Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why Does The Codex Download Shit Onto My PC?

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Do you automatically allow downloads without prompting you where to save them?

Bring up the list of downloads, right click on the .htm file in question and Copy Download Link and paste it here.

Codex Year of the Donut
ah yea I can trigger it too from the mainpage, but doesn't always happen, couldn't get it to trigger with the network profiler open
firefox 100

[edit]
got it with the network profiler open, don't see shit related to it, maybe a firefox bug

Last edited:

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath

Bring up the list of downloads, right click on the .htm file in question and Copy Download Link and paste it here.

The "copied" link is about:blank, lol. I am having trouble replicating this with no extensions installed, btw.

asfasdf

robot
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
ah yea I can trigger it too from the mainpage, but doesn't always happen, couldn't get it to trigger with the network profiler open
firefox 100

[edit]
got it with the network profiler open, don't see shit related to it, maybe a firefox bug

I ran in Firefox with network inspection and no blockers and wtf, 400 requests in 5 seconds. What is this site doing.

asfasdf

robot
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
After careful investigation, these are my findings:

• I found quite a few people complaining of similar issues recently on FireFox in other sites;
  • Blocking www.youtube.com on DevTools seems to have stopped the file download (it seems to have stopped the trailers for those awful games on main page also, which is probably a plus). At least I was getting the file downloads consistently without blocking www.youtube.com, but I can't reproduce the download thing with it blocked;
  • Blocking youtube and using uBlock reduced the initial requests on the site to 35 over 2 min, which is much more sane.

Anyway it seems something on the endless requests that the youtube embedding initiates causes the issue. I suspect it is pages like this: https://www.youtube.com/embed/xwpsim2733A, which fail for some reason and the ending of the URL gets downloaded as an empty .htm as consequence of some FF bug.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
firefox is doing this for me too. it seems to be specific to firefox

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Youtube has been having issues for month. I wager Youtube is the problem in most of these instances.

Info: Videos have been pausing after 50 seconds to a minute for a long time now. Really wish there was a non retarded alternative.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hello Fellow Codexers.

hitler.jpg

Fireblade

Erudite
If I clear my history, exit & re-enter Firefox, bring up rpgcodex.net, and then hit the "Forums" button on the top navbar, I always get between about 2 and 10 of these empty random-name .htm files trying to download. It's not addon-related, still happens with all addons disabled. Probably a Firefox bug but must be something about the Codex page that's triggering it?

edit: after further tinkering, maybe not "always", just most of the time.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
almost definitely caused by youtube embeds
don't think codex can do much about it, just wait until shitfox fixes it

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter

I have severe type 2 ADHD and I could not resist replying to you. Please leave your name and number and try again!

EDIT:
I am not retarded. I am only pretending to be retarded!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom