Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why is Gothic series so culty?

Codex Year of the Donut
gothic 2 is an amazing game because it was the first immersive turnip picking simulator

I understand some folks like to start the game by fighting dragon with ultra-mega-legendary-mithril balde +12 to light radius, but in Gothic, even those early minor quests serve a purpose: to show MC's place in the world and his position in social hierarchy AS WELL as establish certain socioeconomic facets of the setting (farmer's rebellion being one of the main plotpoints - yes, farming is important shit in G2). Also, that turnip quest takes what, two minutes to complete?

Funny that one the one hand you criticize Gothics as 'TPP action games', and then lash on one of the quests that has no action whatsoever.

BTW both Third Person Perspective AND action also serve putposes of 'immersion'. It would be much harder to immerse player into the game if it was presented f.e. from isometric perspective (too impersonal), or if he didn't directly control action of the main character.
I'm glad we agree that it's not an RPG but a third person action game.

Reina

Arcane
I'm glad we agree that it's not an RPG but a third person action game.

So, true RPGs are now restricted in terms of perspective and player input? Is that part of officially approved RPG Codex defintion of the RPG? In that case, what perspectives are offically approved RPG perspectives? Does First Person one count? Dragon Age also had TPP and action, is that not an RPG?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You haven't responded to any counterpoints made to your insipid and blatantly stupid points. You're discussing like a liberal. When you get owned, you move the topic to something else. And when some poor idiot answers your latest question, you'll make a stupid quip, wait one or two pages, and then ask the next stupid question.

barricade

Educated
nostalgia.

there, i solved this thread.
But we played Archolos just last year and loved it. And I replayed them recently as well and they hold up fine.

This nostalgia argument is what dismissive 20-29 year olds try to use who haven't played enough games yet and think using this word will save them having to discuss using coherent arguments.

it has shit graphics, shit combats, shit story, shit controls. is that coherent enough or are you gonna keep crying over a 20yo video game?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
'dex surely declined in recent years. Even Andhaira presented some arguments in his trolling in the years past. Nowadays we get IGN-tier retarded trolls.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
'dex surely declined in recent years. Even Andhaira presented some arguments in his trolling in the years past. Nowadays we get IGN-tier retarded trolls.
poles seething because they're now realizing their favorite game is just an ocarina of time knockoff
Yes, I had never realized I loved a turd, but your thought-provoking argumentation elucidated this matter.

JDR13

Arcane

Sure, Gothic 1 & 2 have been surpassed by now
by what
Well, I suppose it depends on what you like. I don't think many games have surpassed them in terms of atmosphere, but I'd argue there might be a few that are bigger and better overall. If writing and characters are your thing, then I'd say The Witcher 3. If you're only about combat and exploration, then Elden Ring. Those games obviously have a huge advantage though in being many years newer.

In the early 2000's, there was nothing that could touch the Gothic series or even really came close.

Ladonna

Arcane
It's funny looking at the topic heading and reading through the thread. The only cult behaviour I have seen here has been by the haters. "Waaah you need to hate the Gothic games! I hate them! You have to hate them too! They are OLD, the graphics are SHIT, the controls are HARD, did I say they were OLD? and they aren't even CRPG's"

:hearnoevil:
:gumpyhead:Next gen only

Codex Year of the Donut
It's funny looking at the topic heading and reading through the thread. The only cult behaviour I have seen here has been by the haters. "Waaah you need to hate the Gothic games! I hate them! You have to hate them too! They are OLD, the graphics are SHIT, the controls are HARD, did I say they were OLD? and they aren't even CRPG's"

Notice I never once said I hated the games, the brainwashed get angry if you merely don't consider them to be the best games ever made.

Ladonna

Arcane
Notice I never once said I hated the games, the brainwashed get angry if you merely don't consider them to be the best games ever made.

Oh? I didn't realise you enjoyed "German brain washing simulators", "Turnip picking games", "mediocre 3D action" games Rusty.

barricade

Educated

controls are not hard, they're tedious but you get used to it. also, i didn't hate those games, i just don't understand what's so "culty" about it.

that's funny how people in here can get so triggered when you dare criticizing their favorite games.

Ladonna

Arcane
i just don't understand what's so "culty" about it.

Nor do I. I came for the cult behaviour, but only saw it in reverse.
that's funny how people in here can get so triggered when you dare criticizing their favorite games.

Pretty normal behaviour. Start a thread and talk about how shit Fallout is and see what happens. Fallout enjoyers will rush to the defence, which is expected.

I wouldn't say the Gothics are my "favourite" RPG's, but I enjoyed the first two quite a bit. Certainly enough to play through them a couple of times so far. Even the third one had some charms, though I got bored with it and never bothered completing it.

By the way, what is your favourite CRPG? rusty_shackleford what is yours?

Ladonna

Arcane
Starflight, amiga version
I wasn't expecting that. I still remember how awesome it was, coming from the C64, and seeing those planets slowly grow on the screen as you came into orbit. Very Star Trek experience overall and remains a great game to this day.

Just be careful though, that game is nearing 40 years old Rusty, you might get some criticism for liking such an ancient game.

Codex Year of the Donut
Start a thread and talk about how shit Fallout is and see what happens. Fallout enjoyers will rush to the defence, which is expected.

don't give me ideas like that, i might be tempted
The main attack surface of Fallout is how short it is. It's too short for any of the bad parts to shine through, which is why FO2 gets most of the criticisms.

Just call it a demo for the real game(FO2) to get them upset.

Ladonna

Arcane
The main attack surface of Fallout is how short it is.

This was my criticism of the game after I finished it when it was first released. I really enjoyed the game, but at the time, to me, it was like a short, bargain version of Wasteland, which in hindsight is a bit cruel and misses out on the different roleplaying aspects Fallout introduced (not to mention the excellent sound track, design, etc). Great little package though.

I won't go into more details though. This is the Gothic thread after all.

This nostalgia argument is what dismissive 20-29 year olds try to use who haven't played enough games yet and think using this word will save them having to discuss using coherent arguments.

I'm getting pretty nostalgic for 2017, when I played through G1 and G2 for a first time, might just reinstall them when I'm done replaying Risen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom