbox with cutscenes.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

z4B8S4q.png

What exactly is the problem?

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Instead you spend the majority of the game and its voice over budget talking to no-name NPCs.They could have cut all that shit in half, and moved more resources into companion/main character quests and stories, and the game would...

...still be a popamole, mmo-tier, ubi-sandbox with cutscenes.

Yeah, but it'd be a popamole, mmo-tier, ubi-sandbox game with great cutscenes and an awesome story centered around Geralt and his companions.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

z4B8S4q.png
Lost Ark looked for a moment interesting, but it's a MMORPG.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Grognard

Etymology
From French grognard (“grumbler”).

Pronunciation
  • IPA(key): /ˈɡɹɔnjɑɹ/, /ˈɡɹoʊn.jɑɹd/, /ˈɡɹɑɡ.nɑɹd/
Noun
grognard (plural grognards) (or just nards)

1. An old soldier.
  2. (historical) A soldier of the original imperial guard that was created by Napoleon I in 1804 and that made the final French charge at Waterloo.
  3. (games, slang) Someone who enjoys [citation needed] playing older war-games or roleplaying games, or older versions of such games, when newer ones are available.
    James is such a grognard, he only plays the original edition of Dungeons and Dragons.
  4. (Military) A soldier or enthusiast in attention to detail for rules and regulations. Respected as an expert in things most people don’t care about.

samoilaaa

Educated
Because modern games are increasingly braindead and treat you like you‘re braindead, too
games like pathfinder or divinity original sin 2 treat you like u are braindead? there were some rly good puzzle that forced you to think , alot of my friends droped DOS2 because of the puzzles

pomenitul

Arbiter
Doesn't matter how specious their reasons are (and they often are just that), this is a cyber-quarantine for the pure, undiluted hatred that gets edged out of more mainstream CRPG spaces. I partly blame contemporary video game journalists for this state of affairs. Their archetypally American hyperbole, their unwarranted peppiness, their unwillingness to up the ante – all of these have been amped up to such extremes that they've unwittingly fertilized breeding grounds for nihilism and contempt such as this one. Cultural criticism in general is going the way of the dodo because of this enforced aversion to negativity, which necessarily yields its cathartic opposite.

Because they're bad. That's it. Nothing wrong with enjoying bad games, it's your life and do whatever you want, but by an objective measure it isn't that hard to understand why games get compared and why games get shit on.

the witcher 3 - This one has the most varying criticisms I've ever seen, and it stands to reason on this list, it's the most popular. You can ask anyone and their father about what's wrong with it, but I've seen it typically comes down to, "lul look at this bioware-like cinematic trash," or "this isn't even an rpg." My personal problem with it is that I just find it lame.
DOS/DOS2 - One crowd says they're the last bastion of tried and true RPG creators, and then people like me think that's pretentious because it's ZoomZoom's first RPG and that's how Larian makes their games, right down to the whole appeal being the majority of it's fans admitting "it's fun with friends."
Dark souls - When this came out, there wasn't anything out there like it. It gained a reputation for being "Only prestigious true gamers play and beat this," and now I know 3 guys's girlfriends who play this side by side with Animal Crossing.
dragon age inquision - The first two had the criticism of being cinematic romance simulators but they at least had some noteworthy things about them with the gameplay being decent to meh-tier. This one though, may as well have never existed and didn't need to due to story reasons and shit gameplay.
pathfinder - Something to do with classes.
Baldurs gate 3 - I hate this so much. Why? It's not Baldur's Gate, it's DOS3, it's not finished but sells at full price, and it's ZoomZoom's Bizarre Adventure 2: Electric Boogaloo
pillars of eternity - The same amount of reading as Planescape Torment, maybe a little more, but utter tripe.
solasta crown of the magister - Wouldn't know.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Modern games, really?
Arcanum-shit on
PST-shit on
Morrowind-shit on
NWN oc-shit on
NWN2 oc-shit on
BG1-shit on
The only perfect game, according to these forums, is Dark Souls. So, everything should be compared to it and it should be mentioned in every other post no matter how tiresome and trite these comparisons have become.
Different audiences. I once got a call from a friend I'd given a big-boxed copy of Fallout 1 to; he called me lamenting that his character was blue... yes. He asked me [hopefully] if the color would change if he picked up some other outfit. Pearls before swine.

*Split post after edit (didn't see it was already rated).

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Modern games, really?
Arcanum-shit on
PST-shit on
Morrowind-shit on
NWN oc-shit on
NWN2 oc-shit on
BG1-shit on
The only perfect game, according to these forums, is Dark Souls. So, everything should be compared to it and it should be mentioned in every other post no matter how tiresome and trite these comparisons have become.
Different audiences. I once got a call from a friend I'd given a big-boxed copy of Fallout 1 to; he called me lamenting that his character was blue... yes. He asked me [hopefully] if the color would change if he picked up some other outfit. Pearls before swine.
Refusing to play a game because your character is blue is some next level sort of taste.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Because modern games are increasingly braindead and treat you like you‘re braindead, too
games like pathfinder or divinity original sin 2 treat you like u are braindead? there were some rly good puzzle that forced you to think , alot of my friends droped DOS2 because of the puzzles
And you've already been explained that the first Pathfinder was well received on the codex. It really was, for the most part. Apparently you are one of those people who can write but can't read. Wrath just seems to be garbage, i haven't even pirated it despite liking Kingmaker. But that's because writing seems really, really, and i mean really shit. Also literally. There are limits of shit people can take even if gameplay might be semi-decent.
There are some games (crpg and close) from the past couple of years that are liked by the Codex. Some were already mentioned. They just aren't some of the ones you mentioned.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Shiting on games, seriously ? Pfff, I have seen 4 year taking bigger dumps. This is how its done properly, just look how the fear and awe spreads with dominating firepower! Nothing like the whiny bitching that is so common place at the codex.

Machocruz

Arcane
Underrail, Rimworld and Battle Brothers are modern, and they are incline. Modern AAA is mostly mindless monkey button pushing. Minecraft demands more from the player than most of them. But that's not even a bad thing. What is bad is how many formerly deep, complex, or detailed games/series got watered down into brainlet baby food. Codex still hasn't gotten over what they did to Thief, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, Elder Scrolls, etc.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
why do so many people here hate modern games ?

Modern technology is great, but the modern mentality of game design is mostly shit—especially with modern RPGs.
*With an understandable bent towards pop-a-mole marketability. They do know their audience; generally.

Sequels tend to reflect inappropriate modern gameplay trends—even when contradictory to the previous games. Instead building upon the series foundation, they more often than not replace the game mechanics with something stupid that defeats the purpose of the previous mechanic they replaced. Just look at the Bard's Tale 4. IMO Krome's BT remaster outclassed InXile's BT4—which to me seemed like a Frayed Knight's clone.

bt-frayed_3.gif

The new games are simplified (to suit a simple audience, for mass sales). Look at the Witcher series. The first one was superb, the second had nearly everything (I'd appreciated) in W1 stripped out of it; including Geralt's pragmatic personality, his combat styles—even the alternate camera rigs, and they even got rid of his own facial likeness. Geralt does not look like the same person after W1; doesn't behave like him either; not in conversation, or combat.

They some how screwed up the dice game after W1, and they replaced the bar fights with quicktime events.

They stupefied the alchemy system.

Studios do this and in their own hubris believe they have —fixed— it, when they never understood it to begin with; or believed that nobody else [who matter to them] would.

Some of the Bethesada Devs admitted that they had never played Fallout, others had never even heard of Fallout, and yet they shipped FO3, and derided the fanbase as unpleasable, and said they were okay with it. As above, they ignored the foundation of the franchise, and reskinned Oblivion—which is all they ever intended. Why indeed hate the modern games...

This parody is funny as hell because to an extent it is more or less true, and the situation is getting worse every year.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom