Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Why the hell aren't there more "space opera" / futuristic CRPGs?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Louis_Cypher, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    A black Chani and a female Liet? Come now. Seriously? Might as well make Heimdall black.

^ Top  
  2. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Poor little snowflake can't handle some race and gender swapping. How sad.

• retadred retadred x 2
    • Up Yours Up Yours x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Whisper Arcane Vatnik

Whisper
    It is like film about Martin Luther King who is played by white women. And constantly ask other white people in film why they hate her skin colour and her gender.

Some race and gender swapping is good, yo.

• honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Funny how the libtard white cuck didn't pick up on he black Heimdall comment.

^ Top  
  5. Darkzone Arcane

Darkzone
    Ok i like that that statement. But I would change your name into Hermes Trismegistos, because it is greek not latin: Ἑρμῆς ὁ Τρισμέγιστος . The title / nickname "Trismegistus" (Thrice Great) is the latinised form from the late medieval times by Marsilio Ficino by translating the hellenistic treatise (into latin) from the second century AD that is known as "Corpus Hermeticum", but the correct latinization would be Mercurius Ter Maximus. And yes i know that the english speaking nations use "Trismegistus" since to copy a mistake is not a mistake.
    Normally i wouldn't be that nitpicky, but in this case i make an exception.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Are you sure? Nu-S. Trek went out of its way to rape the corpse of the original and mutilate it. I doubt the original writers were thinking about "modern year" when doing the show. I admit it was idealistic to hell and back, but compared to trashfire like this...

^ Top  
  7. Hermes Trismegistus Literate

Hermes Trismegistus
    A mistake repeated enough times becomes the norm, almost nobody knows Mercurius Ter Maximums, but they do know Hermes. Besides, old Hermes do not think you can change name once taken one. Good post nonetheless.
    Yes, I am very sure, and they did not rape any corpses, they followed through on the original idea. Same as America of today is the same thing as was planted during the founding. Would the originators like what they see if here today? Probably not, but this is what they seeded.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. wahrk Educated

wahrk
    Eh, I don’t know if I agree with this. Nu-Trek doesn’t “follow through” on the original ideals, it completely ignores them and I often doubt if the current writers even know what the original ideals were. Original Trek was an idealistic version of humanity who had solved their issues. It imagined the future of scientific progress as we understood it and some of its best episodes were characters sitting in a room debating philosophical and moral issues of their mission.

Nu-Trek is a dark, violent action movie where the federation is heavy-handed leftist commentary of current-year America and isn’t the slightest bit concerned with science or philosophy. That‘s not Star Trek and it’s certainly not Roddenberry’s vision. It’s not a natural “growth” of that vision as much as it is a complete refutation.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Ashigara Literate

Ashigara
    I guess you are arguing Star Trek's liberal or progressive values sowed the seeds for the current state of Star Trek or contributed to the current state of popular culture?

Like a SJW author being witch hunted by their own mob over a Twitter post?

Let's examine it, because I'm not sure the two are alike. Star Trek is sometimes called 'communist' by Star Wars fans, and has acquired this reputation through repetition because it depicts a society that is largely post-scarcity (barring strategic resources like dilithium). A post-scarcity society was the religious end point for communists.

[​IMG]

But the economy always seems to have had private property, even if it resembles a welfare state. It is hard to make out but they seem to use energy credits or something (universal basic income maybe), and Starfleet officers may receive sone form of pay. It might simply be that basic rights have expanded to include most services but scarce resources like beachfront homes require money/credits. It's now more clear in JJ Trek that brands and companies exist.

So is Star Trek subject to a grand misunderstanding? Could it even be... conservative?

[​IMG]

It does afterall have distinct national cultures, and while progressive, it offers a place for everyone and respect for traditions like European culture, scientific achievement or performing Shakespeare.

The thing is, Star Trek's Federation was a gradual evolution - it wasn't established violently by a Marxist 'vanguard party' at the expense of innocent lives, in a coup or revolution - United Earth was established by consensus - Star Trek's metaphysics and ethics were never post-modern or intersectional, and was humanist (therefore universalist like Christianity) rather than identarian - if anything it kinda resembles Ayn Rand's objectivism, or classical liberalism - Gene Roddenbury may have been influenced by Rand - a common feature between the two is absolute adherence to materialist metaphysics: objective reality, even if the Federation seems to have features of a welfare state.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Mark.L.Joy Savant

Mark.L.Joy
    Star Trek had eugenics war before things started to go right lmao.

^ Top  
  11. Ashigara Literate

Ashigara
    That's an interesting thing about the setting, humanity suffered a further shock in the form of nuclear war, before adopting Greek reason and science in place of today's sophistry. Just like the Vulcans and Surak.

^ Top  
  12. Nifft Batuff Arbiter

Nifft Batuff
    More importantly: are space orcs racist too?

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. wahrk Educated

wahrk
    Also, Trek was pretty consistent with its ideals from the 60s up until the early 2000s - even if the quality was slowly declining, it was still clearly Star Trek. The recent decline was fairly sudden and coincides with the people in charge of running it...
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Heresy Heresy x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    The nose never lies.

^ Top  
  15. Butter Arcane

Butter
    Rick Berman, Michael Piller, and Ira Steven Behr were all members of the nose tribe. They just gave a shit about preserving Gene's legacy.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.