Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why is Gothic series so culty?

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Do you have a TEDx talk about what is an RPG too?
I've heard this is a good reference manual for what an RPG is:

awithpride.png

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Do you have a TEDx talk about what is an RPG too?
I've heard this is a good reference manual for what an RPG is:

awithpride.png
Sorry guys, you probably looked here on RPGCodex for friends sharing your values and sexual interests, but that's not what RPG stands for, at least in this community. It's about games, no, not sexual games. Just Pen & paper or video games based on the idea.

Perhaps you'd feel more at home on Reddit or 4chan.

Geckabor

Savant
Well, I suppose it depends on what you like. I don't think many games have surpassed them in terms of atmosphere, but I'd argue there might be a few that are bigger and better overall. If writing and characters are your thing, then I'd say The Witcher 3. If you're only about combat and exploration, then Elden Ring. Those games obviously have a huge advantage though in being many years newer.
None of these games provide what Gothic does.

In which other game can I follow Valentino through the dark alleys of Khorinis at night, beat him up when the guards aren't watching, take the key to his house in the noble quarter, have him wake up and before he starts reporting me to the guards, cast a memory loss spell on him? The first time I played Gothic 2, I was getting beaten up trying to get recruited by the mercenaries. Bullco was an extremely tough guy, but I knew that if I beat him, I'd solve a quest and maybe also get some more respect from the mercenaries. One thing I noticed when walking around the place was that every morning Bullco goes to piss on a tree, leaving him wide open for a surprise attack. It was still a hard fight, but gave me a satisfying advantage.

An important thing to note is that none of these interactions were scripted in any way. No RPG has surpassed Gothic in this aspect yet and I'm not sure if there ever will be one. There are of course other things as well, but most of those have been mentioned in this thread. Obviously not everyone will get this sort of "spark" that Gothic enjoyers have when playing the game, so in that case I think a 7/10 is actually quite fair. Morrowind also has tons of objective flaws but it doesn't stop me from seeing it as a 9/10 or 10/10 game (yes, you can like both Gothic and Morrowind lol).

The age thing is blatantly false too, because I'm pretty sure all Gothic fans/enjoyers regularly replay the series. The game holds up extremely well.

Harthwain

Magister
In addition, you can improve the visuals of both Gothic and Morrowind, if that's the only thing holding you off from trying them, so even the "game is ugly" argument doesn't hold up.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Gothic 2 is a 10 you psychos

Depends on what a 10/10 is on the scale. If its some illusive perfect game with god tier content from hour 0 till the end, perfect controls on the highest technical level then yeah Gothic2 is a 7/10. But that means the best Bethesda game is a 5/10. Because Gothic shits on every Bethesda game from a mile high.

JDR13

Arcane
Well, I suppose it depends on what you like. I don't think many games have surpassed them in terms of atmosphere, but I'd argue there might be a few that are bigger and better overall. If writing and characters are your thing, then I'd say The Witcher 3. If you're only about combat and exploration, then Elden Ring. Those games obviously have a huge advantage though in being many years newer.
None of these games provide what Gothic does.

In which other game can I follow Valentino through the dark alleys of Khorinis at night, beat him up when the guards aren't watching, take the key to his house in the noble quarter, have him wake up and before he starts reporting me to the guards, cast a memory loss spell on him? The first time I played Gothic 2, I was getting beaten up trying to get recruited by the mercenaries. Bullco was an extremely tough guy, but I knew that if I beat him, I'd solve a quest and maybe also get some more respect from the mercenaries. One thing I noticed when walking around the place was that every morning Bullco goes to piss on a tree, leaving him wide open for a surprise attack. It was still a hard fight, but gave me a satisfying advantage.

An important thing to note is that none of these interactions were scripted in any way. No RPG has surpassed Gothic in this aspect yet and I'm not sure if there ever will be one. There are of course other things as well, but most of those have been mentioned in this thread. Obviously not everyone will get this sort of "spark" that Gothic enjoyers have when playing the game, so in that case I think a 7/10 is actually quite fair. Morrowind also has tons of objective flaws but it doesn't stop me from seeing it as a 9/10 or 10/10 game (yes, you can like both Gothic and Morrowind lol).

The age thing is blatantly false too, because I'm pretty sure all Gothic fans/enjoyers regularly replay the series. The game holds up extremely well.
I didn't say they provided the same thing. In fact, I specifically said most games haven't surpassed Gothic in terms of atmosphere.

As for Morrowind being a 9/10 or 10/10... :retarded:

And no the age thing is not false. You either didn't understand what I was saying or your nostalgia glasses are too thick to see it. Of course fans enjoy replaying the series. That's part of what nostalgia is. Yes, the games have held up well, but that doesn't change the fact that playing a game for the first time 20 years after it was released isn't the same as playing it when it was new.

Skdursh

Savant
You can attack people for no discernable reason completely at random and then rob them and something about that just feels... very... good...

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
You either didn't understand what I was saying or your nostalgia glasses are too thick to see it. Of course fans enjoy replaying the series. That's part of what nostalgia is.
No, it's not. It's p. much the exact opposite of it. You can't be nostalgic about games you keep playing, the girlfriend you are currently dating or the school you are still attending. That's precisely what makes the "it's just nostalgia goggles bro" arguments so moronic when used in context of old games that still enjoy vibrant, active communities.

Then again, you are a person who thought it's appropriate to namedrop witcher 3 and rouls to person asking about worthy gothic follow ups, so I really dunno.

JDR13

Arcane
You either didn't understand what I was saying or your nostalgia glasses are too thick to see it. Of course fans enjoy replaying the series. That's part of what nostalgia is.
No, it's not. It's p. much the exact opposite of it. You can't be nostalgic about games you keep playing, the girlfriend you are currently dating or the school you are still attending. That's precisely what makes the "it's just nostalgia goggles bro" arguments so moronic when used in context of old games that still enjoy vibrant, active communities.

Then again, you are a person who thought it's appropriate to namedrop witcher 3 and rouls to person asking about worthy gothic follow ups, so I really dunno.
Another person who doesn't understand what I was saying.

I'm talking about the difference between someone replaying a game that they really loved in the past vs someone playing it for the first time. The person who played it before will often gloss over the faults because they're already biased. Someone playing a 20 year old game for the first time isn't going to see it the same way as that guy who played it when it was new. That's a fact.

Also, I never said it's just nostalgia. I'm actually a big fan of Gothic 1 & 2 and Piranha Bytes in general. I'm simply saying that nostalgia is often a factor whether you're aware of it or not.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Nostalgia is longing for something from the past that you imagine in an idealistic way. Ie thinking fondly about the time your old gf gave you your first bj and dismissing the fact that she was generally a bitch or you thinking school was fun despite the fact you probably had to wear the dunce hat more often than not. Modern PC player having all the crpgs from last five decides within the reach of his palm and choosing to play some ahead of others has nothing to do with nostalgia, regardless of how old the games are. And someone enjoying a game from bazilion years ago now and thinking it is great does not mean they don't see its flaws or deem it spotless. Why would you even assume such utterly dumb and vague thing. Rhetorical question btw.

JDR13

Arcane
Nostalgia is longing for something from the past that you imagine in an idealistic way. Ie thinking fondly about the time your old gf gave you your first bj and dismissing the fact that she was generally a bitch or you thinking school was fun despite the fact you probably had to wear the dunce hat more often than not. Modern PC player having all the crpgs from last five decides within the reach of his palm and choosing to play some ahead of others has nothing to do with nostalgia, regardless of how old the games are. And someone enjoying a game from bazilion years ago now and thinking it is great does not mean they don't see its flaws or deem it spotless. Why would you even assume such utterly dumb and vague thing. Rhetorical question btw.
I can't tell if you're actually this fucking stupid or just trolling.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom